Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Boar It posted:

Just bought Live Standard (still waiting for the EDU verification though so I'm limited to the demo mode) and I'm clicking around and seeing that opening the drum synth devices opens up Max 4 Live. I thought that was only for Suite and up? No idea how to use it and not something I'm interested in at the moment either way but still curious. Also the drum synth itself seems a bit underwhelming since it is just a couple of devices with a few knobs unless I'm missing something. But it is alright since I realize standard is more of a platform for you to build upon, and I look forward to that part.
I was pretty close to buying Suite since I abhor installing external plugins with all of their archaic DRMs and software that don't give you any control of where to install them, but I guess I'll just have to deal with that for now even though it annoys me a great deal. Once I've gotten better I'll probably pick up some external stuff from Native Instruments etc, lots and lots of options.

What I'm most excited about is the ability to have more than 8 tracks in a project. :v:

your demo version might be the Suite demo.

max for live comes with suite, and can be purchased separately for the standard version. it's very likely that when you go from demo to full standard version, the M4L devices will disappear/no longer work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

not specifically ableton live related but i just got a PC with windows 10 preinstalled and get a lot of crackling through my Motu M4 audio interface unless I put the buffer size really high, like 50ms of latency as a result. windows 10 was like 15ms without issues.

anyone have any experience getting windows 11 to perform as expected with a DAW?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I've used win11 with studio one, ableton and reaper with a UMC404HD as well as a Tascam. I appear to be using the maximum buffer right now, but on this device that is 256 samples @ 96khz so that is, uh, 2.7ms latency which is barely noticeably as a slight reverb effect when the DAC is 50/50 mixed between input vs computer. My latency problems show up when I dump gobs of VSTs on stuff in real time, as you'd expect.

Are your overall levels good? Motu M4 looks like basically the same specs as the tascam I have.

e: i stand corrected; I am indeed using 256 samples, the device goes up to 2048 so that's more like 20ms which would, indeed, piss me off.

not sure what you mean by overall levels but:

basically if i use less than 2048 samples, i get crackles even in youtube audio running in firefox with like a couple tabs open, no other major apps, and i haven't even installed things like wallpaper engine, displayfusion, etc that i had running on windows 10 with no problems at all

i get crackles in ableton even at 4096 samples. i confirmed i'm using ASIO and not MME/DirectX

i've tried a couple things like disabling the onboard audio device, disable exclusive mode, different sample rates, nothing is helping so far. it all worked perfectly on windows 10 with no fuss

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Boar It posted:

Well this place is quiet to say the least. But maybe someone knows what is up with this orange message I keep getting in Ableton since getting a new midi controller?

https://imgur.com/a/xSvuGKt Imgur things Ableton is NSFW so it refuses to embed it seems. But basically I got a Keylab Essential MK3 and whenever I use any instruments or play drums or whatever I keep seeing this orange message. Even when I am using my Launchkey mini it still shows this message or a variation of it every time I play something.

Another thing I've noticed also is that my Launchkey mini auto-arms any track I select whereas on the Keylab I have to manually arm them. There doesn't seem like there is a way to just auto-arm across the board.

i'm not too sure about the orange text, but

https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/comments/7uetmc/arm_on_selection_is_an_incredible_hidden_feature/

this might help you with the auto arming