Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

prom candy posted:

Core Duo and Core 2 Duo are brand names for Intel's line of processors. Core 2 Duo is dual core... I don't even think Core Duo is dual core, it's kinda misleading.

Core Duo is dual core.

Core 2 Duo is the second (current) generation of the Core processor.

(there is also the single core Core Solo and Core 2 Solo, and the 4-core Core 2 Quad)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Rkelly posted:

For example if you didn't read you would never know you can rename scenes to a time signature and specific bpm. That way every scene in the whole drat thing can have a completely different time signature and bpm.

God drat that's cool (you can also get to it by right clicking on the scene name and selecting Edit Launch Tempo and Edit Launch Time Signature).

There are still a few things about Live that, for me, don't make it the best tool for traditional linear multitrack recording -- things like no labels on the VU meters, no curves in automation envelopes. I haven't upgraded to version 8 yet but I understand they finally added track folders, which had been one of my previous complaints, as it can get pretty out of hand working with large numbers of tracks otherwise.

But it's unrealistic to expect one tool to do EVERYTHING, and there's always a fine line between adding more features and adding bloat -- and a big part of the appeal of Live is that it's so slick and optimized and you can do so much in realtime and have it be fast and stable. And you don't just have to be stuck with just one tool.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Rkelly posted:

You can drag the line between the VU meter and the sends up this, displays numbers on your vu meters. Then use the zoom option in look/feel in preferences. You can have a lot more real estate if you can see very small things.

Can't you turn the grid off in automation view and just draw with the pencil. Or make the grid 64th notes and it is a curve pretty much?

Ah, that's cool about expanding the VU pane to show the peak meter. I still like having numbers printed right on the meter strip, and being able to zoom in so the meter shows a specific amount of headroom, but even being able to see the peak volume per track is a big help.

What I would like to be able to with automation envelopes is for example to instantly change a linear fade to an exponential fade with a single mouse click (and to have the curve auto-adjust itself as I drag the endpoints around). I do this all the time in Sonar, and there's ways to approximate it in Live but it's kind of a pain.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

TylerK posted:

Quick question: in arrangement view, are there any keyboard shortcuts for arming the track and for setting Monitor to "in"? I didn't see any in the keyboard shortcut list, but I'm hoping there's some hidden ones so I don't have to slap together some retarded AutoHotKey script that does it.

You can set one up yourself using Key Map mode.

Click on where it says "Key" in the upper right corner, click on the control you want to automate, then press a keyboard key to map it. Click "Key" again when you're done.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I'm looking to start recording stuff as soon as I finish gearing up, and I want to use Ableton because it seems plenty full-featured and intuitive from the videos I've seen. Would I be able to use Ableton Live to:

[li]Record both bass and guitar (two mics in front of each amp going into a firewire interface is how I assume the setup would need to be)[/li]
[li]Use my MIDI keyboard controller to play around with piano/synth sounds like I can in Reason?[/li]
[li]Use an existing MIDI file to create realistic-sounding drum/marimba/synth tracks?[/li]

Looking at getting Suite 8 if I can do all this. I apologize if I have the wrong idea about how to go about computer recording.

Yes, all of that is a piece of cake.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Popcorn posted:

Can someone tell me how to use EZDrummer in Ableton? All I can find is the 'plugins' button on the left, which lets me select the EZ drummer folder, but I can't figure out where to go from there and open the drat thing.

I've googled it but can't seem to find any instructions. Not ones that seem to work for me, anyway.

I haven't used EZDrummer specifically but it's pretty easy loading plugins into Live.

1) Go to Options -> Preferences, click on the File Folder tab, make sure the VST Plugin Custom Folder is pointing to the right location (plugins can also be located in sub-folders from this path). Click "Rescan Plugins" just to make sure Live sees everything in there.

2) On the left side of the screen, press the Plugins button next to the browser (looks like an electrical plug). Hopefully you will see the EZDrummer folder listed there.

3) Click the little arrow next to the folder, and it should expand and show the actual EZDrummer plugin with an icon that looks like a box that reads "VST". Double click on the VST icon (or drag it into an empty MIDI track) and it should be loaded and ready to use.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Yes, the plugin itself will probably be called something like ezdrummer.dll, and should be in your shared vstplugins directory, and that's what you want to point to.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Afro Thunder posted:

Hey I've been using the Ableton Live Suite 8 demo for a bit now, and I've been mostly using online tutorials to learn and what not. I know there are some lessons that are included with it but whenever I open them they are just Live Sets, and don't really teach me anything other then give me examples. Is this what is it supposed to be or am I just screwing things up?

They're basically a walkthrough of the major sections of the program.

Go to View -> Lessons to make sure the Lessons pane is active on the right, then you can select the different lessons and work through them in any order. You don't want to open the live sets directly because then you won't get the explanatory text.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

prom candy posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I load these files up?

Drop them in [your Ableton Library directory]\Presets\MIDI Effects\Chord (or Scale for the Scale presets).

You'll see a bunch of other .adv files in there already.

(also thanks for these Vas0line, nice find).

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Vanmani posted:

Woo. Just got Live 8 and NI Komplete. I'm gonna be installing all day, Komplete is 12 drat DVDs!

It seriously took me well over 4 hours (including patches) to install Komplete on a crazy fast quad core machine.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

prom candy posted:

I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of things, but how do you record into those clips without it looping back over and destroying what you already recorded? It seems like it's impossible to get the timing down unless you just draw the notes manually.

Also do you even use the clips if you're trying to compose like straight up rock/pop music, or is it generally better to just use the arrangement window?

If you record into a blank clip slot, it will stretch the recording out for as long as you need, and then you can go back later and crop/loop the part that you need.

I spend probably 90% of the time in clip mode, for instance for a rock song I'll have a verse clip and a chorus clip and then paste them into arrangement mode. The only reason I typically ever spend more any time in arrangement mode is if I'm spicing up a MIDI drum track or putting in some automation envelopes.

It's also useful to worth taking a few minutes to figure out how clip follow actions work, so you can chain stuff together right in clip mode.

Dopo posted:

I've recently started reconsidering the classic wav vs. mp3 debate. I don't think there is an audible difference between 320kb/s mp3 and wav when you're just playing the files but I'm going to do some A/B tests tonight between the two using Live's complex time-stretch algorithm. I've been using mp3s for my DJ sets in Live and I'm thinking I may be shortchanging myself. Plus when I record my mixes and compress them to host them online I'm going mp3 -> wav -> mp3 and that can't be good. Unfortunately switching to wav would probably mean spending hundreds in duplicate song purchases. Any thoughts?

wav (or FLAC) all the way here. Disk space is so inexpensive and plentiful and if I'm going to play a track (or sample) in a mix or a live set, I want it to sound as good as it can. As you say, high bitrate mp3 sounds okay on its own, but the encoder does a lot of trickery like bandpass filtering (to reduce noise artifacts) and joint stereo merging (to reduce file size). You can minimize some of those factors if you encode all of your own mp3 but even then, once you start timestretching/pitchshifting tracks and mixing them together, these kinds of processing can become more apparent. And as you say, it's a bad idea to lossy compress a file which was lossy compressed to start with.

I do feel your pain about potentially re-buying music.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I just wrote a tutorial on Audio Effect Racks.

Comments are welcome.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

EMUpirate posted:

Under the Midi Ports in options can someone explain what Track and Sync are used for? I understand remote, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have all 3 active for my controllers. Got my automation problem taken care of btw, thanks a bunch.

"Track" is to transmit MIDI notes (you usually want this on, although there are cases (like if you were playing an external synth that was producing its own local sound) where you might want to turn it off in one direction).

"Sync" is to allow Live to act as a MIDI Clock master/slave or a MIDI Timecode slave to sync with an external sequencer, drum machine, etc. See http://www.tweakheadz.com/sync_mmc_mtc_smpte.htm for a general conceptual overview, but you shouldn't need this unless you have some other hardware device operating on its own clock.

"Remote" is to allow the MIDI device to control the automatable elements of Live's UI.

h_double fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 24, 2009

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Plavski posted:

Is there a matrix step sequencer in Ableton?

There's a flexible note grid editor, but nothing I'd call a traditional step sequencer.

(though you can do some cool things sort of in that direction using MIDI Effect Racks)

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Plavski posted:

Speaking of which, what does everyone here use as a control surface for Ableton?

Mostly a PCR-500 in my home studio, a Trigger Finger in the field with my laptop.

I also have a BCR2000, which I like a lot, though I hardly ever use since I don't have the desk space for it at home, and it's kind of pain that it needs its own AC power.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
People's workflow habits are different enough that it probably makes sense to build your templates from scratch (that's always been the case for me anyway), but by all means use them. A well thought-out project template will save you hours in the long run, hours during which you're all excited to start creating something rather than just reassigning the same MIDI mappings yet again.

I know that pretty much every track I record is going to involve a drum plugin, and that I'll want separate tracks for kick, snare, hats, and other, and that I will want dedicated faders for each, and an EQ + compressor on the kick track. If I'm recording a rock song, I know I'll want a bass track loaded with one of Guitar Rig's bass amp presets. If I'm laying down a techno/acid type song, I know I'll probably want knobs preassigned to control the cutoff/resonance/decay for the bass synth's filter, and I'll want a heavy tempo synced delay on one of the effect sends.

The more you use your software (any software), look for things that you're doing over and over again and spend a while putting together half a dozen or so pretty comprehensive templates, resize everything so it looks good, LABEL THINGS ahead of time, etc.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Lewk posted:

Would the IAC Bus be able to do this? you configure it in audio midi settings on the mac. I think it functions as a virtual midi cable between programs. Not sure about the clock, though. Hmmm.

Live can do MIDI sync via either MIDI Clock (master or slave) or MIDI Timecode (MTC) (slave only) protocols; check the "Synchronizing via MIDI" section in the Live manual. I've found MIDI sync can be a pain in the rear end to get set up, but I've only really used it between hardware devices (not with a virtual MIDI cable situation) but it's worth a try.

SkandalousPanda posted:

I'm looking for a relatively easy way to set up a chopped and screwed type of effect. I'm looking for something I can do in a live setup. Obviously I need to slow the tempo down but what type of effects does live have that will let me repeat the last segment or skip ahead slightly?

Check out Live's builtin Beat Repeat effect; it is pretty powerful although I found it a little confusing at first so you might want to go look up some tutorials on youtube or something.

The dbBlue Glitch VST can also do some sample chop effects; it is free and pretty cool, although it has been used to death so please at least spend some time tweaking the presets.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

prom candy posted:

I could be wrong but I think that means the main stop, pause, play, record-enable buttons.

Correct. I'm pretty sure the term is a holdover from the days of tape, when it referred to the mechanism to move the tape (and record/play heads) around, and the associated controls.

h_double fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 6, 2009

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Plavski posted:

File -> Collect All and Save.

I've found a better/more reliable way (if you plan on sharing the project with others), is:

- View -> File Manager
- Manage Project
- Create Live Pack

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Yoozer posted:

There are no step-sequencers in Ableton.

You can build a analog-style step sequencer as a Rack effect, using each of the 8 macro knobs to set the pitch of one step in the sequence (and using clip follow actions to build sequences longer than 8 steps)

I realize this is sort of kludgey and not what the average casual user is looking for, but it's something you can tweak in realtime, and is generally a cool little application of racks.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I spent most of this afternoon screwing around with TouchOSC, which is an iPhone/iPod Touch app that works like a mini JazzMutant Lemur, letting you build custom touchscreen layouts with faders, buttons, xy pads etc. that you can use to control your music apps via OSC. Live does not support OSC natively so you have to use either Pd + MIDI Yoke (Windows) or OSCulator (Mac) as an intermediary to translate OSC to MIDI. This here walkthough is really helpful if you're on Windows.

It's pretty cool. The small size of the touchscreen is somewhat limiting, but there's something that feels really fluid about controlling things this way, compared to a regular hardware controller. Interface goes a long way.

If you already have an iPhone or a Touch, you should check this out for sure (TouchOSC is $5). If you're using it with a Pd + Live setup, I made a Pd patch that's a little more optimized for Live than the one on the Hexler site -- specifically it makes it easier to use the 4x4 beat grid in the "Simple" template with Live's Drum Racks.

h_double fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 23, 2009

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Plavski posted:

This can only be a good thing, gently caress the monome. Artificially limiting sales to charge ridiculous prices and creating exclusivity and envy is annoying and having much cheaper, more useful competition on the market is a very good thing.

You can already use the APC40 as a monome anyway with a max/msp patch so I hope the monome dies a death.

Yeah gently caress those guys and their innovative, hand built, well engineered trash.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Otach posted:

can someone fill me in on the advantages of Ableton over FL Studio? I'm currently using FL to make experimental/atmospheric/breakcore/industrial/acoustic stuff.

Can Ableton pretty much tackle everything FL can do, and some? is it as easy to use? I did have the demo on my comp for a little bit, but I got the impression that Ableton was meant more for Improvisational / glitch stuff.. or is that just something It can do in addition to being a normal DAW? I found the drum machines it came with to be very weird and rather limited.. Also, how does Abletons sound actually compare to the sound produced by FL; is it higher quality or simply different?

maybe if someone with a good amount of experience with both FL / Ableton can fill me in on why I should explore this reportedly orgasmic program further

The strong point of Live for me (and most people I think) is Session View, which is a terrific way to compose/organize/manipulate music, and pretty unlike the workflow of any other programs I've seen. I also really like Live's automation capabilities and its stability (and the fact that you can do practically EVERYTHING in realtime).

Live doesn't have a lot of built-in synths/tone generators. The basic version of Live only comes with a couple of bare-bones sample players (Simpler, Impulse and Drum Racks). Drum Racks are kind of cool in that it's a 16 pad sampler with a separate effects chain for each pad, but it's not really a substitute for a full-blown drum sampler like Battery. There are a couple of add-on synth plugins (that cost extra) like Sampler (which is a decent equivalent to a hardware rack style sampler), Analog (pretty typical virtual analog synth) and Operator (a 4-operator FM synth) but personally I use third party VSTs for most of my softsynth needs.

Live's built-in effects are generally pretty nice; the EQ, compressor, etc. all sound good and are very flexible. The audio engine itself is fine, though when you ask about comparing the sound quality of the two programs, keep in mind that mostly depends on the quality of your synths, samples, and other recorded material. If you are a fan of the FL bundled synths (I really don't know how FL rates in that department nowadays), then be aware that Live doesn't have the same variety out of the box (at least not the basic version of Live), but if you are using third party synths/samples, then generally any app will potentially sound as good as another.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Is there a way to manually assign a particular MIDI CC to an automation control?

For example, say I have an external hardware rack synth, I want to assign a knob on my USB MIDI controller to CC 18 on that synth. The synth is not capable of sending MIDI data, only receiving. Ergo as far as I can tell, I can automate the synth only with envelopes, not with Live's MIDI learn controls.

I can't for the life of me figure out why Live doesn't let you manually add entries to the automation list. Is there a workaround?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Computer Jones posted:

I was literally about to come in and post this (specifically mod wheel and pitch bend CCs)

I'd love to do this inside the piano roll bit if at all possible. I'm still using Live 6 though, so maybe things have changed since.

If you double click on a MIDI clip to edit it, there's a little round "E" button in the lower left that you can click to get into envelope edit mode. From there, you can add envelopes for any MIDI CC, which you can edit either with the draw tool or by adding/moving automation points.

The part I don't know how to do is to bind an arbitray CC# to a control surface.

h_double fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 19, 2009

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Reaper is $60 for a personal use license, which is probably adequate for 95% of the user base. Considering the quality of the program, the reasonable price, and the generous evaluation policy, people should support the poo poo out of Cockos.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

colonp posted:

What are your biggest annoyances with Live?

- Can't directly edit automation mappings outside of the "learn" function. This is a huge pain if you ever want to set up automation with, say, a rackmount synth that doesn't have any onboard controls to "learn" from.

- Can't record automation data into clips (Ableton claims this would require a pretty fundamental redesign of the program and is unlikely to happen anytime soon)

- No curves in automation envelopes

- Can't change the scale of VU meters

also it's not an annoyance per se, but the MIDI editing in Live is pretty basic compared to the likes of Sonar or Cubase.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

mezzir posted:

Wait what?
Must be confusing my terminology cause I swear you can do that.

Nope, you can draw automation into a clip, but you can't map a knob on a control surface and record the knob movements at the clip level, only into tracks in Arrange mode.

The thing that's a little wacky is that clip-level automation envelopes are an offset, not an absolute value. If you add clip automation for a MIDI CC (say, for a filter's cutoff frequency), it is not sending an absolute value from 0-127, it's sending a percentage from 0-100. So if you have a synth preset where that cutoff frequency is initially 0, drawing an automation envelope into a clip for that parameter isn't going to have any effect, since X% of 0 is always 0.

Ableton's argument is that if clips + arrange mode tracks BOTH sent absolute values for automation data, there would be no way for the program to know which automation takes priority. With the current arrangement you CAN do some neat things like draw a wild zig-zaggy filter sweep into the clip automation, and then put a gradual fade in/out of the same control at the track/arrange level. But the other 90% of the time I wish I could just directly record the automation into the clip. It seems like there ought to be a setting where you could declare a clip (or even individual envelope) as either "relative" or "absolute", people have been clamoring for this for several years but so far no go.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Mandals posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't edit automation in clips. They've said a while back that to allow this would require a fairly substantial rewrite of the entire application. That said, people keep clamoring for it so it may show up in V9.

You can manually edit clip automation -- click the little "E" in the lower left of the clips pane to bring up the envelope tab, then select the envelope you want to edit. You can use the draw tool or the select tool to draw/move/delete automation points.

What you can't do is record clip automation with an external MIDI controller; you can only do that in Arrange mode.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Also it looks like Max for Live is out now; they sent me an email offering me an upgrade sale of US$458 to upgrade Live 7 -> 8 ($179 by itself), plus Max for Live.

Anybody had a chance to give it a try yet?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Vernacular posted:

Might be a dumb question, but does the VCI-100 work with Ableton for DJing? I've been using Traktor for the past 2 years but I'm looking to start learning Ableton as well

The buttons and faders should be easy to map into Live, but I'm not sure that anybody has had much luck getting the wheels to work. You might want to poke around on the djtechtools.com forums.

penneydude posted:

You could just use an arpeggiator on random mode and somehow press all the keys on your keyboard, ha...

Or use the Random MIDI effect build into Live.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

No. 9 posted:

I'm coming to Live from Cubase, how do I get a drum map editor in the MIDI instead of a keyboard?

You don't. Live's MIDI implementation is pretty basic compared to the likes of Cubase/Sonar/etc.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
It sounds like No. 9 wants something that shows meaningful names for the drums, instead of the keyboard in MIDI edit mode, so that you don't have to remember that G#1 = pedal hi hat.

Using drum racks is okay if you're playing single sampled hits, but doesn't help you if you're using a full-on drum sampler like Battery.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

colonp posted:

What's wrong with this?

Yes, you can do that with drum racks, but not (as far as I know) with other drum samplers.

h_double fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 3, 2009

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

k0konutz posted:

Can you just create X amount of audio tracks and route your tracks to them, and then record onto the newly created tracks? Then you can export each new audio file and it'll have all the processed audio. This is how I usually bounce in Pro Tools, called an "internal layback."

That sounds like probably the safest approach.

If you're exporting your tracks one at a time, watch out for things like sidechaining, where one track's behavior might influence another.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

FLX posted:

Is it possible to multitrack-record from several input devices simultaneously (e.g. from a USB input device and the computer's internal soundcard line-in)? I did this in Audition a couple of times, but it seems I can only select one input device in Ableton and then only route the device's channels to separate tracks.

I think you can do this in MacOS by creating an aggregate audio device, but otherwise the ASIO spec does not support multiple devices running simultaneously.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

SO... After running into that 'interface losing connectivity' issue AGAIN the other night, I think I finally found the real issue. Apparently the MBOX doesn't like sharing a computer with any FW800 devices. I'm pretty pissed about this as it means - not only do I have to swap drives between applications, but - I can't leave my 'session backup' drive connected, and must run sessions off my home drive. I think I can deal with using the 400 port on my new drive until I get the 003Rack+, but I'm hoping that doesn't have the same issue. So, for anyone owning an MBOX II, don't even try connecting a FW800 drive to your system.

Could you maybe run the two devices on separate firewire controllers?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
It will also be better provided you have a decent ASIO audio interface.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Vanmani posted:

You may just be experiencing digital clipping, try turning down the gain, or apply some mastering compression.

Compression won't do any good if you're putting too hot a signal into the interface's line in.

But yeah, try turning down your POD pennywisdom, and check in the audio interface's mixer applet (or Windows control panel if you don't have one) to make sure you're not spiking your signal into the red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Mandals posted:

How do you guys manage your files? I got in the bad habit of not cropping my sample when looping them in the editing window, and now I'm pretty sure I've got gigs and gigs of audio I'll never use that is just taking up space.

Is there any way to automatically delete sounds that aren't referenced in any projects and/or is there any way to, within a project, delete all audio that isn't in use or referenced by a clip?

If you save the project under a different name, it should discard any recorded audio that isn't referenced in clip or arrangement view.

The thing I've run into is that I'll start a new track by loading a template (with, say, 8 or so channels pre-routed and loaded with basic effects) and then I'll start recording some guitars or whatever, and when I have something I like I'll save it under a new name. The problem is that after a while the template accumulates hundreds of megs worth of audio that I recorded before I re-saved the project under its own name (but once the project is saved as a new name, it doesn't transfer over all of the old orphaned stuff).

As for file management in general, I've found the best organizational method for me is creating a subdirectory per month and saving everything under that. One thing I REALLY wish Live had was a simple text notepad screen attached to each file for note-taking purposes. Sonar has this and I use the heck out of it (I realize I could probably build a notepad widget easily enough if I had Max4Live).