Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
If anyone is shopping for the APC40 controller, I just picked one up at Guitar Center for $350 with a $50 off coupon they're running this month. That's the best deal I've found for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Yessir. It was the last one they had in stock. I'd be in heaven if my audio interface didn't die on me.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
I've recently started reconsidering the classic wav vs. mp3 debate. I don't think there is an audible difference between 320kb/s mp3 and wav when you're just playing the files but I'm going to do some A/B tests tonight between the two using Live's complex time-stretch algorithm. I've been using mp3s for my DJ sets in Live and I'm thinking I may be shortchanging myself. Plus when I record my mixes and compress them to host them online I'm going mp3 -> wav -> mp3 and that can't be good. Unfortunately switching to wav would probably mean spending hundreds in duplicate song purchases. Any thoughts?

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

Meaty Potato posted:

Buy on beatport. You can get the wav file there and compressing wav to mp3 if you need to is going to give you less artifacts then the other way around. Actually, procuring .wav files is pretty easy through most dance-track websites... unless of course you aren't playing dance music in which case I have no idea.

I actually bought most of it from beatport initially as mp3. You'd think I'd be able to get some sort of discount if I've already purchased the track from them. Motherfuckers.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

Meaty Potato posted:

I seem to remember that there is a way to get around that with them. Let me see if I can figure out how to do it.. maybe they took that feature away.

If you actually follow up on this you will have exceeded all expectations that I hold for internet strangers.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

Mandals posted:

Question about transposing:

I write mainly guitar-based music and a huuuuuuge problem I have is that I'll write 20 possible parts, but because some of them are in different keys it is hard for me to tell if they'll "work."

How are Live's transposing tools? Can I apply them to a whole scene and if so, does it stretch the sound to poo poo? I want to try but I'm...I'm scared. What's the best way to get a good sound going?

Actually the standard monophonic transposition tool will work for most of the situations you're talking about. The key here is that you're bending ALL the pitches by the same amount. It will sound like crap beyond a few semitones but it will work for taking a riff from B Major to Bflat Major. You only need that Melodyne hocus pocus to change a B Major chord to a B minor chord for example.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Just transpose every (non-percussion) clip in the scene.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
I would definitely include a 3 band EQ for both A and B on those top knobs. The rest is really personal taste. Those bottom buttons look like they might be good for Looper if you have Live 8.

Edit: I just saw your comment about using toggling between devices with one set of knobs. You really want 6 dedicated knobs for your EQs so you can bring the bass down on one track while bringing it up on the other for example.

Dopo fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 13, 2009

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Is anyone in here experienced with Max? I'm considering programming my senior project for my math major next semester in it but I'm just getting started with the tutorials and it would be nice to talk to someone with some experience. Reply in-thread or hit me up at dopo28 at gmail dotcom.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

penneydude posted:

I took a course at BU that used it quite a lot, it's really not all that hard if you have any programming experience and/or are willing to put a little bit of time into learning. What do you need to know?

And out of curiosity, what's your project? I'm double-majoring in math as well, so feel free to use whatever terminology you see fit.

I'm not quite sure what the project will be yet. The best idea I've had so far is some kind of parametric EQ. I'm assuming Max has objects that more or less do the Fourier transform for you so I don't know if "lots of polynomials" is substantial enough mathematical content for the project. I have to give a 50 minute talk in the spring and hand in a paper along with it so right now I'm just trying to figure out what I can do that will impress the math department as well as a prospective employer in the music software industry. Any suggestions?

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

Grease Faucet posted:

I hear about waveforms in some of the tutorials I've seen and and advice given around here but I have no idea what they do exactly or how to implement them.

A waveform is a sound wave. Its the squiggle you see on the bottom of the screen in Live. Additive synthesis involves synthesizing a sound by combining (adding) very simple sound waves.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

SkandalousPanda posted:

I'm in the market for a pad controller to use with Ableton's Drum Racks. I've been looking at the M Audio Trigger Finger and the Akai MPD 24. I'd like to mimic a hardware sampler, but was wondering which of these controllers integrates best with drum racks. I was also considering the launchpad, but the fact that those pads aren't velocity sensitive kind of turned me off. Any thoughts?

You might want to take a look at a Korg padkontrol. I have one and it feels pretty nice.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

xpander posted:

On a whim I decided to try "Complex Pro" and see how that worked.

Yeah, complex and complex pro are the only two warping methods that should be used for full songs. Complex pro is definitely preferable if your CPU can handle it.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Maybe a resonator at a low frequency would help get that ground shaking effect. I'm not sure how you'd set it up though.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Alright I'm having an issue with my Liveset. The last time I played out dblue Glitch crashed Live. This is obviously unacceptable but now Live crashes every time I try to remove an instance of Glitch from my set. I can't save. Any ideas how I can get rid of it?

edit: Just tried it one more time using rightclick delete instead of the delete key and it worked. What the gently caress. Problem solved I guess.

Dopo fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 23, 2009

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
I've had a few issues with Live 8. It crashes with dBlue Glitch and there are latency issues with my APC which get worse when I use my padKontrol.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
I have the APC40. Its pretty neat. I've been using it primarily for DJing and still haven't figured out quite how I want to set it up but it feels very solid. I was having some latency issues but I'm sure I can get it worked out once my laptop is back up and running.

The most misleading thing in the tech specs to me was their claim about 17 endless rotary encoders (knobs). In reality only the cue volume one works as it should. The other 16 are technically endless (from a hardware standpoint) but something in the firmware assigns them an absolute value so you can't use them to scrub through a whole track with any kind of precision.

If someone knows what I'm talking about and knows of a firmware hack or workaround I'd be elated. All in all this was still a good buy though.

Edit for some mapping tips:
Check out Bome's MIDI Translator - http://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator
It opens up so many possibilities that you will never stop working on your layout. For example, you can give any button "shift" functionality so that tapping it or holding it down changes every other mapping.
I never use the scene launch buttons when DJing so I remapped those. I also remapped the crossfader to fade between wet and dry chains for effects. We can't really give you any specific tips unless you give us some ballpark idea of what you're trying to do in Live.

Edit2: Found a thread about the endless encoder issue and it looks like it may be possible to write a software workaround. I'll look into it more later.
http://www.garagecube.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4156&sid=28e7e8333af269d379abbeeac908f31a

Dopo fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 11, 2010

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Yeah, that MIDI translator isn't APC specific, it just remaps incoming MIDI data. You could give it a test drive with your pads before the APC shows up if you're getting antsy.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

thArf posted:

And its all going to be in the clubs very soon so come on down if you live near Worcester Mass.

I didn't know there were other LiveGoons in Worcester. I'm back at college until May but I'd like to stop by if you're playing when I'm home. Shoot me an email (dopo28@gmail.com).

Also, Worcester loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
You could probably get a decent Thinkpad for $800. I can't recommend Lenovo enough. Their customer service and support are absurdly good and their machines just feel more solid than other consumer PC laptops.