Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Pimpin' ain't easy when yo ride's full of schoolchildren.
Looks like beta signups are open again, just so you guys know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

sofullofhate posted:

I hadn't noticed that. I noticed that I can't browse my sample directories in the sidebar though, which is beyond irritating.

There's something funky going on with the way 9 indexes files. My samples directory only shows half of the samples. On top of that, I'm lucky if I can start Ableton and ANY of the Core Library shows up. I opened a ticket, but no response yet. :cripes:

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Reposting from the playing with each other thread:

I'm currently spending quite a bit of time tinkering with ableton, making loops and songs and such. I have this feeling though, that if I had someone to tinker with, I would be way more creative and prone to crank out cooler ideas. Unfortunately, no one I know locally has ableton or cares much about producing anything, so I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone would be down to collaborate on some tracks over the web. Ableton's site lists 5 ways to do it: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012680119-Best-Practices-for-Collaborating-Remotely so it is possible to do it live which would be awesome. Is anyone down?

Edit: I'm running Live 11 Suite, in case it matters.
Edit 2: looks like NINJAM isn't developed any more but I did find this article, which looks promising: https://www.chrismacpherson.net/music/syncing-studios-remotely-using-rtpmidi-and-jamulus/
Edit 3: I apparently have unlimited Google drive space from my school so I synced my project directory there to use as a centralized repo. We could also use Blend: https://blend.io/ which has unlimited storage as well. PM me if you're interested!

Back of the Bus fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 9, 2021

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Does anyone have any experience with tracking down DPC latency issues? Specifically ones that only cause pops and cracks in Live 11 and not in daily use or the other DAW I tested (Reason, ahem.) I did not have this issue using the same interface and cable and buffer settings and bit rate on my old PC but I've graduated to the new hotness: a Core i9-12900H laptop with 64GB of RAM, a Geforce 3070, and 2 SSDs, and now it's annoying me. I resolved some of it by weirdly forcing use of the GDI backend in Options.txt which greatly reduced the GPU usage- from 98% to about 2-6%, but the tech support person (edit: from Focusrite) is having me go down the rabbit hole of investigating via latencymon and while it shows some DPC spikes, I don't know if it correlates or if it's even possible to fix. I've updated all drivers, uninstalled all unused software, removed everything from startup that was unnecessary, pretty much gave the laptop the once over. I just don't know where to go from here.

Back of the Bus fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 25, 2022

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Splinter posted:

I believe LatencyMon should tell you which drivers are causing the latency spikes ("highest reported ___ routine").

It's always my nvidia driver (nvlddmkm.sys), and the latency issues only start when Live is open. I have the latest graphics driver clean installed and it's not like I can yank that card out my laptop, so am I dead in the water? Is there a known incompatibility issue here?

Edit: Idiots on the internet-at-large seem to indicate there is and that there is no one fix for it, rather several thousand. None of which I trust on a modern operating system. There's gotta be some way around this that one of you intelligent goons knows about.

Back of the Bus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 25, 2022

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Man, I really hope that isn't the case, it's just now old enough that i can't return it with ease and its already become part of my workflow, pops and cracks withstanding. I tried disabling the card in the device manager (couldn't do it via BIOS) and still got pops and cracks, only latencymon started complaining about wdf01000.sys (kernel mode driver framework) and storport.sys (storage port driver.) this tells me (and possibly you too!) that the DPC latency is probably not the cause but rather just another symptom. It's worth noting that the pops and clicks don't correlate to spikes in the real-time latency meters. I don't know if that's cause they're too fast and I'm too slow or they're really not the same thing. I'm leaning towards the latter though, and I don't know where to turn.

I should probably point out that I did IT for about 15 years up to a few years ago so I kinda know what I'm looking at I just dont know this program because I dealt with networks and poo poo not latency on people's PCs

this poo poo sucks, over

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Splinter posted:

If the latency spikes don't correspond to your audio issues, it's quite possible it's not a DPC latency issue. I know you said the spikes don't line up, but are the spikes consistently a certain amount of time before or after the audio issues, or do they appear to be unrelated? Is anything spiking the CPU from what you can tell (not sure if there's a better way to check this than task manager)? Pops and crackles are also what will happen if you have the buffer set too low for what your CPU can handle, so if something is spiking your CPU momentarily it's possible that could be the cause. Do the issues still happen if you turn the buffer up really high? Have you tried connecting your interface to a different USB port (or if you're using a hub/dock, directly connecting the interface to the laptop)?

No it seems that it's at random, they all only happen when Ableton is open, but otherwise I can't tell a relation. Total CPU usage rarely gets higher than 10% in task manager when this is going on. I've checked at every buffer size from 64-1024 and they all have the same issue. I've also tried different ports (USB-A, USB-C, through a hub, not though a hub, thunderbolt, not thunderbolt) and it's all the same, unfortunately.

my homie dhall posted:

I had latency issues that sound similar to your situation when ableton was minimized before I set the process priority to the max it could be. No idea if this will help, but may be worth giving it a shot if you haven’t already.
I can't remember how to do this? it's something through the task manager right?
nevermind, figured it out

No joy with that, unfortunately. I was really hoping!

Back of the Bus fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 26, 2022

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Oldstench posted:

Try disabling WiFi. I had a similar problem and that resolved it for me.

Just tried this, no luck here either. I wish there was an easy way to see what is causing the latency, rather than what is experiencing it. All my research on DPC issues is resulting in random fingerpointing to things that cannot be the case and that's really frustrating. I'll take any other suggestions you may have though!

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

gently caress, I just tried using the built-in Realtek ASIO driver (which required me to use the headphone output of the lovely built in soundcard) and wouldn't you guess it, no issues! If that's the case, then the problem is somewhere between the Focusrite driver, my USB bus and my Scarlett Solo. Now, how to get Focusrite to understand the issue lies with them and not with magical DPC latency?

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

d0grent posted:

Focusrite loving sucks in my experience. I used to have a scarlett 18i20 and after 1 year I would get audio dropouts and crackles constantly until I replaced it. I know 2 other people who have had similar issues with their focusrite products so it seems like their drivers are just rear end. Their customer support wasn't very helpful, they basically sent me a beta version of their driver and that didn't work so they just kinda shrugged.
I think I'm in the same phase with them and their tech support. I've been updating them steadily and politely through the process and now they won't talk to me outside of replying with "Please contact an Authorized PC Technician to help you further." Like listen fuckers, I AM AN AUTHORIZED PC TECHNICIAN

Oldstench posted:

That sucks. If you don't want to buy a new interface maybe try ASIO4all and see if that helps?
ASIO4all does the same thing. Tomorrow I'll try flexASIO, I'm just not up for configuring it by hand tonight. It's too bad there's not really any decent interfaces in the Solo's tier that come with better hardware/software/tech support. Is this 2002 again? Am I stuck with my old M-Audio Delta 1010LT again? Just give me something that works that doesn't loving cost $600.

Edit: This is a yospos statement, but dont tell steinberg, I hate asio

Back of the Bus fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 27, 2022

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

I've got the same problems with my Focusrite Solo Gen 3 and Windows 11. From my research there's some underlying issue with some USB interfaces and the audio framework 11 uses. I've been doing a lot of digging using LatencyMon and various guides and tips, but I've not found anything definitive yet. I've been making progress on the latency side, but it's slowly driving me insane. I am keeping a mental list of the changes that actually have an effect and aren't just some Reddit guy saying "turn off your WIFI and put your cat behind your router also delete your registry" so once I've got it as good as it's gonna be, I'll post it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

chippy posted:

Fwiw I'm running a Gen 3 Focusrite on Windows 11 and have no such issues. I generally use a buffer of 64. It's the 18i20 rather than the Solo, but I should imagine they all use the same drivers etc.

Out of curiousity, what CPU do you have? I've got a i9-12900H with the efficiency cores and I'm pretty sure the processor scheduling to those cores is partially where the problem actually resides. Maybe.