Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
The work of disconnecting the reactor from the cogitator core wasn't just abandoned--it failed. The head tech priest attempted a ritual to replace the cogitator with his own mind so that the reactor could be restarted. This left him a mangled husk, with thick cables intertwining with his limbs to the point that you can't tell where his arms end and the machine begins. But inside the husk is a small spark that the PCs can interface with. Not enough to carry a full conversation, but that can provide whatever relevant plot the players need if provided the correct prompts/context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wow these are great evocative ideas!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Arglebargle III posted:

Our Rogue Trader game is picking up again after two weeks off inside the abandoned cruiser. They've found the ominous signs of machines killing the crew, and the bridge and the techpriests plugged into the bridge computers, and gone back to engineering to disconnect the reactor from the computer core so that the central computer doesn't get any funny ideas when they wake it up.

We left off standing in front of the door to main engineering, which is a four story tall armored cog wheel engraved with this:

The players don't know it yet, but this location was never breached by the machines and was inhabited by the surviving tech-priests for several years after the ship shut down. It is the one place on the ship they are likely to get a coherent story about what happened, but it's also been freeze-dried for centuries.

I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for environmental storytelling in main engineering. Here's some I already have:

• An account of the final years of the Litany of Triumph written on the bulkheads with a soldering gun.
  • The work of disconnecting the reactor from the cogitator core has already been started and then abandoned.
  • Maps and diagrams outlining expeditions to the bridge (which were apparently unsuccessful)

I've also come up with a twist -- the ship has inferior plasma drives* and will actually need computer support to fire up the reactor, so the players will be forced to interact with the ship's mystery instead of just flipping a manual switch and washing their hands of it. The players can either locate the captain's control rod and gain control of the computer core, or learn about and complete the tech-magi's original plan to purge the computer core of the rakshasa that has taken hold of it, or jerry-rig the mysterious archeotech cogitator core they found a few sessions ago into the cruiser, thus advancing a separate plot.

*if you care this is actually supported in the lore and not arbitrary, since the ship was built at Voss Prime

The thing is, how do I communicate the story and their options to them given that the last living soul on the cruiser died 300 years ago?

A non zero number of techpriests have external harddrives for their memories. A sufficiently brave techpriest could directly interface with them...

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Just sounding this out here before I talk to the guy but interested to hear of any experience anyone has - I need to tell a friend who’s game I recently joined that he’s a bad dm. It’s me, the DM and another guy all in our 40s and the other guy’s lad who is 13. The game is often slow and I think boring for the boy. Some examples:

- there was a pig, don’t remember why. Little miniature pig helping us out. It was falling in a ravine but the kid wanted to save it. Sleight of hand check to make a lasso. Pass. Dex check to throw it to the pig. Pass. Animal handling check to communicate to the pig what’s happening. Fail? Sorry mate that pig is gonzo.

- climbing a palisade wall. Sleight of hand to tie a knot in the rope. Dex to throw it. Athletics to climb the wall. Dex to get the rope back on the other side. I can do these things in real life. If he asks for my feedback I want to ask what his plan was if we failed.

- We accidentally boiled some potions and all had to roll an effect on a d100 table, that we couldn’t see. He gave the kid a withered arm for -2 str and disadvantage on all attacks. Literally all he wants to do is attack stuff. Give him a massive arm! Who cares what the table says!

- following this we got a loving pasting from three guards because we were at numerous disadvantages, and he struggled a lot with us losing as it was happening, then retconned that bit at the start of the next session.

- stuff like d100 tables for crit fails/successes, set pieces that don’t involve us (eg chain exploding enemies while we sit there going “what?”), over-reliance on AI images and a few other mistakes.

I think I’m going to send him a message saying “hey dude unsolicited feedback and all but your game is really loving hard, especially for [child]! If you’re happy with it cool and good but if you want to discuss it give me a shout.”

He’s either just struggling setting the difficulty, or he wants us to go certain ways and we’re not, and he’s struggling to improvise, so I can help him with telegraphing what he wants us to do. Going out now to labour in the community woods so any thoughts in the next four hours gratefully received.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sanford posted:

Just sounding this out here before I talk to the guy but interested to hear of any experience anyone has - I need to tell a friend who’s game I recently joined that he’s a bad dm. It’s me, the DM and another guy all in our 40s and the other guy’s lad who is 13. The game is often slow and I think boring for the boy. Some examples:

- there was a pig, don’t remember why. Little miniature pig helping us out. It was falling in a ravine but the kid wanted to save it. Sleight of hand check to make a lasso. Pass. Dex check to throw it to the pig. Pass. Animal handling check to communicate to the pig what’s happening. Fail? Sorry mate that pig is gonzo.

- climbing a palisade wall. Sleight of hand to tie a knot in the rope. Dex to throw it. Athletics to climb the wall. Dex to get the rope back on the other side. I can do these things in real life. If he asks for my feedback I want to ask what his plan was if we failed.

- We accidentally boiled some potions and all had to roll an effect on a d100 table, that we couldn’t see. He gave the kid a withered arm for -2 str and disadvantage on all attacks. Literally all he wants to do is attack stuff. Give him a massive arm! Who cares what the table says!

- following this we got a loving pasting from three guards because we were at numerous disadvantages, and he struggled a lot with us losing as it was happening, then retconned that bit at the start of the next session.

- stuff like d100 tables for crit fails/successes, set pieces that don’t involve us (eg chain exploding enemies while we sit there going “what?”), over-reliance on AI images and a few other mistakes.

I think I’m going to send him a message saying “hey dude unsolicited feedback and all but your game is really loving hard, especially for [child]! If you’re happy with it cool and good but if you want to discuss it give me a shout.”

He’s either just struggling setting the difficulty, or he wants us to go certain ways and we’re not, and he’s struggling to improvise, so I can help him with telegraphing what he wants us to do. Going out now to labour in the community woods so any thoughts in the next four hours gratefully received.

It sounds like you already have a pretty good handle of what is going wrong in the game, why it is wrong, and what can be done differently. So I'll add that for your opening, it'd probably be useful to ask something along the lines of, "what is the intended difficulty you're trying to set? I'd like to help you dial that in."

Do you know his DM history? If he is relatively new to DMing that could give you a framing to use to tactfully suggest tweaks to thinga to levelset the difficulty.

Also if you are fortunate and the issue is just new DM, Matt Colville has a Running The Game playlist of YouTube that you don't have to consider gospel but can be great for new DMs to get a lot of tips/tricks/and lessons you'd normally have to buy with experience running the game.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Honest conversation is a start. I think it might benefit from the same page tool, with all the players and GM together:

https://bankuei.wordpress.com/2010/03/27/the-same-page-tool/

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Thanks for all the ideas! The players definitely enjoyed piecing together what happened on the ruined ship from various bits of information and environmental storytelling. It was particularly satisfying to hear them tell the story of the ship more or less correctly based on what they'd seen on the bridge and the clues they picked up in the engine room.

Unfortunately I think we went a little too hard on exploration gameplay this session, because while they were enjoying the descriptions and secrets we didn't really have any combat encounters and not much social encounters. They got a tech-priest's disembodied head to talk with but he wasn't much of a conversationalist. Next session I'll definitely have to incorporate more combat, but at the same time we just did a boarding action and it was refreshing to have an ominous location that didn't have an ambush. It really was just a frozen tomb.

The failed attempt to do what the players were trying to do and its grisly aftermath and the booby-trapped meltabomb corpse were particularly appreciated. It turns out none of them can disarm a bomb so I made it fail to go off because it's been frozen for centuries. But that was definitely a good thing for us to find out, I'm sure someone is going to take demolition after that one.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 17, 2024

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Golden Bee posted:

I’ve had great luck just taking premises and encounters from modules. Sometimes small changes make a huge difference. And Paul Williams “web of the spider cult”, one of the players finds their house broken into, with a dead explorer inside. This clue leads them on an adventure with a lot of fun set pieces* and too many fights), at the end they fight the spider cult… And that’s it. But that’s not a story, it’s a sequence of events. a story is about the circumstances that make a person change or not.

The whole thing cracked for me when I realized that the explorer should be comatose, not dead. That way, there’s a reason at the end to come back to the beginning. Maybe the giant spider monster has venom that can be used to synthesize the cure! It puts the entire adventure under tension, under a clock.

From that realization, I decided that the person in a coma should be someone the characters really care about. And that simple detail made it one of the best adventures we’ve done in months. When Devika, the group’s kid sidekick, was mysteriously poisoned, the players would’ve moved to heaven and earth to figure out who did it, undo it, and punish those responsible. The perpetrator was brutalized instead of interrogated. Side characters were treated with suspicion; the players developed short tempers.

Take the good stuff and don’t be beholden into the stuff that doesn’t work. At the end of “Web”, there is a random woman in peril three days hike into the Yucatán. The group knew had someone like that, a Lois Lane style journalist… who was introduced as a love interest in an earlier Paul Williams module.

*And too many fights. Paul Williams adventures almost always have a few superfluous fights against mooks whose objective is to kill you, which is boring.

Thanks for the advice.

I feel like I ended up making stone soup. The module still exists deep in the core of what I made, but my adventure now involves one compelling plot hook (not three options that are weak in different ways), some actual searching and sleuthing in the village, a goblin raid not a failed abduction of an NPC the players just met that just didn't seem to fit the narrative. The obvious bad guy is now hiding behind two layers of subterfuge with the town mayor being the "obvious villain", and a follower of the BBEG playing as the BBEG so they can remain safe until the climax. No drugging the party and stripping off their gear. A bigger better map for the mini dungeon and the removal of all of the annoying tricks to open doors. Seriously, how un-fun would this be to run?

Flavor text: Stumbling through the rubble and stagnant water, you find yourself in a large, man-made chamber. The walls are lined with a fresco that depicts humans riding giant sharks across breaking tsunamis. Standing guard and blocking the back of the room behind an altar is a reredos depicting a giant wave that seems to come crashing into this room.

DM info: A DC 16 Intelligence (Investigation) check on the fresco reveals a small button behind a shell (see the Door to the Vault section for details).
A DC 16 Wisdom (Perception) check around the reredos reveals the occasional bubble arising from its base and strange currents in the water.
A successful DC 16 Intelligence (Investigation) check on the reredos allows a character to find a small pearl, occupying a socket in the upper part of the wave emerging from the reredos and an empty socket next to it. If a second pearl is placed in the other empty socket, the reredos will begin to shift, revealing a submerged tunnel beneath leading to T5 (see page 16). A DC 20 Arcana (Intelligence) check will unveil that something is bound to the reredos.

That is lots of necessary progress locked behind dice rolls. Could I figure out a way to nuance this and get the players through it? Sure I could, but I don't want to as rolling Investigation and Perception checks to move ahead is not fun.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 19, 2024

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The fail–forward philosophy says that the players will achieve basic goals (like getting through a room). Dice and cleverness determine if it is a easy process or a new deadly one with financial, social, mental, etc. consequences.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Indolent Bastard posted:

Flavor text: Stumbling through the rubble and stagnant water, you find yourself in a large, man-made chamber. The walls are lined with a fresco that depicts humans riding giant sharks across breaking tsunamis. Standing guard and blocking the back of the room behind an altar is a reredos depicting a giant wave that seems to come crashing into this room.

DM info: A DC 16 Intelligence (Investigation) check on the fresco reveals a small button behind a shell (see the Door to the Vault section for details).
A DC 16 Wisdom (Perception) check around the reredos reveals the occasional bubble arising from its base and strange currents in the water.
A successful DC 16 Intelligence (Investigation) check on the reredos allows a character to find a small pearl, occupying a socket in the upper part of the wave emerging from the reredos and an empty socket next to it. If a second pearl is placed in the other empty socket, the reredos will begin to shift, revealing a submerged tunnel beneath leading to T5 (see page 16). A DC 20 Arcana (Intelligence) check will unveil that something is bound to the reredos.

That is lots of necessary progress locked behind dice rolls. Could I figure out a way to nuance this and get the players through it? Sure I could, but I don't want to as rolling Investigation and Perception checks to move ahead is not fun.

Step 1 is don't make them roll dice if their actions would remove the need for it. If they look closely at the fresco or the reredos they should just find the thing.

then you can use the checks as a band-aid if they don't choose to look at the right things

finally, if they fail the checks just say they search laboriously and are on the verge of giving up when they notice something shiny on the reredos, then hit them with a random encounter.

also wtf is a "reredos" lmao

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Come on man it's clearly autocorrect butchering "alfredos".

The walls are covered in butter parmesan sauce

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If they have to roll the look around, there will be plenty of re re-dos.

Edit: speaking of looking, there was some math done on stealth checks. If everyone in one group has to beat the best person on another group, the usual success rate goes to 2%. Now when I call for notice checks in Fate, I typically just ask the best person to do it, and it’s to give them warning of something that will eventually occur to them. If they succeed with style, they even get the jump on the problem.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Never make a dire roll on an issue that advances the plot. That, or prepare for failure ahead of time with a “you still succeed but…”.

I once had a GM introduce a mystical ruin to us, with huge background and plot advancing esoteric knowledge pointing us to this place.

But we all failed our perceptions so none of us found the secret door we needed to find. We ended up loving around on abandoned ruins for a few days then decided to gently caress off back to civilization.

Decades later, with the campaign buried in the ground, the GM showed us his maps of the unexplored underground area that we never got to because we didn’t spot the door. The maps were beautiful, man. Hand drawn and magnificent. It was a chief regret of his not to just let us find the door but we were really into “the dice have spoken” crap at the time.

Nowadays we gave an unspoken tenet that “players are to find every secret door” because if not, why bother having it?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Golden Bee posted:

If they have to roll the look around, there will be plenty of re re-dos.

Edit: speaking of looking, there was some math done on stealth checks. If everyone in one group has to beat the best person on another group, the usual success rate goes to 2%. Now when I call for notice checks in Fate, I typically just ask the best person to do it, and it’s to give them warning of something that will eventually occur to them. If they succeed with style, they even get the jump on the problem.

5E at least solved this by making group checks into "50%+ succeed = group success."

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

One thing I've done in the past for plot-critical stuff is to have everyone roll a check, and whoever gets the best roll is the one who notices the clue or has the flashback to a stray line of dialogue from 15 sessions back that sets up a key plot point or what-have-you.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
My PCs have recovered a macguffin after long trials. They also rescued a woman who, unbeknownst to the PCs, was the third attempt by the slain master of one of the PCs, one of the PCs being the fourth and successful attempt.

The woman was long tortured and imprisoned by the bad guys and was supposed to attack the PC and be killed before they knew who she was. But in a twist of events, one of the PCs knocked her out on the off chance that she was a previous attempt (I can’t believe this derail was remembered by my fifty something players).

Now I have strife in the party that is being role played well: the rescuing PC is feeling protective of the woman for ~reasons~ while the PC with the macguffin is pissed and untrusting because she attacked her originally.

So they’ve brought the woman back to their home and took care of her during her detox and have been nursing her back to health while the PC fumes and is untrusting.

My problem is, “now what?”

I have a NPC who hates the PC who knocked her out for the same ~reasons~ that the PC has for saving her. The NPC also is screamingly jealous of the PC with the macguffin. The savior PC is protective of the woman and the PC with the macguffin feels betrayed by the party for saving the woman instead of killing her and untrusting towards the woman.

What do I do with the woman?

Do I make her feel grateful for the rescue enough to forsake her quest for the macguffin?

Do I make her try to scheme for the macguffin? Maybe an attempted murder?

Do I play the long con, having the woman earn their trust only to betray them at a critical moment and make a play for the macguffin when the time is right?

These all feel too obvious. Too generic. Somehow.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
You've been handed a narrative goldmine right there, my friend! A two-legged mcguffin that multiple PCs have conflicting emotions towards? hell yes

I would recommend having her be a complete inconsistent mess. Have her make an immediate clumsy betrayal, followed by weeping self-hatred and emotional collapse. Lean in on the patheticness, so that the PC who hates her would feel bad killing her, and also drop hints that she knows some terrible secret about the saviour PC's slain master. Is there a common enemy she could grudgingly side with the PCs against? An uncertain, dangerous ally is often more entertaining than a rote enemy lieutenant.

I don't think she needs a pre-planned arc; play her reactively, reflecting whatever energy the PCs emit. Is she a tragic villain, careening towards an early grave? The players chose to drat her. Can she be redeemed and rebuilt? The players saved her.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 19, 2024

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

I know right? It’s like the player went looking for another thing in their lives to complicate it up.

I’ve been playing it fairly straight- she’s dopesick, malnourished and mistreated, so is grateful to the PCs while being jealous of them.

But when she feels better, will she relapse? Try to get into a medieval fantasy 12-step plan? I did have her try to attack the PC again but she fell feebly to the floor.

Maybe not giving her motivation is the play here. I tend to over think my NPCs so this might be refreshing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Decide what she wants, but be agnostic about how she gets it so you can react to the players. Who does she like, who does she hate. Think on her as a person rather than a narrative tool and it should all fall nicely into place.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

That’s just it: I don’t know who she is. And I’m asking for ideas on how she should act and what her desires are.

I kinda feel like a book author. :D

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow%27s_hierarchy_of_needs

Serious suggestion, just start at the bottom and work your way up, from her perspective. She likes players and npcs that are helping her achieve these, and dislikes ones that are not.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

sebmojo posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow%27s_hierarchy_of_needs

Serious suggestion, just start at the bottom and work your way up, from her perspective. She likes players and npcs that are helping her achieve these, and dislikes ones that are not.

If she has strong conditioning into certain beliefs then let them override this to an extant and for a time. If the players redeem her then that programming, if it works against them while it runs will be the flourish on top that makes it really sell. Bonus if you have a chance to mirror one of the players (like if one of them has in their backstory addiction issues either personally or with someone they care about to give motivation for putting up with her lashing out).

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Agrikk posted:

That’s just it: I don’t know who she is. And I’m asking for ideas on how she should act and what her desires are.

I kinda feel like a book author. :D

Just spitballing here:

You said she was part of an attack against the PCs for the macguffin. What, specifically, were her motivations for being part of that attack? Not the general motivations by the one who ordered the attack, but her motivations for joining and going through with attacking the PCs?

Is she a brainwashed weapon that never thought about her orders before and is now starting to develop free will?

Was she raised to hate the 4th attempt PC and joined the attack out of personal animosity?

Is she just a loyal solider following orders?

Does she have personal designs on the macguffin and secretly hoped to take it for herself to further her own plans?

I agree with the above posts that if you can pin down her motivation, what she does in any situation will flow naturally and won't have to be planned meticulously.

I also think that here you should let the PCs lead. They specifically chose an action that gave this woman significance. The woman has already become important to them. Make the PCs decide what they want to do with her, and you'll have to think less hard about it. And it will make whatever results feel like the natural consequences they have earned for their actions.

This can come to a head the next time the PCs need to go on an adventure. What are they going to do with the woman? Take her with them? Lock her up in their castle? Get a trusted aide to watch her while they're gone? How the PCs treat her will help determine your next steps.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Well drat. Once again I seem to be overthinking things here. Y’all are right that I don’t actually have to do anything. The players have already seized the initiative with her and are already incorporating her into the story without my doing anything.

I can keep on doing nothing for naw and let the players determine who she is by how they treat her.

All I really know is that she has two driving motivators: gratitude at being rescued and cleaned up and jealousy that she failed at her quest and got to watch the next person succeed while she was drugged and abused for years.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Agrikk posted:

All I really know is that she has two driving motivators: gratitude at being rescued and cleaned up and jealousy that she failed at her quest and got to watch the next person succeed while she was drugged and abused for years.

It sounds like she has split motivations, and that her further interactions with the PCs, particularly the fourth attempt, will determine which way she splits! I'd try to provide some guidance or foreshadowing of this to the PCs the next time they talk about her.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Last session, while investigating abandoned mining territory, my party rescued a duergar from a phase spider cocoon. A theme of my campaign is moral ambiguity a the party's rogue has taken a shine to her. It's also worth noting that three of the party members (but not our rogue) are dwarves and that in this campaign setting duergar come to exist via regular dwarves worshipping the secret dwarven god of avarice and greed, and not simply by being born that way.

The dwarves in the party wanted to just kill the duergar after she spilled the beans about her brethren in the abandoned diamond mines, but they got talked out of it. Then, the rogue spoke with her on watch and entered into a magical blood pact of unknown conditions with the promise of reward upon the duergar's release.

The rogue knows that it's not physical damage being relayed but otherwise has no idea what the pact might be. Sadly, neither do I as it's the last thing we did before ending the session and I've been kinda stumped since.

Another major theme to the campaign has been soulessness. Intelligent beings born without a necromancer to usher a soul from limbo into their bodies are born soulless, and it's a huge problem for the setting. I don't think this is a great opportunity to integrate that, but it might be.

The players are investigating the area to begin with because the nearby dwarven capitol needs the diamond dust. Both an important cleric and an important wizard want the party to deliver the dust to them, with competing promises of rewards for doing so. The party hasn't decided who they side with, and is seriously considering playing both sides.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
duergarlost their necro so their offspring are being born soulless. Pact is that the party will help secure a necro for the duergar. Who says the pact has to inflict moral ambiguity on the rogue? The dwarves in the party get the wrestle with the ramifications instead.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The most straightforward answer is that the blood pact is just a binding guarantee of good conduct on behalf of both parties. Worshiping a god of greed takes a toll on folks, so they have developed a nearly fool-proof method for enforcing important contracts. The rogue's end of the bargain is simply to get the Duergar to safety. Possibly as defined as x distance away from the dungeon and the dwarves that want to kill the Duergar. Penalties for breaking the oath might be an allergy to rocks, gems, or even sunlight. The Duergar promises to be a model prisoner and obey all reasonable requests to help the party get to their family. Their penalty is their firstborn (with a soul) child. Or something else suitably dramatic that will guarantee relatives hunting the party down.

A more mechanical idea is that the Duergar is sharing their darkvision/ability to recoginize relatives/read secret runes. This will last until the rogue stops trying to fulfill the oath or the death of the Duergar.

A comedic option is that the blood pact is the first step in a ponzi scheme. The more people you get to blood pact the more power you personally get from your oath!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Wanted to probe the thread for some ideas since yall come up with some wild poo poo sometimes and I feel like this idea is bonkers enough that I can’t reach its max potential on my own.

Running a Delta Green/CoC hybrid game inspired by The X-Files with a dash of the game CONTROL. A big overarching plot is an AI who read The King in Yellow and went insane in that way an AI who reads reddit becomes a neo-nazi. In the spirit of X-Files I want to have an ep that’s a little goof troop and pulpy that involves the very Musk-ian CEO of the AI company getting trapped in his own constantly evolving 3D-printed mansion that the AI takes over and turns into a sigil-ridden, non-euclidean hell shrine to Carcosa. In my head its got the vibes of the mansion from the 13 Ghosts remake but uncomfortably sterile until the makeover.

I’ve got a few ideas for scenes and sequences but was wondering if that concept gave you beautiful bastards any ideas off the top of your head. I also definitely want the CEO to meet a very messy end during the game so if the ideas involve SAN loss inducing death, go off queens.

One of the main threads I cant quite figure out is how the PCs escape the mansion other than just finding the printer and shooting the poo poo out of it.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
So the first thing that comes to mind beyond just the CEO getting crushed to death is for him to be 3d printed, and still alive, into a door or another part of the mansion. The AI starts experimenting with organic raw materials so it's 3d printing the employees into human furniture. And they're either insane and trying to kill the PCs or maybe begging for death.

In terms of wrapping it up, just as the AI needs to print parts of the mansion, it needs to demolish parts in order to recover the materials. So the final boss is some giant construction bot when you decide the session is done, which is a big threat to the PCs but also exposes the inner workings because it lets them get "outside" the mansion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkaXuC5hrCE

Morrow fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 20, 2024

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Morrow posted:

So the first thing that comes to mind beyond just the CEO getting crushed to death is for him to be 3d printed, and still alive, into a door or another part of the mansion. The AI starts experimenting with organic raw materials so it's 3d printing the employees into human furniture. And they're either insane and trying to kill the PCs or maybe begging for death.

In terms of wrapping it up, just as the AI needs to print parts of the mansion, it needs to demolish parts in order to recover the materials. So the final boss is some giant construction bot when you decide the session is done, which is a big threat to the PCs but also exposes the inner workings because it lets them get "outside" the mansion.

I like this, and maybe make the CEO a recurring character throughout exploration of the mansion. As the PCs move, the mansion is deconstructed behind them and reconstructed in front of them holodeck style. They keep running into the CEO who's built into the wall begging for help etc, leave, the CEO gets deconstructed and reconstructed wherever they go next. A little silly, but also really horrific!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
If the AI is doing full 3D print cloning, as opposed to reshuffling the piece, you can also generate a huge pile of CEO or other ghosts if relevant.

It should always be possible in a climactic moment to beat an AI with Logic should it be awesome enough.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I don’t know why I didn’t think of integrating flesh into the machine since SOMA is an all time favorite of mine.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The game Echo features a super creepy sterile 3D printed mansion that gradually builds up copies of intruders that start out eerily weird and get more and more perfect as it iterates. That would be a great mystery and villain for the players. The horrifying disfigured beings stalking them through the mansion maze at each encounter become more humanoid and eventually recognizable... as the players! You could even do an Annihilation twist and make the freaky clones eventually become such good copies that they become sympathetic allies for the final showdown.

It's also a neat puzzle game mechanic: anything the players do, the house will observe and the beings stalking them will gain that ability. So if the players for example shoot the beings, then the next time they encounter them they'll have guns. That could be neat as for example if the players calm down and try to talk to them the beings will gain the ability to speak and negotiate.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 21, 2024

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I wrote an AI horror comedy, and one scene I really liked had a statue guard that started out with Michaelangelo’s David and degraded into weird, multiheaded shapes that had been crushed by 3-D printed granite.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The Musk standin needs to be gibbering about a basilisk that is constantly torturing him at the start of the mansion.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

The game Echo features a super creepy sterile 3D printed mansion that gradually builds up copies of intruders that start out eerily weird and get more and more perfect as it iterates. That would be a great mystery and villain for the players. The horrifying disfigured beings stalking them through the mansion maze at each encounter become more humanoid and eventually recognizable... as the players! You could even do an Annihilation twist and make the freaky clones eventually become such good copies that they become sympathetic allies for the final showdown.

It's also a neat puzzle game mechanic: anything the players do, the house will observe and the beings stalking them will gain that ability. So if the players for example shoot the beings, then the next time they encounter them they'll have guns. That could be neat as for example if the players calm down and try to talk to them the beings will gain the ability to speak and negotiate.

The 3D printed rooms start off as just the naked plastic and as they comment on it each subsequent room adds new elements and is reactive to the players. Many of the rooms feature the CEO in some kind of distress progressively getting worse/graphic over time.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Three words: Soul of Theseus.

The AI is trying to figure out the swirling energy in Faux Musk's brain, and is snatching up chunks of nearby minds and hotswapping them.

The cast:
* An underpaid housekeeper who barely speaks English. Her memories of her doting father have been grafted onto to FauxMusk, who finds that kind of unconditional love far more alien than any mythos. She now craves revenge on father figures.
* An obsequious toady yes-man. He just wants to keep everyone happy, and to steal everything not nailed down. His stress-driven kleptomnia has been swapped with FauxMusk's extreme sports addiction.
* His horrible girlfriend's horrible little purse dog. It used to want to lounge and be hand-fed salmon, now it craves making humans call it Sir.

FauxMusk is stumbling around the mansion searching for some super-important gift his loving father gave him, stealing his own poo poo, and smelling every piece of food to see if it's five-star salmon.

The AI plans to kill all of them and see how their soul energy dissipates. Will the soul fragments re-coalesce to their origins, or will their Frankenstein spirits arrive at the pearly gates in great confusion? The players will have to figure out and satisfy folks's desires to reconnect their souls to the right host.

A fun extra: Maybe if the players lose a fight, the AI steals a chunk of soul and grafts it to FauxMusk.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Squidster posted:

Three words: Soul of Theseus.

The AI is trying to figure out the swirling energy in Faux Musk's brain, and is snatching up chunks of nearby minds and hotswapping them.

The cast:
* An underpaid housekeeper who barely speaks English. Her memories of her doting father have been grafted onto to FauxMusk, who finds that kind of unconditional love far more alien than any mythos. She now craves revenge on father figures.
* An obsequious toady yes-man. He just wants to keep everyone happy, and to steal everything not nailed down. His stress-driven kleptomnia has been swapped with FauxMusk's extreme sports addiction.
* His horrible girlfriend's horrible little purse dog. It used to want to lounge and be hand-fed salmon, now it craves making humans call it Sir.

FauxMusk is stumbling around the mansion searching for some super-important gift his loving father gave him, stealing his own poo poo, and smelling every piece of food to see if it's five-star salmon.

The AI plans to kill all of them and see how their soul energy dissipates. Will the soul fragments re-coalesce to their origins, or will their Frankenstein spirits arrive at the pearly gates in great confusion? The players will have to figure out and satisfy folks's desires to reconnect their souls to the right host.

A fun extra: Maybe if the players lose a fight, the AI steals a chunk of soul and grafts it to FauxMusk.

Definitely quote/change the AM speech from "i have no mouth but i must scream" but have it come from a beanie baby or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Maybe the mansion has some sort of sapient servitor (or even a human butler, if we're going with flesh printing/cloning) who is produced around the house as needed and recycled when their tasks are done. Normally this isn't as horrifying as it might seem because the butler's memories begin when they are finished printing and end just before they are recycled, but the AI knows and understands torment and wants to understand how it changes a mind. So it repeatedly prints the butler into an immediate, horrible death, scans their dying brain, and prints a new butler who remembers every past death only to have it begin again immediately. Maybe the butler is repeatedly printed into a furnace or oven, at the top of a 100 foot drop, or inside moving machinery. You lose the comedy angle, but it gets a little "superintelligence goes mad, treats humans like ants" flavor in there. Heck, maybe this is combined with the "mixing of minds" idea above, and the tortured butler's mind is being partly remixed into the other people in the mansion.

1secondpersecond fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 21, 2024