Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
I discovered this thread through the Marble Hornets thread... and I read the whole god damned thing tonight.

The Slender Man is amazing, and I can't believe that I almost missed this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

homerlaw posted:

Its less horifying when you realise the track was a line from episode: 2

Yeah. Slow Anakin just isn't scary no matter how many distortion effects you add to. Makes me wonder if they were trying to see if the line could be scary in isolation. The answer is no.

The music itself was reasonably creepy until then, tho'. Make me wonder if there'll be another Halloween album on the forums soon, or if I've somehow missed the thread if there is one.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
After having read the thread yesterday, all day today something about the Slender Man seemed... familiar. It seemed like something I'd seen before. It was really bugging me, so I went through some of my old notebooks from high school.

I found this: Linked for loving huge.

I don't remember drawing this.

Dear god, how long have I known? How long has he been there, waiting for me to see?

...How long do I have left?

Ghost Mutt
May 10, 2009

I thought I had something, but then it pretty much turned out to be a zalgo copy.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

pseudosavior posted:

After having read the thread yesterday, all day today something about the Slender Man seemed... familiar. It seemed like something I'd seen before. It was really bugging me, so I went through some of my old notebooks from high school.
I found this: Linked for loving huge.

How the gently caress did you miss the tie?

pseudosavior posted:

I don't remember drawing this.

You just don't want to remember.

pseudosavior posted:

Dear god, how long have I known?

Always.

pseudosavior posted:

How long has he been there, waiting for me to see?

Always.

pseudosavior posted:

...How long do I have left?

Depends on his current agenda. We don't know for sure, but probably not a massive amount of time.

Masochrist
Nov 6, 2007

DON'T COME IN HERE
May 26th 1998
Boy missing in Centralia, IL.

Joshua Baxter (12) was reported missing from his bed on the morning of May 26th. He was last seen the previous night by his mother, Laura Baxter. The boy is Caucasian, has short, brown hair, and wore red and white striped pajamas at the time of his disappearance. Laura Baxter explained that since moving into the house one week earlier, on May 18th, the boy had repeatedly complained about waking during the night from an "unbearable, freezing cold". Otherwise there is no indication the boy would have voluntarily left his room.

An unidentified man was recorded in a photograph taken by Joshua Baxter's father, John Baxter, on the evening of May 22nd. The photo was taken for personal use, as part of documenting the renovation of the basement in the house. John Baxter claims not to have noticed the man when he made the photograph, explaining that he was in a hurry to get back out of the cold. The police is interested in any information that can lead to the identification of the unknown man, who appears in the photo to be tall and slender, wearing a black suit and with a pale complexion.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Masochrist fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 4, 2009

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Masochrist posted:

photo

I see nothi.... gently caress you! Totally don't!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blaster of Justice posted:

I see nothi.... gently caress you! Totally don't!

I still see nothing, what am I missing?

MortonTheCranium
Nov 25, 2004

We're cousins. (bros)
I'm guessing it's the vaguely discernible slenderman on the far right of the photo. I had to look hard to see it.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Just finished reading through. Amazing job so far to everyone who has helped create Slender Man.

Anyway, this is what I see in the photo (sorry, I'm still getting used to a Mac and am not sure how to outline it)

Also, I believe that Entry #15 is out now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFb7eTQmVA8&feature=channel

I must say though, I was reading through this during the day and laughing at everyone who was scared ... until I tried to go to bed myself. :(

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Mef989 posted:

Just finished reading through. Amazing job so far to everyone who has helped create Slender Man.

Anyway, this is what I see in the photo (sorry, I'm still getting used to a Mac and am not sure how to outline it)

Not quite.

Right-hand side of the pic.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Concord, New Hampshire
Police Department
Consulting Psychologist

April 15, 2009

Report on the April 11th incident from the Appalachian Trail.

Overview: Police report states that a group of 8th grade students were hiking a portion of the Appalachian Trail as part of a school field trip. During the afternoon of April 11th the group was apparently stalked by an unknown assailant. After the group of students and their teacher chaperones bedded down for the night, the assailant apparently entered the trailside shelter and abducted one of the students.

The details are confused as to exactly what occurred, but this much is clear. Several of the students noticed "A strange person" at different points throughout the day. Shortly before the group stopped for the day, it began to rain. Once the group was in the shelter the rain increased. A few students reported seeing "Something, maybe a person or an animal" skulking near the shelter, just out of clear visual range.

After the students were asleep, they were awakened by a scream. Most of the students reported seeing nothing, while others reported seeing someone or something carrying away the abducted student.

Reports as to who or what took the missing student are confused. Most of the witnesses stated that the kidnapper resembled the "strange person" seen earlier. This person was originally reported to be a very tall, thin man, bald, wearing a black business suit, white shirt and black tie. The witnesses stated that this man was the kidnapper, but that he now appeared different, nonhuman. Students stated the human had the aspect of an insect, or had tentacles sprouting from his body.

It is my surmise that the students misinterpreted the appearance of the assailant. Through a combination of suddenly being awakened late at night, the rainy conditions and more than a little bit of "creative thinking" brought on by the reported bout of ghost stories told by the students earlier in the evening.

The witnesses were presented with paper and asked to draw their impression of the assailant. All the results showed a person with a black suit, but all of them showed wildly different, inhuman features.

Subject 1:

Subject 2:

Subject 3:

Subject 4:

Subject 5:

Subject 6:

Subject 7:

Subject 8:

Subject 9:

Subject 10:

Subject 11:

Subject 12:

Conclusion:

There is no useful data here. No distinguishing features of the assailant can be gleaned from the eyewitness reports. These reports are also particularly colored by mass hysteria brought on by the nighttime telling of ghost stories and the "creepy" conditions present during the night. All that can be concluded is that the assailant wore a black suit when he kidnapped the victim.

All the student were deeply traumatized by the assault However, Subject 12 was particularly affected. He refused to handle the plain paper I provided for the students to draw on, stating "It looks like his shirt; It's the color of his face." He then pulled out a sheet of lined notebook paper and stated "It has lines, it's not like him."

Recommendations:

These students will require extensive counseling. Given enough time, they may be able recall more accurately the events of that night, but for the time being, they are providing little useful information.

The Corporate
Jul 7, 2009

The following photograph was found in the attic of a recently deceased man from Long Island.

The 93 year old man, who died in his own home whilst asleep, had previously worked in the New York financial industry before retiring in the late 70's due to health reasons. The photograph was discovered by his relatives, who were reorganising the many posessions he had accumulated in his attic throughout the course of his life. The unnamed folder in which the photo was contained had been buried at the bottom of a full chest of documents, all of which were unrelated to the photograph itself. The untitled folder was empty, save for this photograph. It is unknown whether the photo was taken by the deceased man himself, or if it was accumulated by him at another point in his life. The photograph is marked on the rear with the letter 'x'.

It is unclear why one of the children's faces has been scored out by the owner.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

pseudosavior posted:

I discovered this thread through the Marble Hornets thread... and I read the whole god damned thing tonight.

The Slender Man is amazing, and I can't believe that I almost missed this.

The SM is fascinating to me, because he's such an ideal horror figure for so many different reasons. I mean, there's the whole "fear of the unknown" thing, and the "twisting the familiar into something unfamiliar" thing. There's also the genius of his subtlety: we've trained ourselves to see his general shape in every photoshop, so now we see him everywehre.

These factors aren't really unique, though. I think one of SM's more unique attributes is that he's fake. Not only is he fake, but we know, for a fact, that he came from a thread on SA. No one is trying to convince us he's real.

We're not used to this. We're used to movies trying to bully us into suspending disbelief, which only leads to logical rationalization. SM freaks us out without even trying to convince us he's real. Now we're feeling a very real emotion from some internet photoshop meme, which is irrational. We start rationalizing our fear. "How could something that isn't real freak us out so much?" Rather than believe we're still capable of being scared of the dark, we start to feel like SM, despite all logic, could be real.

This is also likely the most interactive scary story we've been actively involved in. I mean, we are the ones giving the Slender Man life. He's something we created and control: we're the ones photoshopping him into images. Things you are in control of typically aren't frightening.

But there is no one person -- not the people making photoshops, not his original creator, and not the guys making the Marble Hornet videos -- who is solely in charge of this story any more. He's growing organically from our combined feedback and contributions. He's the larger organism and we are his cells. We're simultaneously in control and not in control. For all intents and purposes, the Slender Man is a living entity.

Further, he exists due to a cycle that's somewhat self-replicating. If you get freaked out by SM, you'll probably want to make your own photoshop. Maybe it's because you want to scare others, or maybe it's so you can take control of your fear. Regardless, the end result is more photoshops, which means he's growing.

rinski fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 5, 2009

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

rinski posted:

The SM is fascinating to me, because he's such an ideal horror figure for so many different reasons. I mean, there's the whole "fear of the unknown" thing, and the "twisting the familiar into something unfamiliar" thing. There's also the genius of his subtlety: we've trained ourselves to see his general shape in every photoshop, so now we see him everywehre.

These factors aren't really unique, though. I think one of SM's more unique attributes is that he's fake. Not only is he fake, but we know, for a fact, that he came from a thread on SA. No one is trying to convince us he's real.

We're not used to this. We're used to movies trying to bully us into suspending disbelief, which only leads to logical rationalization. SM freaks us out without even trying to convince us he's real. Now we're feeling a very real emotion from some internet photoshop meme, which is irrational. We start rationalizing our fear. "How could something that isn't real freak us out so much?" Rather than believe we're still capable of being scared of the dark, we start to feel like SM, despite all logic, could be real.

This is also likely the most interactive scary story we've been actively involved in. I mean, we are the ones giving the Slender Man life. He's something we created and control: we're the ones photoshopping him into images. Things you are in control of typically aren't frightening.

But there is no one person -- not the people making photoshops, not his original creator, and not the guys making the Marble Hornet videos -- who is solely in charge of this story any more. He's growing organically from our combined feedback and contributions. He's the larger organism and we are his cells. We're simultaneously in control and not in control. For all intents and purposes, the Slender Man is a living entity.

Further, he exists due to a cycle that's somewhat self-replicating. If you get freaked out by SM, you'll probably want to make your own photoshop. Maybe it's because you want to scare others, or maybe it's so you can take control of your fear. Regardless, the end result is more photoshops, which means he's growing.

I read a thread on another forum that had heard of the Slender Man and there was a good 2-page meltdown where a bunch of guys started freaking out and jabbering on about "Oh poo poo, what if we're creating a Tulpa?"

Success!

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Breetai posted:

I read a thread on another forum that had heard of the Slender Man and there was a good 2-page meltdown where a bunch of guys started freaking out and jabbering on about "Oh poo poo, what if we're creating a Tulpa?"

Success!

Definitely, and the coolest part is the individual level on which this phenomena takes place. I mean, you read about SM, and you think, "man, I'd better go out and take some pics to photoshop him into." Now you're going to some place you are familiar with and purposefully interjecting something that frightens you. You'll never be able to look at that place again without feeling some sort of apprehension. You've essentially haunted a familiar place with a ghost only you can see, giving this location a nightmarish quality.

By participating, we're giving him places to live.

Mooch and Earl
May 20, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

rinski posted:

Definitely, and the coolest part is the individual level on which this phenomena takes place. I mean, you read about SM, and you think, "man, I'd better go out and take some pics to photoshop him into." Now you're going to some place you are familiar with and purposefully interjecting something that frightens you. You'll never be able to look at that place again without feeling some sort of apprehension. You've essentially haunted a familiar place with a ghost only you can see, giving this location a nightmarish quality.

You hit it on the head.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
I've only, as of just the other night, had my first Slenderman nightmare.
Goddammit. <:mad:>

DuctTapeCat
Sep 25, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

DuctTapeCat fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 5, 2009

StealthStealth
Aug 28, 2007

dogs eatin' cake

rinski posted:

Yes. I was going to take some pictures off my back porch--we have a single HUGE tree with low-hanging branches that need to be trimmed, and back behind it there is a fence and a streetlight behind the fence. Perfect SM picture setup right? But the back porch has the elliptical I like to use early in the mornings, often before light, and hell if I want a mental image I crafted with him hanging around out there.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

StealthStealth posted:

But the back porch has the elliptical I like to use early in the mornings, often before light, and hell if I want a mental image I crafted with him hanging around out there.

Or maybe you're afraid you won't need to photoshop anything.

Nadie
Aug 1, 2006

In brightest day, in blackest night, no idiot shall escape my sight
If anyone considers shooting a Slender Man movie, Javier Botet ([REC]) is their man:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2306701/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Nadie posted:

If anyone considers shooting a Slender Man movie, Javier Botet ([REC]) is their man:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2306701/

That guy could play the Slender man AND his victim, from what I can see in this pic.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

I think he looks way too nice to be Slenderman... or is that part of the act?

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Mr. 47 posted:

I think he looks way too nice to be Slenderman... or is that part of the act?

He's not slender man. He's an actor.

Besides, Slenderman doesn't have eyes, is as white as ivory and might even be completely black under the neck.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Genesplicer, Did you get your class of kids to draw those, and if so, how did you get them to do it? It's pretty awesome.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Victor Surge posted:

I've only, as of just the other night, had my first Slenderman nightmare.
Goddammit. <:mad:>

What have you created!?

kizeesh
Aug 1, 2005
Im right and you're an ass.

rinski posted:

I know it's crazy but this is completely true. I thought I saw a pointed ended shadow the other night outside my window. it looked like a black cat's tail only thicker and floating and my brain just screamed Slenderman tentacle. Now there was sod all there and it was blatantly a trick of the light as I came into the room but I still froze on the spot for a second. All because of something that grew out of a few photoshops and a story about some missing kids.

genesplicer posted:

Subject 7:

For some reason number 7 freaks me out the most.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Mad Hamish posted:

Genesplicer, Did you get your class of kids to draw those, and if so, how did you get them to do it? It's pretty awesome.

Yes, I did. We have a class every day called "Wolf time". It is time for the kids to read or participate in club activities. I have the science club. I told them I was working on a project with some other people to create the legend of the slenderman. I told them a very brief history and showed them a couple of pictures from the thread and a couple of examples I did. They took care of the rest.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

genesplicer posted:

Yes, I did. We have a class every day called "Wolf time". It is time for the kids to read or participate in club activities. I have the science club. I told them I was working on a project with some other people to create the legend of the slenderman. I told them a very brief history and showed them a couple of pictures from the thread and a couple of examples I did. They took care of the rest.

You are the best teacher. Ever.

Der Ev-Man
Apr 22, 2008

genesplicer posted:

You fool, what have you done? The more the kids know about Slenderman the closer he gets to them!

But seriously, that's an awesome class project there. Did you show them your post and back story?

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Actually, this Slender Man thread has me all paranoid. See, my grandmother died about a week ago, and since I live closest, it's my job to clean out her place. This was the last time I was going to see the place, so I took some pictures. This is their old piano, which we'd moved into the center of the room.

That shadow made my nearly jump out of my skin, because of this thread. I ran outside to see what the hell it was. I'm pretty sure it was just the ridiculously creepy neighbor, though, because there wasn't anything outside when I got there.

Still, though, it's pretty creepy, right? The shadow looks like it has the tentacles/branching arms and everything.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

genesplicer posted:

What grade were they in? And what are you going do if your students start having nightmares, and strange noises at their windows at night?

I don't know what the spoiler tags are for, I just wanted to be part of the conversation.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

rinski posted:

Actually, this Slender Man thread has me all paranoid. See, my grandmother died about a week ago, and since I live closest, it's my job to clean out her place. This was the last time I was going to see the place, so I took some pictures. This is their old piano, which we'd moved into the center of the room.

That shadow made my nearly jump out of my skin, because of this thread. I ran outside to see what the hell it was. I'm pretty sure it was just the ridiculously creepy neighbor, though, because there wasn't anything outside when I got there.

Still, though, it's pretty creepy, right? The shadow looks like it has the tentacles/branching arms and everything.

Well loving done!
:golfclap:

Also echoing genesplicer being an awesome teacher. I won't even use spoiler tags to say it.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

rinski posted:

Oh just another slender photoshop with a standard backstory and stuff, nice shop work, nothing special, wait a second...

OH gently caress YOU SO HARD.

kizeesh
Aug 1, 2005
Im right and you're an ass.

Talorat posted:

Oh just another slender photoshop with a standard backstory and stuff, nice shop work, nothing special, wait a second...

OH gently caress YOU SO HARD.

Shiny....

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Genesplicer, you are the stuff dreams...nightmares(?) are made of, bravo sir, bravo.

Semi-Normal
Oct 9, 2007

Sex is on, yeah?

genesplicer posted:

It's nice of you to try and keep everyone calm, but you and I both know that you never mentioned Slender Man to these kids.

He's coming.

MUAHAA THE FRENCH
Jul 31, 2009

you see my friend, we've
both been boiled alive

bored. writing something which maybe will become extensive and borrows (steals??) very heavily from earlier posts in this thread about the slender man. excerpt (interview with man in asylum):

“It showed me... things. Now, it didn't mean to. I don't think it really knows or values the concept of communication. But, as it, wal- crawled- moved-”

There was a sudden pause. His brow furled over, crinkled, and sweat began to run from his pores. As he closed his eyes, tears streamed from them, but he didn't look like he was crying... I noticed his arm hairs standing straight up, thought it was his nerves, but then I realized – the temperature in the room suddenly felt like it had dropped below freezing.

The cigarette in his hand... it went out. Acrid smoke furled and blew away as if on the breeze, though there was no wind.

“I felt it, I knew what it was, I saw its past and future – Christ...”

Harris opened his eyes again, his pupils were dilated to the point where the irises were slivers surrounded by a blood-streaked whites. He slammed his hands to the table, he swept the recorder away, he tossed my papers onto the floor, and he clenched them so tightly blood wept from his fists – so much blood – never seen anyone do that to himself. A man possessed.

“Harris, we can – we can stop now-” ... Knowing it was far too late.

Johnson screamed. It's ridiculous – can't possibly be – but it wasn't human, it was the screech of a banshee, there was no soul left in this man, whatever had been was swept and torn and slashed away till there was nothing but raw primal fear – and he howled. The door banged suddenly, orderlies trying to force it open.

“I saw the end. I saw death on the pale horse - no face - and god, oh god! I saw it smile. How did it smile? It SMILED! IT SAW ME, AND IT SMILED!”

He suddenly stopped, turned, stared – stared at me with a dead man's eyes. I moaned as his mouth leered unnaturally wide, a single stream of blood running from the left corner, and there was an unnatural quiet, the door was still being thrust at but there was no noise, and we stared into each others' eyes for an eternity.

Croaking, barely audible...

“Why? Why did it smile?”

And then the door burst, and the last thing I remember before I lost consciousness is a rush of orderlies tackling Harris to the ground, blood splattering from his shredded palms as he hit the ground – and behind them, unseen, a flash, a flash of a man in a suit.

No... not a man.

MUAHAA THE FRENCH fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Gnome
Nov 7, 2007

by Fistgrrl

MUAHAA THE FRENCH posted:

bored. writing something which maybe will become extensive and borrows (steals??) very heavily from earlier posts in this thread about the slender man.

Oh, man, some of that was really, really creepy. Nice work.