Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

A friend of mine from work was telling me about what happened to a guy named Adam that goes to the same church as he does. It seems that Adam and his girlfriend Dina were hiking/camping in the Siskiyou National Forest in Northern California, and they stopped for lunch in a particularly nice spot when they heard a noise that sounded like twigs snapping from the other side of a rocky outcrop. They decided to go back the way they came, thinking they may have come across a bear or something since there was a heavy, musky scent in the air, when they heard a low, grunting kind of a sound. Just as Adam said "I think we should go back" there was a loud crash like something running through bushes. When Dina looked back as they were walking away, she saw something that made her raise up her camera and snap a picture, and this is what she saw only 25-30 feet away:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

I think somebody should send some of these to Coast to Coast. It would be hilarious if some kook ghosthunter got their hands on just one of these and made a huge deal out of it.

edit:
No offense intended to the kook ghosthunter posting just before me.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

spidoman posted:

In about three hours I'm going to see it, and I'm going to hate you for the nightmares it gives me.

Anyone help out?

I thought maybe it was a little too subtle, but I didn't want it to be too obvious either.

Here's the one I posted earlier:

...and here's one with the creepy part highlighted and magnified:

edit:
Bullshit Backstory...

On July 3rd 1865, the nation was still recovering from a hard fought civil war, and there were still plenty of hard feelings all around, especially in Barlow Mississippi where 22 year old Ezekiel Settles, recently freed from slavery was trying to make a living as a handyman. On the eve of the 89th anniversary of the United States declaring it's independence from England, Independence Day held a special meaning for Ezekiel, as it was his first Independence Day as a free man, but sadly, he would never see it. As he was on his way to work at the Mt. Sinai Baptist Church, he happened across the pastor's young wife, Allison Wolcott lying in the road, unconscious. He tried to render aid as best he could by removing his shirt and tucking it under the young woman's head, but as he was doing so, along came Pastor John Wolcott, returning from a luncheon with the church's ladies' society, only to find a shirtless black man kneeling over his unconscious wife. Ezekiel tried to explain that he found her in that condition but the pastor was fuming, and afraid that the pastor would beat him or worse, he ran off.

That night, with his still unconscious wife under the care of a doctor, but resting comfortably in her own bed, John Wolcott went looking for Ezekiel Settles with a dozen or so men from from his flock. They didn't have to look far, for Ezekiel lived in a small shack that he built from scrounged lumber in the woods behind the church. There the men found him, and they dragged him back to the church, and as the parishioners took turns beating him, John Wolcott fashioned a noose. When his flock put the rope around his neck, Ezekiel pleaded his innocence, saying that he was just "tryin' to hep the young missus." After they stood him up, John Wolcott hung a sign around his neck that read "FOR ACCOSTING A WHITE WOMAN" and spat in his face. Then he joined the other men as they pulled Ezekiel up into the tree, just shy of midnight.

When he returned home, the doctor assured him that his wife was fine, but had apparantly suffered from sunstroke. The doctor also assured him that she definitely had not been raped. Pastor Wolcott went to his wife relieved, but suddenly overcome with guilt that he, a man of God, had just participated in the murder of a man that was just trying to help his ailing wife. So overcome with guilt and anguish was he, that the next day, with the same rope, the very same noose that he tightened around Ezekiel Settles' neck, he committed suicide by hanging himself from the same branch. According to the note that he left, "It is befitting and just that I should take mine own life as I have taken another's. With that same rope that I hanged an innoscent man, from the same branch in the same tree. May God forgive me my sins." Some say that as he hung there, the last thing John Wolcott saw were the fireworks set off for the town's Fouth of July celebration.

The Church is still there, and so is the tree upon which hung both Ezekiel Settles and John Wolcott, and nobody noticed anything unusual about it until one Fourth of July when, during the town's fireworks display, somebody saw what appeared to be the shadow of a hanged man on the trunk of the tree. It soon became a favorite spot for teens and ghosthunters to gather for Fourth of July celebrations, to see if they can see the shadow during the flashes. The town quit having a fireworks display in 1992, but occasionally, the shadow can still be seen in a camera flash. Nobody knows if it is the shadow of Ezekiel Settles, or the Pastor John Wolcott.

drat. That was a lot longer than I meant it to be.

TL:DR, a black guy gets lynched even though he didn't do anything, the preacher feels guilty and lynches himself, now people see a spooky shadow on the tree.

fake edit:
If there are any high school goons taking creative writing in summer school, feel free to turn that story in for a grade. I'm curious to see how I would have done.

Donny Brook fucked around with this message at Jun 13, 2009 around 09:33

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

Thoreau-Up posted:

There are woodcuts dated back to the 16th century in Germany featuring a tall, disfigured man with only white spheres where his eyes should be.

From Brandenburg Circa 1550:

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

Rattus Amicus posted:

Apparently this thin octopus-man is a time traveller. Or did men back then wear similar suits as nowadays

Good god, what if the slender men gave us the idea for the men's suit and now we wear them and unknowingly give them some sort of sick homage!

I believe what appears to be a tie on the image in the woodcut is actually a shadow on the white cravat that sometimes appears in early Germanic DŁnnemann or Schlankermann tales.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

Leperflesh posted:

Going with a wikipedia page up-front was probably a lot of fun... but not a good idea...

I have to agree. I'm glad I got a chance to read it before it got deleted, but I couldn't help but think that the 20th century sightings segment was what caught the eye of the wiki police, since that stuff would be the easiest to debunk.

Somebody needs to call Coast to Coast sometime during Open Lines and tell George Noory about their experience with the Slender Man.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

Rambowjo posted:

This is obviously Slenderman's peanut selling cousin.

It's hard to be terrifying when you're singing about peanuts with a pipecleaner up your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

Slendermom!