Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Assessment Number: 19-9300-24857a
Subject: S-MAN

At 0440 on February 22, [REDACTED] gas station in [REDACTED], Pennsylvania activated a silent alarm indicating a robbery in progress to the local police.
Officers D[REDACTED] M[REDACTED] and P[REDACTED] H[REDACTED] arrived on the scene at 0453.
D M and P H did not see the perpetrator nor the proprietor from the lot.
A procedural search of the premises did not turn up anyone.
There was no evidence of a struggle.
The register was intact.
The safe was not touched.
Surveillance video was mostly static.
Whether this was due to faulty equipment, poor procedures, or "other interference" they were not able to determine.
Attached are the only two frames that were recovered.
We have obtained the original tapes and are performing our own recovery efforts. See project L-4809334.
Note that the attendant L[REDACTED] C[REDACTED] is still missing, presumed dead.

Click here for the full 458x761 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

FILE COPY

Transcript from CVR recovered from Cessna Stationair N[REDACTED]
pre:
HOT	Crewmember hot microphone voice or sound source
RAD	Radio transmission from accident aircraft
CAM	Cockpit area microphone voice or sound source
CAB	Cabin area microphone voice or sound source
-1	Voice identified as Pilot-in-Command (PIC)
@	Non-pertinent word
#	Expletive
[   ]	Editorial insertion
...	Pause

INTRA-COCKPIT COMMUNICATION

TIME & SOURCE	CONTENT
1834:16 START of RECORDING / START of TRANSCRIPT	
1834:25 HOT-1	Jesus Christ, I shouldn't have flown back tonight.
1834:34 HOT-1	[sound similar to human sigh]
1837:43 CAM-1	[sound similar to crew seat movement]
1840:05 HOT-1	[unintelligible]
1843:10 CAB	[sound similar to baggage sliding across floor]
1843:11 HOT-1	What the hell was that?
1843:17 CAB	[sound similar to passenger seat movement]
1843:38 HOT-1	poo poo.
1843:58 CAM	[sound of autopilot being engaged]
1844:21 CAM	[sound similar to crew seat movement]
1844:28 HOT-1	Holy # mother #!
1844:29 CAB	[sound similar to tension spring snapping]
1844:30 HOT-1	Who the # are yo--turn around.
1844:31 HOT-1	Some # man in black hiding out on my plane.  I've got a # crow bar you idiot.  Turn around.
1844:35 CAB	[sound similar to deep inhale]
1844:36 CAB	[sound similar to baggage sliding across floor]
1844:58 CAM	[unintelligible] [screaming]
1844:59 HOT-1	Where's your # # face? [spoken in screaming voice]
1845:02 CAB	[sound similar to external door being slammed shut] [note impossibility, similar sound]
1845:04 HOT-1	[unintellible] [garbled]
1845:05 CAM	[sound similar to single ECAM chime]
1845:08 HOT-1	[sound of human grunt]
1845:09 CAB	[sound of crow bar? hitting side of cabin]
1846:13 HOT-1	I hit you # #!  I hit you!  Get off my # plane [untelligible]
1846:17 CAB	[sound of laugther]
1846:20 CAB	[sound similar to fabric being torn]
1846:21 HOT-1	[unintellible] [screaming]
1846:23 CAB	[sound similar to dripping water continues for 30.4 seconds]
1846:25 CAB	[sound similar to slurping? continues for 23.8 seconds]
1846:58 CAB	[sound similar to human grunt]
1847:18 CAB	[sound of cracking]
1847:29 CAB	[unintelligible whispering]
1852:31 CAM	[roaring noise begins and continues for 28.5 seconds]
1852:36 CAM	[sound of clicking]
1852:43 CAM	[sound of loud cracking]
1852:44 CAM	[sound similar to stall warning repetitive chime continues for 2 seconds]
1852:45 CAM	[sound similar to prop engine stalling]
1852:50 CAM	[sound similar to radio static continues for 2.7 seconds]
1852:59 CAM	[roaring noise greatly increases in amplitude continues for remaining duration]
1853:10 CAM	[sound similar to single ECAM chime]
1853:15 CAM	[sound similar to crackling continues for 1.4 seconds]
1853:20 CAM	[sound similar to single ECAM chime]
1853:31 CAM	[sound similar to single ECAM chime]
1854:17 END of RECORDING / END of TRANSCRIPT

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BooDoug187 posted:

Animals can't stop it.

What about sticking your head under the covers and squeezing your eyes shut?

That worked in Darkness Falls

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I have this coffee table book of photos from Life magazine. The pictures go back to the late 1800s.

Imagine my surprise when I took a closer look at this photo of Yosemite Valley from the 1870s.

Click here for the full 999x1280 image.

Not only did I see our mysterious boogie man

Click here for the full 999x363 image.

But also the skull and rib cage of some unfortunate soul.

Click here for the full 999x408 image.

I can't say for sure that the remains are one of its victims, but I'd be willing to bet on it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Leperflesh posted:

Going with a wikipedia page up-front was probably a lot of fun... but not a good idea.

The right thing to do is establish web resources about the Slender Man first - conspiracy-theory web pages, etc. Then, after there's some cross-pollination and even interest from people outside SA, create a stub Wiki page that just links a source or two, and treats the subject from a skeptical/fact-based standpoint (use words like "myth", "alleged", and "conspiracy theory").

A page like that, that purports only to report on a fringe myth, would have been more likely to survive. An editing history with a lot of different editors, over a long period of time (rather than a goon rush), with multiple references added and removed and edited over time, would have made the page less likely to be deleted.

Now, of course, that's closed off; even if we did all of this, the history of the original page's creation and fast deletion as vandalism will serve as evidence against any future incarnation of the page.

...which is OK. I'm thinking we (me?) register slenderman.org, work on it (make it the typical disorganized, slightly unbalanced ranting style typical of the genre - just take a look at websites promoting HHO, 911 Truthers, crop circles, etc. for ideas), and then gradually over time add a selection of stuff from this thread, sticking to the top-quality examples (probably not the supposed secret texts from agencies we've never heard of - don't require someone to believe in an additional conspiracy theory just to accept this one, as that is an implausibility-multiplier). You could even address the subject from a skeptical-believer point of view, showing "obvious forgeries and fakes" on one page and "unable to discount" stuff on another, etc.

Do it very low-key for a while (a year or more) and eventually it'll creep into the 'net's culture, and even have a chance to attract the attention of lazy reporters who don't fact-check stuff.

This.

This is like work, but would be supremely awesome if carried out.

The birth of an urban legend...

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Blaster of Justice posted:

I agree. I also KNOW it'll work. Google "shadow men" and "shadow beings". Hell, some "shadow men" pictures and drawings are obviously not "shadow men" but the Slender Man.

Even John Dies at the End might be considered Slender Man fictioncommentary.

Edit: From Wikipedia entry on shadow people

Click here for the full 714x599 image.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 18, 2009

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

ce gars posted:

Here's what I was talking about earlier. Plenty of tapes to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn59FJ4HrmU

That was spine tingling

Click here for the full 650x395 image.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

I posted:

I wonder how deep the rabbit hole goes?

Can he be summoned?

Chaos magic says, "yes."

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
From a grimoire of sorts I picked up at a used book store.

Called The Observations and written by someone calling himself Nathaniel V. I don't know if that is a letter "v" or a roman numeral 5.

This part reminded me of the "slender man".

Nathaniel V. posted:

On the Expressions of Those Outside

I have mentioned the Outside and the Things that swarm around our fragile existence, paying us little mind.
I have mentioned that some men, fools above all, seek to calculate the angles and formulæ needed to make themselves known.

What of a success?

If such a fool were able to peer into these impossible places, and maintain his sanity, what would he gain?

He would likely gain nothing yet lose everything.

A mere brush of the cheek from an Outside Thing would consume fleshform and mindform, birthing an abomination of alien countenance and wisdom.

A direct stare would obliterate such a man completely, adding his essence to the Outside and dispersing him across time-space.

We do not care about such a destruction. It is for the best to remove such foolish men from reality.

What of the Changed? The Transformed?

Would a man be turned from good to evil? No. These terms are labels for human behavior. Do we consider a lion evil for catching its prey even if that prey be men?

No. We hold a different set of expectations and morals to an animal as we must hold a different set to a Transformed.

Such a Transformed man would exist among us but no longer of us. His appearance may be human or merely human-like, but his thought forms are unintelligible.

The tall man with shadowed face who bumps into you at market, the laughing child who points at you when you pass, the whispering woman who sparks your interest but disappears before you even catch her name.

But these are human, yes? Perhaps.

What of the liquid darkness that pools itself in dim corners and gives itself weight, observing you with pale eyes and glimmering teeth, transfixing you as a cobra, reaching slowly from behind with tentacles of frigid ethereal mass?

What of the reflection in the mirror that lags behind or the movement seen on one side but not the other?

What of nightmares that plague even the magician versed in such things?

A wise magician would avoid such a Transformed man when possible.

If a magician must face a Transformed man, all logic, honor, and fairness must be tossed aside. The Transformed does not follow any rules that can be known by men.

To decipher them is to risk becoming one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

quote:

Transformed Man