Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Okay, gently caress you all!

I have not read this thread since about page 4. I have seen it on page 1 GBS, but I was never really interested. Now I try to catch up and its all about the Slender Man. A few pages of creepy images and some interesting stories, a few news clippings.

Then I decide to go to youtube and watch Entry #1. Oh, there are more entries. Progressively creepier. Very, very nice job.

And then about halfway through entry #14, there is a cat fight right outside my window. Let me explain. The window is right next to my office chair. I am sitting less than a foot from this window. And the first thing I hear of the cat fight is the scream of two cats and a furry body colliding with the wall directly under the window.

I'm 46 years old. I'm not supposed to be reacting like this.

Dammit.

Excellent work, everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
Concord, New Hampshire
Police Department
Consulting Psychologist

April 15, 2009

Report on the April 11th incident from the Appalachian Trail.

Overview: Police report states that a group of 8th grade students were hiking a portion of the Appalachian Trail as part of a school field trip. During the afternoon of April 11th the group was apparently stalked by an unknown assailant. After the group of students and their teacher chaperones bedded down for the night, the assailant apparently entered the trailside shelter and abducted one of the students.

The details are confused as to exactly what occurred, but this much is clear. Several of the students noticed "A strange person" at different points throughout the day. Shortly before the group stopped for the day, it began to rain. Once the group was in the shelter the rain increased. A few students reported seeing "Something, maybe a person or an animal" skulking near the shelter, just out of clear visual range.

After the students were asleep, they were awakened by a scream. Most of the students reported seeing nothing, while others reported seeing someone or something carrying away the abducted student.

Reports as to who or what took the missing student are confused. Most of the witnesses stated that the kidnapper resembled the "strange person" seen earlier. This person was originally reported to be a very tall, thin man, bald, wearing a black business suit, white shirt and black tie. The witnesses stated that this man was the kidnapper, but that he now appeared different, nonhuman. Students stated the human had the aspect of an insect, or had tentacles sprouting from his body.

It is my surmise that the students misinterpreted the appearance of the assailant. Through a combination of suddenly being awakened late at night, the rainy conditions and more than a little bit of "creative thinking" brought on by the reported bout of ghost stories told by the students earlier in the evening.

The witnesses were presented with paper and asked to draw their impression of the assailant. All the results showed a person with a black suit, but all of them showed wildly different, inhuman features.

Subject 1:

Subject 2:

Subject 3:

Subject 4:

Subject 5:

Subject 6:

Subject 7:

Subject 8:

Subject 9:

Subject 10:

Subject 11:

Subject 12:

Conclusion:

There is no useful data here. No distinguishing features of the assailant can be gleaned from the eyewitness reports. These reports are also particularly colored by mass hysteria brought on by the nighttime telling of ghost stories and the "creepy" conditions present during the night. All that can be concluded is that the assailant wore a black suit when he kidnapped the victim.

All the student were deeply traumatized by the assault However, Subject 12 was particularly affected. He refused to handle the plain paper I provided for the students to draw on, stating "It looks like his shirt; It's the color of his face." He then pulled out a sheet of lined notebook paper and stated "It has lines, it's not like him."

Recommendations:

These students will require extensive counseling. Given enough time, they may be able recall more accurately the events of that night, but for the time being, they are providing little useful information.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Mad Hamish posted:

Genesplicer, Did you get your class of kids to draw those, and if so, how did you get them to do it? It's pretty awesome.

Yes, I did. We have a class every day called "Wolf time". It is time for the kids to read or participate in club activities. I have the science club. I told them I was working on a project with some other people to create the legend of the slenderman. I told them a very brief history and showed them a couple of pictures from the thread and a couple of examples I did. They took care of the rest.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
One of my students who drew the picture asked the following question.

"The Slender Man always looks different. Is it Slender Man, or Slender Men? Maybe that's what happens to the kids he kidnaps, he turns them into more of himself, to go and collect others..."

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Isko posted:

This is great and loving creepy. The children are brought to a horrible place where they slowly shed their humanity, losing their face, their emotions, only growing taller and taller as time passes until they look just like their abductor.

Although I admit, I like the idea of their just being one slenderman more.

We like the idea of there being only one Slender Man, but the kids kind of liked the idea of the "dreadful transformation", as one of my kids put it. To them, it's kind of like puberty (That they are all hitting like a brick wall) gone horribly wrong. Instead of becoming happy, productive adults, they become something unspeakable. I'm sure Freud would have a field day with this...

Gutless Wonder posted:

Actually, I agree about the part of there being only one Slender man, but I thought a lot of the "accounts" and especially the Marble Hornets videos were implying this theory. That some (if not all) of Slender Man's victims become just like him. Or maybe it's more of a Dread Pirate Roberts thing

Maybe it's a franchise, you know, regional Slender Men...

I like the Dread Pirate Roberts thing. (or maybe it's more like Davey Jones and the Flying Dutchman) You are cursed to be the Slender Man until you catch your replacement.

The big discussion was about perception. When I had the kids draw the Slender Man, they all did different things, as I expected. So the question was "Why do people who are all looking at the same thing see it differently?" Does the Slender Man have the ability to sense what might scare you more and so you perceive that? Or is it something else? My students had a great discussion about that, but never reached a conclusion.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Blaster of Justice posted:

I like this. You can be the Slender Person when I'm finished. I just told the kids about the Slender Man. Then I dressed up and went outside. gently caress, I haven't made a Windsor knot for ages. A light nylon sock works pretty perfect as a face cover. I just tapped the window a couple of times. Great, now I have to explain this to their friends parents.

You should have had a video camera to catch the expressions on their happy little faces...

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
March 13, 2009
Psychologist's notes
Case #3289B

This is the third child abduction case in the county this year. However, unlike the other two, this one has an eyewitness. This child witness is currently under my care due to the trauma of the event. DJ was sleeping over at his friend ML's house when the abduction took place. At approximately 2:30 in the morning an intruder entered ML's room and abducted ML. DJ witnessed the event. He has not spoken since that time and refuses to be left alone at any time. While DJ has not spoken, during our last meeting, while I was speaking of the kidnapper, he did pick up a paper and markers and drew the included image.

Analysis of this image will take some time but there are several disturbing elements. Why are the facial features so vaguely drawn? Is this due to poor memory on the part of DJ, or did a lack of skill in drawing cause this?

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Bluedeanie posted:

Genesplicer where were teachers like you when I was in school? Can I pretend to be 13 and sit in on your class sometime?

... I didn't mean that as creepy as that came out. :pedo:

I sometimes have student observers from the local universities...

Diabetic posted:

Genesplicer is the teacher kids have dreams/nightmares I cannot wait for the parent/teacher conference where he tries to explain a child's night terrors about a featureless man in a suit raping said child's psyche.

This was my Silent Reading class. It's populated with GATE students. Some of them did admit that it was delightfully creepy. As one said "It was scarier than the Saw movies". I pointed out that this was because they were using their imaginations to create the monster that is the Slender Man, rather than relying on watching a monster on a screen. What we see in our mind's eye is far, far worse than anything that can go on a screen.

No night terrors yet, though.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
I don't know who's doing it, but I noticed some Slender Man stickers going up around Riverside, CA. They were near UCR. I'll get photos, if I remember to bring my camera to work...

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
New painting spurs mystery

Reuters
October 21, 2009

A previously unknown painting by a German artist has sparked a debate among art historians. This painting by Josef Franz (b. 1503) depicts a pivotal moment in western religious history, the moment when Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses to the door of All Saints' Church in Wittenburg, Germany.

It was not an uncommon act for students to nail religious/philosophical challenges to the door of the church. However, it was the nature of Luther's challenge that changed history. His theses began the Protestant reformation. The painting by Franz has been dated to within 2-3 years of the actual event. Since Franz lived in Wittenburg at the time of Luther's posting, it is possible that he was an eyewitness to the event, or at least heard it firsthand from someone who did witness it. This makes it probably the most accurate rendering of the event found so far.

What is causing the controversy is not the actual image of Luther posting his theses, but the other paper seen tacked to the door of the church. Reports hold that the doors to the church usually held challenges. What is unusual is that the second paper posted to the door does not depict a challenge, but a drawing. It has not been reported that pictures were ever posted to the door. The drawing depicts a tall, thin man wrapped around a tree. The man appears to be dressed in modern business attire, a black suit, white shirt and black tie.

Conservators and art historians have minutely examined the painting and have come to the conclusion that the drawing was done at the time of the original painting, not added at a later time. How a seemingly modern image came to appear in a painting nearly 500 years old is a mystery. The historians at the Louvre are also debating what the significance of the drawing is. Some of them maintain that the image is an accurate depiction of what was on the door at the time Luther posted his theses. Others hold that the drawing was not actually posted on the door, but was placed in the painting by the artist for symbolic purposes. What the image of the man symbolizes has escaped the historians, however.

Little is known about the artist Josef Franz. he was born in Wittenburg, Germany in 1503. He showed a definite talent for drawing and painting at a very young age. Some have gone so far as to call him a prodigy. He completed several paintings while still a child. This newly-discovered painting appears to be the last painting Franz completed. While what happened to him is a mystery, he seems to have disappeared about 6 months after completing this painting. At the time he was working on a portrait for the local Bishop. The painting was never finished. In the lower corner of the canvas, which was still blank, is a crudely drawn multilimbed stick figure and the statement "Er Kennt Mich", which translates into "He knows me".

It is unknown what happened to Franz. He may have become ill and died with no record (a fairly common occurrence at the time.) It is also possible that he simply moved to another region and was forgotten. What is known is that no paintings by Franz from after this time have been discovered. Some state that the fact he did not finish the painting of the Bishop, along with no record of his death may indicate foul play. All that is known is that Franz disappeared before finishing the painting.

Historians are hoping to find more works by Franz, in hopes that it will help clear up the mystery of his disappearance and bring more light about the life of this mysterious child prodigy.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
So, honestly, how many of you look around for the Slender Man when you are outside after dark? My back yard has lots of places he could be...

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 29, 2009

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
Not really a paranormal image, but definitely inspired by this thread... here's a "decoration" that I put up at my house. I wonder what it will look like when the sun goes down.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Shapiro posted:

Ask yourself: what the hell would that emoticon ever be used for outside this thread?

Any time we speak of something mildly spooky, or stalkers, or feel creeped out, you have the slender man icon...

I can see using it from time to time.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Manuel Calavera posted:

the gently caress does that mean anyways? *looks up the wiki*

Word of mouth...

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
Further Mystery of the artist Josef Franz

Reuters

Historians and conservators working at the All Saints Monastery in Wittenburg have come across documents that may explain part of the mystery surrounding artist Josef Franz, while creating even more of a mystery. Josef Franz was a fifteen-year-old artist in Wittenberg, considered by many to be an artistic prodigy. Just as he was becoming widely famous, he disappeared, never to be heard from again. Now part of the story of his whereabouts has been solved.

At the time of his disappearance he was working on a portrait for the local Bishop. The painting was never finished. In the lower corner of the canvas, which was still blank, is a crudely drawn multilimbed stick figure and the statement "Er Kennt Mich", which translates into "He knows me". Documents uncovered last week at the monastery indicate Franz was taken there for treatment as a "lunatic, possessed of demons, and raving".

He was placed under the care of Brother Maynard, a monk healer at the monastery. Few of Brother Maynard's documents survive. A leather folder was discovered containing the few scraps that survive. The documents are badly burned, most are nearly impossible to read. A few of the documents seem to refer to Franz. The talented artist apparently requested parchment and painting supplies, which Brother Maynard gave him, in hopes that his madness might subside.

The drawings done by Franz so disturbed Maynard that he began having trouble sleeping. He describes vivid hallucinations and mentions the "Other visitor to Franz, the one that waits below his window in the tower". He describes this unknown visitor as "Wearing strange clothes, a black-and-white Jester's motley, though nothing about this visitor would be considered a jest. He stares for hours at Franz's window, but none may see his eyes. If one leaves the Monastery to ask after the visitor, he is not there. Even the grass where he stood is undisturbed."

The visitor seemed to have disturbed Maynard nearly as much as Franz. Several drawings by Franz from his time in the monastery show similar images to the one he added to his painting of Martin Luther. The drawings that survive are also badly burned.

The text in the drawing roughly translates into "Who is he?" It appears that this visitor was as unknown to Franz as he was to the monks of the monastery. Psychologist Lee Magnus who examined the drawings pointed out that the very rough nature of these drawings, coming as they do from a talented artist, may indicate severe mental problems.

The text in this drawing translates to "Why is he watching me?" Dr. Magnus hypothesizes that the drawing of multiple limbs is indicative of Franz's decent into madness.

While the discovery of this pouch of burned documents solves some of the mystery of Josef Franz, it leaves an even greater mystery in its wake. Along with the burned documents of Brother Maynard is a note from the abbot, Brother Wilhelm. He states that Brother Maynard was becoming increasingly agitated as he worked with Franz. Eventually one day he seemed to lose all composure, raving about the 'black-and-white demon-man". He began to burn all his documents and scream that the devil had come to All Saints Monastery. He was subdued by the other monks. They took him to the room immediately next to Franz's, as its location in the tower would prevent his escaping from the window and the heavy door could easily be locked.

As the monks left Brother Maynard, one said he heard strange sounds coming from Franz's room. He described these sound as "The sound of a million ants, walking across a sheet of metal foil, and the sound of wet leather being slowly wrung out by powerful hands." When the monks opened the door of Franz's room, it was empty.

The window in the room was locked, and Franz could not have escaped from there in any event, as the room he was in was 75 feet above the ground below. Any escape attempt from the window would have killed him. Likewise, the door was locked, and there was no chance of escape that way, as the only passage out of the tower led through the monk's common room. Nobody had seen Franz come down, and the abbot concludes that this is a mystery only Brother Maynard may understand. He also notes that many clues to Franz's illness, as well as what happened to him may well have been in the documents that Maynard burned.

The brothers collected the charred remains and presented them to the abbot for him to investigate. The abbot's note states he has learned nothing from what remains, and mentions in passing that he had noticed Maynard looking out the window on several occasions. When asked, he would say he was looking at the black-and-white jester, but none of the other monks would see him when they looked.

A search of the records indicates that Brother Maynard never regained his sanity, and he died, raving, about two years after these events.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Mischalaniouse posted:

Has anyone seen this? Reading through this thread strongly brought to mind the second half of this animated short:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaAbx1ZTcB0

That was pretty cool. I like the style.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
I have making the commute to my school 200 times per year since 1991. My path takes me through Moreno Valley, California. Right where the 60 meets the 215 there was a huge nursery. When I first started working at the school the nursery was a nice going venture. I even bought some plants there.

It went out of business about 15 years ago, and has set abandoned ever since. I have watched it slowly decay over the intervening years. It has been a haven for the homeless and a hangout for goths. A few years ago somebody cut a hole in the fence that separates the property from the freeway.

Then somebody added an interesting quote:

I've seen this for the past year. Today, I decided to add something more:

And here's how it looks from the freeway:

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

TommyFilth posted:

I don't know how old you are, but I'm thinking it safe to assume you're somewhere in the 45 - 55 age range, at least, and I sincerely hope that I am as hip as you are when I get to be that age. :) Because that poo poo is loving cool.

Thanks! I turned 47 last Sunday!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Digiwizzard posted:

You can stop being scared now guys, it was just Flat Stanley all along.

Sooooo... Flat Stanley is a demon borne from the very depths of hell? I don't remember that part of the story.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Rikaz posted:

Sort of a speed paint, wanted to do something else than Slenderman but he is kinda stuck in my head. Introduced the whole concept to a friend of mine and now she hates me for doing so.

Wow. Nice and creepy.

With the winds we've had out here, I'm worried that the Slender Man that I set up in the abandoned nursery has blown down. I'll have to check when I head back to school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

skipThings posted:

I'm sorry to qoute that from almost a month ago now, but I guess you would want to have a correct german translation maybe. The first being :" Wer ist das?" the second: "Warum beobachtet er mich?"
Just trying to be helpful, not a smart-rear end :(

Thanks for that. I last took German in 7th grade, which was 32 years ago. I have forgotten most of what I learned. So I did my best, and "confirmed" it using babelfish.

Or maybe the artist had descended into madness??????