Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

A friend is looking to purchase an older truck, late 80's-early 90's. His budget is loosely $5-7k. He bikes a lot so he can get around without a car but he wants something he can use as a commuter in winter and just for having fun with.

I'm trying to find out what condition he should be expecting given his budget, which is the most reliable, which are easiest to find parts for, which should be avoided, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

For that price range, it should be in perfect working order, with little in the way of cosmetic issues. Trucks are cheap.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I love Alaska. The only people Natives beat are their wives.

Be more specific. Right now, based on the Bronco suggestion, the only thing I would recommend getting is a convertible Dakota.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Vert Daks are awesome, but I wouldn't want one in any weather that would be considered "winter"

Shelby Dakota. Somewhat rare, 318 (super easy to swap to 360), Buckets of 80's awesome styling.

Jeep CJ-8. More of a truck of the early 80s, but still awesome.

Jeep Comanche. 4.0 Liters of unkillable fury.

adept
Mar 14, 2002
PM BBQ for a new title.

I bought a 1991 Chevrolet R3500 (one ton rear wheel drive) with a crew cab and long bed a few months ago, 125k miles on a classic 350 V8. It was a thiokol fleet truck, it has probably never been registered outside utah. I paid $1200, and it had some minor issues, some tires that needed to be replaced, non-working horn, no reverse lights, and I realized after buying it one of the brake master cylinder reservoirs were empty (this is a mystery because I replaced the fluid and it does not leak)!!! My coworker tells me I paid $400 too much. It doesn't have cruise control or air conditioning. Now I wish I had air conditioning, will probably sell the truck next year. The truck has held 1.5 tons in the bed beautifully and still stops fine. I enjoy the dual fuel tanks, large bed, spacious back seat that I store stuff in. Oh and I have driven it 2000 miles and I am noticing oil leaking. Just changed the oil for the first time and I used high mileage synthetic/lucas oil stabilizer. That is probably the last time I put anything other than the cheapest oil I can find in this truck if the leak keeps up. Oh and the truck has a sweet builders rack I can put a shitload of 16' boards and plywood up on while keeping my truckbed empty.

I ride a goped if I don't need to haul something or be somewhere quick, and my wife has a prius if we need something reliable. Don't spend too much on your crappy truck, get a perfect one because you should be able to for a few thousand.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ummm, more specific...

well the photo I posted was misleading, I don't think a bed is necessary. he'd rather have more seats for hauling friends to the beach and what not.

I know he really likes scouts and land cruisers. I think he'll probably pick more on aesthetics and reliability than performance. It's more that he enjoys the idea of owning an old classic truck than he needs the functionality of a truck.

When I said 80's-90's it's really more about the style of the car than the year. Surely if he could find a nice Scout in good shape from the 70's he'd jump on it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I would never shop at Costco. The paper towels won't fit into my sports car!

Forget the Scout and get a Travelall.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Truck recommendation service:
http://www.edmunds.com/used/type/truck/index.html

VikingSkull
Jul 23, 2008

Free pats on the back
Inquire within

Dodge Ramcharger. More accessible than some of the somewhat rare trucks in the thread, yet not a Chevy or Ford, which are everywhere. Parts are a dime a dozen, and it's got plenty of 80s charm. My dad had one and it was indestructible. Finally took a 20 car winter pileup to put her under.

e- yes, that is a huge ram head hood ornament.

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at Jun 9, 2009 around 20:27

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

RealKyleH posted:

Truck recommendation service:
http://www.edmunds.com/used/type/truck/index.html

yes, and it goes all the way back to 1990... thanks so much for all of your help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

VikingSkull posted:

Dodge Ramcharger. More accessible than some of the somewhat rare trucks in the thread, yet not a Chevy or Ford, which are everywhere. Parts are a dime a dozen, and it's got plenty of 80s charm. My dad had one and it was indestructible. Finally took a 20 car winter pileup to put her under.

e- yes, that is a huge ram head hood ornament.

I just checked autotrader and ebay motors and not a single one of these things showed up ... looks rad though.