Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
People who would call anything about this movie pretentious need to look up the word in the dictionary. And in some cases actually watch the movie because some things are just flat out incorrect.

The couple themselves are pretty average. They go to a series of towns which have family/friends to find a place to settle down in and raise their child to be. Each family they see are different in their own ways. The only time they really have anything negative to say about a couple is when they give the new age couple an earful, which honestly was easy to see given that their first scene is the mom breastfeeding a toddler. They were called nutcases and rightfully so. I doubt many people would have been able to hold out as long as they did. I also thought the couple with the adopted kids were great, and was a great part of the story.

I thought Maya's character was great and she was given plenty of backstory to justify her feelings about certain things, especially marriage. John's character was less fleshed out, but honestly since he's sort of an everyman (albeit quirky) much isn't really needed. I think the dinner scene with his parents pretty much tells you all you need to know.

It's certainly not another American Beauty for sure, but it's really enjoyable and worth a watch.

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU