Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Rottentomatoes Review (28%)

Starring: Will Ferrell, Danny McBride, Anna Friel, Jorma Taccone
Director: Brad Silberling

To just get this out of the way, I'm a big fan of Ferrell and McBride. Some way or another I was going to see this movie (even if it looked a little lame in the previews).

I never watched the original television series, but I'm sure this movie has very little in common besides a few familiar monsters. There are some pissed off fans somewhere.

The plot doesn't matter in this movie. It's there, but it's not important because most of the focus is on the improv banter of Danny and Will. Dimension travel, dinosaurs, monsters, evil character bent on destroying the universe/world, and focus cameras on Ferrell and let him cut lose.

This is pretty much a PG-13 movie JUST on the virge of becoming an R-rated flick. I am pretty sure there is a ton of footage they had to cut out because it drifted off into rated-R-land; you could sense the struggle of the actors to keep it "tame enough" for the kid friendly rating.

I found myself laughing at the silly improv stuff more than anything else. It's one of those movies that I'm afraid to say that I didn't hate because I set myself up to be roasted by true movie aficionados. It is what it is.

If you aren't a fan of McBride or Ferrell then you should probably avoid seeing this film, unless your holed up in a different dimension and the only movie you have on your iPod is this one.

On a side note: I'd love to see some more movies with Danny and Will doing crazy poo poo. I'm sure Hollywood will come through.

3.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IntrepidInventive
Nov 28, 2008

Ah shouldn't give advahce in E\N, Jennay
This movie left me pretty disappointed. I used to love Ferrell on SNL, but was never really a fan of his "character" movies like Anchorman and the like, but I actually enjoyed him in here. The first ten minutes and the last ten minutes were incredibly entertaining, but unfortunately all of the in-between was a lot of uneven joke and plot randomness all thrown together to form something that wasn't really cohesive or funny. When the movie was trying to do its own thing it was pretty good, but every time it tried to integrate ideas from the original TV series it just felt forced and off, like they were making a different movie and then decided to cram references in for the sake of the title. I've enjoyed Danny McBride in everything I've seen him in, but they really just give him nothing to work with here and he feels completely wasted. There's not even an attempt to pretend the female lead is there for anything more than to be the "hot scientist" character that Ferrell gets to predictably fall in love with by the end of the film. Could have been worse, but could have been a whole lot better.

2/5