Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Jekub posted:

I found this image for another discussion, figured people in here would be interested to, it puts the Moon and Andromeda in the same frame at same scale. Giving you a good idea of just how large the Andromeda galaxy is relative to the night sky.

http://www.noao.edu/image_gallery/html/im0606.html

Heres a fun fact: If we were on the moon the earth would have the same angular size as Andromeda it looks like. Seeing as how Andromeda looks 4 times as big as the moon and the moon is 1/4 the diameter of earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
Ive been eyeing a pair of celestron skymaster 15x70 binoculars ever since my cheap barska 10x50s were dropped and knocked out of alignment. Celestron seems to be coming out with a new line of "Cometron" binoculars which you can get at 12x70. I would prefer a lower magnification. Does any one have any experience with either of these? Can you recommended any other sub-$150 big aperture binoculars?

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
I have an XT8c and its a great 'scope. It is about the upper limit of what I would consider mobile but it is fairly easy to move around as one piece.

The mount on it is very steady. It always dampens out vibrations in a second.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
I love my XT8. Even when buying it new for over 5x the price years ago its was still a good deal.