Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Malleus Maleficarum posted:

This might be stupid.

I have a Blackberry Pearl, purchased last year through Verizon which I understand just merged with Alltel.

Please tell me you've upgraded to 4.5 from 4.3 and have at least a somewhat recent OS on it. 4.5 alone will fix so many issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimik
Sep 3, 2008
Hey sweet - I won $150 in accessories from crackberry.com. What should I spend it on? I'm thinking a nice set of bluetooth stereo headphones...

http://crackberry.com/win-blackberry-tour-contest-winners-announcement

Ideologue
Jan 25, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Congratulations, get that new bluetooth visor mount and tell me if it's good!

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Alfalfa posted:

I don't think any blackberry uses SMS for IM anymore since blackberry came out with an AIM application. I picked mine up from the ap store.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/features/im/aim.jsp

edit: Welcome to 2008 http://www.rimarkable.com/aim-now-available-to-verizon-blackberry-users

:monocle: I coulda sworn I'd seen online that I shouldn't use the AIM Blackberry client because it uses SMS. Well I'll be damned, thanks :)

Dr Abobo
Mar 29, 2006

Sit down, son.

SgtScruffy posted:

:monocle: I coulda sworn I'd seen online that I shouldn't use the AIM Blackberry client because it uses SMS. Well I'll be damned, thanks :)

I use Verizon and know for a fact AIM uses SMS, I really would like JiveTalk for the storm to come out already...

Greve
Nov 7, 2007
Theory Genesis
I know this is a dumb question, but I would like to make sure anyway. When you surf the internet or use email on a blackberry, there is no minute usage, correct? Also, I got the Verizon $30 Blackberry Email & Date plan, is this everything I need for internet as well? Am I going to get any hidden fees by doing anything accidentally?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Greve posted:

I know this is a dumb question, but I would like to make sure anyway. When you surf the internet or use email on a blackberry, there is no minute usage, correct? Also, I got the Verizon $30 Blackberry Email & Date plan, is this everything I need for internet as well? Am I going to get any hidden fees by doing anything accidentally?

Correct. Yes. No (although "doing anything accidentally" is pretty broad).

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I will put the Tour in current BlackBerrys, just that I don't have a PC near me really and I'm actually making this post with Bolt. SkyFire can't come fast enough, the image quality is crap on Bolt. Bolt is better than Opera Mini though and I'll update the thread to put Bolt as an alternative to Opea Mini.

The BlackBerry is not as bad as my iPod touch for media playback, the sound quality is great. I'm only carrying the BlackBerry and it's my main device on this trip I'm on. Also, check out the BeBerry theme, it's pretty good (that's what it's called IIRC). I got it when it was called PreBerry. It's the best Today Plus theme I've used.

Greve
Nov 7, 2007
Theory Genesis

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Correct. Yes. No (although "doing anything accidentally" is pretty broad).

Thanks. MY gf was recently charged $600 for VZW Navigator usage when she doesn't evne have the program on her phone. I am just working to avoid these sorts of mistakes.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Godzilla07 posted:

Also, check out the BeBerry theme, it's pretty good (that's what it's called IIRC). I got it when it was called PreBerry. It's the best Today Plus theme I've used.

checked it out, looked really cool. then I realized it's only for the Storm.

any other really good themes for a Curve 8330? I'm currently using myJavelinAlpha and growing kinda bored of it :iamafag:

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
It figures that something would go wrong with my Bold just a page after I blab on about how much I love it.

For whatever reason, the keyboard is acting veeeeeery strange. If I hit the End button, the bold puts thinks the keystrokes "M" and "N" have been entered. In other words, if I hit End while in an email or any screen that requires text entry, the phrase "MN" pops up in the text field. Additionally, if I tap in the trackball, the phone interprets it as if I entered "LH" on the keypad.

What in the gently caress is going on? I'm going to take the rig by AT&T tomorrow, but I was hoping that there was some sort of quick fix. Though I doubt it.

Is there some possible reason why this happened, or did my keyboard just poo poo all over itself all of a sudden? (And before you ask, no, I haven't dropped the thing recently! It just started acting weird this afternoon.)

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Dr Abobo posted:

I use Verizon and know for a fact AIM uses SMS, I really would like JiveTalk for the storm to come out already...

Sorry but you are wrong.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/why-does-verizon-count-aim-text-messages-252048/

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

checked it out, looked really cool. then I realized it's only for the Storm.

any other really good themes for a Curve 8330? I'm currently using myJavelinAlpha and growing kinda bored of it :iamafag:

I'm using it on my 8900. To get the Today Plus working, you need to put the calendar as the 7th icon. Once that's done, you'll be fine.

Dr. Horrible
Sep 7, 2008
Looks like that they launched some sort of community called "My Blackberry" (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/myblackberry/myblackberry-intro.jsp)

In order to sign up for it it's saying I need an "Invitation Code"

Anyone have one of these to give away? You can check my profile and e-mail it to me :)

Dr Abobo
Mar 29, 2006

Sit down, son.
This question seem a bit random but does anyone know where I can get an app for my storm that shows updated Tide Charts? I know I had one for my Palm but I can't seem to get one for my BB.

Versus Boredom
Sep 20, 2006
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/myblackberry/

Whats the deal with this? Anyone try it out? I guess it got released today, I just found out about it last night - but you need an invite to download it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My Pearl 8100 sometimes stops receiving all data. Used to be once in a while, lately it's every night. No emails, no web browsing, JiveTalk and UberTwitter don't work, the whole nine yards. It's not BES-activated. A battery pull fixes it til next time, and it's only a few minutes in my morning, but anyone know what's up?

Rort
Sep 24, 2006

guppy posted:

My Pearl 8100 sometimes stops receiving all data. Used to be once in a while, lately it's every night. No emails, no web browsing, JiveTalk and UberTwitter don't work, the whole nine yards. It's not BES-activated. A battery pull fixes it til next time, and it's only a few minutes in my morning, but anyone know what's up?

My 8130 has been having the same problem lately. :iiam:

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
What is the point behind having so many models, none of which really combine all the best features ? Does RIM really think people want to waste half a day over which cellphone to get ?
I could understand touch screen and non touch screen, plus niche versions for people who can't a camera at work, but their current lineup is so confusing.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Spatule posted:

What is the point behind having so many models, none of which really combine all the best features ? Does RIM really think people want to waste half a day over which cellphone to get ?
I could understand touch screen and non touch screen, plus niche versions for people who can't a camera at work, but their current lineup is so confusing.

Well if you figure that a lot of people are working on upgrades, your available models to choose from is dropped significantly depending on provider. Then it's just a matter of choosing what features you want.

They do usually have one or two models that have everything but they come out with new ones so often it doesn't last long, just like the iPhones.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Spatule posted:

If you want a QWERTY BlackBerry but you're on CDMA, get the Tour.

If you want a QWERTY BlackBerry but you're on GSM, get the Bold.

If you don't have 3G in your area and you're on GSM or the Bold doesn't support your carrier's 3G frequencies (i.e. T-Mobile USA), get the 8900.

If you want a touchscreen, get the Storm but you need to be on CDMA for the Storm in North America.

If you want a SureType phone which is smaller than the regular QWERTY BlackBerrys, get the Pearl Flip on CDMA or GSM.

There are different carriers with different models. Why make people use only one BlackBerry, like there's only one iPhone (with different storage sizes)? People may not like QWERTY or they may not like SureType or they may not like touchscreens (or RIM's bad implementation of them), so it's best to give them options so they'll buy a BlackBerry.

illezt
Mar 1, 2005

I'm thinking of getting a Blackberry Tour (i'm on Verizon), but i'm leaving to study abroad for a semester in Europe in a month. Is there a way to use the Tour overseas without getting raped by Verizon's international plan prices? I guess it boils down to two questions for me:

- Does the Blackberry Tour accept other SIM cards that aren't Verizon?
- Are there pre-paid SIM cards in Europe that support smartphone functions? (ie; 3G, e-mail, IM, web browsing)

Thanks!

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Google voice app for the Blackberry coming tomorrow!

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/14/google-voice-apps-for-android-and-blackberry-are-here/

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Sizzlechest posted:

Google voice app for the Blackberry coming tomorrow!

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/14/google-voice-apps-for-android-and-blackberry-are-here/

Odd. I just downloaded it for Blackberry today.

Oh, I see. The linked article was written yesterday. Got it.

Oddinary
Jul 25, 2006

Awake in a Dream

illezt posted:

I'm thinking of getting a Blackberry Tour (I'm on Verizon), but I'm leaving to study abroad for a semester in Europe in a month. Is there a way to use the Tour overseas without getting raped by Verizon's international plan prices? I guess it boils down to two questions for me:

- Does the Blackberry Tour accept other SIM cards that aren't Verizon?
- Are there pre-paid SIM cards in Europe that support smartphone functions? (ie; 3G, e-mail, IM, web browsing)

Thanks!
IIRC, the only way to use the Tour overseas without getting raped by VZW is by unlocking the device so that you can use the GSM/HSDPA portion in Europe. Getting it unlocked is probably going to be your toughest challenge, because VZW won't give you the unlock code unless you've had the device for several months. That said, once it's unlocked it can accept any SIM card and will work on any GSM network (worldwide) and international HSDPA (3G).

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
Lately I've noticed my 8330 curve starts responding really slow. Like I'll roll the pearl over to an app I want to use and it just sits there for a few seconds then it moves. This wouldn't bother me too much but it even happens when I'm trying to answer the phone. The phone rings, I click the green button to answer the phone and it takes up to six seconds to actually register that I clicked the answer button. The only apps I've downloaded and use are the Facebook app and the BuzzMe app. I pretty much don't use it for much else than as a phone and camera and occasional mobile facebook photo uploader. Depending on how fast I'm able to get to the phone, the delay from the time I click answer to the time the voicemail kicks in has actually caused me to miss a couple calls. I've tried turning it off and turning it on, that doesn't work and I've tried removing the battery and plugging it back in and that seems to help for a day or two but then it's back to lagging on everything I do. Is this common or do people know a simple fix for this?

Diafthora
Sep 22, 2003

All I wanted to do was introduce him to Mr. Axe

kliksf posted:

Lately I've noticed my 8330 curve starts responding really slow. Like I'll roll the pearl over to an app I want to use and it just sits there for a few seconds then it moves. This wouldn't bother me too much but it even happens when I'm trying to answer the phone. The phone rings, I click the green button to answer the phone and it takes up to six seconds to actually register that I clicked the answer button. The only apps I've downloaded and use are the Facebook app and the BuzzMe app. I pretty much don't use it for much else than as a phone and camera and occasional mobile facebook photo uploader. Depending on how fast I'm able to get to the phone, the delay from the time I click answer to the time the voicemail kicks in has actually caused me to miss a couple calls. I've tried turning it off and turning it on, that doesn't work and I've tried removing the battery and plugging it back in and that seems to help for a day or two but then it's back to lagging on everything I do. Is this common or do people know a simple fix for this?

You might want to check that your phone has the latest firmwares. Sounds like it has a memory leak that often times are fixed with a firmware update. I had this on my old 8100 and updating the firmware helped. I'm not sure what the latest for your model is, but its probably easy to find or someone else can tell you.

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!
I just got a 8900 a few weeks ago and everything was going well until I started using iSkoot for skype. The app itself worked well however any time I then tried to access sms/email messages the phone would lock up and I'd have to either hold down the power button to switch it off then back on again at which point I'd get an uncaught exception error message or I'd have to pull the battery.

I now have the problem that ANY time I want to either access the phone or messages app (ie the main two functions of the device) it locks up and I have to either switch off or pull the battery.

Any ideas what is going on? I have read that occasionally, pulling the battery can corrupt the OS. Should I just try to reinstall the OS? What is the best way of going about this?

Thanks.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

kliksf posted:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

kliksf posted:

Do you save your pictures to the main memory or a media card?
How much free memory does the device show?

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
file free: 36091088 bytes

I save my pictures to wherever they started saving to it's called My Pictures and it's where the last picture I saved went. But there's another folder called device memory and there's pictures in there too. Should I delete those?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

kliksf posted:

file free: 36091088 bytes

I save my pictures to wherever they started saving to it's called My Pictures and it's where the last picture I saved went. But there's another folder called device memory and there's pictures in there too. Should I delete those?

36 Mb seems ok. It's about what my wife's Curve has free.

e: The only pictures my wife keeps in Device memory are the ones associated with contacts.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Chiming in to question the my blackberry area and ask how you get a code.

Versus Boredom
Sep 20, 2006
whats the best place to get a refurbished BlackBerry Curve 8900 ?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
don't know if anyone has noticed, but i just got prompted to download/install bb desktop 5.0 :c00l:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

guppy posted:

you're in an upgrade zone maybe? Some places are upgrading towers and if you travel from one zone to another you may drop off the data "map". The bb's are unable to notice you're off and won'[t catch you back up.

Easy solution: Don't battery pull. Go to manage connections, turn connections off, turn it back on and voila, flood of emails!

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
Copied from Ask/Tell:

It has been decided I need a Blackberry for work. The company will only let me access my email via BES. Now I need to make a decision and I am asking for goon help.

What's in concrete:

-I am going to be using Sprint/Nextel.

-A BBerry to use BES.

What I need:

-Access to the internet.

-SMS and MMS.

-500 Minutes.

-DIRECT loving CONNECT. (this causes all the problems.)

I see two options, keep my Motorola ic502 for direct connect and get an 8330 Curve -OR- ditch the ic502 and get the 8350i.

My concerns with getting the 8350i are data transmission speeds, SMS ( Sprint rep. said I will have to download my SMS messages? huh?) and overall voice quality on the Nextel side of Sprint.

Does anyone have this phone? Can you tell me about it...how well it works with data, how the SMS works, and call quality? Do you not use the internet now because it is too slow?

OR do you think it is worth carrying two phones to have 3g speeds with the standard 8330?

Hex Darkstar
May 28, 2004

I think I need another liver transplant.

gigButt posted:

Questions

As far as i'm aware SMS works the same on all carriers it'll be sent and pushed to you as it arrives you won't have to "download" them regardless of what device you're using.

As for the MMS/Internet service, you need to talk with your employer's IT department and confirm what is and is not allowed with their BES. They can use the IT Policy feature on the BES to lock down the device's functions/make them unavailable. The corporation I work for has MMS disallowed on their devices so even if they have it on their mobile plan it can't be used. I've lost count of how many times I've gotten calls about people bitching that they can't receive or send hilarious pictures to their friends :saddowns:

The non 3G networks still perform relativly fast I had a Curve 8310 on AT&T and the browser was usable and pulled in pages relatively quick on their EDGE network i'm not sure how Sprint's compares though.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Has anyone actually been able to get a Tour yet? I have been trying to exchange my Pre but they are on backorder since basically the first day.

I'm going to have to get notes put on the account blah blah blah because my 30 day exchange period is going to be up before they get any in stock. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

gigButt posted:

Copied from Ask/Tell:

It has been decided I need a Blackberry for work. The company will only let me access my email via BES. Now I need to make a decision and I am asking for goon help.

What's in concrete:

-I am going to be using Sprint/Nextel.

-A BBerry to use BES.

What I need:

-Access to the internet.

-SMS and MMS.

-500 Minutes.

-DIRECT loving CONNECT. (this causes all the problems.)

I see two options, keep my Motorola ic502 for direct connect and get an 8330 Curve -OR- ditch the ic502 and get the 8350i.

My concerns with getting the 8350i are data transmission speeds, SMS ( Sprint rep. said I will have to download my SMS messages? huh?) and overall voice quality on the Nextel side of Sprint.

Does anyone have this phone? Can you tell me about it...how well it works with data, how the SMS works, and call quality? Do you not use the internet now because it is too slow?

OR do you think it is worth carrying two phones to have 3g speeds with the standard 8330?

I currently use the 7800i at work, and we're slowly starting to see the 8350i migrate into our company. That being said, they are TERRIBLE phones. I'm guessing you work in the construction and/or service industry as that's the only businesses these days that still use that horrible DirectConnect from Nextel.

The 7800i and 8350i do the DirrectConnect thing well, but as far as other BlackBerry features go, they're terrible. Sprint doesn't exactly keep their iDen network up to snuff as relatively few people still use it, so data transfer speeds are abysmal. (At least in the Houston area.) Additionally, I indeed have to download my SMS messages! :wtc: I'm actually trying to get my company to set me up with your alternate option: get a regular Sprint BlackBerry and then carry around a beater Nextel for DirectConnect.

Some of the subcontractors we interact with who have to have DirectConnect have been switching over to Verizon's service. Their Push2Talk (or whatever they call it) is integrated with their regular network, so it doesn't have the same network issues that Sprint/Nextel has with their decrepit iDen service. I've heard nothing but good stories from them; however unfortunately you of course can't use the Push2Talk feature with folks on Sprint/Nextel.

So I guess in an ideal world, get your company to switch to Verizon's service, but since that highly unlikely, get the two phones.

• Locked thread