Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Dr Abobo posted:

Anyone know when BeeJive will be out for the Storm? They always go over the expected month. I just want data IMing god damnit.

Look here, friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

It's good to have choices, it's bad to have choice overload without an easy way to differentiate. Of the Blackberry devices out right now, I don't see much of a reason for more than four or five. Ten seems like overkill.

4 would mean that each technology gets 2. 2 run on GSM, 2 run on CDMA. 10 means that your technology gets approximatly 5, which is what you wanted! :D

Seriously, when you're shopping for a phone, you need to know what models have which features. There is no reason to pretend that it's important to know 'why exactly does the BlackBerry Pearl 8100 not record video, but the BlackBerry Pearl 8110 does.'

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Bob Cthulhu posted:

4 would mean that each technology gets 2. 2 run on GSM, 2 run on CDMA. 10 means that your technology gets approximatly 5, which is what you wanted! :D

Seriously, when you're shopping for a phone, you need to know what models have which features. There is no reason to pretend that it's important to know 'why exactly does the BlackBerry Pearl 8100 not record video, but the BlackBerry Pearl 8110 does.'

I meant to say each provider should have no more than four or five Blackberry models, max. That allows for three candybar devices and one device that's generally unique to a carrier (Storm, Bold, Pearl Flip). Plus one, if you really want. Ten for a single provider seems a little crazy.
And it isn't important to know why the Pearl 8100 doesn't record video, but it is important to know that the 8110 does record video, but doesn't have wifi, like another model, but doesn't have this or that, etc. etc.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Spatule posted:

My provider is currently selling 10 blackberry models, there is absolutely no indication of what is newer / better, and the comparison tool on their website can compare 3 phones or something, whatever.

Which provider is this, out of curiosity? Out of the big four US carriers, the largest total I see for any carrier is six (disregarding color options).

ATT: Pearl, Curve, World Phone, Bold, Old Curve (8310), Old Curve (8320).
VZW: Pearl, Curve, World Phone, Storm, Old World Phone, 8703e.
TMO: Pearl, Curve, World Phone, Pearl Flip, 8700g.
SPR: Pearl, Curve, World Phone, Nextel BB, Old World Phone.

I may be wrong, but I would expect the italicized models to drop off the market soon, leaving each carrier with four models, (one of which will probably at any time have an "old" and "current" version available, making five total) which is what sleepwalkers suggested.

I do agree having more than two models of basically the same phone (e.g. Curve 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330) among different carriers is probably unnecessary, and making just one CDMA model and one GSM model would be an improvement.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Which provider is this, out of curiosity? Out of the big four US carriers, the largest total I see for any carrier is six (disregarding color options).

ATT: Pearl, Curve, World Phone, Bold, Old Curve (8310), Old Curve (8320).
VZW: Pearl, Curve, World Phone, Storm, Old World Phone, 8703e.
TMO: Pearl, Curve, World Phone, Pearl Flip, 8700g.
SPR: Pearl, Curve, World Phone, Nextel BB, Old World Phone.

I may be wrong, but I would expect the italicized models to drop off the market soon, leaving each carrier with four models, (one of which will probably at any time have an "old" and "current" version available, making five total) which is what sleepwalkers suggested.

I do agree having more than two models of basically the same phone (e.g. Curve 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330) among different carriers is probably unnecessary, and making just one CDMA model and one GSM model would be an improvement.

This list is incorrect. Here's the correct one (this is from memory). The 8320 on T-Mobile is being replaced by the 8520, which will suck horribly. I would get one for a new backup but my 8700 is fine and BlackBerrys generally suck in the backup role to another BlackBerry (PIN switching, changing poo poo on BIS, etc…). A Nokia E63 would be my backup phone of choice.

ATT: Pearl 8110, Curve 8900, 8820, Bold, Old Curve (8310), Old Curve (8320).

VZW: Pearl Flip, Curve 8330, Tour, Storm, 8830, 8703e.

TMO: Pearl 8120, Curve 8320, Curve 8900, 8820, Pearl Flip, 8700g.

SPR: Pearl 8130, Curve 8330, Tour, 8350i, 8830.

Here's why there are for example, 5 Curve 83xx models or 3 88xx models or 4 81xx models. It used to be that GPS and Wi-Fi couldn't be in 1 BlackBerry. So there had to be 2 models (e.g., 8310 with GPS and 8320 with Wi-Fi). Then there's the CDMA model (e.g. 8330). The original didn't have GPS or Wi-Fi (8300). Then there's the iDEN one (8350i). Also, the 8110, 8120, and 8130 are what should be called the Pearl 1.5. There was a 3.5mm jack and a 2 MP camera on each Pearl 1.5 in addition to their special feature. Now, it's getting simplified with just 1 model (e.g. Storm 95xx). There's the GSM 9500 and the CDMA 9530.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Godzilla07 posted:

This list is incorrect.
Your list is nearly the same as mine, if you substitute the 88x0's for GSM "World Phone" and CDMA "Old World Phone", and substitute the Tour for the CDMA "World Phone". TMO's web site looks like it only shows one model of Curve (I can't tell what the model number is), and as you mentioned Verizon offers the flip as its only Pearl.

My main point with that was to show that it appears that the major US carriers seem to carry a Pearl, a Curve, a World phone, some other phone, and then one or two (probably?) soon-to-be-obsolete phones. So I'm guessing the provider that offers ten is not in the US?

It's good to see that Verizon and Sprint have the same model number for the Tour, and since they both announced that their future BBs will all have Wifi, hopefully that will help streamline things on the CDMA side.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Spatule posted:

So why exactly does the BlackBerry Pearl 8100 not record video, but the BlackBerry Pearl 8110 does ?

Ah and I see the BlackBerry Pearl 8110 has GPS, but the BlackBerry Pearl 8120 does not. But it has WIFI.

Clearly this is necessary.

Clearly it shouldn't make a difference to you, but you appear to want a new custom title about BBs. Just look at the features, find the one with features you want, and buy it. I could make a list of what I want and find at least one phone that fits in about 5 minutes. Why is it so difficult for you?

I could understand the frustration if you had stock in the company and thought they were spending too much money on too many models, but this is the equivalent of yelling about too many choices while standing in the cereal isle at the supermarket. Man up, make a decision, or walk away. No one is forcing you to buy a BB.

(soapbox crushed :( )

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 25, 2009

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Question answered, thanks.
Won't give anyone any bad ideas about how to sneak around not having a data plan.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 10, 2009

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

I've run into a bit of a problem.
I'm a relatively new Blackberry user, so I grabbed a cheap unlocked Pearl 8220 (flip) and have decided to use it on my AT&T account.
Now, I don't have a BB data plan (I'm on the $30/mo unlimited text/data plan, which has worked fine for a Nokia S60 and WinMo phone before), however I'm not necessarily planning on using one, since this phone is only edge. I don't use mobile data all that often (90% of where I spend my time has wifi coverage), but it would be nice to have it work for checking sports scores or IMing.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work out of the box. The real problem is it's still not working after inputting the proper TCP/APN settings. Still getting the lowercase "edge" icon and in running a diagnostic, I'm greeted with "Radio Data Activation: No", which I'm guessing basically means "Yeah, I can't connect."
So, is there anyone who could give me some advice?

Buy a blackberry data plan, because none of the built-in data applications will work without it. You can load Opera Mini through the desktop Application loader, but it's a terrible hack. You will always lowercase edge if you don't have a BB plan.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Again, question answered. Thanks for the help.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 10, 2009

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
D

slow crow fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 12, 2013

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

aunaturale posted:

I need a bit of help: When replacing my 8820 trackball, which way is the teardrop-shaped metal panel on the back supposed to face? The bulb side up or the stem side up?

I've Googled dozens of guides but only find references like 'Make sure that the teardrop faces the right way' or 'Replace the trackpad with the teardrop panel facing the same way as the original configuration' to the point where I don't understand why the writers just didn't actually say which that correct configuration is.

http://weblogs.asp.net/jcogley/archive/2008/01/28/cleaning-the-blackberry-8820-track-ball.aspx says "Reposition the track ball with the vertical part of the metal connector pointing up."

I hope that helps. Worst case scenario you put it the wrong way and have to switch it back. I don't think it's going to break anything.

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
A

slow crow fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 12, 2013

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
A

slow crow fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 12, 2013

Gimik
Sep 3, 2008
So I've had the blackberry speakerphone for a week now (someone here suggested I get one and report how I liked it), so here are my thoughts:

1. Very easy to set up. 2 hour charge the first time and about 10 seconds of setup.

2. FM Transmitter. This was a big selling point for me. It's meh. Not great, very tinny/flat sounding. I guess it sounds something like an FM stereo channel. It's better than nothing though, and I still use it every day to stream Pandora while I drive to/from work. Also, having the calls come over the car stereo is very nice.

3. Sound quality. The people I've spoken to say it sounds pretty good, but definitely like a speakerphone. Which isn't bad because it's much, much better than the built-in speakerphone on the Bold.

4. Voice Dialing. It works pretty well. I dont remember if I've already set up voice tags on my phone though, so that might help it a lot. I only call a couple numbers, so this might suck for someone who has to put a million tags by hand in their contact list.

All in all, I'd buy one at ~$85 (or whatever it was). I wish it had better sound for streaming music, but I think that's a limitation of the technology more than the device itself.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Any one know when there will be a Today them for the Tour? This generic theme is killing me and I'm too lazy to look in my calendar each hour to see whats coming up.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Alfalfa posted:

Any one know when there will be a Today them for the Tour? This generic theme is killing me and I'm too lazy to look in my calendar each hour to see whats coming up.

Whenever Plazmic releases the next theme builder or whenever it leaks out (like 4.7 did).

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Got a used Blackberry 7520 and got it working with Boost thanks to the guides on Howardforums. Boost's downloading is incredibly slow, but it's pretty hard to beat paying $10 about every 90 days for a data connection. I'm just going to use it for IMs and chat mostly anyway, though, and maybe pulling up Google Reader, so the speed really isn't a big deal.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Does anyone have any first hand experience with any of the hosted BES companies out there? I know there are reviews and recommendations on places like BB Geeks, but wanted to see if anyone here has used or could recommend one as well.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
I'm having a problem with my Bold. I used to have a data plan, and when I did WiFi worked fine. Now, I don't have a BB data plan, and I'm trying to use WiFi, but the WiFi logo is grayed out, and instead of a green check mark next to the WiFi selection, there's a "-" instead. I've got the WEP correct, and the SSID as well. I've tried adding the Bold's MAC address to the Linksys wireless router, that didn't healp either. I've changed the browser to Hotspot, and I've deleted and re-sent/registered the WiFi service book, nothing has helped. Data services are ON.

Does anyone have any ideas?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
This is a long shot, but you've pulled the battery, right?

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Has anyone successfully installed BES 5.0 on the same server running Exchange 2007? You don't need to beat it into my head that I shouldn't even attempt it, I've run over that with the customer already. However, they don't want to shell out for another server and Windows license, so I'm doing what I can with what I'm provided. MAPI isn't able to initialize in the BES configuration. I've installed Microsoft’s Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects, even though I've read that it can gently caress up your server. Again, using what I'm provided with. Still not making a successful connection, and I doubt it's going to work. If anyone has an idea, though, I'd love to hear it.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

guppy posted:

This is a long shot, but you've pulled the battery, right?

Yes pulled the battery multiple times, no luck.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Spreading the Tour love here!

The right side convenience key features two levels of activation. A soft press turns on the LCD display. A hard press activates the shortcut you've assigned. A very nice feature indeed!

Also, this:

Jam2 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 2, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Jam2 posted:

Spreading the Tour love here!

The right side convenience key features two levels of activation. A soft press turns on the LCD display. A hard press activates the shortcut you've assigned. A very nice feature indeed!

Also, this:

Well the right convenience key was really designed for the camera. If you set that key to camera, hold the shutter button halfway and the autofocus will be prepped just like on a normal camera. If you're not in the camera, then a half press will turn the LCD on as you've said.

brainguy
Jan 25, 2007

Why be Toolsy when you can be Gumby
has anybody with a tour had any problems with the battery? i just got one & its only holding a charge for ~2 days. i can't imagine that that is normal, especially when the manual says it should last 14 days. its not like i'm on it constantly or anything either.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

brainguy posted:

has anybody with a tour had any problems with the battery? i just got one & its only holding a charge for ~2 days. i can't imagine that that is normal, especially when the manual says it should last 14 days. its not like i'm on it constantly or anything either.

14 days is if you do absolutely nothing with the device, leave the radio off and leave the device on standby. I can get that type of battery life with my 8700 because normally it's on and sitting doing nothing with the radio off. ~2 days is actually great for battery life as far as smartphones go. I get 1.5-2 days out of my 8900 on one charge.

brainguy
Jan 25, 2007

Why be Toolsy when you can be Gumby

Godzilla07 posted:

14 days is if you do absolutely nothing with the device, leave the radio off and leave the device on standby. I can get that type of battery life with my 8700 because normally it's on and sitting doing nothing with the radio off. ~2 days is actually great for battery life as far as smartphones go. I get 1.5-2 days out of my 8900 on one charge.

ok, i really didn't expect 14 days! but i also thought ~2 days seemed really bad. i've had a razr forever so i'm new to the smartphone scene. thanks a bunch!

Gimik
Sep 3, 2008

brainguy posted:

ok, i really didn't expect 14 days! but i also thought ~2 days seemed really bad. i've had a razr forever so i'm new to the smartphone scene. thanks a bunch!

yeah 2 days is about average for normal use for me too (on the bold).

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have a Pearl 8100. I'm on JiveTalk and UberTwitter pretty much my entire workday, so I don't even get a full day out of it :(

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
I don't get a full day out of my Tour. I have GPS enabled.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I get 2 days of battery life from my 8900 if I don't have Beejive running but I have SocialScope running most of the time. With Beejive and SocialScope both on I get a day and a half of battery life meaning I need to get a topoff charge in order ot make it through the day.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Im thinking about picking up a backup phone from ebay incase my hactivated iphone 2g on tmobile takes a poo poo or something. The Pearl looks like it can do pretty much everything i want it to do (really just facebook and stuff, nothing too intense) but how far off is the pearl from getting its support dropped or something?

From the looks of it, its about 2 years old already, i was just wondering if there are certain apps that refuse to work on it, or if blackberry has stopped releasing OS updates for it because of its considered "old" hardware.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Im thinking about picking up a backup phone from ebay incase my hactivated iphone 2g on tmobile takes a poo poo or something. The Pearl looks like it can do pretty much everything i want it to do (really just facebook and stuff, nothing too intense) but how far off is the pearl from getting its support dropped or something?

From the looks of it, its about 2 years old already, i was just wondering if there are certain apps that refuse to work on it, or if blackberry has stopped releasing OS updates for it because of its considered "old" hardware.

I don't like BlackBerrys as backup phones. They're bitches and you need to have the BlackBerry data plan to do anything with them such as using the Facebook app. You'd be better served with a S60 phone such as the Nokia E63 (Dell has them for $150 now). The E63 will work with a generic data plan such as the $5.99 t-zones or $9.99 web2go. But if you're still interested, the Pearl 8100 which is the model you're talking about still has OS updates released for it, the latest version is 4.5.0.162 which is the latest for all GSM 4.5 devices. I'm not sure if the 8100 will get an OS 5.0 release though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Godzilla07 posted:

I don't like BlackBerrys as backup phones. They're bitches and you need to have the BlackBerry data plan to do anything with them such as using the Facebook app. You'd be better served with a S60 phone such as the Nokia E63 (Dell has them for $150 now). The E63 will work with a generic data plan such as the $5.99 t-zones or $9.99 web2go. But if you're still interested, the Pearl 8100 which is the model you're talking about still has OS updates released for it, the latest version is 4.5.0.162 which is the latest for all GSM 4.5 devices. I'm not sure if the 8100 will get an OS 5.0 release though.

Yeah, switching over the data plans dont bother me.

And i did some :google: and saw that the pearl flip will be getting OS5.0, but it made no mention of the Pearl8100. Arent they pretty much the same hardware, besides the clamshell design of the flip?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, switching over the data plans dont bother me.

And i did some :google: and saw that the pearl flip will be getting OS5.0, but it made no mention of the Pearl8100. Arent they pretty much the same hardware, besides the clamshell design of the flip?

Then what data plan do you have then? web2go?

The Pearl 8120 has the same hardware as the Pearl Flip. I don't know what devices RIM is planning to roll 5.0 on. I'd bet that out of the current 4.5 devices, the Pearl 2 series (8110, 8120 and 8130), the Curves and the 8820 will be upgraded to 5.0 but nobody knows what RIM will really do.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Godzilla07 posted:

Then what data plan do you have then? web2go?

The Pearl 8120 has the same hardware as the Pearl Flip. I don't know what devices RIM is planning to roll 5.0 on. I'd bet that out of the current 4.5 devices, the Pearl 2 series (8110, 8120 and 8130), the Curves and the 8820 will be upgraded to 5.0 but nobody knows what RIM will really do.

I have a generic "smartphone" plan bundled with unlimited messaging that cost $30 extra a month.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just got a bold and hopped over here to see some applications to download, I didn't want to get one because literally everyone I know has one but drat the keyboard is great, it gets better service than any other phone I had, and it's more customizable than any phone I've had. Doesn't hurt that I can essentially talk to everyone for free now either.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I have a generic "smartphone" plan bundled with unlimited messaging that cost $30 extra a month.

Save yourself some money and drop down to the $20/month web2go + unlimited texts. It's the same drat thing.

I'll update the OP with some new info by the end of the week with the Tour being removed from upcoming devices and some info on how to install new OS software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibby 117
Jun 13, 2006

Open your mind.
Jumped on the Tour bandwagaon. Anyone have some suggestions for downloads besides the ones in the op.

I love games, and useful aps. I also need a good calendar/scheduler type app (I hear the bb one is just ok).

• Locked thread