Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

how do you do it cause it doesn't work when i do it :(

Delete and re-add your Gmail account on your carrier's BIS website. That should work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Medullah posted:

I like it 10 times better than IE, but I recommend installing Opera Mini which is 100 times better than IE.

If you like Opera Mini, you'll love Bolt.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Sizzlechest posted:

If you like Opera Mini, you'll love Bolt.

Bolt seems pretty great, its much quicker than Opera Mini.

I don't like how I can't disable images though, I can only set them to low quality. :(

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I'm looking for a program that I can put on my computer that will allow me to see my blackberries screen on my computer. I don't need to control the blackberry from the computer just see it on the computer screen. Does anything exist like this?

Diafthora
Sep 22, 2003

All I wanted to do was introduce him to Mr. Axe

Burden posted:

I'm looking for a program that I can put on my computer that will allow me to see my blackberries screen on my computer. I don't need to control the blackberry from the computer just see it on the computer screen. Does anything exist like this?

What are you trying to do exactly? I don't think its possible, but RIM offers a Blackberry simulator program if you just want to see what it may look like: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/resources/simulators.jsp

That should work pretty well unless there's something specific you wanted from your phone to be displayed on a computer.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Diafthora posted:

What are you trying to do exactly? I don't think its possible, but RIM offers a Blackberry simulator program if you just want to see what it may look like: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/resources/simulators.jsp

That should work pretty well unless there's something specific you wanted from your phone to be displayed on a computer.

Basically I need to be able to take screen shots of my screen. I believe Rove mobile made something but I don't think so anymore. I am willing to pay for it as well. It doesn't have to be free.

Diafthora
Sep 22, 2003

All I wanted to do was introduce him to Mr. Axe

Burden posted:

Basically I need to be able to take screen shots of my screen. I believe Rove mobile made something but I don't think so anymore. I am willing to pay for it as well. It doesn't have to be free.

I mentioned Capture It earlier, which does exactly that. It takes a screenshot on the Blackberry itself and saves it in your pictures folder. More info and download link here: http://www.blackberrynews.com/2008/11/15/capture-it-grabs-blackberry-screen-shots-on-device/

That article says its version 1.0, but the OTA link included in that article is no 1.4.

solarisin
Jun 23, 2009

Horizontally Opposed
I prefer BOLT, i like it 10x more than opera mini. Seems faster, too.

Jake Gittes posted:

Are there any decent Telnet and/or SSH clients out there for the Blackberry? A quick googling finds some possibilities, but nothing jumps out a me as reliable.

Anyone know the answer to this question?

solarisin fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 30, 2009

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

solarisin posted:

Anyone know the answer to this question?

I used the free one: http://www.xk72.com/midpssh/

It won't work unless you configure the APN settings.

There's another one for $99 (no, that's not a typo), but I've never heard of anyone who bought it.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
How is the Blackberry App store?

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Opinions vary. Install it and have a look!

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Slow! I prefer using the Mobihand app store since most of the same apps are on both. I desperately wish that RIM would create a PC client so you could browse somewhere besides your blackberry.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
The Tour is being released on Sprint soon.

1. Is the GSM function unlocked? Can I just pop in an International SIM and go?

2. Should I wait for the AT&T's non-CDMA Tour equivalent?

3. Which carrier has the absolute fastest internet service in Florida or the USA in general?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Hey guys, got a question regarding cases for the curve. Someone I work with wants to know if there exists any sort of case that covers the front of the phone and in some way manages to magnify the keys or makes them easier to read. I haven't heard of a case that does this, and I don't even know how it would work, but I thought I'd take a shot and see if anyone happens to know of something like this.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl
I'm looking at getting either a tour when it come out or an Iphone. My big question here is I know RIM has an App store, how rich is it? Does it come close the the Iphone app store or what? From the article I saw on line it wasn't the greatest.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Noghri_ViR posted:

I'm looking at getting either a tour when it come out or an Iphone. My big question here is I know RIM has an App store, how rich is it? Does it come close the the Iphone app store or what? From the article I saw on line it wasn't the greatest.

It's not the greatest, but it has all the basic stuff I needed. Twitter, Weather, AIM, rss feeds, movie info, games, etc.

The biggest problem is you can only browse it from the phone so it makes searching and digging a pain.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

I am deciding between a Pre and a Tour on a new Sprint EVDO plan.

Questions:

1. I wish to be alerted of new POP3 email messages as well as new AIM messages as they arrive. Can the Tour do this?

2. Will the data plan cost the same as the Pre's data plan? I don't need to connect to a Blackberry server (as far as I am aware). I just need POP3 email, AIM, and browser internet and maybe SSH.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Pike posted:

I am deciding between a Pre and a Tour on a new Sprint EVDO plan.

Questions:

1. I wish to be alerted of new POP3 email messages as well as new AIM messages as they arrive. Can the Tour do this?

2. Will the data plan cost the same as the Pre's data plan? I don't need to connect to a Blackberry server (as far as I am aware). I just need POP3 email, AIM, and browser internet and maybe SSH.

1. All blackberrys support push email and real multi-tasking so you'll be alerted the second someone IMs you or sends you an email.

2. Probably, most companies have a 'smartphone' data plan price.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Noghri_ViR posted:

It has fart apps! How can it not be awesome? :rolleyes:

Hah, but seriously...It doesn't have the tens of thousands of apps like the Apple app store, but it has about a thousand I'd say. Some of those are bullshit apps like lightsaber simulators, fart apps, and the like though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Like others have mentioned, the App World selection is tiny compared to the App Store, but arguably a lot of stuff that's missing is "fluff". To add to that, here's what the categories list of the App World shows right now:

Entertainment (107)
Games (422)
Maps & Navigation (19)
Music & Video (40)
News & Weather (40)
Personal Finance & Banking (34)
Productivity & Utilities (280)
Professional & Business (82)
Reference & eBooks (128)
Social Networking & Sharing (46)
Sports & Recreation (59)
Travel (67)

Most of the App Store "standards" seem to be available on the App World. Pandora (and other streamers), Beejive (w/30 day trial), Palingro, and everyone's dedicated IM apps, the weather apps, social networking stuff (Facebook came preloaded on my wife's Curve), etc. As a side note, there pretty much is no such thing as a 99-cent BB app.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Is there a way to get a different tone when a contact emails? Not calls, but say I REALLY care when I get an email from Bob so I want a totally different tone than standard when I get an email from him. Is there a way to do this?

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Just exchanged my Touch Pro recently to the Sprint Curve. This is my first BB and noticing there is a tiny hair (or dust) under the screen. Is this normal? Things like this drive me crazy so hopefully it's not too common :(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

OMGzKakaniz posted:

Just exchanged my Touch Pro recently to the Sprint Curve. This is my first BB and noticing there is a tiny hair (or dust) under the screen. Is this normal? Things like this drive me crazy so hopefully it's not too common :(

Haha I have a curve through Verizon for work and there is a poo poo ton of dust on mine. A friend had the same thing happen and pulled that frame off to clean it out.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Captain Pike posted:

Yes the tour as with any black berry.

Captain Pike posted:

The only way one would be more expensive is if your company had a blackberry enterprise server and you wanted to use it. Sprint charges 20 a month to be able to use a BES.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

EDIT: heyyy... nevermind, sorted it out.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 7, 2009

Dr Abobo
Mar 29, 2006

Sit down, son.
Anyone know when BeeJive will be out for the Storm? They always go over the expected month. I just want data IMing god damnit.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

RevKrule posted:

Is there a way to get a different tone when a contact emails? Not calls, but say I REALLY care when I get an email from Bob so I want a totally different tone than standard when I get an email from him. Is there a way to do this?

You can have his messages set up as Level 1 messages if you use BIS, then have L1 messages have a different notification type. That's about it though

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Abobo posted:

Anyone know when BeeJive will be out for the Storm? They always go over the expected month. I just want data IMing god damnit.

The official clients use data.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just upgraded from an HTC Touch to a Curve 8330 and god drat I love this thing. The way Facebook automatically updates my contacts and stuff is just so great.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

big mean giraffe posted:

The official clients use data.

AIM uses SMS.

Also, I think I've officially decided, as soon as the iPhone comes out for Verizon, I'm ditching my Storm.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

SgtScruffy posted:

AIM uses SMS.

Also, I think I've officially decided, as soon as the iPhone comes out for Verizon, I'm ditching my Storm.

Maybe on Verizon, but not on any of the other carriers.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat
will a PRL update fix the problem I'm having with my curve 8330m dropping EV-DO and sticking me with 1X?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

SgtScruffy posted:

AIM uses SMS.

I don't think any blackberry uses SMS for IM anymore since blackberry came out with an AIM application. I picked mine up from the ap store.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/features/im/aim.jsp

edit: Welcome to 2008 http://www.rimarkable.com/aim-now-available-to-verizon-blackberry-users

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Bisty Q. posted:

You can have his messages set up as Level 1 messages if you use BIS, then have L1 messages have a different notification type. That's about it though

How do I go about doing this? This sounds like just about what I'm wanting to do.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?
Anybody here have the Bold? I got one back in April when it was pretty new, paid $600 for it (no upgrade+high sales tax in the state I was in for school). I've seen lower prices since then, which kinda pisses me off but whatever, it was cool to be the first of my friends to have one, although someone got one a week after I did.

Anyway, this phone is a gigantic, steaming pile of crap. Battery life is poo poo, it drains way faster than my old blackberry, the browser took some getting used to (although it's actually not that bad) and, although the Wi-Fi is pretty quick, it's got pretty poor reception. (At my house, my phone usually gets 1 bar in my room, while my laptop gets about 4-5).

What gets me the most is the fragility of it. I haven't had any major drops, and I protect it with the rubber sleeve thing, but it already seems to be falling apart, the back of the phone feels loose and I'm almost positive that the screen is leaking liquid crystal occasionally.

Anybody else have problems with it? I'm seriously considering keeping it till December and using my upgrade to downgrade to the 8900.

On the plus side, the keyboard is awesome.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

modestduty posted:

Anybody here have the Bold?

I have had no such issues with the Bold. I got the phone originally a couple days after it came out, and my first phone had a bum speaker in the earpiece, but after returning the phone for another Bold, I've had nothing but great things to say about it. Battery life is fine for me; it lasts for a full two days without me having to slow down a bit. I've also had no issues with the sturdiness of the phone; mine is still solid as a rock.

It really is the best phone I've ever owned. It does everything I'd like it to do pretty well, but it does everything I need it to do flawlessly. I had never owned a BlackBerry before I picked up the Bold, and but now I'm a total BB convert.

BlackBerry fanboy itt.

edit. Though to be fair, at work I have to use the Blackberry 7100i for the Nextel DirectConnect feature, and the phone an abomination against god. (Yes, that is a pull-out antenna on top.) As far as I can tell, the construction and service industries are the only people who still use the Nextel iDen network, so the coverage has fallen into complete disrepair. (Good luck getting consistent coverage if you're inside a large building!) On top of that, the interface is slow, ham-handed, and hopelessly outdated. The 7100i is in fact the worst phone I've ever owned. Odd that I currently have both the worst and best phones I've ever used!

Jake Gittes fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 10, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

modestduty posted:

Anybody here have the Bold? I got one back in April when it was pretty new, paid $600 for it (no upgrade+high sales tax in the state I was in for school). I've seen lower prices since then, which kinda pisses me off but whatever, it was cool to be the first of my friends to have one, although someone got one a week after I did.

Anyway, this phone is a gigantic, steaming pile of crap. Battery life is poo poo, it drains way faster than my old blackberry, the browser took some getting used to (although it's actually not that bad) and, although the Wi-Fi is pretty quick, it's got pretty poor reception. (At my house, my phone usually gets 1 bar in my room, while my laptop gets about 4-5).

What gets me the most is the fragility of it. I haven't had any major drops, and I protect it with the rubber sleeve thing, but it already seems to be falling apart, the back of the phone feels loose and I'm almost positive that the screen is leaking liquid crystal occasionally.

Anybody else have problems with it? I'm seriously considering keeping it till December and using my upgrade to downgrade to the 8900.

Before you write the Bold off completely, upgrade your OS. It will solve the battery life problems. Also, the latest OS (4.6.0.282) allows you to disable 3G if 3G is weak in your area or you don't really have a need for it to give you better battery life. Here's the instructions and the OS. - http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/official-9000-os-4-6-0-282-released-251060/

Gimik
Sep 3, 2008

modestduty posted:

I own a bold and it's the best phone I've ever owned or used even. I get 2-3 days per charge and have had none of the problems you've described. I love this phone. The 8900 is a great phone too though - i just couldn't live without 3G.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

RevKrule posted:

How do I go about doing this? This sounds like just about what I'm wanting to do.

If you log in to your carrier's BIS site (http://carriername.blackberry.net), you can set up a filter for "Send to device as level 1 message" (or something like that.)

Then, on the phone, go into the profile menu and scroll down to advanced, edit the profiles you use to make Level 1 Messages do whatever you want messages from this guy to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
This might be stupid.

I have a Blackberry Pearl, purchased last year through Verizon which I understand just merged with Alltel.

Yesterday I started getting emails from THREE YEARS AGO. They aren't coming up in my email inbox on my computer, so I know it's just the phone and not just one website either. I've gotten everything from Livejournal and Facebook notifications to Chase balance reports to Ticketmaster spam. I'd say I've gotten 60-70 of these in the past 24 hours and they're crowding actual new email out of the inbox, not to mention waking me up by making my phone vibrate like crazy. I just now got eight all at once.

Second problem: it's stopped telling me who called when I get a "missed call" note. It tells me I have a missed call, so I go to the call history, which is... blank.

Christ, gently caress this phone. October can't get here quick enough.

• Locked thread