Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Im thinking about picking up a backup phone from ebay incase my hactivated iphone 2g on tmobile takes a poo poo or something. The Pearl looks like it can do pretty much everything i want it to do (really just facebook and stuff, nothing too intense) but how far off is the pearl from getting its support dropped or something?

From the looks of it, its about 2 years old already, i was just wondering if there are certain apps that refuse to work on it, or if blackberry has stopped releasing OS updates for it because of its considered "old" hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Godzilla07 posted:

I don't like BlackBerrys as backup phones. They're bitches and you need to have the BlackBerry data plan to do anything with them such as using the Facebook app. You'd be better served with a S60 phone such as the Nokia E63 (Dell has them for $150 now). The E63 will work with a generic data plan such as the $5.99 t-zones or $9.99 web2go. But if you're still interested, the Pearl 8100 which is the model you're talking about still has OS updates released for it, the latest version is 4.5.0.162 which is the latest for all GSM 4.5 devices. I'm not sure if the 8100 will get an OS 5.0 release though.

Yeah, switching over the data plans dont bother me.

And i did some :google: and saw that the pearl flip will be getting OS5.0, but it made no mention of the Pearl8100. Arent they pretty much the same hardware, besides the clamshell design of the flip?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Godzilla07 posted:

Then what data plan do you have then? web2go?

The Pearl 8120 has the same hardware as the Pearl Flip. I don't know what devices RIM is planning to roll 5.0 on. I'd bet that out of the current 4.5 devices, the Pearl 2 series (8110, 8120 and 8130), the Curves and the 8820 will be upgraded to 5.0 but nobody knows what RIM will really do.

I have a generic "smartphone" plan bundled with unlimited messaging that cost $30 extra a month.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Just got a curve 8520 from tmobile; is there an app or something where i can change how my phone alerts me to txt messages? Something where i can change how often the little light blinks, make it stay on, or make it flash the screen on/off if its on vibrate/silent etc.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

sba posted:

Is there a Curve App that threads TXT conversations?

http://blackberryrocks.com/2009/08/18/bchat-threaded-text-messaging-blackberry/

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Facebook on blackberry is supposed to alert you when you have notifcations, correct? Because it's not notifying me at all. Even if i actually launch the app and check the "Notifications" tab, it doesn't actually show any new ones.

Is this related at all to tmobile having trouble with SMS the past week? I mean my emails still get pushed fine...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Godzilla07 posted:

The Facebook app alerts you based off of the notification e-mails that you get from Facebook. I'm on T-Mobile and my alerts get pushed fine to my device.

Ah, that's probably why im not getting any. I set facebook to specifically NOT send an email everytime someone wrote on my wall or commented a picture. Time to turn all that on i guess.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

big mean giraffe posted:

Why would you choose the curve 8520 over an 8900??

I thought that trackpad was cool. Im within my 14 day return period though, so i might just return it and get the 8900. It honestly doesent matter all that much to me though.

Got my facebook notifications updating correctly now. If only tmobile would fix there issues with SMS...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

big mean giraffe posted:

Definitely switch out for the 8900. It's a much better phone and will last you much longer. Auto-focusing camera and much nicer screen too.

Yeah, i think you guys convinced me to do this. It's still within its 14 day return period so all i would really have to do is return it and pay the difference of the phones, which is only about 20-30 bucks. I guess i'll do it on monday when the store re-opens.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I would kill for threaded SMS on my 8520 :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

big mean giraffe posted:

I don't see how it could be so hard to integrate into 4.5 too. It doesn't seem like it's that complicated.

8520 is getting 5.0, it just doesent have any leaked builds of 5.0 yet since its so new.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Just need some clarification: if i make a phonecall when the phone is on UMA, it does NOT eat up airtime minutes, correct?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

second best sponge posted:

I have a curve 8520 on t-mobile.

I have my gmail account set up as my default on the phone but I'm sick of it alerting me everything I get spam mail. I have the gmail app that I can check when I want. How do I keep my gmail account as my default and just turn off getting new notifications every time I get any mail? It does the same thing with my facebook app, notifying me both as a new message and a facebook message. Last time I deleted my email address from the phone it wouldn't let me email pictures. It's kind of a huge pain in the rear end.

I believe you have to do this in profiles. Go to profiles, then advanced, then select the profile. It will show you the list of apps you currently have installed and you can change the preferences that way.

I set facebook to not vibrate each time i have a notification, but to show a little icon/make the LED blink. :)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Sizzlechest posted:

Do you have T-Mobile? Unless you have the @Home service for $10 a month extra, you will still eat up minutes.

Yes, i have tmobile.

Ah gently caress, oh well.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Anyone know why my curve 8520 from tmbobile will distort most of the pictures im sending by MMS?

Ive had several of the pictures i send threw MMS come out severely distorted on my friends phones when it arrives to them; for example it will give the bottom half of the photo a severe blue tint/coating, make half of the image sepia, or something similar.

At first i thought i was hitting an MMS size limit of some sort (i know verizons is ~350kb, so i judged it off that) but even after lowering my photo resolution so the messages avereaged ~250kb, it still happens :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

big mean giraffe posted:

Your blackberry will autoconvert the picture to within the mms size limit, so it's not from that. That's very odd.

Anybody else know whats going on with this? :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

big mean giraffe posted:

Your phone's hosed up, take it back and get it replaced if you just got it.

It doesent do it with all pictures though; i can resend the same picture and it will come out fine.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
For what its worth, my 8520 (what people call the "entry level blackberry, so you would think build quality would be lovely) is rock solid. They really did a nice job on the device, i feel like.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Schleep posted:

I just went and picked up a new Tour from Verizon and the guy mentioned that the BB email service was down. He said he didn't know when it'd be back up but this could affect how soon I could set up my email. Anyone experiencing any problems?

Im on tmobile but its been kinda broken for the past few days; for example facebook alerts are directly tied to your email on BB but im only getting about 1/4 of the ones i should be.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Ugh, the rumors of the Blackberry "striker" sound awesome. Its bassically an upgraded pearl that will have more memory, better resoloution, and be really-thin.

I actually would have got the pearl over my curve, but i hated the fact that they stopped updating the OS.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

big mean giraffe posted:

They didn't? The pearl is on the same applications version as the curve.

As far as OS 5.0 goes, i mean. My 8520 will get 5.0 but the blackberry pearls wont. :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

veril posted:

Says who?
Edit - to expand, I think 5.0 is coming for all devices that currently have 4.5. There have already been leaks of 5.0 for the 8330 (Curve) and 8130 (Pearl)

No, the pearl's dont have enough internal memory for 5.0 :(

The CDMA curve's do though. (8330)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

big mean giraffe posted:

There is definitely no Pearl 5.0. Even 8330 with 5.0 has memory issues and leaks. I would be surprised if it ever came out other than a leak.

Which is why the striker sounds really awesome to me.

I did some more :google: 'in around on it though and it appears half the sites are reporting it to be a slimmer pearl, and half are saying its a really slim curve like device. I really hope its bassically the pearl2.

Hell if they would just re-release the flip pearl without the "flip" part i would buy that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Is there a way to take a screenshot? Buttom combination or something? :google: just points me to a couple of pay applications.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Godzilla07 posted:

The same thing happened to me with my 8900. My battery cover doesn't slide aruond anymore and the trackball is more solid-feeling. I'm almost tempted to hold off getting the 9700 for a few months but I would definitely like my 3G.

Well, since the 9700 doesent haven a trackball anymore; that's one less thing to worry about.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I sold my Blackberry 8520 on SAMart and am planning on shipping it out tommorow. What do i need to do to the phone? Obviously erase all the data off it, but ive heard that sometimes the BB PIN gets locked or something?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

toybux posted:

This might be a really simple question, but what are the advantages to built in Wifi? I'm considering a Tour and the lack of Wifi is the only problem I see with it for my needs, but never having had a device with Wifi I'm not sure how often I'd use it. I assume it gives you better speeds for data in locations with Wifi, but is there anything else? How does Wifi power drain compare to using the network for data?

Edit: What is the best browser for the Tour? It doesn't list it as an option for Opera Mobile.

I found with 3G, the only time you should really use wifi is if your in an area that dosent have 3G coverage, or if your inside a building that really kills your signal.

Other than that, you wont really notice a difference in 3G speeds and wifi speeds, especially on blackberry's sorry little browsers...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

frobert blamble posted:

I don't understand all the hate for the RIM browser. I do pretty much all my recreational browsing on my computer but whenever I've had to use it when I was out of the house it was never egregiously slow and I've never had any problems aesthetically. I can see why it would be inadequate if I wanted to use it to, for example, read the forums or something but I feel like that's not really what it's meant for.

Have you ever used the iphones browser or androids? It kicks the absolute poo poo out of Rims/3rd party browsers on blackberrys. There really is no excuse for it.

Sure, it might have been fine for what you were doing at the time, but there is a reason why Rim is dumping alot of resources into building, you know, a halfway competent web browser right now.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

big mean giraffe posted:

The only thing at all that Safari mobile does is pinch-zoom and I have it on CyanogenMod so it can be patched in. Android browser is just as functional otherwise. Does Safari Mobile support multiple windows/tabs?

Yes, it does.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Anybody here have a reliable website that you can buy modded-blackberrys from, or send yours in to get it modded?

Im thinking about suprising :siren: my girlfriend :siren: with a blackberry that has a purple backlit LED (for the keyboard) and some custom colors and stuff.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

spog posted:

BBM seems to still be a piece of buggy crap though. Mind you, until they release a desktop version, I doubt I will ever use it anyway. It's such a half-assed bit of software.

How? As a former blackberry user, it was easily one of my favorite apps for blackberry. Also; everyone else sings of its praises also. I dont remember it being buggy at all...so whats the problem with it?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

spog posted:

It's not buggy, but the review system is a pile of crap. The reviews seem as coherent as the average youtube comments section and it seems that vote-spamming is common-place.

The decriptions are lackluster and non-decriptive. Plus, some shareware is classed as freeware.

That said, the actual download/install part seems to work pretty well.

Um, your thinking of appworld, not BBM...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
My Girlfriend stopped getting updates for facebook on her blackberry. She claims to have not touched any settings; so whats going on? It started yesterday and she's already done a battery pull ( set quickpull to automatically do its thing at 5AM every morning since she has a Pearl 8130 on verizon and she needs all the memory she can get on it)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

TurboLuvah posted:

Looks like it might not be just your gf who is having this problem:

http://crackberry.com/facebook-streams-not-refreshing-blackberry-users

Funny enough; the issue is actually totally seperate from this one. We found it out; she changed her login to her University email instead of a regular gmail one; but she cant tie her blackberry to her university email for some reason. I guess its not supported or something.

Oh well :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Godzilla07 posted:

RIM is the old man of the industry now. They will be hosed in the next year, as MS can finally pitch a decent phone for a corporate solution. Plus WM7 looks a lot more attractive to customers. I'm probably getting a WM7 phone or the next iPhone depending on what happens between now and when the first WM7 devices come out.

Except the fact that WM7 isnt aimed at corporate solutions at all, its aimed squarely at the same market android/iphone is.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

spog posted:

No-one is ever allowed to complain about the BB software ever again.

If you ever find yourself about to rant about something, go and play with a Nokia 'smart'phone.

I promise that you will not complain about the BB software again after just 5 minutes of trying to read a contact.

If you really insist that BB's aren't great, buy said Nokia and try to sync it, or run the messenger, or use wifi or anything like that and you will turn tricks on the street to buy a replacement BB.

(Guess who bought a Nokia and is now offering sex for sale?)

No one thinks the BB os is bad, just outdated.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

surivdaoreht posted:

Question for you guys.

I just got my first blackberry (Bold 9700), and I'm curious about this mode it goes into when it has very little battery remaining.

At around 7:30 pm, the phone tells me "no radio" and I quickly figure out that this doesn't let me talk or text. So I figured the phone was on it's last bit of juice.. so whatever. I don't have any means of charging it when I'm on the road, so I don't think much of it. Well, I'm still driving three hours later and I've been checking periodically -- the phones still alive. I'd much rather have it allow me to talk and text until it dies, than conserve it's battery and do nothing useful for 3 hours.

Is there any way to change that type of setting?

Im not sure if you can stop it from happening, but when it goes into that mode you could just turn the wireless radio back on im pretty sure.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Godzilla07 posted:

Storm 1 will never get OS 6, too low memory. Storm 2 is unknown. Verizon stopped officially testing it from rumors but that doesn't prevent another carrier from releasing OS 6. There's not many of them though.

What would be better than an OS 6 upgrade? An Android phone.

Not if you value battery life.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

big mean giraffe posted:

They have such high PPI because they're tiny as gently caress. After moving to a 3.7" screen I can't imagine ever going to back to anything smaller. Everything's so cramped and unpleasant.

In your opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Enigma89 posted:

How do I check if it is unlocked? I hope it is, cause if not I will have to make a long call to Germany.

Thanks for the info and the quick reply.

E:
Is it hard to transfer all the data and the contacts over to the new sim card? Is it even stored on the sim card or just on the phone?

EDIT 2:
I think my phone is unlocked already. I followed these instructions and I wasn't able to do the 2nd step (the one with the alt+2) and my phone already says everything is disabled.

Everything should be on the phone, not on the simcard.

• Locked thread