Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Iron Beagle posted:

I am so surprised by the great battery life my new Curve 8900 has been getting! My Verizon Curve didn't have this great of battery life, only lasting about a day or so, and my Pre and iPhone wouldn't be able to make it through the whole day usually.

With the 8900 I unplugged it from its charger at 9am yesterday, have been using it extensively, downloading programs, talking on the phone more than my average, lots of BB Messenger, lots of texting, web browsing, pretty much everything I can do and the battery still has 30% left! The lack of 3G may be a detractor for some, but I feel that it has blessed me with awesome battery life that the competition just can't match. Bravo RIM on making the 8900 have great features and still have great batterylife.

I think you have a lack of 3G data support to thank for that. Also, signal strength has a lot to do with battery life -- power loss searching for signal and increased power needed to transmit to the tower. CDMA EvDO is especially power hungry compared to 1X or GSM/Edge voice and data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Can anyone tell me about the build quality of their CDMA/Sprint Tour?

I've had nothing to complain about my Curve other than paint chipping, whereas the internet says the Tour is creaky, the battery door is loose fitting, the trackball stops working, and the screen likes to bleed out and get oily smudges on the inside.

How about battery life? My curve has the best battery life of any smartphone I've ever used.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Godzilla07 posted:

You're going to have to get the BB data plan if you buy one with a contract from AT&T. You can call AT&T to turn off data on your phone, as I have heard of many people turning data off on their BlackBerrys because they don't want to get charged ridiculous amounts for data that they don't have.

Because of the freedoms of a SIM, I think you might have luck with this. With the SIM still in a your old dumb phone, call in and ask for a data block. Then put the SIM in your blackberry.

However, to buy the blackberry from a corporate location and qualify for any contract rebates, they probably require an active data/blackberry plan, or a plan costing at least $x per month.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Regarding wifi power consumption, I think it depends on whether you're comparing it to 2g or 3g as well as GSM/UMTS or CDMA/EVDO. EvDO in particular is especially power hungry.

Palm is the only manufacturer that has addressed this directly. To increase Pre battery life, they stated to use wifi for data when in range, but to shut off the wifi radio when not in range or actively using it. The difference is, the 3g radio will go dormant when not being called into use.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

belle of my ballz posted:

This might be a stupid question but bear with me.

If I get put on my workplaces BES server can they see EVERYTHING on my phone including texts/facebook/msn messenger?

Keep in mind we are a small outfit with outsourced IT.

My understanding is that, yes, they can see the entire contents of your phone. It's not just limited to BBM and email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Plus Android is by far winning the marketing front. Blackberry commercials lately have been awful.

There was a point when the carriers did all the advertising for them, especially Verizon BOGO. Now, they're desperately advertising their last remaining differentiating feature (outside of enterprise use)--BBM and a large social group of dedicated users. DOO-do-DOOT

• Locked thread