Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

mediaphage posted:

What's the difference between the Tour and the Onyx, aside from CDMA/GSM and Trackball/Touchpad?

Onyx also has wifi and a different keypad I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Pike posted:

I am deciding between a Pre and a Tour on a new Sprint EVDO plan.

Questions:

1. I wish to be alerted of new POP3 email messages as well as new AIM messages as they arrive. Can the Tour do this?

2. Will the data plan cost the same as the Pre's data plan? I don't need to connect to a Blackberry server (as far as I am aware). I just need POP3 email, AIM, and browser internet and maybe SSH.

1. All blackberrys support push email and real multi-tasking so you'll be alerted the second someone IMs you or sends you an email.

2. Probably, most companies have a 'smartphone' data plan price.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Abobo posted:

Anyone know when BeeJive will be out for the Storm? They always go over the expected month. I just want data IMing god damnit.

The official clients use data.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Malleus Maleficarum posted:

This might be stupid.

I have a Blackberry Pearl, purchased last year through Verizon which I understand just merged with Alltel.

Please tell me you've upgraded to 4.5 from 4.3 and have at least a somewhat recent OS on it. 4.5 alone will fix so many issues.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
File explorer.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Godzilla07 posted:

Then what data plan do you have then? web2go?

The Pearl 8120 has the same hardware as the Pearl Flip.

I don't think this is close to true. The flip has 4.6 and I'm pretty sure more memory.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

explosivo posted:

Is there a manager for receiving MMS (kind of like sMMs for WinMo) so I don't have to just click the link to view the picture? 8330 on Sprint, by the way.

This is a sprint-specific problem so probably not, I've never seen one.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

AnimalChin posted:

Haha, me too. And my Pearl has been feeling really slow for the past few months, even without installing tons of garbage and doing regular battery pulls.

Do the bolds and curves and other "big" models have faster processors / more memory than my 8130?

I get to upgrade for free this month.
I assume you're on Verizon based off the 8130 comment, so the Tour will definitely run much smoother overall most likely.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

AnimalChin posted:

Oops. US Cellular.

http://www.uscc.com/uscellular/SilverStream/Pages/b_showphone.html?zip=28403&mkt=607920&tm=0 are my options :(

edit: These options suck. Maybe I'll get an HTC touch pro. :/

The 8220 has twice the memory and faster processor than the 8130. It's a pretty nice phone.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

stanislav posted:

Hi, I have a BB Curve 8310 with GPS functionality. Getting my GPS coordinates is free, but in order to get the corresponding maps I have to use a data plan that fetches them from a web server in real time.

My question is this: is there any way for me to store the maps locally so that I can use the GPS functionality on my blackberry without a data plan, to make it work basically the same way as a standalone GPS unit?

Thanks.

Probably not. Who do you go through that doesn't require a data plan?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mighty Horse posted:

I still hate it though. And really any touchscreen device, including the iPhone, as I don't think its a good enough input method to be the sole one.

This has always been a problem I've expressed, and I wish they'd release the rumored curve-style BB with a touch screen. That would be my perfect phone.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just got a curve 8520 from tmobile; is there an app or something where i can change how my phone alerts me to txt messages? Something where i can change how often the little light blinks, make it stay on, or make it flash the screen on/off if its on vibrate/silent etc.

Why would you choose the curve 8520 over an 8900??

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Definitely switch out for the 8900. It's a much better phone and will last you much longer. Auto-focusing camera and much nicer screen too.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I would kill for threaded SMS on my 8520 :(

I don't see how it could be so hard to integrate into 4.5 too. It doesn't seem like it's that complicated.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

8520 is getting 5.0, it just doesent have any leaked builds of 5.0 yet since its so new.

Shut up, some of us are stuck with 8120 until next May.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Your blackberry will autoconvert the picture to within the mms size limit, so it's not from that. That's very odd.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Anybody else know whats going on with this? :(

Your phone's hosed up, take it back and get it replaced if you just got it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Couldn't you set up reoccuring calendar events?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Godzilla07 posted:

Onyx press image for T-Mobile! The promised land of 3G is almost here!

Does T-Mobile offer a 22 month full discount renewal discount? Or is it the full 24 months? Because I cannot wait to get this phone.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Godzilla07 posted:

You're able to upgrade at 22 months if you signed a 2-year for your 8320.

Thanks... I have an 8120 but same difference. Only 6 more months in that case, enough time for T-Mobile to get it's 3G network in Erie here supposedly (they say Q4 of this year, who knows if that's accurate.)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Sorry but I'm starting to get confused with the model names. Is the Onyx the GSM version of the Tour, (with trackpad and Wifi) or is it Bold-sized?

It's bold sized (I think) with 3G, GPS, Wifi, touchpad, and a 3.2 megapixel camera.

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 10, 2009

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Now that the bugs are worked out, the Tour is a MUCH better phone and the 8300 series is quite dated.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ButtonyQuotient posted:

Okay, wait. Maybe I'm missing something; Curves already have threaded messaging, right? I can see both sides of my convo with someone, dating back to whenever that particular one started.

EDIT; I guess most importantly to this post, I'm constantly upgrading my Curve. I dunno about 5.0, but they've been just as updated as the newer phones so far.

The curve is not as updated as the new phones, some of which are on 4.6 and 4.7. Threaded messaging makes your messages all appear as one entry from someone, and it shows all your old ones. Your curve shows up to a preset number previous (there is an option to change it to more, but it slows down a lot,) but it's not as nice as the real threaded texting. Plus improved browser and other functions in the new OSes.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
SocialScope Lite is the answer for everything twitter. Anyone know when they're gonna release it out of beta?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The tour's got better specs than the Bold, and is slightly smaller, so it depends on which one you like better in your hands. Google Voice allows you to text via data essentially, but it will be from a different number.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Why not keep it as mp3?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Godzilla07 posted:

Not soon but the Essex is the upgraded Tour with Wi-Fi and the trackpad. There's no other changes except for that. There may be an improved camera. The Essex will probably come out sometime in the first half of next year. You'll be fine upgrading to the Tour right now.

The essex is gonna have an upgraded camera, and most likely liquid lens technology.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I actually would have got the pearl over my curve, but i hated the fact that they stopped updating the OS.

They didn't? The pearl is on the same applications version as the curve.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

veril posted:

Says who?
Edit - to expand, I think 5.0 is coming for all devices that currently have 4.5. There have already been leaks of 5.0 for the 8330 (Curve) and 8130 (Pearl)

There is definitely no Pearl 5.0. Even 8330 with 5.0 has memory issues and leaks. I would be surprised if it ever came out other than a leak.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I broke my pearl too! Except my 8120 refuses to load a new OS. It has a 507 error, and every attempt to reload the OS starts to rewrite the cod files and then throws an error. Every single FAQ with a different trick or method doesn't work. I think the USB port doesn't work quite right. But I know I upgraded the OS before at least once or twice on this unit. So I am getting a new phone off crackberry's marketplace, because I've given up on this one.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
It should work as long as you use the wifi browser. I didn't have BIS when I very first got my Pearl ages ago and the wifi worked as long as it was the wifi browser.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
JL_Cmder takes screen shots too, just be careful not to wipe your BB by accident.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Gimik posted:

I've been wanting to add this to my work email sig. is there any way to do it besides a screenshot of the BB? Is there a way to export my personal barcode?

There is, it's an option in there somewhere. I remember posting mine here when the BBM5.0 leak was the big deal.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

explosivo posted:

Are there any really good themes out there that I don't know about? I've been using the default one since I got my phone just because I never really found anything too great.

What kind of BB do you have?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

explosivo posted:

There are loads on the Crackberry forums. I use http://www.thezman.us/bold-storm-replicas/ (The bold replica theme) on my 8310 because I like the precision icons more than anyone else's custom theme has managed to do, and most custom themes seem to have garbage layouts at the top.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

explosivo posted:

It worked, but I could only scroll through the icons by moving up and down. It was pretty awkward.

That's why I just stick with the Bold one. The icons seem to look the best and it just works. Plus 6 icons on the main screen are plenty for stuff I use that frequently and that shows notifications.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The Driftwood is a totally different phone. The Onyx is the codename for the Bold 2 9700. AT&T and T-Mobile use different 3G bands and they will only work on EDGE on each other's networks.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Fecotourist posted:

What kind of file format is the BB Tour expecting to see in the ringtones folder on the SD card? I thought I read it could use mp3, but no success so far. Maybe there's a particular bitrate setting or something?

What's the best way to deal with that Aeson song that undeletes itself at every battery pull? I'd like to be able to shuffle songs without being subjected to world music.

Ringtones are supported in a few formats, mp3s should work fine. I have a bunch on my /ringtones/ folder on my SD card.

BoyBlunder posted:

DTM 5.0.1 was just released today and is win7 compatible :woop:

DTM 5 worked just fine for me in Win 7 *shrug*.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

BizarroBrian posted:

Hey guys, I'm on Verizon and need to order a new Blackberry for work. Would you guys recommend I get the Storm 2, Tour, or wait until the Curve 2 gets released?

I think the Tour is the best, the curve 2 isn't nearly as good as the Tour hardware wise. I'm not a fan of the Storm at all.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Web Jew.0 posted:

actually i found it http://www.blackberryforums.com/blackberry-network/98136-howto-use-blackberry-generic-non-blackberry-data-plan.html

just can't use blackberry browser/mail. not sure about messenger

Messenger, just like browser and email, all goes through RIMs servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The curve uses mini USB. Unless you mean the Curve 85xx or 89xx.

• Locked thread