Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Dr Abobo posted:

Anyone know when BeeJive will be out for the Storm? They always go over the expected month. I just want data IMing god damnit.

Look here, friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

flashman posted:

I'm glad that the issue was more widespread as I had spent a ton of time trying to fix it. Installing Beejive and using it still worked when WLM wouldn't though. Not sure if it was because of impeccable coincidental timing or Beejive just connected in a different way than Windows live Messenger because if it's the latter I could see it being worth 15 dollars.

Beejive went down for me, oddly. So did my web browsing. Of course, I'm on a Storm Classic, so god only knows what voodoo it does to connect to RIM's servers.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Praesil posted:

My corporate IT folks just added a new policy - no downloading 3rd party apps. :(

I've found multiple ways of removing the IT policy, but this requires wiping the device and the IT policy, loading it with a blank one, using this unprotected mode to install apps, then having my corporate IT folks re-auth the phone with a new IT policy, resetting it back to normal.

Is there a way to back-up the IT policy so that after a wipe, I can restore it by myself and re-connect to the network?

I've never heard of a way around this. Generally, if you're on the BES, you're also on the security policy.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Any rumours of new touchscreen BBs? Maybe with a slide-out keyboard...?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
What a weird coincidence!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Unless you're the administrator of a BES that he belongs to, nope.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Craptacular! posted:

Wait for the 9800 slider phone.

Slider with touchscreen.

And a trackpad.

It's gonna be sweet.

Also, it'll have a lot of onboard memory for apps!

And everytime you press a button, you get CANDY!

OH GOD RIM WHY DO YOU HURT ME LIKE THAT

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Ever since I upgraded Facebook to 1.8, I'm not getting incoming Facebook emails translated into Facebook notifications. Any thoughts?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Facebook 1.8 includes the ability to use the BB push API instead of using emails from facebook that get translated into notifications. Poke around in the options and see if you accidentally disabled the facebook notifications.

What phone/OS are you running?
Don't laugh, please! It's a Storm 1, OS 5.0.0.797

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

sethsez posted:

Yeah, Beejive is fantastic and one of the only programs on the Blackberry actually worth paying for. He might be thinking of Palringo, which I definitely remember being buggy and ugly.

The problem is that BeeJive hasn't updated their BlackBerry app in months now, and there are still some bugs that need adressing.

Also... I still like my Storm 1.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Haters gonna hate.

Torch it up, man!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

ynotony posted:

I'm having fun for sure!

Stop enjoying your BlackBerry! This is the BlackBerry thread!

Still hoping we get our Torch upgrades soon. My Storm battery is about ready to give up the ghost.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

burnsep posted:

This is an interesting topic. How can one track running processes and terminate redundant or unnecessary instances? I assume they have a lot of impact on battery life.

There's an updated app in the Web App Store that's not showing the update for the OTA App Store. ANyone ever run into this?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Oodles posted:

There's only four of us, mostly John bitching about his job & the snow
I'll join once my new Torch comes in - sometime before the end of the month!
I am very excited.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Got my Torch and I'm loving it. Huge step up from the Storm 1!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Does anyone have the goonberry barcode?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Godzilla07 posted:

When you're coming from that turd, anything seems like a step-up. The 8700 that sits in my desk drawer would be a better phone.

Don't hold back, dude. Tell us how you really feel!

My office got the Storm when it was first released. I never had the problems everybody else compains about. It was realtively fast, stable, and I actually liked the SurePress screen. (So much so that I find I'm missing it on the Torch!)

Still, the benefits of the Torch are great. Physical slide-out keyboard, 10x the app memory, and OS6? I could never go back now.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Dirty Job posted:

For whatever reason, my blackberry torch is having a few odd errors. First, sometimes when I press the screen it presses something below whatever it is I'm trying to press. Fiddling around with it seems to fix, but it sucks when it happens while I'm trying to type something out.

Second, the alt-lock on the touch keyboard doesn't work anymore. It was working fine many 2 or 3 days ago, then suddenly it stopped working entirely. Now I need to press alt whenever I want to type in a number or symbol, which sucks for me since I'm constantly communicating with people in math or numbers for my major.

Third, the option to "remove the language key" under keyboard options doesn't seem to do anything. I've pressed it, saved my settings, and yet my keyboard is still haunted by that obnoxious language key.

Anyone have any suggestions for these problems, or have experienced something similar?

Hm. What OS patch are you on? The latest official release available is 6.0.0.337
However, I can confirm your findings for the language button. I work in French and English, so I actually use it, but after trying, I can't get rid of it either.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Moey posted:

I don't have time to scan through this thread to see if this has been asked before, but are there any BES admins in here?

I have a user with a newer Blackberry Torch. I set them up on our BESx, and everything was working great. Randomly (or so it seems) the two way email reconciliation does not work properly. An item deleted from Outlook, will not delete from the hand held. Two way reconciliation is setup properly on the hand held. No settings on the BESx have changed. I'm stumped.

Things I have tried so far to fix it:

-Resending service books
-Regenerating encryption key
-Re-activating device

Nothing seems to be fixing it. My next step would be a full wipe, delete their account on BESx, and start from the beginning. I would like to avoid this if possible.

Any suggestions?

I'd skip the full wipe, and just go with deleting/rectivating their BES account. This has fixed so many of these one-off problems for me that it's my go-to solution. Of course, they stillahve to sit there and wait a half-hour for the Enterprise Actiation to go through, but eh. Minor problem in the end.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Do we talk about the PlayBook in here, or in another thread?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Scaramouche posted:

Really? Every forum page for me on my bold in default browser has been 'this page is too large I am going to crash now'. I had to switch to bolt to even load the forums.

Are you on a BES? Because there's a setting BES admins can change in the internet policy that restricts "large pages" from loading.

If you're not on a BES, then I have no clue what might be going on.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Scaramouche posted:

I am on BESx, but I'm the Admin and I didn't ever set such a policy. I'm at home now and can't be arsed to log into check, do you know if it's applied by default?

Yeah, there's a deafult. I found this BES KB article that should help:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB17318

quote:

BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0

Open the BlackBerry Administration web site.
On the left pane, under BlackBerry Solution topology, expand the BlackBerry Domain menu.
Under the Component View, expand the MDS Connection Service, and then click the name of the MDS-CS service.
On the right pane, click General.
In the General section, select Edit Instances at the bottom of the page.
Change the Maximum data amount permitted per connection (KB) field from the default of 1024kb to a value greater than the size of the page that is being requested.
At the bottom of the page, click Save all.
Restart the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service to enable the settings to take effect.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
...And now I'm having an issue where I can't update one of my apps. BeBuzz has an update, but every time I try to grab it from App World, it tells me that the app "is not available for download from BlackBerry App World".

Oddly enough, I was able to update other apps (Weather Eye) just fine. I've tried updating App World and running battery pulls, but no luck.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Crap. Our company PlayBook looks like it's dead. It won't recharge; hitting the power button gives a solid red LED followed by 5 yellow LED flashes. Everything I can find online tells me that if a hard reboot doesn't fix it, nothing I can do to it will. :(

Guess we're going back to Best Buy for an exchange.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Yuns posted:

Are you using the included charger or the magnetic rapid charger? 3rd party chargers generally don't draw enough current and computer usb ports definitely don't.

This is the kb article.
http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/dynamickc.do?externalId=KB26708&sliceID=1&command=show&forward=nonthreadedKC&kcId=KB26708

Some people have reported being units being unable to recharge even with the charger and having to exchange it but haven't heard about one of those since around launch.

The included (wall) charger. This was a launch unit, and I suspect it's the first time any one of us has allowed the battery to drain to nothing.

Other than this (rather large) blip, I've loved the damned thing. Bezel gestures are the best thing ever. I found it to have a much more intuitive interface than the iPad. I still haven't played with any Android tablests, so I can't comment on that, but if and when the app amount/availability situation improves, I'd call it a clear winner over Apple's product.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Coldforge posted:

Did you update the OS to 1.0.5 or higher? Before that, Playbooks were unable to charge when the power is off, meaning if you let the charge fall to 0%, they were a brick. 1.0.5+ solved that, thankfully.

Probably not. The last OS install that I know happened for sure was the Facebook/BBM/Video Chat upgrade. Then the sales team got a hold of it whaile I went on a 3-week business trip.

We RMA'd it yesterday. They told us it'll take about 5-7 days (NOT business days, which surprised us!) for the replacement to come in.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Got the PlayBook back from the RMA - brand new one, too. RIM had a great turnaround time on this. Now, to convince the rest of the office that I'm the one that needs to hang onto it for "work purposes"...

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Spatule posted:

Apparently the alarm not going off is a common problem on nearly all BBs. How in God's name are those assholes still in business ?
Are there reliable alarm clocks for BB ?

First I hear about this. Mine goes off like, well, clockwork. I've never even heard anecdotal evidence about this problem 'til you mentioned it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

hog wizard posted:

2. "The page you requested could not be loaded; it is too large for the device." gently caress you.

Are you on a BES? Your admin should be able to increase the maximum pagesize for you.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Scaramouche posted:

I think it depends on the BES settings, but probably not. BES is central to all of the enterprise security stuff on the blackberry, so circumventing the proxy set up probably isn't a good idea. I bet you could probably do it if the admin didn't set up his policies properly, but it would only last until he pushed a new policy/refreshed service books. JohnnyCanuck might know better, since he actually runs a real BES instead of a little 25 user BESx like me.
Sigh, memories. We dropped down to BESx ourselves - and we're a 15-person shop. If I'm reading the question right, you were looking for proxy info on a NON-BES Torch, right? I'm looking into that for you now - one of my colleagues has a personal Torch that's not on the BES. I'll ask to borrow it for a bit and poke at it until I find a solution.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Spatule, have you ever wondered that you just might not be compatible with, well, any technology whatsoever?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I love the Kobo app, especially here in Canadia. I imagine I'd rather it be a Kindle app if I lived in the States, but... :)

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
You guys see the BlackBerry London mock-up? drat, that's sexy.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

helsabot posted:

I have the option at work to upgrade to either the newest Bold or Torch. I'm thinking the bigger screen on the Torch would be nice, but it's the same res as the Bold, and the bold overall looks nicer to me. Has anyone used both or have an opinion one way or the other?

The Bold (9900, I imagine?) has a great physical keyboard, a nice touchscreen, and is generally a better phone for dong a lot of messaging with. Plus, you can't deny that it's a fuckin' sexy beast of a phone.

If you plan on doing more browsing and video-playing, go with the Torch, though.

Note that either way, you'll want the very latest OS releases to deal with some issues that the launch OSes have.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Shroomie posted:

Looks like I'm stuck on a 9800 for the next few months. My Android phone got lost/stolen Friday night, and this was the best replacement I could come up with.

Are the touchscreens on these always complete poo poo, or is it because the one on this phone has been replaced?

What OS version are you on? Touchscreen responsiveness was bad for a bit, and then got a whole lot better.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

joebuddah posted:

I picked up a curve 8900 because my focus died. Is there anyway to speed up the internet it seems to crawl even though it says 3g it feels like 28.8 bps

Try grabbing Opera Mini instead of using the base browser. Also, what OS are you on?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'd call RIM support yesterday for this issue. Looks like Verizon pushed out an update that they didn't fully test.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Huge infodump of BB10 reveals today.

They only make me want it more. Hurry up, 2013!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

big mean giraffe posted:

I'd ditch Android too if I had to use that piece of poo poo phone. My mom has one, and it's garbage and slow. So it's pretty much just like a Blackberry :v:

Dude, seriously: have you seen any of the BB10 releases? It looks like an incredible OS. I know RIM killed your dog and shat in your mailbox a while ago, but it's time to give up on the hate.

And feel the love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

bull3964 posted:

The problem is, BB10 may as well be vaporware at this point as far as consumers are concerned.

BB has been losing marketshare by nearly 3 percent per quarter for the past year. That puts them at effectively ZERO marketshare by the time BB10 gets released. When corporate users shed themselves of blackberry, they also shed themselves of the infrastructure to support blackberry and they aren't about to go spinning up brandy new BES servers once BB10 FINALLY decides to see the light of day.

BB10 can be the best drat smartphone OS in the world and it's not going to make a lick of difference in the long run. RIM is the new Palm at this point. Too late the party and everyone else has already paired up and gone home.

That's US marketshare only. World-wide they still have better numbers.

• Locked thread