Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Can anyone tell my why my wife's Blackberry Curve (ATT branded, but unlocked and using a T-Mobile sim) isn't charging anymore? I have two genuine Blackberry wall chargers, and they both charge my Bold fine, but her Curve isn't charging on either one. Here's the strange part, her Curve charges just fine when plugged into my desktop via USB cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

I'm having a problem with my Bold. I used to have a data plan, and when I did WiFi worked fine. Now, I don't have a BB data plan, and I'm trying to use WiFi, but the WiFi logo is grayed out, and instead of a green check mark next to the WiFi selection, there's a "-" instead. I've got the WEP correct, and the SSID as well. I've tried adding the Bold's MAC address to the Linksys wireless router, that didn't healp either. I've changed the browser to Hotspot, and I've deleted and re-sent/registered the WiFi service book, nothing has helped. Data services are ON.

Does anyone have any ideas?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

guppy posted:

This is a long shot, but you've pulled the battery, right?

Yes pulled the battery multiple times, no luck.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

So the other day I take my phone out of my it's belt holster, and find this

Great. The phone (Bold) has not been dropped or the screen hit or pressed on hard in any way, and the LCD is shot. I call AT&T warranty and they send me a refurbished Bold, but not after I pay $12 to have it in 2 days, I used it a lot for work and school, and I couldn't use it at all with the screen like that.

Yesterday my replacement comes, I get everything out of the box, restore it with Desktop Manager, and it's good to go, I leave it charging on my desk and go watch a movie with my wife. We come back in to go to bed, and I go to set the alarm on the phone, and find this

loving unbelievable. So now I have to go through all that poo poo all over again, to get another refurbished phone that may or may not work.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Can anyone tell me how the Blackberry Desktop Manager automatic backup works? I've set it to automatically back up the phone every 1 day, but does this happen at a specific time, or is it just when I plug it in every night to charge? Will it prompt me to do anything or will it just automatically do it??

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

I have a large amount of 480x320 wallpapers for my Bold 9000, would anyone want me to zip them and post them up here?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Looks like it might not be just your gf who is having this problem:

http://crackberry.com/facebook-streams-not-refreshing-blackberry-users

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Spatule posted:

Since a few days, my 8900 loses 30% of battery per night, in sleep mode (all radios/coms off). I removed the battery, no dice. There is nothing special running. Any idea ?

Backup your address book/calendar, and wipe and restore the OS. Then go from there. Do you have a lot of applications installed/running?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

That policy is so loving bullshit, I hope the FCC eventually does something about it.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Radio Nowhere posted:

Some people think they can have the phone and use the data part on Wifi saving that $30 a month.

While some people do think that, I am not one of them, I understand that unfortunately you can't use WiFi for pretty much anything on a phone besides browsing the internet.

big mean giraffe posted:

No it really isn't and they can't.

Requiring a consumer to purchase a data plan when buying certain phones isn't bullshit, and is a great idea? What if I want to use my Blackberry without a data plan? Explain.

Shnooks posted:

Why would you get a phone like a Blackberry and NOT get a data plan?

Get a regular phone then...

Because I like how Blackberries are setup, they're very useful to organize everything, and regular phones loving blow and don't have qwerty keyboards.

It's a matter of choice. If you don't want an optional feature, you're handcuffed to getting certain shitass phones.

Edit: Every AT&T or T-Mobile store I've gone into has said that I needed a data plan with a Blackberry, even if I DID pay full retail for the phone.

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 9, 2010

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Can anyone tell me if I would run into any problems using an unlocked Tour 9630 on AT&T? It was previously on Verizon, but has been unlocked, and has a SIM slot, so I'm assuming calls/texts would work, but will data work with either AT&T or T-Mobile? Would I have any other problems or will it be seamless?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Steve Moore posted:

So I was out one night a few weeks ago with my Tour and I saw that this had happened to my screen. The only thing I can think of that happened to it is that I sat on it, despite being in a leather BB Curve holster:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

As you can see, the left half of the display is lighter, and the bottom third is completely distorted. If I press on the bottom right corner of the screen itself (which isn't cracked!) then the whole screen distorts in a similar fashion. Sometimes it makes a clicking noise when I do that, too.

I'm guessing the answer is no, but I figure it can't hurt to ask: is there any cheap/easy fix for this?

I have had this happen to numerous Bold 9000s and Curve 8900s. If you're out of warranty, you can purchase a replacement LCD for around ~$40 (eBay) and do ti yourself following YouTube videos (quite easy), just make sure you get the correct LCD, as there are a few different model numbers.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

It's a dumbphone with great email capabilities. It's safe and in their comfort zone, but they think it's a smartphone.

I've been using a MyTouch 3G for a few weeks...and I'm going back to a Blackberry.

INSANITY YOU SAY!

Android is awesome, the possibilities with that OS are incredible, and I really, REALLY liked it.

But, the hardware sucked. Second generation Android hardware, it was just too slow and laggy. I kept the stock 1.6 ROM on it, and purposefully did not mess with it, as I did not want stability problems, and I did NOT load it up with apps, downloaded maybe 7 or 8.

The keyboard could not ever keep up with my button presses, and made typing emails and SMS messages a total pain in the rear end. It got to the point where I would just wait to get back to my computer at work to use Outlook to send email or Google Voice on the computer to send texts. It seemed every application when left open for more than 5 minutes cause a Force Close on exit (especially the native Music app, and Google Maps +Nav), and I would have to wait a minute or two for everything to come back online. Home Launcher crashed I don't know how many times a day. Battery was pretty awful as well. Overall, I was pretty underwhelmed with the thing.

Now, a lot of you would tell me to root the phone, and I thought about it. But ultimately, why should I have to root a device in order to get it to function correctly? It should be usable and stable right out of the box. It wasn't like I was trying to do anything insane with it, or downloading 100+ apps.

That being said, I will be back on Android in the near future, when I can afford something out of this generation of devices, with at least a Snapdragon or an Arm A8 proc, and a shitload of system RAM. I have no doubt that Android runs smooth on much more advance hardware, but I had thought that at least it would be usable on last-gen stuff.

Nice to be back on a Blackberry. Reliable, GPS/WiFi and navigation/maps, as well as stability and good battery life. I do miss the "new hotness," feel of the MyTouch, but not at the sacrifice of usability.

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 13, 2010

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Is there any way to get the stock BlackBerry alert tones or ringtones off of the phone? I'm so used to the sounds that I want to use them on my other phones, but I can't seem to find anywhere online that talks about this.

Edit: Specifically the BBM tones

Update: Found a .zip with all of them, awesome!

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 24, 2010

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

There is a small sticky button-pad below the trackball, usually square or round, that causes the contact and the "click," you feel. I've seen these poo poo out, and have to be replaced. Good thing is they're easy to replace, and cheap as hell, a few $ on eBay will get you a sheet of them. It will feel good as new after.

Edit: something like this http://bit.ly/appLQr

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

VibrioCholera posted:

Thanks! They SEEM to be soldered on though? I'm not sure. I just tried using an older Curve fix (they used to be just stickied on there) and it was resistant. I broke the head off one of the screws too so I guess I'll buy both things while I'm at it.

Should just be stuck on with some light adhesive. The new ones are kind of annoying to get on, as they're covered on one side in adhesive and small as hell, so it's always getting stuck on fingers.

Also, these case screws are notoriously fragile, even a small amount of over-torquing will shred them. If you do this, get a small pair of vice grips and you can easily back them out.

• Locked thread