Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Diafthora posted:

Telenav: Audible turn by turn GPS navigation. Best navigation app for the Blackberry, hands down. If you're on AT&T/Sprint, its simply AT&T Navigator or Sprint Navigator. Its $9.99/mo, but their site has other options as well. I travel a lot and I probably use this more than anything else. Definitely worth the price if you want true GPS on your phone. First 30 days are free.

Also want to throw in that the Verizon VZNavigator is pretty much the same deal (not sure about live traffic), and it's a feature that's prorated. That is, if you only use it for a day then cancel it, you only get charged $0.33.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Like others have mentioned, the App World selection is tiny compared to the App Store, but arguably a lot of stuff that's missing is "fluff". To add to that, here's what the categories list of the App World shows right now:

Entertainment (107)
Games (422)
Maps & Navigation (19)
Music & Video (40)
News & Weather (40)
Personal Finance & Banking (34)
Productivity & Utilities (280)
Professional & Business (82)
Reference & eBooks (128)
Social Networking & Sharing (46)
Sports & Recreation (59)
Travel (67)

Most of the App Store "standards" seem to be available on the App World. Pandora (and other streamers), Beejive (w/30 day trial), Palingro, and everyone's dedicated IM apps, the weather apps, social networking stuff (Facebook came preloaded on my wife's Curve), etc. As a side note, there pretty much is no such thing as a 99-cent BB app.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Greve posted:

I know this is a dumb question, but I would like to make sure anyway. When you surf the internet or use email on a blackberry, there is no minute usage, correct? Also, I got the Verizon $30 Blackberry Email & Date plan, is this everything I need for internet as well? Am I going to get any hidden fees by doing anything accidentally?

Correct. Yes. No (although "doing anything accidentally" is pretty broad).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

kliksf posted:

Lately I've noticed my 8330 curve starts responding really slow. Like I'll roll the pearl over to an app I want to use and it just sits there for a few seconds then it moves. This wouldn't bother me too much but it even happens when I'm trying to answer the phone. The phone rings, I click the green button to answer the phone and it takes up to six seconds to actually register that I clicked the answer button. The only apps I've downloaded and use are the Facebook app and the BuzzMe app. I pretty much don't use it for much else than as a phone and camera and occasional mobile facebook photo uploader. Depending on how fast I'm able to get to the phone, the delay from the time I click answer to the time the voicemail kicks in has actually caused me to miss a couple calls. I've tried turning it off and turning it on, that doesn't work and I've tried removing the battery and plugging it back in and that seems to help for a day or two but then it's back to lagging on everything I do. Is this common or do people know a simple fix for this?

Do you save your pictures to the main memory or a media card?
How much free memory does the device show?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

kliksf posted:

file free: 36091088 bytes

I save my pictures to wherever they started saving to it's called My Pictures and it's where the last picture I saved went. But there's another folder called device memory and there's pictures in there too. Should I delete those?

36 Mb seems ok. It's about what my wife's Curve has free.

e: The only pictures my wife keeps in Device memory are the ones associated with contacts.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Alfalfa posted:

Has anyone actually been able to get a Tour yet? I have been trying to exchange my Pre but they are on backorder since basically the first day.

I'm going to have to get notes put on the account blah blah blah because my 30 day exchange period is going to be up before they get any in stock. :(

Yeah, I got one last Tuesday. The retailer got six in, and I got the fifth one an hour after delivery. He got 10 more in Thursday, and they were all gone by Friday. Now he says they're on backorder, doesn't know when the next batch will arrive.

Unfortunately, I've got the "screen ripples when you touch the trim on the sides or the four big buttons or trackball" problem, so I'm hoping they get more in before my trial period is over.

(Other than the screen problem, it's a very nice phone).

e: oh, poo poo, just saw the "exchange my Pre" thing. Mine is Verizon.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Spatule posted:

My provider is currently selling 10 blackberry models, there is absolutely no indication of what is newer / better, and the comparison tool on their website can compare 3 phones or something, whatever.

Which provider is this, out of curiosity? Out of the big four US carriers, the largest total I see for any carrier is six (disregarding color options).

ATT: Pearl, Curve, World Phone, Bold, Old Curve (8310), Old Curve (8320).
VZW: Pearl, Curve, World Phone, Storm, Old World Phone, 8703e.
TMO: Pearl, Curve, World Phone, Pearl Flip, 8700g.
SPR: Pearl, Curve, World Phone, Nextel BB, Old World Phone.

I may be wrong, but I would expect the italicized models to drop off the market soon, leaving each carrier with four models, (one of which will probably at any time have an "old" and "current" version available, making five total) which is what sleepwalkers suggested.

I do agree having more than two models of basically the same phone (e.g. Curve 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330) among different carriers is probably unnecessary, and making just one CDMA model and one GSM model would be an improvement.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Godzilla07 posted:

This list is incorrect.
Your list is nearly the same as mine, if you substitute the 88x0's for GSM "World Phone" and CDMA "Old World Phone", and substitute the Tour for the CDMA "World Phone". TMO's web site looks like it only shows one model of Curve (I can't tell what the model number is), and as you mentioned Verizon offers the flip as its only Pearl.

My main point with that was to show that it appears that the major US carriers seem to carry a Pearl, a Curve, a World phone, some other phone, and then one or two (probably?) soon-to-be-obsolete phones. So I'm guessing the provider that offers ten is not in the US?

It's good to see that Verizon and Sprint have the same model number for the Tour, and since they both announced that their future BBs will all have Wifi, hopefully that will help streamline things on the CDMA side.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Gibby 117 posted:

I can get the desktop manger to regonize my phone. I have tried re-installing it and hard reseting my phone.

I am on vista. Any tips?
Did you download the latest version of BB DM from Blackberry's site? It's been updated since the Tour came out. Also, I hear the first batch of Tours were shipped out with bad DM discs -- not sure if they've fixed that yet.

If that doesn't work, try running DM in XP compatibility mode.

Unrelated, in case anyone is thinking of getting one, I just got my Bestskinsever skin for my Tour.

The full body skin is 15 separate pieces. :psyduck:

This might take a while.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

AnimalChin posted:

Haha, me too. And my Pearl has been feeling really slow for the past few months, even without installing tons of garbage and doing regular battery pulls.

Do the bolds and curves and other "big" models have faster processors / more memory than my 8130?

I get to upgrade for free this month.

Can't help you with processor speed, but all of them except the 83xx Curves have more memory than a Pearl.

There's a kind of cool comparison tool on the https://www.blackberry.com site. Choose Smartphones, then click "Compare Blackberry Smartphones" in the upper-ish right. Most information is available, but there are a few blanks.

p.s. Got nine pieces of my skin on. Think I'll forget about the rest (since the parts they cover are rubbery already). While I've loved BSE's for years, on this one I think I would recommend passing. It's not cut very accurately (the screen protector piece is dead on, though).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Check the Crackberry Tour section. There's a thread there where people have bought and tried some bbplay themes. Thread may tell you which ones actually work.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
By the way, the Plazmic Theme Builder software was updated Wednesday night to support the Tour (9630). Free themes (and paid ones) are starting to pop up now.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

strangefool posted:

The only real advantage to the touch screen that I have noticed is screen real estate. And this is only important if you are really into watching videos on your phone, or for games that take advantage of it...

Or you're doing something that involves scrolling through fairly long lists. Or something where it would be handy to see a lot of text at once.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Godzilla07 posted:

Onyx press image for T-Mobile! The promised land of 3G is almost here!

Sorry but I'm starting to get confused with the model names. Is the Onyx the GSM version of the Tour, (with trackpad and Wifi) or is it Bold-sized?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

goku chewbacca posted:

Can anyone tell me about the build quality of their CDMA/Sprint Tour?

I've had nothing to complain about my Curve other than paint chipping, whereas the internet says the Tour is creaky, the battery door is loose fitting, the trackball stops working, and the screen likes to bleed out and get oily smudges on the inside.

How about battery life? My curve has the best battery life of any smartphone I've ever used.

Would a Verizon Tour do?

Short version: some of the early devices had problems, but RIM seems to have fixed that, and they've been giving out replacements with no or little hassle. Battery life for me is great (I charge every two or three days), but possibly not as great as my wife's Curve -- hard to tell, because I do more BT/streaming stuff than she does.

Long version: I bought one a day or two after it was released, and it had two minor problems -- the battery door was loose (easily fixed with a piece of Scotch tape), and the screen "rippled" if you held it by the sides (no big deal) or when you pressed the large buttons (bigger deal). Functionally, it was great. Never pulled the battery intentionally or had any crashes or lagging. Unfortunately, after about a month, the trackball started dying, and it got worse over time. Eventually, getting it to move to the right was hit-or-miss, so I went back to the store and the manager had Verizon FedEx me a new phone (this was about a week ago). No problems with the exchange, RIM has acknowledged that early production batches had some problems with the trackball.

My new phone is solid as hell. The trackball works perfectly, and seems like it's seated a bit higher than the first one. Nothing on the phone is loose. The screen rippling when pressing the main buttons is gone, although it does still ripple a little bit but only if I press on the top bezel on the sides of the screen (not the sides of the phone itself). In short, other than the rippling thing (which only happens when I specifically try to make it happen) the new phone seems flawless.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
From what I understand (i.e. this could be wrong, but I don't think so), the Curve is nearing the end of its life-cycle and the operating system won't be upgradeable to version 5, which has a few perks (such as threaded messaging). If your lady friend is planning on keeping this phone for multiple years, that could be a consideration.

Also, I'm not sure if this will help her decide, but right now all Verizon Blackberries are BOGO* (or, in the case of a Tour, you can also get a HP Mini netbook for free*) right now.

* Assuming, of course, that you sign a 2-year contract for both devices.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I'm not sure about 5.0 coming to the Curve 83x0. Some people claim it'll be released for all devices, some say "for those on 4.6 and 4.7", such as in the article linked below.

As far as threaded messaging, I know BBM is threaded. I don't use SMS much but it doesn't look like that's threaded (could just be my settings). A lot of people seem to be excited about threaded messaging for SMS and MMS coming to Blackberries, so I figured it was new.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

spog posted:

It's enchanced audio - e.g. boost/treble boost.

To be more specific, that's treble boost.

Treble boost will give the / line, bass boost will show a \ line.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I don't use the AIM app, but my Tour's battery life is slightly better than my wife's Curve 8330. I charge it on average every other day, and I'd say I average 90 minutes a day of internet radio streaming, in addition to other phone functions.

Except for the situation where I'm right at the edge of a data coverage area (for me, that means deep inside a steel and concrete building). Then my Tour's battery drops like a rock, unlike my wife's Curve.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Have you ever used the iphones browser?

This is the key statement. The Safari browser on iPhones/Touches makes every other mobile browser seem ancient and kludgy.

(Personally, I'm not too impressed with the Android browser -- it's pretty, but not nearly as functional as the Safari browser. Maybe it was because I've only used it on a Motorola Droid, which doesn't have pinch-zoom).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
"main screen with appointments and unread emails" sounds to me like a "Today" theme?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ButtonyQuotient posted:

I've just realized something new (and not all that great) about my Tour. Does anyone else have the problem that, when they open email, the text is huge? And I mean, huge. I don't know how the hell that works. My font isn't sent to be huge, and I don't know how to change it. I didn't set it to be huge, promise!

It didn't do this when I first got the phone, either. Weird. Anyone have this happen?

It's a known problem with HTML email, particularly (exclusively?) with Gmail.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah, most of my services seem to work, but no dice with Google Sync for the last few hours. Good thing I updated a couple dozen contacts through my computer earlier today :(

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

big mean giraffe posted:

Android's a much better alternative for BB users than an iPhone.

Personally, I agree, but did you quote the wrong post?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Godzilla07 posted:

It's definitely worth it. You get a lot more RAM (256 MB vs. 96 MB on the 8330), OS 5.0 which is a nice step up from 4.5 visually and in features, plus the trackpad. The one outstanding feature I can think of in 5.0 is threaded SMS.

But on the other hand, you still get the low-res screen, and something that irks me a lot (but probably isn't a big deal for others) the new Curve doesn't have the charging contacts on the back -- no charging dock for you.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

nerdrum posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875999387

They're on sale for $9.99 with $2.99 shipping, it makes this poo poo the perfect alarm clock in the morning.

There are also a ton of charging docks available through Amazon, in the $6-$10 range, for a lot of different models of BB. (For info, you need to plug an AC adapter cord into the dock. You got one with the phone, so if you want two docks, buy another charging cord).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

005060524 posted:

I was wondering if anyone had an app recommendation for streaming radio that could get this radio station to work for my Storm 1. I have tried Nobex Radio Companion, Slacker Radio, and Iheartradio, and only Nobex can get the station to show up, but it is listed as unplayable. I've read that Iphone users have an app called Fstream that works, but that doesn't really help me. This FAQ Recommends accessing the direct stream through my browser, but when I visit the link on my Storm the media player just keeps loading and loading and no sound comes out. What am I doing wrong? Is there some way I can get this radio station streaming onto my Storm?

Flycast (free) and WunderRadio (10 bux) seem to play KNBR 680.

e: and I think that your browser can't play it because it's an .asx file on their website.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 19, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

sm8000 posted:

I don't get the hate for that prototype's aesthetics. Nice big touchscreen, touchpad, slide out QWERTY board, and a more slick, streamlined look. I'd buy it if I wasn't on SERO.

Because when open it'd be around 7" long?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

GobiasIndustries posted:

Are the rollers the same as using a PC trackball from back in the day? because God knows I cleaned my share of roller congestion. Any guides to dismantling this thing, or do I just slide something thin below the ball and flip it out?
I'm not familiar with the 8800 model, but GIS shows that it looks like it's the same type of trackball as the original Curve (83x0). On that phone, yes, you just pop off the silver ring and lift the ball out.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Anyone know what's happening here?

I have a 9630 (Tour) on Verizon, and I just upgraded the OS to the 5.0.484 for Sprint. Everything seems to be working fine, but when I run the Speedtest app (from Xtreme Labs), my results are way different. Before they were always a pretty constant 350 Kbits/s up and 350 Kbits/s down, and now it's showing around 80 Kbits/s up and 2000 Kbits/s down.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

nerdrum posted:

The OS is probably trying to send you the sprint 3G service books and you're stuck on GPRS or even edge possibly even though the phone is probably reading 3g,
But my speed now is showing 5x what it was before. :confused:

I have no idea if the speed test is accurate, but the browser seems a lot quicker (a whole lot less 'requesting' in the status bar). Could be imagining it, but it seems that way.

e: and all the entries in the host routing table are Verizon[some hex number]. Should I really resend the service books?

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 16, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

My tour has stopped giving me notifications from Facebook and UberTweet. I still get notifications for e-mail, SMS, Google Talk and AIM. Any clues as to why?

Are you still getting the messages from Facebook in your email?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

No, but I never was to begin with :confused:
That's odd, the only way I could get the Facebook app to work was to have notifications sent to my email, and the FB app would pick them up and parse them from there.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Shnooks posted:

I have a Blackberry Tour that I got about a month ago.

I just did the update and it seems like the standby button isn't working? Do you know if they got rid of that or something?
You've probably found this out by now, but ...

old top buttons:

Left: Lock
Right: Standby/Mute

new top buttons:

Left: Lock+Standby
Right: Mute

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Before you do anything, do you know how to check which apps are running?

Press and hold the menu (BB) button. A popup should appear showing currently running applications (old Curves had a menu come up, if I remember correctly, and you had to choose 'Switch Application').

There are five apps that run continuously: Phone, Blackberry Messenger, Home Screen, Browser, and Messages. See if there's anything else running.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Deadpan Science posted:

My dad has a blackberry curve, and he wants to get a few chargers, what kind of connection does the blackberry curve use for charging? Is there a place to get cheap chargers? I used ebay to get some mini usb cords and car adapters for like $5 for my android phone, but the plug looks a bit weird on the curve. What kind of plug is it?

Old Curve - 83x0 with trackball -- mini USB
New Curve - 85x0 with trackpad -- micro USB

I got my chargers from Amazon. Monoprice.com has cheap mini/micro adapters, too.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Khatib posted:

Anybody else not getting facebook alerts through the blackberry app the last few days?
Mine are coming through fine.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

elite burrito posted:

So is it really as bad as you guys say it is?
Probably not. Remember where you are -- a phone geeks' forum.

quote:

Am I going to have to carry an iPod touch and a MiFi or what?
Depends what you use your phone for.

In my opinion and experience, for phone calls, contacts, calendars, email, SMS, IM, news, and streaming audio, Blackberries are just as good as (or better than) other smartphones.

Playing audio and video is ok (it's not exactly a stellar experience on Android, either). Web browsing is most likely going to suck hard. And no platform comes close to iOS in terms of gaming.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Godzilla07 posted:

BlackBerrys are good at messaging, and there's a reason for that. This is really the only thing that a BlackBerry is good for. They'll get good battery life, certainly better than any modern smartphone and they have great keyboards.

Kind of what I implied, I thought. Put another way, I think that if you use your phone as primarily a communication device, a Blackberry is not bad -- more to the point, not as bad as people here make it seem. If you're looking for an entertainment device (let's put web browsing in this category), then yeah I agree, "god help you".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

elite burrito posted:

Well I guess beyond pandora (which, if it is locked down, I will go back to HR and retroactively decline the job offer), facebook (don't really care too much about this), and foursquare (definitely don't care too much about this), all I really use my iPhone for other than calls/sms/mail/PIM is RSS feeds and incidental web stuff (like: I need to know the phone number or address of this place, or trivia about something (a lot of wikipedia)).

I don't really play games at all.

Maybe I'll just ride it out and see if it is worth carrying two phones.
Then if your employer doesn't lock out app installation, you'll probably be fine with just one device. That's almost exactly how I used my Tour for a year (except I used Slacker instead of Pandora), and if it wasn't for the "shiny new toy" factor I'd still be happy with it.

• Locked thread