Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

Heisenberg says relax!

I quit boy scouts the first time I saw them start to pray. It wasn't very long before they trotted that poo poo out so I don't know poo poo.

It'll be a king size mattress and springs going on the roof of a chevy tahoe it has the factory roof rack.

How would I earn me some knot-tying and make it so I don't look like a tool in front of people seeing me tie it and not make me an "at-fault policy-holder" to the cops and some unlucky bastard behind me?

And yeah I know those cam-buckle straps would be cool but it's kinda overkill for a bed and I already know I've lost man-points for not knowing how to do it with rope.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2009 around 05:14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Even trying to narrow it down to specific events is problematic.
Was Danzig or War right or wrong?
Was the Holocaust right or wrong?
It clearly has elements of both. Trying to cast super broad concepts in yes/ no terms is argumentative reductionism.

Tell me about it. Knots elude me no matter how much I try to get better at them. All I know is that you'll want a cinch knot, and I would try and find a back road to where ever you're going so you can bring the speed down. Use a lot of rope and wrap stuff around whatever structural points you can find.

Check out this site for instructions on how to do specific knots. Takes a while to get a handle on though. http://www.animatedknots.com/

Cheez-It
Oct 24, 2003

by Tiny Fistpump

Holy poo poo you are a retard. If you can't tie knots don't try. You can get some straps from a sporting goods store that will work 100x better. Or rent/borrow a trailer, you moron.

Towel the racks, make sure the front end has a hookup. Knot tying is a skill, not tried ontop of a vehicle that's going to go 70 mph.

In your defense, no one uses rope. Special straps are made.

Cheez-It fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2009 around 05:24

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

Heisenberg says relax!

Kaal posted:

Check out this site for instructions on how to do specific knots. Takes a while to get a handle on though. http://www.animatedknots.com/

They have one called clinch but it doesn't look like it's for tightening things down. I'll look around there and see if I can learn something.

And to the other guy, sorry I didn't have the same experiences as you and have things I've yet to learn. Must be nice. edit: OK ok, I won't be going over like 35 and it's only for a couple miles too.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2009 around 05:26

Cheez-It
Oct 24, 2003

by Tiny Fistpump

Wagonburner posted:

They have one called clinch but it doesn't look like it's for tightening things down. I'll look around there and see if I can learn something.

And to the other guy, sorry I didn't have the same experiences as you and have things I've yet to learn. Must be nice.

Not making fun of you, but that poo poo falling off the car is going to be way worse. Although I was, damnit.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...uctId=100173647

Get those, put some towels on the roof rack to prevent rubbing, and put the mattress on first, then the box spring. Make sure that if you're wrapping the straps through the doorframes, do it with the doors open so you don't have to Duke of Hazzard it back into the car.

Edit: Couldn't find anything else on their site, but you should be able to get some 1" wide 2000-5000# rated ones for about half that price.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

It clearly has elements of both. Trying to cast super broad concepts in yes/ no terms is argumentative reductionism.

Wagonburner posted:

Sorry; a cinch knot is a knot that can be tightened by cinching it tight. A opposed to something like the bow knot you tie your shoes with, which can't be appreciably tightened once the knot is set.

edit: I'd say give it a shot in the parking lot before taking it on the road, but as long as you aren't going past 30 it probably isn't going to flip up in the wind. That being said, straps are fantastically useful and you'll be glad you bought them. No matter how you carry the mattress, get someone to follow your car at a safe distance to ensure you don't get tailgated and you know if it flips off.

Kaal fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2009 around 05:32

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

Feel free to learn some knots for future occasions, but I agree that it's a terrible idea to try to do this with rope. Get the straps and be safe. I wouldn't think you less of a man for using them, but I would think you more of a huge idiot if your mattress falls off on the interstate.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

Heisenberg says relax!

Ok 3:1 now so maybe straps it is then. I have to go to harbor freight for something else tomorrow anyway and I know they have those pretty cheap.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Wagonburner posted:

Ok 3:1 now so maybe straps it is then. I have to go to harbor freight for something else tomorrow anyway and I know they have those pretty cheap.

You should think about bringing something to strap down on the way home so that you can have them show you how to use them.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

Heisenberg says relax!

Kaal posted:

You should think about bringing something to strap down on the way home so that you can have them show you how to use them.

I actually have used those before and know how to, it's the old fashioned stuff like ropes I dont know but should have known long before I ever touched a cambuckle strap.

I'm just a city-boy with a credit card gonna buy me something at harbor freight to, how you say.."get her finished".

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2009 around 05:46

JackBoCracken
May 27, 2001

I do believe it's "git 'r done"

And I think you'd be fine using a rope. Hell you could test it in the parking lot first. We routinely car-top sailboats using line...I mean I guess it's kind of different, but both items have a lot of windage...

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Actually I have transported my bed and box springs several times on top of my car by ripping up a bed sheet, tying the strips together to form rope, looping it through my open doors, then tying it all up. Easy as hell and you can just cut your makeshift 'rope' apart to get it off after that.

Just make sure to have rope running along both the length and the width and make sure that these ropes are tied around each other to prevent your bed from flying off the front of your car at a stop sign.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

I have a couple of these little rope-tightener things I must have picked up at an army surplus store or something for a couple of bucks. They're kind of hard to describe, but they're sort of shaped like o--o. They're super-easy to use and they tighten poo poo up real good. I think they're supposed to be for tent ropes.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Eyeball posted:

I have a couple of these little rope-tightener things I must have picked up at an army surplus store or something for a couple of bucks. They're kind of hard to describe, but they're sort of shaped like o--o. They're super-easy to use and they tighten poo poo up real good. I think they're supposed to be for tent ropes.
Those are turnbuckles, but he'd still need to know how to tie a knot.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Sergg posted:

Actually I have transported my bed and box springs several times on top of my car by ripping up a bed sheet, tying the strips together to form rope, looping it through my open doors, then tying it all up. Easy as hell and you can just cut your makeshift 'rope' apart to get it off after that. Just make sure to have rope running along both the length and the width and make sure that these ropes are tied around each other to prevent your bed from flying off the front of your car at a stop sign.

Huh, that must have been your bed that I dodged around on Interstate-5 a few years back. Small world!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Would have been a shame to blow it up.

10-4 come and exchange loads with me good buddy

Trucker's hitch is the knot you are looking for.

Zachsta
Jun 13, 2007

by T. Fine

Just man up and go for it; I learned to tie knots through trial and error, not going to some fancy knot-tying school. If you don't take the first step and sink or swim the you'll never learn. You can't be afraid of failure in life; you might lose a few mattresses but you'll eventually learn to tie knots and have some great stories to tell as well as the satisfaction of overcoming an obstacle and achieving your goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SETEC Astronomy
Jul 30, 2008

Too many secrets.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Trucker's hitch is the knot you are looking for.
Or a good bowline. That's one of the sturdiest knots you can tie.