Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E

Gyshall posted:

Look at Gravity Forms (very good) or Woocommerce, although Woocommerce is probably overkill.

Thanks for the reply! Gravity Forms looks like just what I need, I couldn't get the functionality that I need to work based on their demo, but reading up on it people are using it for the same exact thing I need, so I'll go for it. Thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I include a loop on my index page so that posts are displayed without the site itself actually existing in Wordpress.

It works fine except plugins don't work (for instance, I have a lightbox plugin that works great on the wordpress blog itself but doesn't carry over to my actual website).

Is there any way, using the loop or otherwise, that I can get Wordpress plugins working on my index page?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Can you post an example/source code? I have no idea what you're describing.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E
To be honest I'm completely new to using Wordpress, and my first experiment with using it is causing me some difficulties. I'm used to building websites using Zurb Foundation, and would like to use the same responsiveness and features when using Wordpress, but I'm very unfamiliar with setting stuff up with Wordpress (and PHP), and it feels like I've read through 100 different tutorials at this point and haven't gotten anywhere.

I'm using the Nouveau framework (http://www.nouveauframework.com) which includes Foundation, but no obtrusive design elements that I've got to overwrite, which is brilliant. I have designed my website in a normal way, just writing HTML + SCSS, and using a few Javascript utilities from online (specifically Waypoint) as the customer wants some animated features. I'm also using Foundation's Off Canvas and Orbit slider features.

I have my working webpage hosted here: http://designsoutheast.co.uk/JDG/ - this is working as intended. As you shrink the window, it is responsive and there are a few little animations, and everything seems to work (though isn't polished yet, certain things need to be changed and made to validate etc). But all features work roughly as intended, when you get to a certain size, the menu becomes an Off Canvas menu using Foundation's standard Off-Canvas features.

So then I've tried to get this to work with Wordpress and the Nouveau framework, and here is the result (hosted just on a random domain):

http://www.workwear-sussex.co.uk

I have copied the header code into header.php, the body code of this page into index.php, footer into footer.php, and I've copied the CSS (generated by Scss) into stylesheets.css. I've also uploaded the JS files for the waypoint animations by FTP. I've uncommented the references to Off Canvas and Orbit in the config.php file which is part of Nouveau framework, which I thought should give me access to those features.

As you can see, when I finally load the website, everything seems to work apart from off-canvas (and the responsiveness of the navigation menu in general), and the orbit slider just stacks up slides rather than working properly.

Also, the top waypoint animation doesn't seem to work, but the rest do.

Again, here is how it SHOULD work:

http://www.designsoutheast.co.uk/JDG

I'm certain that this is completely due to me doing things incorrectly, rather than any problem with Foundation, Nouveau framework or Wordpress - but would anybody be kind enough to give me some pointers as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you!

Edit: Update to the above: With the help of a guy on the Zurb Foundation Forum I think I've found the problem! The CSS had gone completely screwy, I used an online "clean up your CSS" tool - all I wanted to do was remove all of the line-number comments generated by Sass, and it seems that it removed a bunch of tags and added more - either that, or Wordpress did it, OR I screwed up in some other way. Either way, it's not working perfectly now, but the biggest problems (off-canvas missing and the orbit slider not working) have been fixed!

Chris! fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 31, 2014

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

Chris! posted:

I'm using the Nouveau framework (http://www.nouveauframework.com) which includes Foundation

This looks interesting, would you recommend it?

I know you're new to WordPress but do you or anyone else know how it stacks up against something like Genesis?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I'm looking for some advice on themes/plugins that play nice with membership features. The bottle shop I work at runs a Whisky tasting club and we'd like to move the membership online.

I'd like a plugin that allows new members to sign up. Membership is free, you pay per event. I'd like to be able to email members when an event is announced and allow them to sign up and pay via the site and have their payment recorded against their membership so it's easy to keep a track of.

I've had a bit of a search around haven't found much at all. Any search involving "wordpress" and "club"/"membership" seems to bring up theme clubs etc.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E

Heskie posted:

This looks interesting, would you recommend it?

I know you're new to WordPress but do you or anyone else know how it stacks up against something like Genesis?

Well, I currently feel like I'm stumbling my way through Wordpress not really sure if I'm doing stuff right. If you've more experience you'll probably have a much easier time.

Having said that, I've been able to keep my workflow pretty much the same, and just copy and paste my regular Zurb Foundation HTML and Sass generated css into Wordpress and it's working, so no complaints about the framework. I have nothing to compare it to I'm afraid though, this is my first toe in the water.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

slothrop posted:

I'm looking for some advice on themes/plugins that play nice with membership features. The bottle shop I work at runs a Whisky tasting club and we'd like to move the membership online.

I'd like a plugin that allows new members to sign up. Membership is free, you pay per event. I'd like to be able to email members when an event is announced and allow them to sign up and pay via the site and have their payment recorded against their membership so it's easy to keep a track of.

I've had a bit of a search around haven't found much at all. Any search involving "wordpress" and "club"/"membership" seems to bring up theme clubs etc.

Sounds like what you need is an email campaign manager like mailchimp or constant contact, and then just link to a page that has a PayPal button to allow them to pay for the event, or put the button in the email.

Having it record against thr membership won't happen in this case, but in order to do that you'd need something that manages members. You can use something like full slate will allow for people to register for an event and would keep track of their signups.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 1, 2014

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

tater_salad posted:

Sounds like what you need is an email campaign manager like mailchimp or constant contact, and then just link to a page that has a PayPal button to allow them to pay for the event, or put the button in the email.

Having it record against thr membership won't happen in this case, but in order to do that you'd need something that manages members. You can use something like full slate will allow for people to register for an event and would keep track of their signups.

Thanks for that, I'll have a look into full slate and see if it'll do what we want, otherwise we may have to revise our expectations

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
Quick question. I'm creating a theme, and when I click any link on my sidebar widgets, I'm taken to a new page that doesn't seem to abide by style.css. All my text become naked and ugly. Is there a specific default css file widget-click-result pages look for? I'm googling around but my results are come up with "How to style widgets!" which isn't what I need.

EDIT - upon further inspection I see that it does look at my style.css. I realized my stupid mistake. You never read this... look away.

JesusDoesVegas fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 3, 2014

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Is there a way to have something along the lines of...

I have been travelling for [code days since(april 11th 2011)] days.

In a Wordpress text field and have it automatically work? I guess some PHP but I've no idea how.

edit : and in an even fancier way, having it output it as x years, x months and x days would be even better.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 14, 2014

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Sad Panda posted:

Is there a way to have something along the lines of...

I have been travelling for [code days since(april 11th 2011)] days.

In a Wordpress text field and have it automatically work? I guess some PHP but I've no idea how.

edit : and in an even fancier way, having it output it as x years, x months and x days would be even better.

I wrote a countdown plugin called CSSable Countdown that does exactly this. You want the shortcode count up version. The FAQ tab tells you how to use the short code.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

daggerdragon posted:

I wrote a countdown plugin called CSSable Countdown that does exactly this. You want the shortcode count up version. The FAQ tab tells you how to use the short code.

Fantastic, thank you for that. Two small things, is compact meant to be that compact with no spaces between numbers and words, if so could you add an option that adds commas (or spaces) instead of tabs like text adds. Secondly, how do I overwrite the default of putting it on a separate line?

55,293 km in [countdown date="04/21/2011" direction=up format=yod display=compact]

55,293 km in [countdown date="04/21/2011" direction=up format=yod display=text]

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 15, 2014

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Sad Panda posted:

Fantastic, thank you for that. Two small things, is compact meant to be that compact with no spaces between numbers and words, if so could you add an option that adds commas (or spaces) instead of tabs like text adds. Secondly, how do I overwrite the default of putting it on a separate line?

55,293 km in [countdown date="04/21/2011" direction=up format=yod display=compact]

55,293 km in [countdown date="04/21/2011" direction=up format=yod display=text]

It's 100% CSS-able, so you can add the commas and spacing yourself with :after and some padding on the .countdown-label. You should be able to display:inline the .has-countdown to make it inline.

I'm on mobile for this week, I can't really write sample code right now, sorry.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
What's the best way to make gifs play when clicked using Wordpress? Right now when they're clicked they open in a new window. Don't want them to play automatically as there's a few on the page

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
How would I made it so a different set of widgets show up on the primary sidebar for my home page and post pages.

edit: seems like widget logic plugin is what I need

grenada fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 20, 2014

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
I've got a new client and I'm trying to fix their shop website, specifically how woocommerce is handled.

http://www.teddysinclair.com/product/belts/billy-basic/

If you select from the drop down menu's you're unable to click the add to cart button. I know it moves around a bit, but even when I fix that you still can't click it.

if you go to a product with no variations

http://www.teddysinclair.com/product/bags-female/amapa/

you can click fine. I've tried changing the theme to a woothemes theme I have and it works fine which makes me think I can rule out any plugins. I'm really tearing my hair out trying to figure out what the problem is.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

slothrop posted:

I've got a new client and I'm trying to fix their shop website, specifically how woocommerce is handled.

http://www.teddysinclair.com/product/belts/billy-basic/

If you select from the drop down menu's you're unable to click the add to cart button. I know it moves around a bit, but even when I fix that you still can't click it.

if you go to a product with no variations

http://www.teddysinclair.com/product/bags-female/amapa/

you can click fine. I've tried changing the theme to a woothemes theme I have and it works fine which makes me think I can rule out any plugins. I'm really tearing my hair out trying to figure out what the problem is.

There's a CSS style for the button's active state (button pressed) to "top: 1px", as the button is "position: relative" its moving the button when you press the mouse.

The CSS is minified so I can't direct you to the exact line, but search for .woocommerce button.button:active in your CSS and either remove the selector from this rule or the top: 1px declaration (though this will probably break other things, theres a lot of selectors using it).

Chrome Dev Tools or Firebug are great for this sort of thing:

Heskie fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 21, 2014

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Thanks very much for that. I just stumbled across the answer by turning off everything via Firebug. I'm not fussed about the broken styling at the moment, the client just wants the site working again.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Sonofabitch.

I'm trying to list the sub-pages for a menu, and it WONT FRICKIN WORK. What am I missing here? '19' is a top-level, and it has children (6 or 7 items) below it.

code:
<?php $items = wp_get_nav_menu_items(19); ?>
<?php
foreach($items as $item)
{
    echo '<li>'.$item->title.'</li>';
}
?> 

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy

pipebomb posted:

Sonofabitch.

I'm trying to list the sub-pages for a menu, and it WONT FRICKIN WORK. What am I missing here? '19' is a top-level, and it has children (6 or 7 items) below it.

code:
<?php $items = wp_get_nav_menu_items(19); ?>
<?php
foreach($items as $item)
{
    echo '<li>'.$item->title.'</li>';
}
?> 

Won't work how? What's 19 the ID of? If it's a page, that's not how that function works and you should check out the menu documentation here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Navigation_Menus

In short, you need to put a snippet in your functions.php to enable menu creation from the admin area under Appearance > Menus. From there you can arrange the pages, post and taxonomies that will comprise the items of your menu. You can arrange things hierarchically but unfortunately, I don't think there's anything in core WordPress that allows you to fetch children of a specific nav menu item. Feel free, someone, to correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I have a custom class I use to handle this but this stackoverflow answer seems reasonably close to what you need: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11935423/how-do-i-generate-a-custom-menu-sub-menu-system-using-wp-get-nav-menu-items-in-w

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
19 is the id of the menu. I ended up just manually adding them since I was in a time crunch. Sucks not to have a native way to show children though.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Is there a way to persuade WordPress' auto-updater to update to an older version than the most-current one? Folks at my work are a bit on the conservative side, so we updated all our test sites to 3.8.3 a few days ago. Meanwhile, 3.9 came out, and I'd rather not have to do 30+ updates "manually" if I can avoid it. (I need to update the production sites to 3.8.3, not 3.9.)

Assume that getting them on an update cycle that's more often than once a month is a non-starter. Took them a week to let me patch Heartbleed. :(

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You could partially automate upgrades to a specific version with wp-cli

http://wp-cli.org/commands/core/update/

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I started using that tool a few weeks ago, and that's just another awesome feature I didn't know about.

I'll have to test it a bit, to see if our SELinux setup makes it choke, but that just might save me a bunch of manual work. Thanks!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

daggerdragon posted:

It's 100% CSS-able, so you can add the commas and spacing yourself with :after and some padding on the .countdown-label. You should be able to display:inline the .has-countdown to make it inline.

I'm on mobile for this week, I can't really write sample code right now, sorry.

Thank you for that, I'm going to have to go and do some reading to understand what that actually means. I'm pretty much inept at CSS!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Sad Panda posted:

Thank you for that, I'm going to have to go and do some reading to understand what that actually means. I'm pretty much inept at CSS!

I got the inline bit sorted adding the following to my style.css file

code:
.hasCountdown
{
 display:inline;
}
I'm working on the ::after, but it seems less obvious. My initial attempt of

code:
.countdown-label::after
{
 content:"aa";
}
Doesn't seem to be adding aa, probably for some obvious reason that I just don't know. If someone could give me a hint that'd be great!

edit:

Got it! Looked at the source code and it was called countdown_label not countdown-label

code:
.countdown_label:after
{
 content: ", ";
}

.countdown_label:before
{
 content: " ";
}
With that it displays just as I want it to. Thank you!

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 24, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I have a Squarespace site that I'm trying to migrate to Wordpress. The primary reason is that as a non-profit we need to integrate CiviCRM and various other donation / subscription / membership options.

The site is video and image heavy blog content similar to something like nowness.com

For theme options I've been looking at using either Headway or Pagelines DMS to replicate our current design. Does anyone have any experience with these systems? DMS seems more intuitive and WYSIWYG to me, but Headway seems to have a better community.

Ultimately I'd like to build a custom theme from a leaner base like Underscores or something, but the turnaround on this is less than a month so for now that's out of the question.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Two small problems that I can't see how to solve:

* I've got a few categories that won't let their slug be renamed (e.g. The slug “science” is already in use by another term). Now, there was a another slug of that name ages ago, but there isn't any more - I deleted it. So, I'm baffled - is there something left in the db. Or is it colliding with the slug from a page called "science"?

* I've updated the permalink structure in my site from one based on the page hierarchy to one based on the categories. So how do I update the whole bunch of pages that seem to be clinging to the old name?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
As part of my re-design I'm making the site more responsive depending on screen size. Up to now I'd just been embedding videos that are 640x480 and thinking nothing of it. How do I get the website to show which version of the link to show?

code:
<p align=center><iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" media="screen and (min-width: 768px)" src="http://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/3198589085_RLWcfTR?width=640&height=360&albumId=38272151&albumKey=GCLdhx"></iframe></p>

<p align=center><iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" media="screen and (max-width: 760px)" width="425" height="240" src="http://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/3198589085_RLWcfTR?width=425&height=240"></iframe></p>
That was my attempt, because media and max/min-width had been working so well in CSS, but that doesn't seem to work in HTML. If not that then is it javascript? basically

screen-width > 768 -> show iframe1
screen-width <768 -> show iframe2

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

There are so many things wrong with that code. align=center is super old, deprecated and should not be used. That's not how you do media queries, and anyways media queries cannot be inline. Not intended to be rude question that will probably seem rude: do you actually know HTML?

Simplified:

CSS code:
.first, .second { display: none; }

@media screen and (max-width: 767px) {
  .first { display: block; }
}

@media screen and (min-width: 768px) {
  .second { display: block; }
}
code:
<iframe class="first"></iframe>
<iframe class="second"></iframe>
It's unlikely you can do this all in the post editor in WP without sticking lots of code in your posts, if that's what you're trying to do.

e: Actually can you just set a fluid width on those iframes? Do they need to be set widths? The video appears to be streaming at the same quality either way, so the size is relatively superficial.

Ie. (with some ugly inline CSS ;) )

code:
<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="width: 100%; height: auto;" src="...	"></iframe>

kedo fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 25, 2014

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Nope, I don't know HTML.

Thank you for your help. That works well.

edit : The version with ugly inline css doesn't seem to work because the smugmug stream seems to stay the same size no matter what the iframe. That means if the iframe is too small it just shows a corner of the video. Bizarre.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 25, 2014

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!
I'm building this for fun, and maybe for my personal blog: http://samglover.net/terminal/

I didn't see anything similar in the official WordPress themes directory. This was the closest I found. I'm also trying to do it all with just index.php and comments.php (I particularly like the commenting form), instead of the usual collection of theme files.

It's definitely a work in progress, but you can get the general idea.

Robot Arms fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 25, 2014

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
I have a google hosted wordpress site that is using Contact Form 7. Instead of using godaddys email server, I'm using Google's.

my problem is that my form doesn't work when I use my main email address (myname@mydomain.com) as the recipient.

if i put in any other email address (that doesn't have my domain on the email) as the recipient, my form works.

any idea what the problem is, or what I should be looking at?

I appreciate any help.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Do you mean that your site is hosted by GoDaddy?

They (GoDaddy) often include email hosting in their plans. It's possible they think they are responsible for your domain's email, and since you don't have an address in their email system it's just disappearing into a black hole. Have you had problems receiving mail from other GoDaddy users?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

stoops posted:

I have a google hosted wordpress site that is using Contact Form 7. Instead of using godaddys email server, I'm using Google's.

my problem is that my form doesn't work when I use my main email address (myname@mydomain.com) as the recipient.

if i put in any other email address (that doesn't have my domain on the email) as the recipient, my form works.

any idea what the problem is, or what I should be looking at?

I appreciate any help.

Turn email off on GoDaddy. I've had this same issue dozens of times in the past (you'd think I'd learn). The short version is since you're tying to send email from a page on mydomain.com to an address at mydomain.com the server says, "Oh, that's me!" and tries to send it to itself. If you turn mail services off entirely on GoDaddy, it'll go through to Google.

Or at least I'd bet a dollar that's the issue. ;)

e: Wait, a "google hosted wordpress site"? Do you mean GoDaddy? If not, where does GoDaddy come into the equation here?

kedo fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 29, 2014

stoops
Jun 11, 2001

kedo posted:

Turn email off on GoDaddy. I've had this same issue dozens of times in the past (you'd think I'd learn). The short version is since you're tying to send email from a page on mydomain.com to an address at mydomain.com the server says, "Oh, that's me!" and tries to send it to itself. If you turn mail services off entirely on GoDaddy, it'll go through to Google.

Or at least I'd bet a dollar that's the issue. ;)

e: Wait, a "google hosted wordpress site"? Do you mean GoDaddy? If not, where does GoDaddy come into the equation here?

Ah, I just reread my post, sorry for the confusion. "google hosted" should have been GoDaddy hosted. I meant, I have a website, hosted on GoDaddy, powered by a Wordpress installation.

Google comes in because they take care of my email mx records.

How do I completely turn off email on Godaddy? I don't have any email accounts associated with them. Thanks for your help.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

No clue! You're going to need to dig around in the control panel a bit. The name and location of that option is going to change based on what sort of software they're using, and I'm not personally familiar with GoDaddy hosting.

If all else fails, their support folks can probably help you out.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I am making a site for professionals to blog about things and to hold profiles about them and the work they do.

I'd like to be able to fill out custom fields on each author's profile to hold things like industries the author works in, their educational background, links to publications, etc, and to be able to generate dynamic lists/pages based on those tags/fields (for example, I'd like to be able to populate a list of people based on which office they work out of, or a list of everyone tagged in the Medical industry).

Is there a plugin that would help with this? I'm not sure if I'm searching for the wrong thing but I'm having a hard time finding something that does this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I am making a site for professionals to blog about things and to hold profiles about them and the work they do.

I'd like to be able to fill out custom fields on each author's profile to hold things like industries the author works in, their educational background, links to publications, etc, and to be able to generate dynamic lists/pages based on those tags/fields (for example, I'd like to be able to populate a list of people based on which office they work out of, or a list of everyone tagged in the Medical industry).

Is there a plugin that would help with this? I'm not sure if I'm searching for the wrong thing but I'm having a hard time finding something that does this.

Check out http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/ if you haven't already. I've not looked into it fully but there's docs on dealing with user fields too (http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/how-to/how-to-get-values-from-a-user/).

As for creating the actual pages, you may need to create a page with a page template and use something like get_users() to loop through your users. There's probably plugins for this, but they may not have the customisation you're after and personally I prefer handling this sort of stuff manually.

You could create the pages programatically too using wp_insert_post(), adding this to your theme's functions.php or preferably in a custom plugin so the feature persists between theme changes.

Heskie fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 29, 2014