Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

kedo posted:

Why would you do that in WordPress? It doesn't sound like you want to use any of the functionality WordPress offers besides templating (sorta). I've got to believe there are better tools for the job.

Because this is to add functionality to an existing, active Wordpress site. I thought it might be easier to try and work within WordPress to do this rather than add something new and then have to integrate them somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Hey fellas, got a question I could use your help with!

I was having trouble getting my background page to cover the entire header/content/footer area using the usual means, and was told the solution would be to link the image directly by covering the entire content area. This sounds like a simple solution, but have ran into a rather perplexing hiccup. I've been trying to link this background image to my WordPress site via the CSS editor for the past half hour, and I just can't figure out why the image doesn't want to load.

This is my code that I have saved in my CSS style:

code:
#content {
	background-image: url('http://parrotine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Explore1.jpg'); 
	background-size: cover;
	}
but this is what it displays on my main page with all the committed changes to the code

http://parrotine.com/

Maybe someone can help explain just what i'm doing wrong here? It's the proper pathway to the image in my media library, so why is it not showing up?

Any help greatly appreciated!

White Light fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 29, 2015

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I can see the image. Your front page looks like this for me:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/stuzmvaxy6rt0x6/Screenshot%202015-10-29%2017.46.56.png?dl=0

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Huh, so it is! Well i'm not sure what the hangup was but at least it's displaying.

However, it doesn't seem to be covering the entire page size? I have the background set to cover, how come there are white spaces on the left and right sides?

here's the code affecting the general layout:

code:
#content {
	background-image: url('http://parrotine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Explore1.jpg');
	background-size: cover;
	}

#content form span { width: 100%; }
EDIT: Ah, it turns out one of the classes had been set to a max-width of 980px! Once I removed the rule it resized to the way it should :D

White Light fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 29, 2015

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I need to add a page to a WP site that works like this:
http://www.stefanheinrichs.com/
every time you click you get a random image.

Anyone know if there's some kind of ajax image gallery plugin that will display random images and preload the next few images for fast loading?

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I work full-stack for a tiny web development firm that mostly works in support of academic/grant projects. We're working on our first WP site (hopefully of many—I think it solves some problems for which CodeIgniter/Laravel are overkill) for a client and I'm trying to think through how a CMS works with our fledgling deployment process. Does a solution like Bamboo make sense next to Wordpress? Should local and staging servers share a database with only production being separate? Once the site is stable in production, should plugin/core/theme upgrades be done on the production server or at the beginning of the Bamboo flow? Thanks!

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I work full-stack for a tiny web development firm that mostly works in support of academic/grant projects. We're working on our first WP site (hopefully of many—I think it solves some problems for which CodeIgniter/Laravel are overkill) for a client and I'm trying to think through how a CMS works with our fledgling deployment process. Does a solution like Bamboo make sense next to Wordpress? Should local and staging servers share a database with only production being separate? Once the site is stable in production, should plugin/core/theme upgrades be done on the production server or at the beginning of the Bamboo flow? Thanks!

Bamboo wouldn't be overkill if you were doing the kind of heavy development work that called for CI. But most WP work isn't /that/ heavy.

Last time I worked as full-stack on Wordpress (up to start of 2015) our shop ran Beanstalk, which is basically a nice interface for Git and FTP deployment. 99.9% of the WP world still works off FTP. If you're running on top of PaaS/IaaS (think Heroku/DigitalOcean/AWS), then you have an opportunity to use big boy automated deployment tools but honestly it's probably more challenging/time consuming/harder to hire for than raw FTP.

Integration testing + WP is a thing that's possible, but it's not exactly pretty. I'd expect to have to record my own Selenium scripts and then translate those into headless code. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a big part of that work would be getting something close to an ephemeral database (but my entire understanding of CI/automated testing comes from Rails). Maybe Vagrant is doing good things here (edit: enabling good things). I dunno.

Databases are a different monster entirely. In short, use a good database migration plugin and move stuff from local -> staging -> production. Staging can be a good chance for client review of content, if that's necessary. Pull production down (ie use the same plugin but point from production -> local) when upgrading versions, if necessary.

Plugin/core/theme upgrades (again pulling from my Rails experience here) should be treated like a Rails core or gem component update. Do earlier in the flow and then ship it properly. If you're using source control in your flow it makes for an easy rollback if you or your tests miss something.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Keep your whole WP codebase under version control. Use a deploy tool (like Rocketeer) to get things out to the server and rollback if necessary. Anything less is unprofessional, unless this is just a casual freelance thing that isn't yours.

https://github.com/mykebates/wp-rocketeer

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
If I wanted to 'ajaxify' my site - in effect have each header/post link instantly load content within the same div, what would be the best approach to take? I'm kicking off with an _ template.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I've never really done it from scratch but I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

WP does have documentation on it:
https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Action_Reference/wp_ajax_(action)

One thing to watch out for is plugins etc. breaking if the page doesn't fully refresh because they can't put their own page-specific JS/CSS in the header and footer. This always seems to happen to me when I try fancy themes which use ajax to transition between pages.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

fuf posted:

I've never really done it from scratch but I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

WP does have documentation on it:
https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Action_Reference/wp_ajax_(action)

One thing to watch out for is plugins etc. breaking if the page doesn't fully refresh because they can't put their own page-specific JS/CSS in the header and footer. This always seems to happen to me when I try fancy themes which use ajax to transition between pages.

Well, I'm sort of in a mood to do as much as I can from scratch, so I'm going to avoid as many plugins as possible. i'll post if I have any measure of success.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I have a html template i need to hack up and make into a wordpress theme... Its pretty simple, and as it's for ebay self contained. http://prestoparts.co.uk/ebay/pp/BestTemplate/index.html

I basically want that, with the content area and sidebar as it is. Whats the easiest way of going about this? I have added my code into an existing theme and it looked great but making the content section work proper is a pain in the rear end... As is the sidebar.

Also what's it likely to cost me to get this done?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

thegasman2000 posted:

I have a html template i need to hack up and make into a wordpress theme... Its pretty simple, and as it's for ebay self contained. http://prestoparts.co.uk/ebay/pp/BestTemplate/index.html

I basically want that, with the content area and sidebar as it is. Whats the easiest way of going about this? I have added my code into an existing theme and it looked great but making the content section work proper is a pain in the rear end... As is the sidebar.

Also what's it likely to cost me to get this done?

someone in India or Muldova on rentacoder/freelancer would probably do it for $15

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Really basic question but trying to read WordPress's Wiki articles for an answer is confusing... if I install WordPress in a directory, say /website, if I download the entire directory, have I completely backed up my website?

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

huhu posted:

Really basic question but trying to read WordPress's Wiki articles for an answer is confusing... if I install WordPress in a directory, say /website, if I download the entire directory, have I completely backed up my website?

No, because that directory won't have the database. You'll have to back it up separately. The combination of those two should be sufficient, though.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

No, because that directory won't have the database. You'll have to back it up separately. The combination of those two should be sufficient, though.

Alright, one step closer. Would this plugin do the trick? https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-db-backup/

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

huhu posted:

Alright, one step closer. Would this plugin do the trick? https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-db-backup/

Go for one of these two:

https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/
https://wordpress.org/plugins/all-in-one-wp-migration/

They create a single package which contains your whole site.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Although we're still in pretty early development, I ended up using Git, Vagrant, Bamboo, and Delicious Brains's Migrate Database Pro plugin (which has WP-CLI integration available). The build step is super thin (just a source pull) and deployment is just SCPing the WP directory over and initiating the Migrate Push in the Vagrant box on all tables except comments and users (the plugin automatically greps for docroot and base url). It's working smoothly after figuring out some permissions issues etc. Our local development environments all use a common database so this is especially easy. It's also simple because it's one-way only at the moment; once clients are doing content development away from the PHP development, our WPMDB profiles are going to have to get a little smarter so we don't wipe out content. I also plan on blocking upgrade capabilities based on environment to force upgrades moving downstream.

YO MAMA HEAD fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 28, 2015

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Although we're still in pretty early development, I ended up using Git, Vagrant, Bamboo, and Delicious Brains's Migrate Database Pro plugin (which has WP-CLI integration available). The build step is super thin (just a source pull) and deployment is just SCPing the WP directory over and initiating the Migrate Push in the Vagrant box on all tables except comments and users (the plugin automatically greps for docroot and base url). It's working smoothly after figuring out some permissions issues etc. Our local development environments all use a common database so this is especially easy. It's also simple because it's one-way only at the moment; once clients are doing content development away from the PHP development, our WPMDB profiles are going to have to get a little smarter so we don't wipe out content. I also plan on blocking upgrade capabilities based on environment to force upgrades moving downstream.

Just out of interest, what does the database migration plugin offer you that you can't already do with wp-cli? wp-cli can import / export specific db tables and do search / replace on db data.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I'm kinda jealous. My site provisioning process is a shell script, and my migration process is a couple more shell scripts with a manual FTP step between.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

fuf posted:

Just out of interest, what does the database migration plugin offer you that you can't already do with wp-cli? wp-cli can import / export specific db tables and do search / replace on db data.

Perhaps not very much—I didn't investigate WP-CLI very much after getting core installed. What attracted me to the Pro plugin is that it has a built-in push/pull API, so deploying db migrations doesn't explicitly involve exporting to a file, transferring, and importing—you just save a migration profile for each environment (push or pull if necessary) and then call that profile for the command line. Now that I have the richer deployment flow set up it may be just as easy to do it manually, but it was helpful at first when I was just thinking through the basics. It can also be done from within WP, so pulling content from production for local testing is just one-click too. Delicious Brains also refunded me their Black Friday discount even though we had bought the plugin 10 days earlier, which was nice of them.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
A friend asked me to retool his website since it looks really bad and I agreed to it. The website is really poorly put together in an old version of Joomla. My only experience in "web design" is that I made and hosted a wordpress site a long time ago. The bar is not real high here so I just need to make something quick and decent. My question is since I've only done this for myself from scratch, what would be the best way to create a WP site and then have him use it on his domain without causing any headaches? I'm not going to touch the Joomla mess. I was looking into using wordpress offline on my pc and then showing it to him to see if he wanted to use it but I'm not sure how I would upload my site and get rid of the older one without disturbing anything (company email etc.) I'm not well versed in this stuff so if you could explain it like you were talking to a moron that would be great.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
anyone else at WordCamp US this week?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

huhu posted:

The 'export' function in WP's admin will let you export all content. You can also export the DB from say, phpMyAdmin if you have access.

My work is thinking of switching up workflow, was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on workflow for really fast WP theme development? We have an in-house framework theme, which is very nice, but I'm not sure the path we're leaning towards is ideal.

Lead has suggested installing locally (probably using vagrant/scotchbox) and developing the theme locally. Grunt will compile LESS files, autoprefix etc and push a repo. Once the aesthetics of the site are complete, we install WP on the actual remote server and sync the theme from the repo. This is to make sure that the entire theme of the site is a hosted repo and that we're not pushing up entire sites on our office's extremely poo poo internet. It kind of feels like overkill for the amount of smaller, cheaper sites we do. What would you guys suggest?

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

well why not posted:

The 'export' function in WP's admin will let you export all content.

No, this just gets you an XML file. It has all the information about the posts and pages on your site, but none of the content itself. It's really only for transferring your content from one WordPress site to another, but both sites have to be online for it to work, because the file just tells the new site where to go to suck all the information out of the old site.

If you want to back up your site, you need to back up your WordPress directory and the database. There are lots of plugins that will handle this for you, or you can do it manually from your server's control panel.

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

well why not posted:

The 'export' function in WP's admin will let you export all content. You can also export the DB from say, phpMyAdmin if you have access.

My work is thinking of switching up workflow, was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on workflow for really fast WP theme development? We have an in-house framework theme, which is very nice, but I'm not sure the path we're leaning towards is ideal.

Lead has suggested installing locally (probably using vagrant/scotchbox) and developing the theme locally. Grunt will compile LESS files, autoprefix etc and push a repo. Once the aesthetics of the site are complete, we install WP on the actual remote server and sync the theme from the repo. This is to make sure that the entire theme of the site is a hosted repo and that we're not pushing up entire sites on our office's extremely poo poo internet. It kind of feels like overkill for the amount of smaller, cheaper sites we do. What would you guys suggest?

Seems fine to me. If you haven't started using that flow already, start it and see if there's stuff that you want to change about it. There's nothing wrong with applying good practice to "smaller, cheaper sites." If anything, that's probably good - you don't want to get lazy with cheap sites and then get stuck manually making changes to each of them should something go wrong. It's bad enough to do repetitive manual work, but it's still more demoralizing when it's on small/cheap sites. Really bad ROI activity, that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey guys—veteran web guy here, being thrown some "easy" WP tweaking jobs. Now I have to figure out how to customize extant sites using WP's front-end.

I can do all the back-end and JS code necessary. I just can't figure out where the files actually are.

For example, the site in question is a pretty bog-standard restaurant using the "blankslate" theme. There's a JS file at /wp-content/themes/blankslate/js/ready.js that I need to modify.

If I go to Appearance -> Editor, and then edit Header.php, I see it's referencing the JS file like this:

code:
	<script src="<?php echo get_stylesheet_directory_uri(); ?>/js/ready.js?dm=20130805a"></script>
But for the life of me I don't see where I can get at the actual ready.js so I can monkey with it. There are no JS files listed in the Editor file list, whether under "Templates" or "Styles". I have to assume ready.js is stored somewhere else, like in the theme itself? I don't know how themes work in WP; am I supposed to be able to download the theme as a package and edit/re-upload it?

Not sure where to begin with this, so I'll provide any further details that might help.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Data Graham posted:

But for the life of me I don't see where I can get at the actual ready.js so I can monkey with it. There are no JS files listed in the Editor file list, whether under "Templates" or "Styles". I have to assume ready.js is stored somewhere else, like in the theme itself? I don't know how themes work in WP; am I supposed to be able to download the theme as a package and edit/re-upload it?

Files inside subfolders (like /js/ here) don't show up in the default editor in Wordpress, so you'll either have to get at them directly through FTP or by using special plugins, I believe.

Edit: Actually, subfolders doesn't seem to be the issue exactly, but filetypes?

darkgray fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 30, 2015

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Data Graham posted:

Not sure where to begin with this, so I'll provide any further details that might help.

All the theme files are in <site root>/wp-content/themes/<theme name>/

So your ready.js file would be in /var/www/restaurant/wp-content/themes/blankslate/js/ready.js or whatever

You edit the files in the theme directory like you would for any other website - forget the WP backend editor thing

get_stylesheet_directory_uri() is just a WP function that gets the path to the theme directory

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Okay, so yeah—I didn't know you were supposed to be able to get FTP access on top of the front-end. And of course this customer doesn't seem to have it enabled or something, or at least the same credentials I use to get into the WP admin don't work.

I tried that Advanced Code Editor plugin, but it just adds syntax coloring and editing tools; it doesn't seem to expose any additional files like the ones in /js.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Okay, so yeah—I didn't know you were supposed to be able to get FTP access on top of the front-end. And of course this customer doesn't seem to have it enabled or something, or at least the same credentials I use to get into the WP admin don't work.

I tried that Advanced Code Editor plugin, but it just adds syntax coloring and editing tools; it doesn't seem to expose any additional files like the ones in /js.

Yeah, I'm sorry. I looked at the fancy tutorial video they had on display, and it showed him editing javascript files in subfolders, but it turns out it only does this for plugins, not themes.

What you can do instead is install the plugin WPide. It won't make the default code editor any more useful, but it adds an entirely new editor in the side menu (<> WPide) that has its own file browser, where you can finally edit any file you want. Hopefully.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh :hellyeah: That's the stuff. Thanks!

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm trying to setup a new child theme and have a style.css and functions.php. I activated the theme and it successfully points to the parent theme and loads it but I cannot figure out why any custom css is not being applied. Thoughts?

style.css
code:
/*
 Theme Name:   tesla Child
 Theme URI:    [url]http://teslathemes.com/wp-themes/tesla/[/url]
 Description:  tesla child theme
 Author:       huhu
 Author URI:   [url]http://teslathemes.com/[/url]
 Template:     tesla
 Version:      1.0.0
 License:      GNU General Public License v2 or later
 License URI:  [url]http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html[/url]
 Tags:         none
 Text Domain:  tesla-child
*/
div{
	border: 1px solid red;
}
functions.php
code:
<?php
add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'theme_enqueue_styles' );
function theme_enqueue_styles() {
    wp_enqueue_style( 'tesla', get_template_directory_uri() . 'style.css' );

}
?>

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I think you may need to use get_stylesheet_directory_uri(). Phone posting and I can't remember exactly and can't check, but I'd bet you're calling your parent style sheet instead of your child style sheet.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

All right, WPIDE is definitely what I needed for that first hurdle; but now I'm on to something apparently more baffling, but probably more fundamental.

Has anyone worked with Store Locator Plus?

The site I'm working on (having inherited it from someone who is long gone) is using it, and they're complaining that the layout isn't working right on the page in question. I've been dicking around with all the prepackaged layouts (which are all just CSS files from what I can tell), but I have two problems. The first is that the overall layout doesn't seem to obey any of the CSS rules that are defined in any of the layout files; for example, there's one layout called "Beside Myself" which takes the normal 100%-width map and cuts it in half so it can put the list of search results on the right side; but the SLP plugin itself seems to be preventing that from working by inserting a mysterious block inline in the page at the top via a wp_head() call:

code:
<!-- SLP Custom CSS -->
<style type="text/css">
div#map.slp_map {
width:100%;
height:480px;
}
div#slp_tagline {
width:100%;
}
</style>
And I can't for the life of me figure out what is causing that block of code to get generated. I can't find it anywhere in the code files in the "includes" directory, even editing it with WPIDE; and because WPIDE is a dark secret and SLP bills itself as being a simple shortcode-based drop-in thing, I can't imagine it should be this difficult to find basic poo poo like this.

But the more confusing/frustrating thing I've got is this:

This raw { "image": ... } object is showing up in the "slp_bubble_description" div; and here's what the documentation says about the bubble thing:

https://www.storelocatorplus.com/support/documentation/store-locator-plus/user-experience/map/bubble-layout/

I don't know if I'm missing something obvious or what, but where do these options and settings they're talking about go? What file? What am I supposed to edit in order to override the default settings? I can only imagine that there's some file somewhere in the bowels of this site that is overriding the SLP plugin's hooks according to the documentation, but I swear I've looked through every single file in /plugins/store-locator-ie and I can't find anything that describes the bubble options or even seems to be user-serviceable.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I can put together a full listing of all the files I see in the system if that might help (have to do it manually though apparently, since WPIDE doesn't have any kind of export function).

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I've been tasked with creating a simple corporate website so that there is some online presence. So far I believe a single page site will be just fine. I essentially need only a small about us section, contacts etc. I also need a product page that just lists available products based on application. We won't actually be selling through this website as we deal in millions of pounds a year for our customers. It's more for information about what is available etc. I also need a small section on the front page that can easily be updated by even the dumbest of people after minimal instruction. Simple news updates, changing an image on a carousel etc. Seems like it should be easy enough. I've been messing around with wordpress for about a day now and i believe it should provide exactly what I am looking for, but damned if I am not lost navigating through the admin, plugins, etc. What a good resource? I've watched a couple youtube videos of site creation with it, but they are basically relying mostly on stock themes to do everything.

I am using wordpress specifically for this task, as in the near future I need to create another website for a subsidiary where we'll be marketing and selling direct to end consumers and while that site will be e-commerce focused it still needs to be easily updated/edited by dumb people. Should I be looking at a different CMS for all of this?

I was working earlier with a product page trying to set it up and installed Ultimate product catalog plugin, figured it would be an easy way to set up categories for product application that can be searched etc. So I setup a catalogue, a category and added a few test products to the category. Then I embedded the short code into my products page, but it doesn't display anything other than a header and a search box which doesn't find anything. Not sure what I did there, but it's not working. I'd really like to figure this out if anyone can point me in a good direction to learn this poo poo.

I am used to building custom management solutions, but this is more time and cost and effective. The last site update I did have a custom admin for adding/removing products etc, but 90% of the site is static and requires that I update things like images and static section via html, which I am not going to explain to someone that can't use their email efficiently as it is.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

thebushcommander posted:

I've been tasked with creating a simple corporate website so that there is some online presence. So far I believe a single page site will be just fine. I essentially need only a small about us section, contacts etc. I also need a product page that just lists available products based on application. We won't actually be selling through this website as we deal in millions of pounds a year for our customers. It's more for information about what is available etc. I also need a small section on the front page that can easily be updated by even the dumbest of people after minimal instruction. Simple news updates, changing an image on a carousel etc. Seems like it should be easy enough. I've been messing around with wordpress for about a day now and i believe it should provide exactly what I am looking for, but damned if I am not lost navigating through the admin, plugins, etc. What a good resource? I've watched a couple youtube videos of site creation with it, but they are basically relying mostly on stock themes to do everything.

A good resource for what exactly?

If you're building a theme from scratch then http://underscores.me/ is a good starting point.

If you want to start with an existing theme (no point reinventing the wheel in most cases) then http://my.studiopress.com/themes/genesis/ takes care of most of the tricky stuff for you, looks pretty good, and isn't too bloated.

thebushcommander posted:

I am using wordpress specifically for this task, as in the near future I need to create another website for a subsidiary where we'll be marketing and selling direct to end consumers and while that site will be e-commerce focused it still needs to be easily updated/edited by dumb people. Should I be looking at a different CMS for all of this?

I was working earlier with a product page trying to set it up and installed Ultimate product catalog plugin, figured it would be an easy way to set up categories for product application that can be searched etc. So I setup a catalogue, a category and added a few test products to the category. Then I embedded the short code into my products page, but it doesn't display anything other than a header and a search box which doesn't find anything. Not sure what I did there, but it's not working. I'd really like to figure this out if anyone can point me in a good direction to learn this poo poo.

I am used to building custom management solutions, but this is more time and cost and effective. The last site update I did have a custom admin for adding/removing products etc, but 90% of the site is static and requires that I update things like images and static section via html, which I am not going to explain to someone that can't use their email efficiently as it is.

The standard way to do ecommerce on wordpress is the with the woocommerce plugin. Switch to that instead. It's super popular so it's easy to find solutions / tutorials etc. for most conceivable issues.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Is there a guide for how to use Wordpress anywhere? I wanted to make a website so I downloaded Wordpress and now I have a little over a thousand documents in a folder? I'm a bit confused. I registered a domain name and have hosting so I'm not sure what to do next now...?

EDIT: Okay, I am using Lithium Hosting, can someone link me to a decent set of instructions on how to proceed on setting up a blog? I was using the instructions over at the SA blog thread but the steps on what to do pretty much drop off at actually how to use Wordpress and I am lost as hell. I've made around four different accounts on my cPanel on lithium hosting and I don't know what any of them are for. I don't know why I had to download a thousand files for Wordpress, and I don't know why I can't start the program. And I certainly don't know what any of this has to do with the website name I registered and the hosting I bought.

The Unholy Ghost fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 20, 2016

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Is there a guide for how to use Wordpress anywhere? I wanted to make a website so I downloaded Wordpress and now I have a little over a thousand documents in a folder? I'm a bit confused. I registered a domain name and have hosting so I'm not sure what to do next now...?

EDIT: Okay, I am using Lithium Hosting, can someone link me to a decent set of instructions on how to proceed on setting up a blog? I was using the instructions over at the SA blog thread but the steps on what to do pretty much drop off at actually how to use Wordpress and I am lost as hell. I've made around four different accounts on my cPanel on lithium hosting and I don't know what any of them are for. I don't know why I had to download a thousand files for Wordpress, and I don't know why I can't start the program. And I certainly don't know what any of this has to do with the website name I registered and the hosting I bought.

Youtube has a bunch of tutorials on practically everything related to Wordpress, so one of them might be helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QihvpQYOJ04

A different one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqrS1IFCIpY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Sounds like you're in over your head. Wordpress isn't a program that you "start", it's a set of files that sit on your hosting. Lithium will have some kind of "one click install" that will set up Wordpress for you, so you don't need to download it yourself. Once you have access to the Wordpress backend things will be easier - just pick a theme and start adding posts, pages etc.