Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Can I get a few suggestions for the white screen of death?

code:
error_reporting(E_ALL);
@ini_set('display_errors', true);
define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', true);
I have this on but I don't see any errors in my logs or on the screen.

All I see in my Apache access log is:

code:
12.34.56.78 - - [15/Oct/2015:08:59:54 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 224 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64)
 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/45.0.2454.101 Safari/537.36"
And nothing in my error logs.

My php install seems to be okay, I can run phpMyAdmin just fine, as well a base Wordpress install, and the wp-admin/install.php page on this site gives me the "You appear to have already installed WordPress. To reinstall please clear your old database tables first." message. I also made a little dbtest.php with the same user/pass/dbname as in wp-config and it connects successfully.

I've moved a handful of Wordpress/Joomla sites in the past, I'm working from a zip file that a advertising company sent over that went out of business. I imported the MySQL database fine, moved the files over, re-set the permissions.

php version 5.5.9 (it was running on 5.2.17 on the old server)
Wordpress 4.1.7
Apache 2.4.7
mysqld 5.5.44
ubuntu 14.04 server

It was running on GoDaddy before, I'm not sure if there's anything that needs to be changed between a shared environment and running on a Linux VM. I just can't get this fucker to spit out any useful information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fuf posted:

So a fresh WP install works fine?

You could split the migration into two steps: import the DB first and see if the content displays with the default theme, then import the site files. That might help you narrow down the issue.

For the DB: has the URL changed? WP stores the absolute URL in "siteurl" and "home" in wp_options that you might need to update. Themes and plugins sometimes store absolute URLs too so you might want to do a search-replace on the whole DB. An SQL search-replace isn't enough because it can't handle serialised arrays, so you need something like wp-cli or https://interconnectit.com/products/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/

For the site files: are you migrating the WP core from the old site or just the wp-content directory? Try just migrating the theme directory first, then plugins one by one, etc.

Fresh install works fine but if change the wp-config.php to use the imported database, I get the white screen. Should I leave the wp-config.php as is and import the old database into the one I set WP up with when I do the new install?

As far as the URL changing, I did HOSTS file entries on my workstation and the VM to point the IP address of the VPS to xyz.com and https://www.xyz.com should that be enough? The database entries in the options table for siteurl and home both say 'xyz.com'

Blinkz0rz posted:

Try going to $url/index.php. If that works then you have a problem with your .htaccess file.

The archived site uses this for a .htaccess file:

code:
# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress
But right now I'm using the default Wordpress content so there's no .htaccess file and if I go to xyz.com/index.php I get a 301 back to xyz.com

code:
96.36.10.110 - - [15/Oct/2015:11:10:00 -0400] "GET /index.php HTTP/1.1" 301 324 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) "
96.36.10.110 - - [15/Oct/2015:11:10:00 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 321 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64)
There's a note in some export file in the zip where it says the php memory limit is 5000m, wouldn't php give me an error if it ran out of memory?

Edit: just puke me out a drat error message!

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 15, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

fuf posted:

Hmmm you could try but I guess whatever problem in the DB which is causing the white screen will just be copied over too?

There must be a PHP error log somewhere. Try adding this to wp-config.php and check if it generates a debug.log file in wp-content/ :
code:
define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
I got this working somehow. However, I don't get any errors when I get the blank page.

the PHP errors I've gotten are from when I had a typo in a test script:
code:
[15-Oct-2015 13:09:42 America/New_York] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mysiql_connect()
 in /var/www/wptest/dbinfo.php on line 2
[15-Oct-2015 13:10:11 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is
deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /var/www/wptest/dbinfo.php on line 2
This is the only error I've gotten in the wp-content/debug.log

code:
15-Oct-2015 17:28:02 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined offset: 1 in /var/www/wptest/wp-includes/l10n.php on line 945
php is logging - I can make a script with a type in it, and run it, and it's being logged. But WP doesn't generate any logs that I can find.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Your rewrites are hosed. There's no reason whatsoever your site should be giving a permanent redirect. Double check your Apache/Nginx settings.

I had the old .htaccess in there still which was causing that (drat hidden files), I just removed it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Update on where I'm currently at:

I deleted what I had done so far and started over. This time I downloaded Wordpress 4.1.7 which is what the site was running on. Base install works. Changed the database info around to the database that I imported. As soon as I do that, the white screen comes back.

However, this time I was able to login through /wp-admin. I had to change the password of the admin user with MySQL and I am able to get into the dashboard. I can see all the old articles (I mean posts, I'm warped from dealing with Joomla!11) and such. There are 2 plugins but they are both inactive.

Now what? Still no loving errors.

Edit: Oh boy I activated a theme (since the one it was showing as active was blank) and it works! Now I think I just need to copy over the theme from the old site.

Theme is busted somehow. Activating it breaks the site instantly. Live preview doesn't work either. I should be good from here.

"PHP Fatal error: Call-time pass-by-reference has been removed in ... on line 30"

So either hack the theme up or install PHP 5.3...

Fixed that one error and the theme mostly works.

Thanks for the help, Goons.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 15, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

thegasman2000 posted:

I have a html template i need to hack up and make into a wordpress theme... Its pretty simple, and as it's for ebay self contained. http://prestoparts.co.uk/ebay/pp/BestTemplate/index.html

I basically want that, with the content area and sidebar as it is. Whats the easiest way of going about this? I have added my code into an existing theme and it looked great but making the content section work proper is a pain in the rear end... As is the sidebar.

Also what's it likely to cost me to get this done?

someone in India or Muldova on rentacoder/freelancer would probably do it for $15

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

IAmKale posted:

I'm trying to find a simple way to send e-mails from our Wordpress server if the MySQL database goes down.
What does 'goes down' mean, or what is actually happening in your scenario? The MySQL service has stopped on the database server, or you can't connect() to the server?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

edit: poo poo! wrong thread

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 25, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

fuf posted:

Using the "Duplicator" plugin (https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/):
Install plugin on Hosting A
Create site package (something.zip and an installer.php file)
Upload both to portfolio.huhu.com on Hosting B
Navigate to portfolio.huhu.com/installer.php

It's pretty easy to do this and your webhost might even help you out with it if you're a new customer.

The best part is you can use a HOSTS file entry to test your new site before you ever change your DNS settings on your domain to point to your new hosting company

https://secure.revion.com/knowledgebase/29/How-to-use-your-HOSTS-file-to-test-your-webserver-before-DNS-propagation-is-finished.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Has anyone had luck accessing internal WordPress sites using an SSL proxy that runs on a firewall? In this case it's a Fortinet, you log in, and you can click on links to internal resources.

Instead of the url being something like http://intranet01 it becomes http://1.2.3.4:9560/proxy/asfd/intranet01

I think what's happening is WordPress is trying to re-write the URL (since it's expecting it to be http://intranet01), but of course it keeps getting changed by the proxy so this happens 20 times or whatever and then the browser gives an error about too many redirects.

If I use http://intranet01/index.php for my link, the site will mostly work. Some stuff doesn't load, though.

Other internal resources seem to work fine, but they aren't re-writing the URL like WordPress does, and the challenge is trying to fix it without breaking it for regular internal users.

I have the standard .htaccess file, I'm about to fall asleep or I'd try hacking away on it. Not sure what the 'goal' would be though to get WP to leave it alone or if I'm barking up the wrong tree.