Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubblegum Wishes
May 22, 2007

My experience with wordpress is confined to inheriting two blog networks, one was done in wordpress and one in movabletype. Both were built years ago. The wordpress one eventually morphed into the current incarnation of the the production site and was phased out and replaced with ektron. Remnants of it laid around that people refused to part with. There are still templates that take down the production site (like horrible asp.net error pages type take down) if the server cant find them.

Getting legacy spaghetti poo poo piled on top of you takes it tole. I wont even begin to describe the horror of having to move these things from a linux server that it was built to run on to server 08. God I'm giving myself flashbacks now.

Anyway, I'm not with that company anymore. But what I do have is a client that wants me to put in a way they can edit their "About Us" and "Bio" pages. I guess my question is this: How different is the current release of wordpress from what I got at that company? And how friendly is deployment in this scenario?

After what I went through with it my instincts tell me to just write some slick asp.net back end for their site from scratch but logic tells me that other people have created wordpress and other stuff that is more than capable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblegum Wishes
May 22, 2007

jink posted:

Wow! Great looking site, good amount of content. I love the columns.

I am not sure the colors match up to the 'frag file', I didn't think about video games or fragging when I saw it. I thought of peaceful blogging. :D

My design approach to blogs has always been that its job is to sell your blog for exactly a few minutes until they subscribe to it with rss and never look at it again.

This blog makes we want to curl up with a nice cup of tea to read about fragging after a long day of fragging.

Edit: Speaking of which, where is my subscribe button?

Edit2: This is unrelated. Wordpress needs MySQL? Theres no way to get it to use a SQL server?

Bubblegum Wishes fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 15, 2009

Bubblegum Wishes
May 22, 2007

Ned posted:

Wordpress is very simple so it doesn't need a crazy RDBMS to support it. Essentially it has 10 tables and does a lot of caching of data. MySQL is more than enough for Wordpress and way cheaper than SQL server.

Oh I'm a huge fan of MySQL over having to deploy an SQL server any day. Its just that my client already has an SQL server and the IT shop they outsource everything to is being somewhat difficult to work with. It would have just saved me the headache of having to explain why I need MySQL when SQL is already there. I would much rather pick 15 extra hours of work to make something work than 15 extra hours of sitting on the phone with some rear end in a top hat.

Also Guy LeDouche, it looks great.

Bubblegum Wishes
May 22, 2007

Ok, I have a few sort of general questions. Yall have convinced me to use wordpress for the one client I keep talking about.

1) Is there anything I can't do in a wordpress template that I can do with pure html/css? I mean form a site layout perspective.

2) I have several things the client needs to be able to update and several that they do not. Stuff they need to update include their bio's (there's like 4 total), a blog, and an "about us" page. Theres some other pages with directions and stuff that never need to change. In order to build this thing am I better off making each of the bios and stuff a page? I'm reading over all of the wordpress template documentation now so I'm not sure if I'm approaching it correctly yet.

Bubblegum Wishes
May 22, 2007

Guy LeDouche posted:

This quote is too funny to not put up on my site. I hope you don't mind :)

Hehe, go right ahead. I actually really like your site. Its like this snapshot of the current state of the video game industry. And I think we have a pretty similar seance of aesthetics. I'm all for clean layouts and content.

Bubblegum Wishes
May 22, 2007

Ok, I'm officially impressed.

One of my mock-ups was making me wonder if I would be able to even put it into html since it was just me photoshopping pretty stuff together. I decided to try, since its my favorite one, and I decided to do a test run with wordpress.

The html/css took a day and a half, deploying it in wordpress on a server08 box and getting it all going 100% took like two hours. And one hour of that was spent looking at nav plugins.

:)

Bubblegum Wishes
May 22, 2007

Guy LeDouche posted:

cool. screencaps?

I'll post something after its final. The client is a law firm that does business law and they get paranoid about stuff like this.

Bubblegum Wishes
May 22, 2007

Theres some default in wordpress telling it to use the template I have set for the landing page on the blog page. How do I unset that? I want it to use the default page template for the blog. Its set to default now and its picking up the other one. Do I have to create a separate template and explicitly tell it to use that?

edit: Never mind, I'm an idiot. I had it named home.php

Bubblegum Wishes fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 18, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblegum Wishes
May 22, 2007

I have another question. This one is unrelated to the project I've been working on. Is there a way for phpbb and wordpress to use the same users?

I have a client with a site that runs phpbb. The forums are the only part that work, the rest of it is garbage and needs to be rewritten. From everything I've seen wordpress would be great for the rest of it.