Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey guys—veteran web guy here, being thrown some "easy" WP tweaking jobs. Now I have to figure out how to customize extant sites using WP's front-end.

I can do all the back-end and JS code necessary. I just can't figure out where the files actually are.

For example, the site in question is a pretty bog-standard restaurant using the "blankslate" theme. There's a JS file at /wp-content/themes/blankslate/js/ready.js that I need to modify.

If I go to Appearance -> Editor, and then edit Header.php, I see it's referencing the JS file like this:

code:
	<script src="<?php echo get_stylesheet_directory_uri(); ?>/js/ready.js?dm=20130805a"></script>
But for the life of me I don't see where I can get at the actual ready.js so I can monkey with it. There are no JS files listed in the Editor file list, whether under "Templates" or "Styles". I have to assume ready.js is stored somewhere else, like in the theme itself? I don't know how themes work in WP; am I supposed to be able to download the theme as a package and edit/re-upload it?

Not sure where to begin with this, so I'll provide any further details that might help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Okay, so yeah—I didn't know you were supposed to be able to get FTP access on top of the front-end. And of course this customer doesn't seem to have it enabled or something, or at least the same credentials I use to get into the WP admin don't work.

I tried that Advanced Code Editor plugin, but it just adds syntax coloring and editing tools; it doesn't seem to expose any additional files like the ones in /js.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh :hellyeah: That's the stuff. Thanks!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

All right, WPIDE is definitely what I needed for that first hurdle; but now I'm on to something apparently more baffling, but probably more fundamental.

Has anyone worked with Store Locator Plus?

The site I'm working on (having inherited it from someone who is long gone) is using it, and they're complaining that the layout isn't working right on the page in question. I've been dicking around with all the prepackaged layouts (which are all just CSS files from what I can tell), but I have two problems. The first is that the overall layout doesn't seem to obey any of the CSS rules that are defined in any of the layout files; for example, there's one layout called "Beside Myself" which takes the normal 100%-width map and cuts it in half so it can put the list of search results on the right side; but the SLP plugin itself seems to be preventing that from working by inserting a mysterious block inline in the page at the top via a wp_head() call:

code:
<!-- SLP Custom CSS -->
<style type="text/css">
div#map.slp_map {
width:100%;
height:480px;
}
div#slp_tagline {
width:100%;
}
</style>
And I can't for the life of me figure out what is causing that block of code to get generated. I can't find it anywhere in the code files in the "includes" directory, even editing it with WPIDE; and because WPIDE is a dark secret and SLP bills itself as being a simple shortcode-based drop-in thing, I can't imagine it should be this difficult to find basic poo poo like this.

But the more confusing/frustrating thing I've got is this:

This raw { "image": ... } object is showing up in the "slp_bubble_description" div; and here's what the documentation says about the bubble thing:

https://www.storelocatorplus.com/support/documentation/store-locator-plus/user-experience/map/bubble-layout/

I don't know if I'm missing something obvious or what, but where do these options and settings they're talking about go? What file? What am I supposed to edit in order to override the default settings? I can only imagine that there's some file somewhere in the bowels of this site that is overriding the SLP plugin's hooks according to the documentation, but I swear I've looked through every single file in /plugins/store-locator-ie and I can't find anything that describes the bubble options or even seems to be user-serviceable.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I can put together a full listing of all the files I see in the system if that might help (have to do it manually though apparently, since WPIDE doesn't have any kind of export function).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This might help you in the interim:

https://support.managed.com/kb/a683/how-to-modify-your-hosts-file-so-you-can-work-on-a-site-that-is-not-yet-live.aspx

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Uh... what's the last thing that you see on the page? (How do you know it's halfway?)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Recaptcha can be implemented ineffectively. Like if it's using the front-end component only and not doing the server-side validation. Or if the strictness slider is too far to the permissive side.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why not use one of these? https://themeisle.com/blog/wordpress-podcast-plugins/

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What is the generally best-practicey way to do a restaurant site in WP that has an individual page for every location?

The site I'm wrestling with has 21+ locations (and growing worrisomely fast), and every single one of the locations has its own page. The hours and menus and amenities for every location are slightly different, and those hours and menus change often, so every few weeks I'm manually editing every one of those pages individually.

Is there a templating system available that I can use for this? Some way to centrally define bits of data and have all the location pages just read in the specific location's data?

Or am I better off pitching building them an actual custom site with a real self-contained database and ditching WP?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oho! Nice-looking plugin. I'll give that a deeper look.

That and/or "Insert Pages", because ACF requires WP 4+ and I don't think I want to try a major upgrade on this monstrosity I've inherited :doh:

Good call on pushing back on the client in any case. I had just sent off an email that, instead of a proposal/estimate, said "Uh hey so could we maybe group the stores into permanent or semi-permanent categories so we can consolidate their hours a little bit, instead of literally every single one being different? If we don't do that it doesn't matter what technological platform we use, we'll be hunt-and-pecking our way through the updates forever, and it'll just get worse (read: more expensive) the more stores you open"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What are the risks in upgrading WP? Is it fairly foolproof or is there a chance the whole thing will explode and/or the existing plugins will stop working?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It actually looks like I'm on WP 4.3.18, so I (or someone) must have updated it at some point in the past. I think ACF requires 4.4+.

This is where I let slip that I'm very light on WP fundamentals. Is there even a database? How do I get to it? I don't see anything in the toolbar suggesting there is one. The only plugins that use databases store their data in some offsite service.

I mean obviously there is a database underlying it somewhere, but I think this is on wordpress.org (at least, there's a link to wordpress.org in the W menu in the toolbar), so I'm assuming there's just a global instance that this site lives in.

e: Oh wait, I found this https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Backups

e2: ... Which doesn't seem applicable, it's generic. I have no idea what hosting service this thing is running on if not wordpress.org.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 27, 2018