Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Is there a guide for how to use Wordpress anywhere? I wanted to make a website so I downloaded Wordpress and now I have a little over a thousand documents in a folder? I'm a bit confused. I registered a domain name and have hosting so I'm not sure what to do next now...?

EDIT: Okay, I am using Lithium Hosting, can someone link me to a decent set of instructions on how to proceed on setting up a blog? I was using the instructions over at the SA blog thread but the steps on what to do pretty much drop off at actually how to use Wordpress and I am lost as hell. I've made around four different accounts on my cPanel on lithium hosting and I don't know what any of them are for. I don't know why I had to download a thousand files for Wordpress, and I don't know why I can't start the program. And I certainly don't know what any of this has to do with the website name I registered and the hosting I bought.

The Unholy Ghost fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Ok, well I managed to get Wordpress installed through my hosting, and it says that it's been installed on my website, but nothing seems to have changed. When I go to the regular version of the site (the version other people will see), it's still a list of advertisements, and when I go to my admin version it gives me a "No data received" page. Do I need to wait awhile for the installation to be officially finished?

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
OK, well I redirected the addresses, and I even had the site appear about twelve hours later (you can cannot imagine how excited I was) but now it's disappeared again into a "This webpage is not available" screen? I didn't even have the chance to do anything, so I really don't know why this is happening besides some grand conspiracy to make making a blog as difficult as possible...?

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
I'm not really angry about this, when I posted that little "joke" about a conspiracy my head was feeling a bit dizzy. I'm feeling slightly better now.

Well, the site exists now, as in it registers that the domain and the host have found each other— all except that the admin version of the page still does not exist. Literally "404 Not Found"...

Anyway, it's at least a little comforting to get a tiny little bit closer every day. If the page is still missing at 10 tonight (48 hours after figuring out the correct addresses to direct the domain to) I'll try sacrificing an animal. Any suggestions? I'm thinking an old fashioned goat.

EDIT: Hold the horses, or in this case goats— another source I'm researching says it may take up to 72 hours for the DNS to propagate... okay, nevermind, we'll schedule the sacrifice for TOMORROW 10 PM.

The Unholy Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 22, 2016

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Thanks, but the instructions seem to cut off halfway through- after opening the hosts file.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

kedo posted:

Why are you still struggling with this?

https://wordpress.com/website/ <-- Just do that.

I would've but according to the Blog thread here on SA there are huge downsides to using a template like that. I didn't really understand but the instructions to make a blog seemed short and easy anyway, so I just decided to go for the full experience! :shepicide:

It's hard to believe I started working on this on the 19th! How time flies...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

If the domain is now correctly pointed at your host, go ahead and delete everything in your host's /home/[user]/public_html/ folder and try installing WordPress again with the one-click install.

oh my god that worked!!!

Thank you all so far! I will let you know when I've hit the next entertaining roadblock!