Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Shadowstar posted:

Huh? What are the downsides to upgrading core and plugins via the dashboard? Seems a lot quicker and more convenient than FTP, and I'm a developer.

I also prefer to use the updater.

It just downloads the zip file and then copies over existing files. It is good stuff.

Problem with FTP is if one file fails you are kind of screwed if you don't know what file failed. That and it doesn't automatically put it in maintenance mode for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Does none exist as a meta value? If not that query won't return it.

Not really sure about the sorting. Read this I guess - http://wordpress.org/support/topic/admin-column-sorting

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

fuf posted:

Sorry double post.

I don't think this is a question about Roots but maybe I should be asking on that google group.

I'm trying to change the text for the comment-reply-link to something other than "Reply".

There's nothing in the theme, and the only reference I can find is to $reply_text in includes/comment-template.php, but I can't actually see where that is defined. I can get it working by just replacing $reply_text with my new text but that seems like a bad solution because I'm changing stuff outside the theme directory.

How else could I do it?

Stole the answer from here: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/how-to-change-wording-of-leave-a-reply

code:
function comment_reform ($arg) {
$arg['title_reply'] = __('Submit a comment:');
return $arg;
}
add_filter('comment_form_defaults','comment_reform');
Basically you need to apply a filter and that will replace the default text without modifying the core.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Sleepstupid posted:

What's the best way/place to find top notch Wordpress development companies? Long story short, we hired a company to redo our site in Wordpress and everything started out absolutely great, but in the last month or so has done a complete 180 and gone to poo poo. I'm hoping I can find someone else who can step in and "get us across the finish line".

Just googling got me where I am now, so I'd like to avoid that. Not to mention it seems as though when someone says they "make" Wordpress sites, that means they can change themes, and when they say they can customize Wordpress that means they can install pluigins :rolleyes:

I might be able to help you out. Send me a PM.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Lumpy posted:

WP frustrations

I'm not sure if I can help out here because you seem to know what you are doing but my biggest piece of advice is to think to yourself, "What would WordPress do?"

If the code example uses $post_id instead of $post_ID inside the function then just do $post_id rather than $post_ID. I know it sounds stupid but sometimes it might make it work.

Also, you can do:
code:
$x = update_post_meta( $post_ID, 'brr_fb_app_id', $fb_app_id_clean );
print_r($x);
and see what is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

aBagorn posted:

Ok, so on my first day as a non C# specific web developer I was asked to add a custom field to our company's blog comments section on Wordpress. Actually, we want to replace the "Website" field with a "Company" field. Like a dummy I just changed the label, but I can't find where in the PHP that it's formatting that field to a url and cancelling that (plus I should probably be changing it in the database too)

Googling how to do this has been for naught, but I figured goons could help me out here. Using Wordpress 3.5.2 and PremiumPixels theme, if that helps.

You don't want to mess with the DB. That is a big no-no in WordPress development.

http://www.inkthemes.com/how-to-easily-customize-wordpress-comment-form/04/

Read this to learn how to modify the form to enter comments.

Then you just need to remove a filter on the area which is showing the URL.