Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Am I the only one annoyed at the "Enter Title Here" in the new posts now with Wordpress 3.0?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

And many plugins specialized for ads.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Dan Landry posted:

As an update to the initial question I asked:

We've signed up for Twitterfeed and it's been working so far. It's not a WP plugin, but rather an RSS monitoring service that posts updates on your behalf. It's working for both Twitter and Facebook, so we're pretty happy with it.

Most of the Twitter plugins that actually worked broke around 2.8 or so, thanks for this link I'm testing it out as well for my sites.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I'm having some sort of alignment trouble that

So the theme I currently use does this correct alignment:

But the themes I want to use do this (example from TwentyTen):

I am not sure what is going on and why the alignment is off. I don't see anything in the CSS of either theme that would make it go one way or the other as the default. I usually don't do alignment in the html generated tables as I have never needed it before:

code:
<table cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" summary="table border" border="0" align="center">
<tr>
<td bgcolor="#008000">
<table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" bgcolor="#e7efff" summary="" border="2">

<tr>
<td bgcolor="#efefef"></td>
<td bgcolor="#efefef"></td>
</tr>

</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
I am probably missing something pretty simple but I can't get the images or the text in the tables in the misaligned themes to move at all when I mess around with the CSS or try different html tags.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The spacing under the images varies in response to the text on the right side. The text is aligning with the bottom of the image on the left cell for some reason I can't figure out, and it is happening in themes besides twentyten but not all themes. I have tried deleting/altering as much as I could find out of the css sheets, and I'll have another look tomorrow.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

So the tables work fine in IE, but not Firefox like I was using. It may be related to something about how Firefox handles tables, which is a whole new nightmare and I don't know why it works in some themes and not others.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Got it to work in Twenty Ten via changing the img in the CSS to

code:
img {
	background: transparent;
	border: 0;
	margin: 0;
	padding: 0;
	vertical-align:text-top;
}
Not sure if I need the extra stuff, but the vertical-align was what did it.

Now it looks like I can use any theme, so the fun will be whether to use 2010 or the other theme I like as the base when I try to combine them.

Thanks for Firebug, I'll be getting some use out of that and couldn't remember the name of the old Firefox plugin I used for css changing several years ago

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Changing page order is explained here: http://en.support.wordpress.com/pages/page-attributes/

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

tonelok posted:

Twenty Ten Weaver is based on the Twenty Ten theme
Twenty Ten Weaver is really good, I use it since I was just going to hack up the Twenty Ten theme anyway and it saved me time. I haven't messed with the header image yet but everything else I changed was simple (and one of their pre-made themes was close to the colors I was planning on using)

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

My sites got hit via a weakness in the forums this past summer, I have SimpleMachine Forums and someone registered and uploaded a photo for an avatar that was a file that got them access into the directories and malicious code was inserted in wordpress footers. It was all automated scripts and they inserted the hacked php files in several directories, but wiping everything fixed it and they did nothing to the registry I could find. The forums were supposedly protected against that sort of attack but it didn't work. (either that, or they got in through another method that i couldn't identify, but the infected files - c99 - were almost all based in the forums and that's where the logs show the connection attempts go) Though even now seven months later I get thousands of automated attempts to connect with the hacked php files, but the files aren't there so everything just fails. I only use the forums for communicating with my writers anymore so I've shut off new registrations as 90% of them were just spammers anyway. I've heard that some of the third party wordpress plugins have problems from time to time.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

So some of the messages in my spam filter seem to be trying to leave comments on an image file, not a post. I have no idea what is going on, but none have passed Askimet's filter.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I use Flowplayer and a plugin designed for that: http://flowplayer.org/

It's free and I'm cheap.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Jadus posted:

Quick question for those experienced with Wordpress; my site currently displays full posts when you first hit it.

I'd like to change this to Post Previews with the first 200 characters, but in doing so it strips any images nearby those first 200 characters, leaving the post pretty flat looking.

Is there any way to make sure the post preview doesn't exclude images? Google-fu is failing me on this one.

I'm using Mystique theme in case this is theme specific.

Do you mean like the More tag or do you want it to specifically be in the Except section?

Wordpress strips image tags in the except like most tag, but there are a few plugins that used to work that would let you add whatever tags you wanted in the excerpt, but I don't know if they work with Wordpress 3.1

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/excerpt-editor/ is one

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Can't you just replace the original image?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Does anyone have a Facebook Like plugin they use that doesn't cause problems? The update to the one I was using is breaking the Facebook Fan Page embed I have. I was using the one called Wordpress Facebook Like Plugin at this site: http://allanjosephbatac.com/Wordpress-Facebook-Like-Plugin/
Most of the ones I've seen have the same or almost identical names so it is hard to tell which one will work.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I just want a like button that people can click that will share it on Facebook, preferably one that says how many people have liked it. Largely due to that driving traffic better than any other share plugin I've used like Bookmarkify. I don't know why the other one suddenly broke, I gave up on it after spending several hours trying to fix podPress after it broke upon upgrading as well. I've settled for this one: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/fblikebutton/ as it didn't break anything when I installed it and seems to work for now.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

If you hover over edit in the backend you can see the post id numbers

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Do you have a site backup from a few weeks ago where you can pull the already modded theme from?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Daynab posted:

Okay I have two weird as hell problems related to featured images.
One, if I set featured images manually, they get inserted into the post and stretched horizontally to the max.

Is that just with the one theme or all themes? One theme I am working with sets the featured image in the top left corner of the post via default until you turn that off, maybe the images are being displayed by the theme set to a certain aspect ratio.

The Thumbnail Size in your media settings might also be set for a weird aspect ration (default is 150 by 150, IIRC)

Also, are you uploading images solely with the built in image uploader? Most of my images are not uploaded that way due to it being easier to upload via ftp and handcode them in than to deal with the one-at-a-time uploader, but then the images don't show up in any of the backend libraries and I still have to upload the featured image separately. A tool to generate thumbnails might be running into the same problem. Sometimes when I uploaded the image and just selected "use as featured image", it got randomly inserted into the post, but that hasn't happened for a few wordpress updates.

Which tool were you using?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

DNQ posted:

This is probably more of a Facebook question than a Wordpress question, but it's come up in the context of a Wordpress plugin so I will ask here. I have installed a plugin which allows site readers to "like" a page and it will be posted on their facebook page. The only problem is if you like my front-page (http://www.themasterplanblog.com), it shows up on Facebook as "Lithium Hosting - Account Setup" etc. Where is this drawn from? It's a FB thing, I know (it's literally the same as if I type the url in and his post - again it doesn't retrieve the site name properly). Any ideas? It's bugging me! Presumably it's a meta tag somewhere..

I previewed your site as a facebook post and it pulled the normal meta info:

The Masterplan - Opinion and Commentary
http://themasterplanblog.com/

Opinion and Commentary

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Delete the entire wordpress folders (except the wp-content folder, which you should go through manually and reinstall every plugin and themes with the same delete/reinstall, and search through the image uploads for anything suspicious) when you reinstall, they might have a renamed file like 1ndex.php that are disguised files to access your admin folders. When they got mine they put in several fake files thanks to an uploaded image avatar file that got them access (this was through SimpleMachineForums, not wordpress) and the attacks will be automated to recreate the lost files and reinfect the wordpress files if you don't deleted all of the fake ones. They also put fake files in the default wordpress theme that don't get overwritten, and created a new fake theme that had fake files. I think I found 6 bad files when I did a complete scrub. The javascript was hex-encoded IIRC.

There was a plugin that had a security hole last year, so check out the sites related to whatever plugins you use to see if anyone is reporting anything. Wordpress itself is generally secure, but some of the plugins can have problems.

Also search to see if they go into your database. Pray they didn't and hope you have a recent database backup.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Hostgator has better help support and you can call them 24/7, though they may be involved in sketchy stuff. Their servers run slower, especially on the database side which can be bad with certain plugins. They also limit the file listings on ftps to 2000 files which was annoying.

Dreamhost was slightly faster though the server I was on had multiple problems (to the point where someone set up a message board just for those of us trapped on the server!) and I was down for over 50 hours straight once (which made me bail for Hostgator.) They communicated okay but that downtime was too excessive and I had to vote with my wallet.

I wouldn't vote against either one for someone looking for a shared plan, Dreamhost at one point had a killer coupon for new people, but being able to call someone at Hostgator is a big plus.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Bearnt! posted:

No timthumb, really at a lost at this point. The only plugins we use are Contact 7, Google XML Sitemaps, Really Simple Captcha, Wordfence and Wordpress (Yoast) SEO across all sites.

edit: SEO Ultimate is on a few as well

Are you on shared hosting?

Also do you have any other things such as a forum? Because that's how my site got hit a few years ago.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

My login attempts from the botnet have all been for the users "admin" and "sitename" (i.e. sitename being the sitename.com) Delete the admin account if it isn't already, and if you have an account with an identical name as your sitename make sure it has a secure password.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Question Mark Mound posted:

So as long as, during setup, I used a non-standard name for the main admin, I'm probably safe?

You can also use one of the plugins that let you change the location of the admin login page, the site I have that has the page in a different spot has had no login attempts vs dozens on the other sites. Cloudflare also did something to limit attacks, though I use them and there are still attacks happening.

EDIT: You could probably use two-factor authenticating as well, though I have never tried that so I don't know if it is hard to set up or annoying to use.

Tars Tarkas fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 14, 2013

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Iirc there is a plugin that will let you delete images not associated with a post, maybe that will help shrink the size

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Also tell Google you changed your domain name so your rankings don't get slammed too hard - http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=83106

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Are you using podPress, Blubrry, or something else? I was on shared hosting and despite doing all sorts of things to try to cut down on resources, I kept getting suspended and eventually had to run to a VPS (I got a Cyber Monday deal last year, but I'll be looking again this Monday. The cost increase sucks, I am paying almost 3x what I did on shared hosting, but at least I'm not being shut down once a month for being too popular.) podPress uses more resources than shared providers like, especially if people are actually downloading your shows. If you have two popular shows on two separate feeds, that's probably even worse from a webhost's view. In my experience, CPU cycles/RAM are the things the shared host providers care most about you using.

I will assume you are using a cache and move on to other plugin helpers:
P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) will show what plugins are sucking resources
Clean Options and Limit Revisions/WP-Optimize will help cut down database size
Check your logs to make sure you aren't getting requests that are errors (like image files that don't exist)
Shut off the stats plugin in Jetpack (and shut off most of Jetpack, to be honest)
I use CloudFlare to help reduce resources used, though some people don't like them.
Ditch any related post plugins that run off your database and use something like LinkWithin

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Your PMs are full...

I use Google Analytics and Statcounter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I have resent the PM (this is the first time I've seen a PM box full since they upped the limit long ago, but then I don't use them much!)

Statcounter and Google Analytics are mostly external and won't effect your database. Statcounter is good for mostly realtime stats that let you know if you're suddenly a hit on some random site, but they do pick up a bit of noise from webcrawlers and your numbers will be ~10% higher than on Google Analytics. Sitemeter is another free option, though at one time they were installing a tracking cookie or something that was setting off antivirus programs (I also don't like their interface as much) Most shared hosts also have a site stats program in their backend, but those update once a day and I've only found them useful to see which sites are trying to image leech. I do like Jetpack's stats, but when it interferes with your site actually working you should experiment with turning it off to see if it lessens the errors.

There is also the possibility your host has something configured weird/wrong on your shared server, it would not be the first time that's happened and I don't know how you would figure it out.