Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Looks like your htaccess file isn't working or your host doesn't support mod rewrite. If there's a problem in the Wordpress code, you usually get sent to a Wordpress 404 page, but your links are getting sent to your server 404. I could be wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I have not sold any, but I've bought a few from http://themeforest.net/

sim
Sep 24, 2003

A combination of
code:
<? if(is_page('portfolio') || is_category('portfolio') || in_category('portfolio')) ?>
seems like the obvious solution.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Ah sorry, I forgot you are using wp_list_pages to generate your links. Without totally restructuring your content (putting everything in pages under your parent page), the only way I can see is to put an id on a container above your nav with an id of "portfolio" if any of those previous conditionals I posted are true. Then style the correct li differently if its under #porfolio instead of #blog, etc. Or apply the styles after the fact via Javascript.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I find Wordpress 100 times better than EE to develop in and about 20 times easier for the client to use. But, I have yet to settle on a good forum or e-commerce plugin.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

One of the big improvements of Wordpress over EE is that you don't need to remove or setup all of those custom weblog settings.

1. install
2. only plugins I am using so far are Akismet, FD Feedburner, and All in One SEO
3. update your permalinks
4. setup your pages/categories
5. create content

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Yeah 3.0 doesn't seem to break much of anything, unless it relates to the multi-site stuff.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

If you know your way around HTML/CSS it shouldn't be difficult at all. There are also lots of themes with ad spaces built in.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

BorderPatrol posted:

How can I have the latest posts of a single category show up on my Wordpress home page instead of all categories?
http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/query_posts#Category_Parameters

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Ned posted:

Use the css to negative text indent it. Or you can make the text really small and have it be the same color as the background.

Don't do this. Be forewarned that any trick you know of (including CSS hiding) is well known by Google and they most likely penalize for using them. Here's an article from 2005 that quotes a Google employee:

quote:

I don’t recommend that people use CSS to hide text... We can flag text that appears to be hidden using CSS at Google... If you’re straight-out using CSS to hide text, don’t be surprised if that is called spam...

There's also a Google Webmasters Tool help page which says the same thing.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

cocteau posted:

Are there any google-approved alternatives?
Essentially, no. In Google's view, anything that "presents information to search engines differently than to visitors" is "perceived as untrustworthy".

You could hide/move the text via Javascript, but I don't know the extent of how Google tracks/penalizes that kind of thing in comparison to CSS. My suggestion would be to style the tags in such a way that they are palatable to the reader: smaller, out of the way, but still readable text.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Does anyone have experience with, or know of a good resource on custom Wordpress installs? Specifically, modifying the defaults via wp-content/install.php. The Codex is useless and although this article has been a tremendous help, I'm starting to reach the end of the trail.

Currently I'm struggling with how to get the SITE_NAME into a post when the wp_install_defaults function is run. I can insert the content fine, but the site name as entered by the install form is not available to that function for whatever reason.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

muscat_gummy posted:

get_option('whatever')

Thank you! I didn't even realize that get_option would work. This opens up a whole new world of possibilities. In fact... it is kind of scary how quickly you can deploy a fully created site, complete with dynamic variables like "blogname" inside the content.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

There's also http://www.rootstheme.com/

quote:

Roots is a starting WordPress theme made for developers that’s based on HTML5 Boilerplate, Blueprint CSS (or 960.gs) and Starkers that will help you rapidly create brochure sites and blogs.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Anyone have a good tutorial for creating a dynamic, 3 level navigation, using wp_nav_menu()? Each level has different styles and they only show when a parent menu item is active. I understand the basics of the function and all the classes it outputs (.current-page-item, etc.) but I'm hoping for some tips/hand-holding from someone who's done the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Large Hardon Collider posted:

What's a good plugin for allowing users to report comments as inappropriate? All the ones I've found haven't been updated in years and either have very little functionality or don't even work.

I personally use Disqus (and it has that feature), but it might be overkill.

Hopefully this isn't against the rules, but I wanted to cross-post from the jobs thread: my employer is hiring for a web developer position (mostly Wordpress) and I know a lot of you would be a good fit. Location is Austin, TX but we're open to remote workers.