Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I've been tasked with creating a simple corporate website so that there is some online presence. So far I believe a single page site will be just fine. I essentially need only a small about us section, contacts etc. I also need a product page that just lists available products based on application. We won't actually be selling through this website as we deal in millions of pounds a year for our customers. It's more for information about what is available etc. I also need a small section on the front page that can easily be updated by even the dumbest of people after minimal instruction. Simple news updates, changing an image on a carousel etc. Seems like it should be easy enough. I've been messing around with wordpress for about a day now and i believe it should provide exactly what I am looking for, but damned if I am not lost navigating through the admin, plugins, etc. What a good resource? I've watched a couple youtube videos of site creation with it, but they are basically relying mostly on stock themes to do everything.

I am using wordpress specifically for this task, as in the near future I need to create another website for a subsidiary where we'll be marketing and selling direct to end consumers and while that site will be e-commerce focused it still needs to be easily updated/edited by dumb people. Should I be looking at a different CMS for all of this?

I was working earlier with a product page trying to set it up and installed Ultimate product catalog plugin, figured it would be an easy way to set up categories for product application that can be searched etc. So I setup a catalogue, a category and added a few test products to the category. Then I embedded the short code into my products page, but it doesn't display anything other than a header and a search box which doesn't find anything. Not sure what I did there, but it's not working. I'd really like to figure this out if anyone can point me in a good direction to learn this poo poo.

I am used to building custom management solutions, but this is more time and cost and effective. The last site update I did have a custom admin for adding/removing products etc, but 90% of the site is static and requires that I update things like images and static section via html, which I am not going to explain to someone that can't use their email efficiently as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I've never had such a hard time making a decision before. I've been looking at 1000's of e-commerce themes for weeks now. When I finally think I've decided i see like 10 more I like.

How do you do it guys? Right now all I've decided on is using Woocommerce for the shop section.