Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike1o1
Sep 5, 2004
Tiluvas
Hi guys,

Great thread so far. Have learned a lot from going through the posts.

I'm new to WP and php/html/css in general, but I do have programming skills in C based languages, so the logic part I understand.

I'm working on helping a friend move from a generic blogger blog to a more official looking web-site for his web-site and podcast. After tons of googling, I decided to start off with a base theme using Thematic. Is that still the suggested approach for writing custom themes? I'm having a hard time keeping things straight as when I do web-searches there is a lot of old and conflicting information out there that seems to change quite a bit between WP versions.

I ripped out the thematic loop and replaced it with my own, where I have php code interspersed with hand-coded html and divs for formatting how articles are meant to be displayed on the main blog page.

I'm wondering if this was the correct approach? I keep reading that the best part of thematic is all the hooks and actions, but I feel like I'm not utilizing any of that and instead I'm just writing my own. I'm a bit worried it might come back to bite me or that I might have to rewrite a lot of code.

What exactly are filters used? Say for example, if I want a new post to appear a certain way on index.php then I write my own filter for how articles are displayed and then that gets re-used on the main loop, search results, category lists, etc.? I'll admit I'm having trouble grasping the concept of filters and actions.

I've only been working on the main page right now - I haven't really even touched how single posts look like, or author pages or anything else. I've spent a lot of time setting up a custom options page for my child theme, and write my own custom widget which displays the most recent podcast. Originally I just yanked out the sidebar loop and hand-wrote my own which made me think I was wasting time, and have since replaced that piece with my own widget.

The work in progress page is https://www.mike1234.com/blog - again, just the main page is what I've been working with so far, I haven't touched single.php or anything yet. Any feedback is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike1o1
Sep 5, 2004
Tiluvas
I've been working on a simple child theme and I'm trying to make some of my posts a little bit cleaner by not displaying comments when the user views a single post, unless the user specifically went to the_comments url. I'm not really sure how to do this, though.

I know I can use comments.php to modify how the comments are displayed, but I'm not sure what I need to do on single.php. Do I need to use some conditional code to analyze the incoming URL and if "?comments" is in the URL, then display and format the comments?

Also, I'm using the Disqus plugin, but I don't think that should change a simple on/off display switch based on the URL.

I'm not very familiar with PHP, so would appreciate some guidance on whether or not this is the right path to take.

Thanks!

Mike1o1
Sep 5, 2004
Tiluvas

Ned posted:

There is a global called $paged that will tell you what page of comments is being requested. Check that in your single.php and modify the output accordingly.

This value always seems to be 0, but I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly - I'm not very good with PHP.

What I did to see what the value contains is I added $paged = get_query_vars['paged']; and then did a simple 'echo $paged' somewhere in my single.php function. Doing so outputs 0 every time. Note that none of my comments exceed more than 1 page of comments, though, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Basically, what I want to do is if the user visits the comments url (i.e. http://www.blah.com/2011/07/12/my-post-name/#comments) then the comments are displayed. If they are just viewing the post url (i.e. http://www.blah.com/2011/07/12/my-post-name/) then the comments aren't displayed, and instead a link is shown.

I'm thinking that since the #comments is just an anchor, and is client side, it isn't being processed by the server, so I have no way of analyzing that server side.

Perhaps I need to add some additional code to add a ?comments=true custom variable to the URL and read it that way?

Mike1o1
Sep 5, 2004
Tiluvas

Kitsch! posted:

Can anyone recommend any paid Worpdress templates that offer decent support (forums or otherwise)? I've been using free themes so far but unfortunately, whenever something inevitably goes awry I've had to rely on my very limited CSS knowledge to try to fix things (which usually ends up making things worse and breaking the site).

I've been looking at Simple Themes (http://www.simplethemes.com/wordpress-themes/), but I'm kind of hesitant about purchasing one and wondering if it's even worth it. I basically need something for a blog format that's simple but somewhat customizable.

I've been using http://themeshaper.com/thematic/, it's free and has a ton of customization and flexibility for creating child themes. They have forums and a wiki as well, though the wiki is fairly incomplete.

I think the default Twenty Eleven is just as simple and flexible for creating child themes these days, though.

I also found that CSS is really easy to learn, all I've been doing is using the Inspect Element feature of Chrome and Firebug on existing sites to figure out what they're doing.