Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

I'm currently trying to get a business started designing websites for a particular business sector. The websites basically want quite a large amount of static information, but I'd quite like the end users to be able to edit stuff and have a blog as well if they want to, so have decided to approach this using Wordpress (I work in the business sector, have dabbled with website stuff over the years but am effectively learning from scratch).

I'm just wondering what people think would be the best way of doing this before I start creating hundreds of pages so I don't have to go back and change loads of stuff later.

Essentially it's a resource area for clients of the businesses, and within that area there's maybe 8 different categories. Within each of these there's up to another 10 or so sub-categories and then within that there's another 10 or so individual pages with the content relating to that sub-category.

I haven't entirely decided how I want users to navigate it yet either - I think Resources will likely be a main menu item, but whether I have a drop down for the first 8 categories from that and then the rest of the navigation within those first 8 pages or something else I'm not 100% sure.

Following on from that, the static content that I create will be relevant to every site I design, and will be one of the main selling points, so I will be aiming to roll it out on each site I do. With that in mind, is there a best way to do this or would it be a case of moving the database etc. onto each server and applying whatever theme I design for the client from there?

I'm still getting to grips with themes and Wordpress itself but I want to be giving consideration to how I'll be adding content to the site when I'm designing themes, so any thoughts/help/advice will be appreciated.

Also if anyone has any recommendations on books/tutorials particularly on the theming side I would appreciate that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

Twiin posted:

If you want the end users to be able to edit hundreds of pages, I would recommend a wiki.

I got my terms messed up there - I meant whoever at the firms I would be selling to was tasked with looking after the website (posting their own news items etc) rather than the eventual end users.

So giving them the option to edit any content, maybe tailor anything particularly specific to their firm etc, would be nice, but not let it be freely edited by anyone.

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

We're looking to run a competition on our website where users can predict the scores of upcoming football matches, I've been searching around trying to find something that will fit what we want to do but am possibly not going for the correct search terms.

What we're after is something like the plugin here but rather than being sent to another page to login/register, we'd like that to be on the same page so if it's a new member they can register at the same time as entering, or an existing member can enter their login details and submit (or if they're already logged in just submit the form).

I'm not great at the technical stuff so while I can get by I wouldn't even know where to start editing stuff for the plugin above. I've also been looking at competition plugins because all we really need is 10 fields that members can enter a number in and then submit in the way above but still haven't seen anything that allows users to register/login and submit all on the one page.

Does anyone know any plugin that sounds like it might do the job here? Doesn't matter if it's paid or free, just want to know if it's possible relatively easily before we make do with the linked plugin.