Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I'd like to mirror a wordpress site on a local machine so I can fiddle with it without fear of destroying anything. My initial plan was to install Akeeba Backup to do it for me, but apparently the webhost's PHP version is too old (5.2.17), so that's a no-go.

Is there another plugin you could suggest? Backup/restorey stuff for mirroring. Or another approach altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

fuf posted:

Duplicator is a badass plugin that was recommended in this thread and which I now use all the time. It's super slick.
(dunno what version of php it needs though)

FAQ says 5.3. God drat it. :(

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

fuf posted:

oh that's a shame. You could try this method by rt4 a few pages back describing how to clone a WP install:

Yeah, was hoping for something less fiddly. :(

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I'm considering making a tag widget that would allow a visitor to click a tag to add it to the currently displayed list of posts, and click an active tag to remove it, etc, allowing for filtering freely on multiple tags.

My problem is that I can't figure out how to make Wordpress produce a permalink out of multiple active tags and categories. Any suggestions?

Example:
Visitor on page foo.com/category/shoes/tag/red,blue/
Clicks tag blue
Visitor now shown foo.com/category/shoes/tag/red/
Clicks tag green
Visitor now shown foo.com/category/shoes/tag/red,green/

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Data Graham posted:

But for the life of me I don't see where I can get at the actual ready.js so I can monkey with it. There are no JS files listed in the Editor file list, whether under "Templates" or "Styles". I have to assume ready.js is stored somewhere else, like in the theme itself? I don't know how themes work in WP; am I supposed to be able to download the theme as a package and edit/re-upload it?

Files inside subfolders (like /js/ here) don't show up in the default editor in Wordpress, so you'll either have to get at them directly through FTP or by using special plugins, I believe.

Edit: Actually, subfolders doesn't seem to be the issue exactly, but filetypes?

darkgray fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 30, 2015

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Okay, so yeah—I didn't know you were supposed to be able to get FTP access on top of the front-end. And of course this customer doesn't seem to have it enabled or something, or at least the same credentials I use to get into the WP admin don't work.

I tried that Advanced Code Editor plugin, but it just adds syntax coloring and editing tools; it doesn't seem to expose any additional files like the ones in /js.

Yeah, I'm sorry. I looked at the fancy tutorial video they had on display, and it showed him editing javascript files in subfolders, but it turns out it only does this for plugins, not themes.

What you can do instead is install the plugin WPide. It won't make the default code editor any more useful, but it adds an entirely new editor in the side menu (<> WPide) that has its own file browser, where you can finally edit any file you want. Hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Is there a guide for how to use Wordpress anywhere? I wanted to make a website so I downloaded Wordpress and now I have a little over a thousand documents in a folder? I'm a bit confused. I registered a domain name and have hosting so I'm not sure what to do next now...?

EDIT: Okay, I am using Lithium Hosting, can someone link me to a decent set of instructions on how to proceed on setting up a blog? I was using the instructions over at the SA blog thread but the steps on what to do pretty much drop off at actually how to use Wordpress and I am lost as hell. I've made around four different accounts on my cPanel on lithium hosting and I don't know what any of them are for. I don't know why I had to download a thousand files for Wordpress, and I don't know why I can't start the program. And I certainly don't know what any of this has to do with the website name I registered and the hosting I bought.

Youtube has a bunch of tutorials on practically everything related to Wordpress, so one of them might be helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QihvpQYOJ04

A different one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqrS1IFCIpY