Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«315 »
Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

There's probably a cheap stabilized body to be had cheap from one of these, actually. Without a tripod, I'd take that over the Nikon/Canon entry level for macro.

Not to mention weather sealing on many Pentax bodies which can be a boon when shooting outdoors in so-so conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

I guess I'm officially a hipster enjoyable human being now. I bought a Yashica GSN off of eBay. It had a couple of minor problems, but a quick trip inside the camera and a visit to the spare parts bin fixed that.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

What bags/backpacks do you guys use? I currently have one of the lower end Lowepro backpacks (the Fastpack 200 if I recall correctly), and it's pretty good, but I have 5 lenses now, and it's a little small. I've been looking at the Lowepro SlingShot 300 AW or 350 AW. They both look pretty solid, hold lots of lenses, and provide easier/quicker access without having to take the backpack off. http://www.amazon.com/Kata-KT-D-3N1...E/ref=pd_cp_p_2 also looks pretty sweet, and what's neat about it is that it can be used as either a sling or a backpack.

What do you guys recommend? I'm not entirely settled on the sling vs backpack either. I like that some backpacks have spots for tripods which could definitely be handy.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at Jul 5, 2009 around 00:29

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

To be honest, I don't even use a bag. I generally only need one lens for what I have in mind, and if I should need more coverage, I just carry two bodies. A lens stuck in a bag is pretty useless to me.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

Fangs404 posted:

What bags/backpacks do you guys use? I currently have one of the lower end Lowepro backpacks (the Fastpack 200 if I recall correctly), and it's pretty good, but I have 5 lenses now, and it's a little small. I've been looking at the Lowepro SlingShot 300 AW or 350 AW. They both look pretty solid, hold lots of lenses, and provide easier/quicker access without having to take the backpack off. http://www.amazon.com/Kata-KT-D-3N1...E/ref=pd_cp_p_2 also looks pretty sweet, and what's neat about it is that it can be used as either a sling or a backpack.

What do you guys recommend? I'm not entirely settled on the sling vs backpack either. I like that some backpacks have spots for tripods which could definitely be handy.

the tiniest tamrac backpack; the explorer 71, i think. It was cheap and I don't have a lot of gear.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Fangs404 posted:

I use the Tenba Medium Shootout Backpack when I go traveling. It's small enough for carry-on, extremely durable, very comfortable with a waist support, and big enough for three lenses (including a Sigma 70-200 2.8), battery grip, flash plus clothes for a warm destination. Hell, it'd probably do a colder (below freezing) destination as well, you'd just have to carry a good jacket on your person. It's much bigger than the Slingshot backpacks, however, enough to be unwieldy at times, but it can weigh a lot more and still be comfortable to use. I was in SE Asia with this backpack for two months, and picked up a tiny shoulder bag on the way.

Also for traveling and for general use back home, I use NetGeo NG2475 shoulder bag. Get rid of the National Geographic logo, and it looks nicely faded and cheap. A good amount of small compartments, and even fits A4 sized sheets, and a 10" laptop.

Besides these two, I have a tiny shoulder bag for two lenses and a single body, which also fits inside my Tenba backpack. Then I have another shoulder bag when I actually need to look presentable and carry a camera with me.

e: \/\/\/\/ That is actually very true, though I can't really remember what the other version is called. I got the NG one because of employee discounts.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at Jul 5, 2009 around 14:53

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If I remember right you can buy the same bag without the logo for quite a bit less money.

Hat Box
Dec 1, 2007

by Livestock

Having kind of a weird situation with my nifty fifty and D70... Seemingly at random the body and lens won't communicate anymore and I get a F-- error. After taking the lens off and putting it back on between 1 and 20 times it'll start reading it again. I've taken the lens off and put it on other bodies and it's been fine, and I've put other lenses on the body and it didn't give the error. I've tried cleaning the contacts as well as holding both the green buttons to reset and it hasn't helped, and it really seems to be happening at random. Am I loving up something really obvious or do I need to send them both in at some point?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

Hat Box posted:

Having kind of a weird situation with my nifty fifty and D70... Seemingly at random the body and lens won't communicate anymore and I get a F-- error. After taking the lens off and putting it back on between 1 and 20 times it'll start reading it again. I've taken the lens off and put it on other bodies and it's been fine, and I've put other lenses on the body and it didn't give the error. I've tried cleaning the contacts as well as holding both the green buttons to reset and it hasn't helped, and it really seems to be happening at random. Am I loving up something really obvious or do I need to send them both in at some point?
Is your aperture set and locked to 22? The aperture ring needs to be set to its highest number (lowest aperture) when you use it on that camera. Sounds like you don't have the little lock switch in place, so as you carry and use the kit, you're twisting it unknowingly, and occasionally getting it where it should be while unmounting and mounting the lens, which is why it suddenly works sometimes. Nothing is malfunctioning.

It should be set and locked to 22. The lock is the little orange/red dotted thing underneath the "D" in "1:1.8 D." The lock should only come off when using it on film cameras that require setting aperture by the ring rather than in-camera. Sorry if you already know all this, just covering all the bases.

edit: This is assuming you have the AF-D version. The same advice applies to the original AF version, though the lock is different.

pwn fucked around with this message at Jul 5, 2009 around 12:11

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

To be honest, I don't even use a bag. I generally only need one lens for what I have in mind, and if I should need more coverage, I just carry two bodies. A lens stuck in a bag is pretty useless to me.

I had thought about this, but on my last trip to Chicago, I brought all 5 of my lenses thinking it was gonna be overkill, but I wound up using 4 of them. To me, it was worth it just to stop, go over to a bench, and swap lenses. I definitely realize a lot of people won't want to do that.

mackd717 posted:

the tiniest tamrac backpack; the explorer 71, i think. It was cheap and I don't have a lot of gear.

DanTheFryingPan posted:

I use the Tenba Medium Shootout Backpack when I go traveling. It's small enough for carry-on, extremely durable, very comfortable with a waist support, and big enough for three lenses (including a Sigma 70-200 2.8), battery grip, flash plus clothes for a warm destination. Hell, it'd probably do a colder (below freezing) destination as well, you'd just have to carry a good jacket on your person. It's much bigger than the Slingshot backpacks, however, enough to be unwieldy at times, but it can weigh a lot more and still be comfortable to use. I was in SE Asia with this backpack for two months, and picked up a tiny shoulder bag on the way.

Also for traveling and for general use back home, I use NetGeo NG2475 shoulder bag. Get rid of the National Geographic logo, and it looks nicely faded and cheap. A good amount of small compartments, and even fits A4 sized sheets, and a 10" laptop.

Besides these two, I have a tiny shoulder bag for two lenses and a single body, which also fits inside my Tenba backpack. Then I have another shoulder bag when I actually need to look presentable and carry a camera with me.

e: \/\/\/\/ That is actually very true, though I can't really remember what the other version is called. I got the NG one because of employee discounts.

Thanks you guys! I'm probably actually going to buy 1 more than. Something like that Tenba backpack looks really badass for travel, and something like that NG bag would be awesome for stuff closer to home as you said. I might even wind up buying the cheapest sling bag I can find for close to home stuff.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I have both a backpack and a shoulder bag (both by crumpler), and I definitely use both.

Educated Eggdicator
Sep 4, 2006

Does anyone know what the odds are of getting a bad Sigma lens? I'm thinking of picking up the 10-20 off of B&H, but I live in Canada so it would be a real hassle to get one of the lenses that front/back-focuses and have to return it. I'd buy from a local retailer, but it's actually $300 CAD cheaper to buy it new online.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Educated Eggdicator posted:

Does anyone know what the odds are of getting a bad Sigma lens? I'm thinking of picking up the 10-20 off of B&H, but I live in Canada so it would be a real hassle to get one of the lenses that front/back-focuses and have to return it. I'd buy from a local retailer, but it's actually $300 CAD cheaper to buy it new online.

http://www.photoprice.ca/product/00280

You're looking at maybe just $60 cheaper according to that if you live in Ontario. If I remember correctly, you get the ridiculous 10 year warranty if you buy it in Canada, and only 1 year if you buy it in the States.

Edit: Your profile location says NS, and according to that page, you're only going to be saving about $10.

CanuckBassist fucked around with this message at Jul 5, 2009 around 22:25

Educated Eggdicator
Sep 4, 2006

CanuckBassist posted:

You're looking at maybe just $60 cheaper according to that if you live in Ontario. If I remember correctly, you get the ridiculous 10 year warranty if you buy it in Canada, and only 1 year if you buy it in the States.

Edit: Your profile location says NS, and according to that page, you're only going to be saving about $10.

It's about $750 CAD plus tax at the store here in Halifax, so I'd still be saving at least a hundred by buying online.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Educated Eggdicator posted:

It's about $750 CAD plus tax at the store here in Halifax, so I'd still be saving at least a hundred by buying online.

I didn't say don't buy it online. I was saying you should considering buying from a Canadian store instead of B&H for the 9 extra years of warranty. Returns/exchanges will also be a lot easier with a Canadian store.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

CanuckBassist posted:

My god, this website is amazing. I wish I'd had it earlier...

Educated Eggdicator
Sep 4, 2006

CanuckBassist posted:

I didn't say don't buy it online. I was saying you should considering buying from a Canadian store instead of B&H for the 9 extra years of warranty. Returns/exchanges will also be a lot easier with a Canadian store.

Do you know of a decent Canadian-based online store for lenses and camera stuff? Everything I've looked at so far usually costs more than the US sites and the shipping is the same because their warehouses are based out west.

Edit: Never mind, gotcha.

Hat Box
Dec 1, 2007

by Livestock

pwn posted:

Is your aperture set and locked to 22? The aperture ring needs to be set to its highest number (lowest aperture) when you use it on that camera. Sounds like you don't have the little lock switch in place, so as you carry and use the kit, you're twisting it unknowingly, and occasionally getting it where it should be while unmounting and mounting the lens, which is why it suddenly works sometimes. Nothing is malfunctioning.

It should be set and locked to 22. The lock is the little orange/red dotted thing underneath the "D" in "1:1.8 D." The lock should only come off when using it on film cameras that require setting aperture by the ring rather than in-camera. Sorry if you already know all this, just covering all the bases.

edit: This is assuming you have the AF-D version. The same advice applies to the original AF version, though the lock is different.

Yeah I knew that, and it gives an F EE error if that is the problem, not F--. F-- specifically means the lens is not communicating with the camera.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

I just noticed that on my Nikon 50mm f/1.8, on the outer ring of the lens when you look into it (where it says "AF Nikon; 50mm 1:1.8D; Nikon"), the part that says "Nikon" is completely upside down. Is this normal? Of course it doesn't affect anything but I guess it bothers me now that I've noticed it and I can't unsee it, like the FedEx arrow.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Fangs404 posted:

I had thought about this, but on my last trip to Chicago, I brought all 5 of my lenses thinking it was gonna be overkill, but I wound up using 4 of them. To me, it was worth it just to stop, go over to a bench, and swap lenses. I definitely realize a lot of people won't want to do that.

Out of curiosity, what did you use?

Last I traveled I had the 1Ds2 with 15-30 and 10D with 35/2. The 15-30 handled all the wide stuff, the 35/2 on the crop body all the normal (and at f/2 good enough for low light).

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

Alctel posted:

My god, this website is amazing. I wish I'd had it earlier...

loving rights, that site is great. You rule CanuckBassist!

Also, I have had my 55-250mm f4-5.6 lens for a couple weeks and have gotten some good shots but for the most part the subjects seem a bit blurry (especially noticeable on faraway subjects like birds). Is this to be expected? I mean, it is a cheaper lens so maybe I am expecting too much, but would the 70-200mm 4L be much better? This is on a T1i.

Examples of what I am talking about here, here and here

pwn
May 27, 2004

Hat Box posted:

Yeah I knew that, and it gives an F EE error if that is the problem, not F--. F-- specifically means the lens is not communicating with the camera.
Well drat. No idea, call Nikon?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Out of curiosity, what did you use?

Last I traveled I had the 1Ds2 with 15-30 and 10D with 35/2. The 15-30 handled all the wide stuff, the 35/2 on the crop body all the normal (and at f/2 good enough for low light).

I have a Rebel XSi, and I used my Sigma 10-20mm ultra wide, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm macro, and 55-250mm IS telephoto. The only lens I own that I didn't use was my 18-55mm kit lens.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

pwn posted:

Well drat. No idea, call Nikon?

Good insight there, strong work.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

advion posted:

Good insight there, strong work.

You too.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/r...66&changemode=1
According to this, it's a problem with the pins in the lens mount not springing into place. If you've had your d70 for a while (and I bet you have) it's only going to get worse. You can try just continually reseating your lens. I am also willing to bet that the repair will be rather expensive.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Can anyone recommend a decent reasonably priced softbox for a hot shoe flash?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

"I am the modding."

Iron Squid posted:

If this is the question you were asking in #c, I don't think you're going to find one as big as you want. The biggest I've seen is the Lastolite Ezybox, which is at most 16"x16" (I'm not sure exactly). I have the Photoflex knockoff of it, it's pretty good. Other than that it's Lumiquest-type stuff.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Iron Squid posted:

http://www.alzodigital.com also. They have the lastolite knock off for much cheaper.

KennyG posted:

You too.

The idea is that pwn comments on practically every post in these threads even when he doesn't have the answer. Posting frequently just to say "I don't know" is annoying.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at Jul 6, 2009 around 22:48

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

So I'm back up in the game
Running things to keep my swing
Letting all the people know
That I'm back to run the show

CanuckBassist posted:

Let me clarify that I am still an amateur and this is still my first year of photography. But I was wondering,

10 years of lens warranty sounds great, but what does the official warranty actually cover? Don't think dust or mold in lens would be covered. Autofocusing issues would probably be covered by a recall or service fix like the 5Dii. There seems to be not much to repair for lens because it is mechanically much simpler than a body and recoating the lens with the chemicals seems to be too expensive to cover.

Only thing I can think of canon is willingly to fix within the warranty is the FF error on the bodies. It would be great if someone can enlighten me on this subject.

pwn
May 27, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

The idea is that pwn comments on practically every post in these threads even when he doesn't have the answer. Posting frequently just to say "I don't know" is annoying.
Except I had already engaged in a dialogue with Hat Box. They asked a question, I gave a possible solution, they confirmed it was no dice, I responded, end of discussion (until now.) I didn't come out of the blue and say "No idea."

Hot Dog Day #20
May 5, 2004
:|

I'm looking to upgrade to a DSLR, and I'm trying to put continuous shooting in perspective. Would anyone here feel limited by a 3fps shooting rate? I like the Pentax K20D: it has a 15mp sensor which is nice because i like to crop my images, it has in-body stabilization which is nice because i have a bag of old m42-mount and k-mount lenses that would benefit from it, and its one of the cheaper cameras in its class. But, the Canon 40D shoots twice as fast. Would it be a good idea to pay more for that, or is that in the realm of diminishing returns for someone not interested in sports photography?

treble
Feb 14, 2001

Hot Dog Day #20 posted:

I'm looking to upgrade to a DSLR, and I'm trying to put continuous shooting in perspective. Would anyone here feel limited by a 3fps shooting rate? I like the Pentax K20D: it has a 15mp sensor which is nice because i like to crop my images, it has in-body stabilization which is nice because i have a bag of old m42-mount and k-mount lenses that would benefit from it, and its one of the cheaper cameras in its class. But, the Canon 40D shoots twice as fast. Would it be a good idea to pay more for that, or is that in the realm of diminishing returns for someone not interested in sports photography?

I personally find 3-4 fps more than adequate for general use, and even some sports photography. It really depends on your type of shooting though. I'd still say go with the Canon over the Pentax, but for reasons other than the fps factor. Again, that's just personal preference

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

treble posted:

I personally find 3-4 fps more than adequate for general use, and even some sports photography. It really depends on your type of shooting though. I'd still say go with the Canon over the Pentax, but for reasons other than the fps factor. Again, that's just personal preference

The K20D is far better (ergonomics, image quality) than the 40D unless you are doing action shooting. If things move and you need fast AF, Canon all the way.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004

I did a lot of shooting this weekend on vacation. I picked up a canon ef-s 10-22 off ebay before I went. I like the amount of image the lens captures, but it makes details so so so so small. I was tossing around selling it and getting the Tamron 17-50, but I am thinking more about selling my macro lens. I rarely use it (ef-m 100mm f/2.8) and could use the tamron in more situations.

What would you guys do? How often is a lens like the 10-22 used (I am doing outdoor/nature [not animals yet] stuff). The macro lens is great, but I find myself not having the time to constantly setup the tripod, etc etc etc.

The only other lenses I have are the 50 1.8 and the kit 18-55 IS. So sell the macro or the ultra wide, or both? I am shooting with the Rebel XS.

TOO MANY CHOICES.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I did a lot of shooting this weekend on vacation. I picked up a canon ef-s 10-22 off ebay before I went. I like the amount of image the lens captures, but it makes details so so so so small. I was tossing around selling it and getting the Tamron 17-50, but I am thinking more about selling my macro lens. I rarely use it (ef-m 100mm f/2.8) and could use the tamron in more situations.

What would you guys do? How often is a lens like the 10-22 used (I am doing outdoor/nature [not animals yet] stuff). The macro lens is great, but I find myself not having the time to constantly setup the tripod, etc etc etc.

The only other lenses I have are the 50 1.8 and the kit 18-55 IS. So sell the macro or the ultra wide, or both? I am shooting with the Rebel XS.

TOO MANY CHOICES.

Ahhhh give the 10-22 a chance if you've only had it for a weekend! It's such an incredible lens. I couldn't live without it. 'Outdoor/nature' can mean a lot of things, but if you think you'll be doing landscapes, keep it around. And it doesn't always have to make details small... it has a short focusing distance, try getting close to something and play with perspective distortion.

The Tamron is basically the same zoom range as the lens you already have. You'd be gaining clarity and a few stops (which is definitely great), but losing out on a huge zoom range (the difference between 10 and 17mm is huge).

If I was in your situation, I'd get rid of the kit lens and the macro if you don't use it - and get the Tamron (to replace the kit, basically)... but keep the 10-22. Then if you want to play with macro, get a Kenko tube set for your 50 1.8.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

caberham posted:

10 years of lens warranty sounds great, but what does the official warranty actually cover?

I think the biggest one would be autofocus. It can definitely fail over time, and the warranty should cover it. Resale value is also higher with warranty if you want to upgrade in the future.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

10-22...
TOO MANY CHOICES.

I second giving the 10-22 some more time. Try to rethink how you use it. Try to not consider it as a capture-everything lens, and play with the perspective a little. It's a lot of fun to use with big buildings/statues once you get up close, or even just blowing up a fire hydrant super big in the photo.

The 22mm end is 35mm in full frame equivalent field of view, so I sometimes just use it as a walkaround lens. At one point, I had both the Tamron 17-50 and the Canon 10-22, but I found it a little redundant, so I sold the 17-50 for a fast prime (sigma 30).

CanuckBassist fucked around with this message at Jul 7, 2009 around 05:55

Hat Box
Dec 1, 2007

by Livestock

KennyG posted:

You too.

According to this, it's a problem with the pins in the lens mount not springing into place. If you've had your d70 for a while (and I bet you have) it's only going to get worse. You can try just continually reseating your lens. I am also willing to bet that the repair will be rather expensive.

That is terrible

At least all of my other lenses work I suppose. Thanks for the link, I had already googled around a bit and all I found were people being as confused about it as I was.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

KennyG posted:

You too.

This is exactly right. $200 to repair.

I used to work for a company that had about 60 D70 bodies all bought at the same time about four years ago. They all started failing while I was there and I sent a lot out for repairs with either the 'CHA' card reader error or the lens mount issue.

DO NOT repair it. Every camera I sent for repair had the same error within a few months or had another problem. Buy a new camera.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DPreview has a review of the Oly 620 up. Interesting because the Pen has the same sensor.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at Jul 7, 2009 around 13:26

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004

I have been convinced, I knew you guys would have some good advice. Macro is up for sale, 10-22 is a keeper.

Also, is the kit lens one that I can part with pretty easily, or is it going to take alot of time due to its reputation?

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at Jul 7, 2009 around 14:14

«315 »