Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«315 »
Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Falken posted:

Now that my D200 is on the way, I'll be getting the reccomended Tamron lens too.

Something else i'll certainly need is a good flashgun. I'll be using this thing alot in nightclubs and other darker envionments so I'd like a flashgun that'll not be sat around waiting to charge up for the next shot. Ideas?

What's the budget? You could get a flashgun and external battery pack with near-instant recycle, but that'll cost you. The SB800 has an included add on to fit 5 batteries, get some high mAh rechargeable batteries, and it should do you fine.

The less expensive sb600 doesn't have that iirc, but the newer and more expensive SB900 might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome.

Awesome to
the MAX.

pwn posted:

That guy is an idiot pixel-peeper.

Idiot pixel peeper or not, it at least seems plausible to me that that having the film elevated could let it be bent or distorted a little, where lying it flat on the glass might make for a better scan. Definitely not arguing that he's right, but there's really not much to lose by giving it a shot

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Idiot pixel peeper or not, it at least seems plausible to me that that having the film elevated could let it be bent or distorted a little, where lying it flat on the glass might make for a better scan. Definitely not arguing that he's right, but there's really not much to lose by giving it a shot

A scanner in this price range / category is not going to be calibrated perfectly from the factory, and yes, the film bending a bit will screw with things.

If you really want to tweak the scanner, go to http://www.betterscanning.com/ and check out their stuff.

It's possible that a 4490 will produce better results with stuff like that, but I really don't think that it can be enough to get decent prints from 35mm based on what I've seen with mine (and I have tried doing the film against the glass thing and some other stuff).

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Educated Eggdicator posted:

So I've decided to upgrade from my Rebel XS to something a little beefier, but I'm not quite sure which camera to upgrade to. Right now, my choices are the Canon 50D or 500D, and the Nikon D90 or D5000. The reason I am considering everything other than the 50D is because of the video option in the other 3 cameras. I already own a Canon HV20, but would probably sell it if the video performance of my DSLR was decent enough.

Does anyone have any experience with the video mode of the D90, D5000 or 500D (T1i)? Is the quality at 720p decent? What kind of format does it save under?

I don't own any lenses for the XS other than the kit lens and nifty fifty, so this would be an optimal time to change to Nikon if I chose to do so. How does the D90 compare to the 50D as far as image quality? Is the video mode in the D90 better than the D5000? Does the D5000 have an AF motor, or is it gimped like the D40 and D60?

Regarding the 500D, how does it compare to the 50D as far as high ISO performance and general image quality? Is it basically the same camera in a smaller package and with video? Would getting the 50D over the 500D be worth the extra $300 CAD?

Thanks for any replies, I'm really excited about upgrading!

For me, the D90 video mode is still kind of gimmicky. Theres not much control over the video exposure, mono sound, and manual focus. Mine also tends to get kind of warm when I shoot video for extended times. Oh and it only does 5 minutes at a time, then you have to hit the record button again. Its OK for taking short clips of randomness, but if you've got something you really want to document, use something else. I want a Canon HV30 myself, and the HV20 is no slouch for video.

Educated Eggdicator
Sep 4, 2006

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

For me, the D90 video mode is still kind of gimmicky. Theres not much control over the video exposure, mono sound, and manual focus. Mine also tends to get kind of warm when I shoot video for extended times. Oh and it only does 5 minutes at a time, then you have to hit the record button again. Its OK for taking short clips of randomness, but if you've got something you really want to document, use something else. I want a Canon HV30 myself, and the HV20 is no slouch for video.

Yeah I researched it all some more last night and went for the 50D this afternoon. What an improvement over the 1000D, wow. I enjoy that ISO values of 1600 and even now 3200 are viable options for shooting. 6400 and 12800 were pretty noisy, but not that much worse than the Rebel's 1600, so I can't complain. Has anyone compared the D90 and 50D side-by-side? Does either of them win out in terms of IQ, or is it just a matter of brand taste? Should I reconsider my 50D purchase?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Yeah I researched it all some more last night and went for the 50D this afternoon. What an improvement over the 1000D, wow. I enjoy that ISO values of 1600 and even now 3200 are viable options for shooting. 6400 and 12800 were pretty noisy, but not that much worse than the Rebel's 1600, so I can't complain. Has anyone compared the D90 and 50D side-by-side? Does either of them win out in terms of IQ, or is it just a matter of brand taste? Should I reconsider my 50D purchase?

The 50D is a far better camera than you'll need for a long time, I suspect. I know there's zero chance I will outgrow mine. The autofocus is blazingly fast and accurate, higher ISO looks great (as long as you expose properly), and the micro focus adjust is nice to have.

Any camera in this category will provide you with everything you need and then some, so don't sit and pixel peep it vs the D90 and agonize over it. Go out and shoot, you own a tool that not long ago pros could only dream of having. Put it to use, and when you feel that the camera is what limits you, consider something else.

Engine Skull
Jul 9, 2003
I WON'T TRY TO GUESS THE NUMBER THIS TIME LOWTAX

I need to pick up a new bag soon, and need a solid one that can hold my laptop (as I'm a nerd and haul my laptop to friend's houses for old school TFC lanning a lot, and also never leave home without my camera). So far I've been looking at the Tenba Shootout Courier or Naneu Pro's Sahara 115. However, as nice as the Sahara looks, something about Naneu Pro just scream "Run away! Buy something else!". Anyone had experience with their bags? Recommendations aside from these 2 bags also very welcome.

Also: Where's a good place to start building a studio-esque lighting setup? Just grab one flash unit like the AlienBees B400, stand, and umbrella, then eventually build up from there? (I've heard great things about AlienBees and seen some cool shots done with them, figure it's a good place to start).

Lighting is my biggest weakness when it comes to photography.

Engine Skull fucked around with this message at Jul 13, 2009 around 02:14

Hot Dog Day #20
May 5, 2004
:|

What's people's take on the Nikon D70 these days? It's old as dirt and has what has to be the smallest LCD i've ever seen in my life, but I'm willing to spend $800 on a body+lens setup at most and I'd rather put most of that towards a fancy lens and upgrade the body later when I figure out what I need from a DSLR. Any caveats with that particular model, considering it's around $250 used?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in front room of a run down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Hot Dog Day #20 posted:

What's people's take on the Nikon D70 these days? It's old as dirt and has what has to be the smallest LCD i've ever seen in my life, but I'm willing to spend $800 on a body+lens setup at most and I'd rather put most of that towards a fancy lens and upgrade the body later when I figure out what I need from a DSLR. Any caveats with that particular model, considering it's around $250 used?

I used to shoot one a lot. The LCD is completely useless. It's pretty noisy above ISO 400 as well.

I had a D100 as well and liked that way more. If you are going for a cheaper older Nikon DSLR that's what I suggest.

pwn
May 27, 2004
ASK ME ABOUT EATING MY OWN SHIT

Hot Dog Day #20 posted:

Well it has a common problem:

Interrupting Moss posted:

This is exactly right. $200 to repair.

I used to work for a company that had about 60 D70 bodies all bought at the same time about four years ago. They all started failing while I was there and I sent a lot out for repairs with either the 'CHA' card reader error or the lens mount issue.

DO NOT repair it. Every camera I sent for repair had the same error within a few months or had another problem. Buy a new camera.
I'd look at a D80, personally. Or a D200 if you can get it cheap enough.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in front room of a run down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

pwn posted:

Well it has a common problem:
I'd look at a D80, personally. Or a D200 if you can get it cheap enough.

My D70 would give me the CHA error. I got good at popping the CF card out and back in without lowering it from my face. On mine that cleared the error and let me keep shooting.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

Has anyone had any experience buying a refurbished Canon 40D from Adorama? It's $699, while a new 40D costs $865. I realize the warranty is two years shorter, but aside from that, any problems?

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Hot Dog Day #20 posted:

If you can't spend more than $800, buy a D200. If you can spend above this, or if you can wait and save up, get a like new (or new) D90 from KEH, B&H or Adorama. Skip the D70 and D80 altogether. Really, you should skip the D200 as well unless you need the features specific to that camera (more frames per second, better weather sealing, bigger/stronger body, etc). If you don't need those things, the image quality on the D90 will blow the D70/D80/D200 out of the water, plus you will have video in case you ever need it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Falken posted:

Something else i'll certainly need is a good flashgun. I'll be using this thing alot in nightclubs and other darker envionments so I'd like a flashgun that'll not be sat around waiting to charge up for the next shot. Ideas?
The SB-900 I have is really loving quick (it'll do 5fps with a subject 3 meters away in near complete darkness), and you can make it even quicker with a remote battery pack, but that's expensive as all gently caress.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I'd agree with that. The D90's a fantastic picture-taking machine, but not so much for video.

Has anyone compared the D90 and 50D side-by-side? Does either of them win out in terms of IQ, or is it just a matter of brand taste? Should I reconsider my 50D purchase?
I shoot a D90 and I wouldn't sweat it, the 50D's a fine camera.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at Jul 13, 2009 around 07:24

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I seem to smell the stench of appeasement in the air.

caberham posted:

lots of stores camera stores in Sum shui Po and else where have Benro in stock. To my knowledge, there's one store which is the official importer with a life time warranty. Supposedly they would fix anything broken free of charge as long as you try to bring everything back to them.

The address is, : Shum Shui Po, Cheung Sha Wan Road #220.

breathstealer posted:

Dunno which store this is but Sham Shui Po is consistently the cheapest place for not-camera photographic equipment. 20HKD for a blower that costs 65 in Central, 120 for an OM-EOS adapter ring that costs 280 in Central or TST, and 20 for a Sto-Fen knockoff costing 65 in Mongkok are three examples that I've recently had experience with.

I know it is a few pages back, but I wanted to thank you guys for the suggestions. unfortunately, I ran out of time and could not get to Sham Shui Po this trip. (I didn't even have enough time to pick up an Xbox). I'll try BKK and see if I can find a suitable head there

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

evil_bunnY posted:

The SB-900 I have is really loving quick (it'll do 5fps with a subject 3 meters away in near complete darkness), and you can make it even quicker with a remote battery pack, but that's expensive as all gently caress.

I'd agree with that. The D90's a fantastic picture-taking machine, but not so much for video.

I shoot a D90 and I wouldn't sweat it, the 50D's a fine camera.
The SB900 looks to be around what I'm after. I'll do some more research tho.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

1024x768 posted:

Has anyone had any experience buying a refurbished Canon 40D from Adorama? It's $699, while a new 40D costs $865. I realize the warranty is two years shorter, but aside from that, any problems?

Not 40D but I purchased my refurb 24-70 F/2.8 from them and it was pristine and extremely well packed.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bloody August posted:

I need to pick up a new bag soon, and need a solid one that can hold my laptop (as I'm a nerd and haul my laptop to friend's houses for old school TFC lanning a lot, and also never leave home without my camera). So far I've been looking at the Tenba Shootout Courier or Naneu Pro's Sahara 115. However, as nice as the Sahara looks, something about Naneu Pro just scream "Run away! Buy something else!". Anyone had experience with their bags? Recommendations aside from these 2 bags also very welcome.

Also: Where's a good place to start building a studio-esque lighting setup? Just grab one flash unit like the AlienBees B400, stand, and umbrella, then eventually build up from there? (I've heard great things about AlienBees and seen some cool shots done with them, figure it's a good place to start).

This is just a suggestion, but if you're going to carry a laptop and camera gear I HIGHLY recommend a backpack over a shoulder bag if you carry it for any length of time. I can't even tell you how much easier it will be on your shoulders.

My gear finally outgrew my tamrac system 6 and I just got a new tamrac expedition 6x and it is awesome. On the pricey side at around $180 but it's quite sizeable and holds a 14" laptop really nicely.

Tamrac Expedition 6x

As for light gear, I just ordered two B800's last week. Waiting for them to get here myself, but I've used them in the past with quite nice results. I'd recommend going for the B800 over a B400. You might come to regret the lack of power. Also most people recommend avoiding AB stands. You can get Calumet ones for even cheaper that are better quality. I also recommend a softbox of some sort over an umbrella. I think the light is a lot more pleasing and tends to flatter more than an umbrella.

trueblue
Oct 10, 2004
Can we still be friends?

I gotta say that after looking into primes for a while, I'm a bit disappointed with Canon's 50mm offerings. The 1.8 is obviously awesome for the price but very lacking in some areas. The 1.4 seems to have an AF system that breaks if you look at it the wrong way, the 1.2 apparently suffers from some 'focus shift' condition, and the 1.0 is just impossible to afford. The 1.4 is 16 years old now, it'd be awesome if they updated it with ring USM.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

8th-samurai posted:

My D70 would give me the CHA error. I got good at popping the CF card out and back in without lowering it from my face. On mine that cleared the error and let me keep shooting.
I got a new memory card, and the problem went away. Also, I never take this new card out of the body. I was constantly using the old one with a card reader.. I dunno.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

quazi posted:

I got a new memory card, and the problem went away. Also, I never take this new card out of the body. I was constantly using the old one with a card reader.. I dunno.

Mine did it with several different sandisk cards and a lexar. I didn't feel right selling the camera when I upgraded so I just gave it to a buddy of mine.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Bloody August posted:

I second the backpack suggestion also.

I'm a huge fan of the Kata DR 466 and 467 backpacks. The 466 and 467 have the same size camera compartment, but the 467 can hold 17" laptops and has a larger upper compartment for your non-camera items. I find the Katas extremely comfortable to have on my back, and it actually looks decent for a camera backpack.

I actually downgraded from the much pricier Crumpler Sinking Barge because it was way too bulky and felt a lot heavier on my back. In reality, they hold about the same amount of items.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D

Interesting read

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/e...rick-wall.shtml

There goes the megapixel race on full-frame

quote:

So why do I say that we are near the limit? The diffraction limit of our lenses is larger than the pixel size on some sensors. This means that the resolution of some current cameras is limited by the diffraction limit of the lens rather than the pixel size on the chip. This means that cramming more, smaller pixels on the chip will not result in a higher resolution image when you make a print.

Someone will immediately ask, “Well design a better lens with a better diffraction limit.” The diffraction limit is a property of light. The only way to get a better diffraction limit in photography is to illuminate your subject with shorter wavelength electromagnetic radiation. There is a process that allows integrated circuits to be made with a smaller feature size that uses X-rays that have a shorter wavelength. Gamma rays could also be used. However, there are some human photo subjects that are not in favor of this and object to be illuminated by these rays.
Interestingly diffraction limit will kick in at a mere f/11 on the 5D2.

TokenBrit
May 7, 2007
Irony isn't something that's like metal.

DaNzA posted:

Interesting read

That article is a little short-sighted. They'll still add more megapixels, just we'll start to see more interesting things being done with them. Pixel binning, more foveon style sensors, that sort of thing.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I have the 4490 and while it does a great job on medium format I have not gotten acceptable 35mm scans (other than for web size shots) out of it. Only paid something like $79 shipped though, so can't complain.

I have a 4990 and it does great 120/4x5 scans (I make decent sized prints from them) but sucks for 35mm. I think most flatbeds just aren't good enough for small format film. If you shoot a lot of 35mm I would get a dedicated one or just find a lab that will do it for you for cheap.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

trueblue posted:

I gotta say that after looking into primes for a while, I'm a bit disappointed with Canon's 50mm offerings. The 1.8 is obviously awesome for the price but very lacking in some areas. The 1.4 seems to have an AF system that breaks if you look at it the wrong way, the 1.2 apparently suffers from some 'focus shift' condition, and the 1.0 is just impossible to afford. The 1.4 is 16 years old now, it'd be awesome if they updated it with ring USM.

I've heard a lot of really good things about Sigma's 50mm f/1.4 (http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-50mm-Ca...s/dp/B0018ZDGAC). It's reasonably priced, and it's supposedly tack sharp with really quick auto-focusing. I'd definitely check it out. If/when my Canon 50mm f/1.8 craps out, I'll probably replace it with that Sigma.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

trueblue posted:

It's interesting to note that all of those 50s extend during focusing. Kind of lame. You'd think that at least the 1.2 and the 1.0 Ls would have rear floating focusing designs.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

TokenBrit posted:

That article is a little short-sighted. They'll still add more megapixels, just we'll start to see more interesting things being done with them. Pixel binning, more foveon style sensors, that sort of thing.

I'm interested to see who picks up the Foveon sensor out of the big two. Sigma already makes a camera but other than the sensor I don't see anything attractive about it at all.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

trueblue posted:

No disagreement there. But look at the Sigma 50/1.4 -- it's a modern fast fifty design and as long as you don't get one with focusing issues it's one hell of a piece of glass. Hopefully Canon will step up to the plate and try to outdo it, but not so sure they'll bother.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

DaNzA posted:

Interesting read

Longer term, I am wondering what will happen. I suppose there are a couple of ways to go about this...

If diffraction is the issue, one can designer lenses that perform better and better at larger apertures. Of course, depth of field then is troublesome..but what if you performed 10-20 exposures at various focal points and merged them after that?

Then there's stitching images together. Easy enough to get insane resolution, but if you are looking for reach then that isn't going to help.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Longer term, I am wondering what will happen. I suppose there are a couple of ways to go about this...

Cripes. Just focus on improving image quality instead of fluff. Give me a useable ISO 1600 on a point and shoot. Give me D3 type low light performance on a Rebel. Whatever. There's still tons of room for improvement. Digital cameras still haven't reached film levels of quality yet. Beat film and then we'll start talking about limitations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Clayton Bigsby posted:

New deep raster image format, where sensors can start sorting z depth information [such as position data], multiple exposures at once would be nice.

TsarAleksi
Nov 23, 2004

What?

HPL posted:

Cripes. Just focus on improving image quality instead of fluff. Give me a useable ISO 1600 on a point and shoot. Give me D3 type low light performance on a Rebel. Whatever. There's still tons of room for improvement. Digital cameras still haven't reached film levels of quality yet. Beat film and then we'll start talking about limitations.

Sure they have. Maybe not if you're talking about (subjective) aesthetics, but in terms of resolution and performance in low light, 35mm film is vastly behind digital.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

I had an idea. What about if cameras started coming with modular sensors? You could have sensors optimized for low light, or ones optimized for dynamic range or whatever.

Also, odd as this sounds, I'd like to see improvements in noise. I'd like to see noise that's more smooth and random instead of patterny and stripey.

Beastruction
Feb 15, 2005

HPL posted:

I had an idea. What about if cameras started coming with modular sensors? You could have sensors optimized for low light, or ones optimized for dynamic range or whatever.

I want a digital sensor that fits in a 35mm camera I don't care how pointless or difficult it is.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

I call him that
because he waddles!

WADDLES!

terriyaki posted:

It's interesting to note that all of those 50s extend during focusing. Kind of lame. You'd think that at least the 1.2 and the 1.0 Ls would have rear floating focusing designs.

It's still cheaper and pretty much just as fast for a standard extension focus on these. No need to make them more complex than necessary.

trueblue
Oct 10, 2004
Can we still be friends?

Continuing my search for the perfect prime, I've started to consider old manual focus lenses. I'd previously dismissed MF since I'd never used it before, but it seems like there's some really nice lenses out there for a good price, like the SMC Takumar 50 1.4 or similarly spec'd Zeiko.

Has anyone got experience with MF lenses adapted to a Canon 5D? Any recommendations on 50mm and f/1.4 or faster ones that won't hit the mirror, and can keep infinity focus etc?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

So I'm back up in the game
Running things to keep my swing
Letting all the people know
That I'm back to run the show

HPL posted:

Also, odd as this sounds, I'd like to see improvements in noise. I'd like to see noise that's more smooth and random instead of patterny and stripey.

Better yet, maybe even open up the firmware or release tools for us to customize the UI. That way we can reprogram the P and other basic modes into more specific custom functions instead of relying on C1 or C2. It would be also great if we can add in camera nd filters so we can specify which area of the picture to increase/decrease exposure.

Or custom set a AEB with N# pictures, in camera HDR... oh well guess we can only dream, but I really look forward to the Olympus EP-1 and their future improvements

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

caberham posted:

Better yet, maybe even open up the firmware or release tools for us to customize the UI. That way we can reprogram the P and other basic modes into more specific custom functions instead of relying on C1 or C2. It would be also great if we can add in camera nd filters so we can specify which area of the picture to increase/decrease exposure.

Or custom set a AEB with N# pictures, in camera HDR... oh well guess we can only dream, but I really look forward to the Olympus EP-1 and their future improvements

Only if google starts making cameras. Hah, an Android-powered gSLR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

Sold my XSi body on craigslist to a nice gentleman for $500 about 18 hours after I posted it. Awesome.

«315 »