Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
BobTheCrazyMonkey
Jul 9, 2007

So I found a check that was filled out for a sports team, the check is dated 5 months ago, they are clean checks. I'm wondering what legal problems I would encounter if I cashed them. Would it be safer to deposit these checks under my own bank account or would it be safer to cash them? If the persons whos bank account gets charged wonders why they have a ding in their account, can they press to see who it was?

Note, this was money has been forgotten by the receiver, its lost money to them. This money was also supposed to be taken out of the payers account but never was. This might mean that the person whos money I'm taking may not ask a lot of questions because it was money that was supposed to be taken in the first place.

I'm not looking for ethic advice here... just law and chance of getting caught.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaladSigilon
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB

... yes, cashing a check that isn't signed or endorsed to you is a crime.

It's called check fraud.

But you should do it anyway - I'm sure you won't get caught.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

Which country do you live in? I got one in the UK about 9 months ago, just a cheque in an envelope and the cheque was made out to a rugby team. I just wrote Return To Sender on it and put it on a shelf so I could put it in a letterbox, then promptly forgot about it for two months. So then I put it in the bin

I couldn't help but wonder if this was some sort of scam, as it was addressed to my address but had no name on it. I sometimes got mail from a similar address in the next street, but this one seemed like it actually meant to find its way to my letterbox...

It was weird, but not weird enough to take any further.

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.

Check frauds a pretty huge deal. A lot of banks will make you finger print the check if you're just cashing it. They'll also take a copy of your drivers license.

BlackRider
Dec 28, 2004

If you lose a cheque you generally don't just say "oh well" and move on. Usually you contact the person who wrote the cheque so they can cancel the lost one and write you a new one.

Throw the cheque away.. This is a really stupid idea.

psydude
Mar 31, 2008

Perry'd.

BlackRider posted:

If you lose a cheque you generally don't just say "oh well" and move on. Usually you contact the person who wrote the cheque so they can cancel the lost one and write you a new one.

Throw the cheque away.. This is a really stupid idea.

This. And as soon as they notice the withdrawal they'll order a stop payment on the cheque and it will be removed from your account anyway.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Even trying to narrow it down to specific events is problematic.
Was Danzig or War right or wrong?
Was the Holocaust right or wrong?
It clearly has elements of both. Trying to cast super broad concepts in yes/ no terms is argumentative reductionism.

There's literally no upside to this. You're an idiot who will be caught.

afterhours
Jul 1, 2007

cash it then write an Ask/Tell thread about how check fraud ruined your life.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Don't listen to these people, they are just jealous that they didn't find free money.

Go ahead and cash that check that is addressed to someone else and not you. There is no way a person can have their bank find out who deposited the check and take action if they feel it is "fraudulent". Besides, it isn't even fraud, hasn't everyone heard of "finders keepers"? They probably won't even notice, or they'll see it and just think "haha oh that (person the check is written to) is such a slow poke"

What could possibly go wrong?

Go ahead and cash it

DO IT

Night Canoodler
Oct 13, 2003

IT'S A TRAP!

Carlton Banks is 100% right. Do it.

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

do it.

Emperor Internet
Jul 20, 2004
lol internet

You're right about saying it's just lost money. They wrote the check, and thought that it got paid so basically there's an amount for the check thats just floating around the bank system that nobody knows what to do with. I mean, sure, ethically it isn't really yours, but if you found $20 on the ground you'd probably spend it right?

cash it and just say you're part of the sports team and see what you can buy

how much is the check for?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Do it!

Free money is totally worth the jail time if you get caught.

As for the "lost money," you know you can re-issue a check right? It isn't like the money is "reserved" for the check

BobTheCrazyMonkey
Jul 9, 2007

Neu posted:

do it.

The check is for 115 dollars however... if I do go through with it, there is the possibility of having maybe 600 dollars because there was mulitable checks laying around. Can someone give me an estimate on how tight the bank is about this, and a for sure answer if the person who gets billed can figure out if it was me and if so do anything about it? Im considering if everything checks out a bit more to deposit it in my account through a ATM machine to avoid face on face confrontation with a clerk, Is this completely stupid?

BobTheCrazyMonkey fucked around with this message at Jul 7, 2009 around 08:11

rockin peanut
Jun 11, 2008

by T. Finninho

BobTheCrazyMonkey posted:

The check is for 115 dollars however... if I do go through with it, there is the possibility of having maybe 600 dollars because there was mulitable checks laying around. Can someone give me an estimate on how tight the bank is about this, and a for sure answer if the person who gets billed can figure out if it was me and if so do anything about it? Im considering if everything checks out a bit more to deposit it in my account through a ATM machine to avoid face on face confrontation with a clerk, Is this completely stupid?

Are you loving retarded? What do you mean "how tight they are with this"? Do you think banks just cash cheques for anyone, regardlyess of who it's signed to? Why do you think there's even a 'to' line on a cheque?

And you even think dropping it in an ATM machine will be better. No no, go ahead, this will totally work.

BobTheCrazyMonkey
Jul 9, 2007

rockin peanut posted:

Are you loving retarded? What do you mean "how tight they are with this"? Do you think banks just cash cheques for anyone, regardlyess of who it's signed to? Why do you think there's even a 'to' line on a cheque?

And you even think dropping it in an ATM machine will be better. No no, go ahead, this will totally work.

Its written out to a sports team not any one person, there's no way for them knowing that I'm not in charge of the money on this sports team. I know for a fact that I can get the money. What I'm not sure is if the people I take the money from question the bank about it, how much can the bank do about it?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Let us know what the food tastes like in jail.

(No one's really this stupid. Are they?)

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at Jul 7, 2009 around 08:26

piss boy
Jul 4, 2009

Its written out to a sports team not any one person, there's no way for them knowing that I'm not in charge of the money on this sports team. I know for a fact that I can get the money. What I'm not sure is if the people I take the money from question the bank about it, how much can the bank do about it?

wow, you're a loving retarded idiot, look at this post haaaahahahahaha

rockin peanut
Jun 11, 2008

by T. Finninho

So you think that organizations just use personal accounts to handle business transactions, then?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

rockin peanut posted:

So you think that organizations just use personal accounts to handle business transactions, then?

Wait poo poo you mean I shouldn't have made out my tax check to Barack Obama?

rockin peanut
Jun 11, 2008

by T. Finninho

kazmeyer posted:

Wait poo poo you mean I shouldn't have made out my tax check to Barack Obama?

Don't worry; if you can find the cheque before it gets cashed, you can cash it yourself (just claim you're from the B. Obama little league soccer team, nothin they can do about it, really), and then you'll have paid your taxes without losing a dime!

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

rockin peanut posted:

Don't worry; if you can find the cheque before it gets cashed, you can cash it yourself (just claim you're from the B. Obama little league soccer team, nothin they can do about it, really), and then you'll have paid your taxes without losing a dime!

I've got an even better idea. Next April 15th, I'm going to jump the mailman and take all the tax checks, because there's NO WAY the bank can tell I'm not the president! I'll be rich!

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

This is how it works when you cash a check.

IF THE CHECK ISN'T MADE OUT TO YOU, IN YOUR NAME, OR THE NAME OF THE ACCOUNT HOLDER, YOU CANNOT CASH IT.

If it's made out to North wales rugby team, and your name is Sir Dumbass III, you wouldn't be able to cash it if you didn't have a bank account with the name North Wales Rugby Team.

The real only exception is if it's signed over to you.

Also, when you cash a check without a bank account, they do several things to be able to find you. They take your drivers license number, the state, your fingerprint, they can also ask for contact phone number, and address.

Pretty much if you cash this, you're going to get caught unless the sports organization doesn't do anything.

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

I had a roommate that got arrested by the secret service for depositing a fake check in a bank account opened under a fake name with a legitimate business license. Well as legitimate as a business license is when obtained using fraudulent information. They were waiting for him at the bank when he went to make his first withdrawal. You might not be cool enough to get noticed by the secret service since his check was for $250,000 and yours is a hundred bucks but keep your fingers crossed you might get lucky.

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

MonkeyBot posted:

I had a roommate that got arrested by the secret service for depositing a fake check in a bank account opened under a fake name with a legitimate business license. Well as legitimate as a business license is when obtained using fraudulent information. They were waiting for him at the bank when he went to make his first withdrawal. You might not be cool enough to get noticed by the secret service since his check was for $250,000 and yours is a hundred bucks but keep your fingers crossed you might get lucky.

lol wtf? Why would he try this. Please, please elaborate.

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

Neu posted:

lol wtf? Why would he try this. Please, please elaborate.

The whole story is just about as retarded as the summary. My roommate Danny worked with a guy named Jamal, they were servers at Chi-Chi's back when it was still in business. Jamal supposedly had this little side-gig with a couple friends where he would get women to help him con companies out of money. The gig went something like this. Jamal the ladies' man would meet a bunch of different women until he found one that worked in payroll at some company. He would then romance the payroll lady until she was ready to do anything for him. Jamal's compatriots, in the mean time, would make up some generic sounding name and the basics of a fake identity then obtain a business license. The payroll woman would then cut a check to the fake business and a bank account would be opened for the business to deposit the check in. The group would then slowly withdraw money from the account so as not to draw attention to themselves. There was apparently some part where they had to go to the west coast to launder the money or something. This part was never clear to me.

Back to the story, Danny thought Jamal was a really cool fuckin guy and would constantly try and gain his approval. At some point Jamal tells Danny about this scheme and tells him if he is the fake businessman in the scenario then his cut would be $10,000. Danny sees this as a lot of money and a chance to pay off his debts. He asks everyone he knows if he should do this and everybody told him it was loving stupid and don't do it. This was all the validation he needed to take Jamal up on his offer. In the end turns out the check Jamal gave him was a scanned check with the amount edited in photoshop or something. They didn't even bother to change the check number. Needless to say when this check makes it to the Treasury Department for final verification it fails in extraordinary fashion and this alerts the secret service to the fraud. They show up at the bank and the first withdrawal Danny goes to make they nab him.

The fallout from the story is just as ridiculous. It took them a while after the initial arrest when I got to pick him up from jail to get to the actual court date. At the time Danny was working with his mother at a business that builds computers rather than at Chi-Chi's. She was the front desk person and he built the computers. He also didn't have a car so she would give him a ride to and from work every day. Well one day she gives him a ride home and the detectives, who had come to the apartment earlier, were apparently waiting in the parking lot and arrested him as soon as she parked. Knowing nothing about the situation since Danny didn't tell anyone in his family she came into the apartment confused as hell so I got to tell her about the whole sordid affair. The best part is his parents were divorced and remarried and only his mom's side knows about this. His dad has no idea his son was ever arrested and went to jail, much less on a felony fraud charge.

That brings me to the actual sentencing and jail time. There wasn't enough evidence to do anything to Jamal and his crew so they got off scot-free. His final sentence was 90 days work release, so he went to work during the day and returned to jail in the evenings. He was supposed to have 90 days, 70 with good behavior but due to a typo on his paperwork (which he notified them of and they told him "Lucky you!") he only had to serve 40 days. We had made plans to move that unfortunately fell smack in the middle of his sentence, so he applied for a furlough for the day to get the moving done which he received. Due to some other screw-up they never rescinded this furlough so he got 12 hours out of jail every Sunday after that. He got released from jail on Thanksgiving Day which allowed him to show up to the family celebrations he had without anyone the wiser about his time inside.

As a final footnote if it ever somehow comes up that he was in jail among people that don't know the story he tells some stupid poo poo about him getting into a bar fight (that he won of course) over some sports broadcast or other. I make fun of him by telling him that he never went to jail he was just grounded for a month. I'm sure he'd be pissed if he knew I was telling people the story but that's his own retarded fault.

justaname
Dec 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

MonkeyBot posted:

Holy poo poo... OP stupidity only trumped by this... wtf... how did he think this would be OK? What was the end result?

To the OP... don't be dumb, you will get caught, most certainly. You should just tear them up and trash them.

Not Who You Think
Nov 13, 2006

by Peatpot

OP, they almost got away with it, you're smarter though, so surely you're golden!

Do it.

therochester
Jan 31, 2003

by Ozma

If you really want $110 that doesn't belong to you, just rob someone. It's easier and there's no loving paper trail.

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

Im' still saying do it op.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Im considering if everything checks out a bit more to deposit it in my account through a ATM machine to avoid face on face confrontation with a clerk, Is this completely stupid?
I hope you realize that the person who has the account that the money is deposited in is usually the guilty party. You aren't going to fool anyone. Also, banks return checks to the original writers. If you haven't been caught yet, the person who wrote the check will call his bank in about a month when the check comes back. That bank will then read the routing numbers stamped on the check when it was cashed and call your bank, who will open up an inquiry and likely take the money out of your account. If you're lucky, they'll call you and give you a chance to explain first. Ethics aside, there's no good way to cash them, and a few hundred dollars isn't worth the risk. The feds take check fraud very seriously, even more so if you commit the same crime repeatedly.

Shark Attack!
Nov 2, 2006
__/\_____\o/___

I think the experience of getting arrested and going through the court system will be good for you, since it's obvious you have zero common sense and are basically loving retarded. So yeah, go ahead and deposit the check into your own account via an ATM machine.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3

Posting in support of doing it, just do it. You deserve that money, you deserve it.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

What do you mean the checks were laying around? Did you take them from someone's house? Were they laying on the sidewalk, being ignored by everyone like a lost penny? Where they given to your lazy girlfriend who broke up with you but forgot to take the checks with her?

Also, this is completely a legitimate way to earn extra cash. Use an ATM so you don't have to deal with the clerks. You're a loving idiot.

flesy
May 6, 2007
y=mx+b

haha, I doubt anyone is going to take a check dated 5 months ago. I work at a palce that cashes checks and we rarely cash checks that aren't from the current weeks pay period.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Because the question always comes next in check fraud threads....

No, a seedy check cashing place will not cash those checks. Check cashing places know that third party checks are always frauds.

Edit: drat it, flesy. Apparently these threads are even more predictable than I thought.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

The March Hare posted:

Posting in support of doing it, just do it. You deserve that money, you deserve it.

You know, it's not real money anyway.

HAIL SATAN
Apr 26, 2007

Eating puppies and giving guns to the poor since 1842

Regarding your original predicament:

there was mulitable checks laying around

I do believe the word you're searching for here is mulletable

quote:

mul⋅let⋅a⋅ble
  /ˈmullətəbəl/ [mul-et-uh-buhl]

–adjective

1.capable of being shaped into a mullet: Captain Planet's hair was mulletable
2.useful for catching any of several marine or freshwater, usually gray fishes of the family Mugilidae, having a nearly cylindrical body.

—Synonyms
3. mulletworthy, mulletfresh, mulletacular.

—Antonyms
2. unmulletable, nonmulletworthy.
Good luck to you with all your future endeavors!

Isabell Iam
Jul 25, 2007
The proud proprietor of the wax museum.

probably a better idea to start selling drugs instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

Ask Charter Communications how they do it. My roommate accidentally put her rent check into the cable bill envelope (the rent check was made out to our landlord, obviously, and not Charter) and Charter cashed it through some online shady as gently caress bank thing. My roommate got her money back from the bank after filing a stop payment on it, but they never could trace it back to Charter, so we got $300 of free credit on our account in the end.

You can do it and not get traced, but you sure as poo poo can't go through a real bank or put it in your account at the ATM.

«2 »