Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.
In light of the Malaysia Airlines disaster, I can see why the Foreign Service screening process is so rigorous. I'm sure the embassy workers in Amsterdam, Kiev, Moscow, and Kuala Lumpur are incredibly busy right now and working on very tight deadlines. I hope no FS staff, colleagues, friends or family members were on that doomed flight. :(

Meanwhile, I patient wait for the October FSOT dates to be posted so I can get going!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I came across the career of the FSO from a interview with an officer on a website called the Art of Manliness, and thought that this would be an interesting career path. However when I talked to several "guidance or career counselors" at my university none of them really had any answers because apparently almost no one from my school has applied for the FSO :/ . I go to the University of Portland and am double majoring in finance and accounting. This thread has been interesting and has alot of information in it probably some of the most I have found online.

Out of curiosity are there any internships with the FSO or similar organizations for college students, as I am going into my junior year of university and the Business School requires at least one internship before graduation?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Your school is probably going to want you to take an internship directly related to your degree. I tried to swing a practicum credit once for a Graphic Design degree by interning in a broadcasting field for a semester. Needless to say, I did not get that credit.

Speak with a counselor about internships, don't ask internet strangers.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
If your school does allow internships that aren't in your field, there are two basic internship programs. The unpaid student intern program and the pathways program. The former is well established and what the vast majority of State interns do, while the former is relatively new and - last I heard - quite disorganized.

http://careers.state.gov/intern

I did an unpaid internship last fall and there are others in this thread who have done them as well. They're pretty highly recommended if you can afford them. Most are in DC or at foreign posts and that gets expensive when there's no money coming in.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Captain Bravo posted:

Your school is probably going to want you to take an internship directly related to your degree. I tried to swing a practicum credit once for a Graphic Design degree by interning in a broadcasting field for a semester. Needless to say, I did not get that credit.

Speak with a counselor about internships, don't ask internet strangers.

Yeah definitely of course I will plan on clarifying with my school. I just wanted to see if there were programs available for students.

tismondo posted:

If your school does allow internships that aren't in your field, there are two basic internship programs. The unpaid student intern program and the pathways program. The former is well established and what the vast majority of State interns do, while the former is relatively new and - last I heard - quite disorganized.

http://careers.state.gov/intern

I did an unpaid internship last fall and there are others in this thread who have done them as well. They're pretty highly recommended if you can afford them. Most are in DC or at foreign posts and that gets expensive when there's no money coming in.

Also thank you I might look into that as an option.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Speaking of that, does anyone in this thread have experience with the Virtual Student Foreign Service internship? I just learned that it existed and i'm curious about what kind of work an intern might be doing without being physically at an embassy or consulate.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Kellsterik posted:

Speaking of that, does anyone in this thread have experience with the Virtual Student Foreign Service internship? I just learned that it existed and i'm curious about what kind of work an intern might be doing without being physically at an embassy or consulate.

DoS is actually super hyped on the virtual internship at the moment.

From what I've seen, it's pretty tech heavy. It's also a good opportunity for ELOs to get management experience.

Salt Maker
Feb 5, 2006
Halogen was already taken
I know DoS must be crazy right now with everything going on.

I'm looking for someone in State to look over my PN, PM me if you can.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Salt Maker posted:

I know DoS must be crazy right now with everything going on.

I'm looking for someone in State to look over my PN, PM me if you can.

Email me, yo.

CoatPulls
Jun 28, 2013
If anyone that successfully made it through would be willing to read over my PNs, I would greatly appreciate it.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.
Life is a little crazy right now at work, but I promise if anybody wants a second or third set of eyes, I'm happy to look over narratives. Shoot me a PM.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Happy to help. Shoot me a PM

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I can't really help proof PNQs this round but good luck to everyone.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Tyro posted:

I can't really help proof PNQs this round but good luck to everyone.

Just buy a cot and stick it behind the Delta counter at IAD dude.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Homie S posted:

Just buy a cot and stick it behind the Delta counter at IAD dude.

:laugh:

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So, who's excited to "telecommute" in two weeks' time?

Gonna be working in my PJs. Awwww yeah.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

the_chavi posted:

So, who's excited to "telecommute" in two weeks' time?

What

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

You haven't signed up for the CAA@Home program?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

the_chavi posted:

Been doing it for a year now. It's still awesome. :getin:

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

People at Main State basically can't come to work on 5-6 August. http://www.whitehouse.gov/us-africa-leaders-summit

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

the_chavi posted:

People at Main State basically can't come to work on 5-6 August. http://www.whitehouse.gov/us-africa-leaders-summit

Thank god I'm leaving town before my next bit of fun begins.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Press reports say that all American staff pulled out of Libya overnight.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Where are you seeing that? I can't find any mention from any news agency of the staff being pulled out last night, Metro and AP are empty too.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Libyan twitter users, and at least one journalist from Radio Sawa. They are also reporting that an F16 was over Tripoli last night to cover the pullout.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's official now - Marie Harf confirmed it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Why? Is it ISIS shenanigans or something?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Alright, it's starting to pop up now.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Artificer posted:

Why? Is it ISIS shenanigans or something?

Nahh internal Libyan instability. Militias fighting for control of the airport (probably saw in the press last week when the airport was destroyed), which is very close to our Embassy.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Hey look at that Homie, just what we were chatting about the other day.

Actually, I have a macabre story about chatting too, but I'm afraid it's an in-person only thing.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
Wait was it you I was talking about the MEU or just the situation in general?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Homie S posted:

Wait was it you I was talking about the MEU or just the situation in general?

I think we talked about both.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Stupid question about admin grade promotions. I'm trying to do my budget for the fall and I'm not sure which step I'll get put into.

The way I remember it's calculated from the brief FSI class is, find your current Grade/Step, add 2 steps (or 6% if too high to go up 2 steps). Then go up a grade and find the step that's just above that number.

Is that correct?

For the initial 12-month admin grade, is there the normal annual step promotion in there also? If so, I assume people in step 10+ just miss out on that?

Thanks!

Continuous
Jan 5, 2013

Tyro posted:

Stupid question about admin grade promotions. I'm trying to do my budget for the fall and I'm not sure which step I'll get put into.

The way I remember it's calculated from the brief FSI class is, find your current Grade/Step, add 2 steps (or 6% if too high to go up 2 steps). Then go up a grade and find the step that's just above that number.

Is that correct?

For the initial 12-month admin grade, is there the normal annual step promotion in there also? If so, I assume people in step 10+ just miss out on that?

Thanks!

You're right about the admin promotion calculation, and yeah, you do get the annual step increase as well. :toot:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Sweet. But if you're in the step range where you only get the step every other year, does it just get skipped?

Strudelmeyer
Sep 17, 2012

Got an invite for DS-STS Oral Assessment. Any insight on the process would be helpful.

Strudelmeyer fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 28, 2014

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

Tyro posted:

Sweet. But if you're in the step range where you only get the step every other year, does it just get skipped?

Unfortunately, yes. That or if your maxed out in steps, no where to go.

On pay subject, I just recently learned the OT rules, no one ever told us about the cap! Thought it was just 1.5x, of course, that would be too easy. At some point I'm your career, you make less per hour on OT then regular pay, does everyone just do comp time instead at a certain point?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

problematique posted:

Unfortunately, yes. That or if your maxed out in steps, no where to go.

On pay subject, I just recently learned the OT rules, no one ever told us about the cap! Thought it was just 1.5x, of course, that would be too easy. At some point I'm your career, you make less per hour on OT then regular pay, does everyone just do comp time instead at a certain point?

At least for generalists, after a certain point you can ONLY take comp time, IIRC.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Leif. posted:

At least for generalists, after a certain point you can ONLY take comp time, IIRC.

Tyro can only accrue comp time during travel after 8 hours on a work day (or travel on an RDO).

BOOP!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Homie S posted:

Tyro can only accrue comp time during travel after 8 hours on a work day (or travel on an RDO).

BOOP!

Yup. And at the rate I have been earning it I probably won't use it all. At least I'm a ways away from hitting the pay cap.

I've heard plenty of stories of our guys working loads of unpaid OT. But in my opinion at that point, you're making enough that you should treat it as being salaried. I know when I worked in the private sector I had lots of 80 hour work weeks with no additional compensation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Flag day on Friday!

Very exciting!