Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bloodnose posted:

Tumbleweeds roll through the consular section by 5:15

Yours, maybe. Mine was 12 hours/day. =/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.

Chomskyan posted:

Im thinking about taking the shot at the Foreign Service written exam because I 1) I want to live all over the world 2) I want to learn languages. Im already basically N2 level in Japanese (I think thats Level 3 by FS standards), and Ive only been self studying it for about a year and a half. Im looking at self studying Mandarin. The foreign service seems like a good way to align my life goals with my work goals.

However, I am worried about how my third party associations might affect my application. First, Im an active member of the anti-war movement in Japan, specifically a student group based in Tokyo. Secondly Im a registered member of Amnesty International. Both of those groups have been highly critical of US foreign policy. So I guess my question is, are people with my views and associations welcome in the foreign service?

I also have 2-kyu in Japanese (before 2-kyu became N2), but I think that really only qualifies you for Level 2 by State standards. Level 3 proficiency requires you to have the vocabulary to discuss technical and complex topics without any pattern of breakdowns in fluency.

I can't speak to how your "public service" or "extracurricular activities" will be viewed by DS.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I was going by the info posted on the Tokyo embassy website.

Womacks-JP-23
May 15, 2013

Chomskyan posted:

However, I am worried about how my third party associations might affect my application. First, Im an active member of the anti-war movement in Japan, specifically a student group based in Tokyo. Secondly Im a registered member of Amnesty International. Both of those groups have been highly critical of US foreign policy. So I guess my question is, are people with my views and associations welcome in the foreign service?

You do realize that you will be required to publically defend the policies of the U.S. and may be required to advocate for war at a future point in your career, right?

As long as you are okay with that and the groups you associate with do not call for the overthrow of the US government or anything like that, you should be good to go.

Womacks-JP-23
May 15, 2013

They are being very generous. Let's just ignore that the JLPT doesn't measure speaking at all. There is no way someone with just N2 level Japanese would be able to get a 3 in reading. R3 implies that you could read through the newspaper at a normal pace and N2 only covers half of the joyo kanji list and the reading passages in the JLPT are basically the 6th grade level.

Just looking at speaking, it would be very hard for many N1 passers to check off all the S3 requirements with a high level of confidence. To share some personal information, I passed N1 four years ago and would still struggle on a lot of the S3 checklist here, depending on the topic. I passed my phone test a few weeks ago but I was honestly expecting a S4 and ended up getting knocked down a notch.

http://www.govtilr.org/Skills/speakingassessment.pdf

Womacks-JP-23 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 27, 2015

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Womacks-JP-23 posted:

You do realize that you will be required to publically defend the policies of the U.S. and may be required to advocate for war at a future point in your career, right?

Somehow, I thought I would be able to work in some other area of government completely separate from that kind of advocacy. I appreciate your blunt response. It looks like this line of work isn't a good fit for me.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Fair point. But the JLPT does not measure spoken Japanese; it only tests your reading, grammar and listening comprehension. The language test that State uses when offering language bonus points is based entirely on speaking and listening, not reading. Not trying to rain on your parade or anything. I'm just happy to see another Japanese speaker on the board.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Chomskyan posted:

Somehow, I thought I would be able to work in some other area of government completely separate from that kind of advocacy. I appreciate your blunt response. It looks like this line of work isn't a good fit for me.

You do realise you're asking this in the Foriegn Service thread right?

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.
So I'm at FSI this week on training. Anybody interested in lunch?

First, why do they keep moving the forks in the cafeteria? Second, I think I needed a trigger warning when I saw my first woolen suit with the giant tangerine nametag.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
You sign up day one to support the policies of the US government. I for one am looking forward to being a staunch defender of the Trump administration's foreign policy.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Think of how huge and luxurious the embassy buildings will be after he's been in office for a couple years.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chomskyan posted:

Those groups are incredibly anodyne - you would face problems agreeing to defend policy but not for those associations. I am fairly anti-war, but I have not been faced with defending a policy I didn't feel comfortable defending. Besides, no matter where you work (especially abroad), you're the face of the US government, which means answering questions from Lebanese people about Cuba policy or Bolivians about South China Sea.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zoots posted:

So I'm at FSI this week on training. Anybody interested in lunch?

First, why do they keep moving the forks in the cafeteria? Second, I think I needed a trigger warning when I saw my first woolen suit with the giant tangerine nametag.

Are they tangerine this week? They were green when I was there in May. Speaking of - I'm back at FSI next week, how long is your training?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Can someone please tell me more about US AID

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

caberham posted:

Can someone please tell me more about US AID

Like State, but more bureaucratic.

If you want to be "in the field" do OTI.

Blooregard
Sep 7, 2012
Flag day in few hours!

I'm also up for lunch at FSI tomorrow (Wed), I'll be one of the poor souls in a suit.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

the_chavi posted:

Like State, but more bureaucratic.

If you want to be "in the field" do OTI.

Can you elaborate a little more on what OTI does? I know their mission statement and all that but was curious about what a program manager might be doing on a regular basis.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

When did the modern-day testing system come to be? I just met a fellow who became an FSO in the mid-'60s and he simply didn't understand the idea of a segmented application process. I get that in his day you could go through the whole application in a day, as he apparently did, but his lack of familiarity with the current system makes me wonder when what we got now was created.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Before 2007, everyone who passed the FSOT got an invite to the OA.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Gold and a Pager posted:

That's right. They added the PNs and QEP in 2007. I can see both sides to this. Maybe State figured they were extending invitations to a lot of smart people or people who could test well, but didn't have enough other experiences or traits to make them good FSOs, so the QEP could help State weed these candidates out. But on the other hand, that means a lot of candidates who are indeed qualified end up getting cut from the process. Surely this process discourages a lot of people from applying. I'm not looking forward to trying my luck with the QEP again, but that's the name of the game I've chosen to play.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

Gold and a Pager posted:

Wow? Seriously? Was the cutoff more stringent or test harder? It must have been or they'd have far too many OA invitees.

I thought the FSOT in its post-2007 form wasn't all that hard to pass, well besides the essay portion which was hit or miss.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
I don't know how easy/hard it was, but I think it was only offered once a year, which probably cut down on the number of people taking it.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

problematique posted:

Wow? Seriously? Was the cutoff more stringent or test harder? It must have been or they'd have far too many OA invitees.

I thought the FSOT in its post-2007 form wasn't all that hard to pass, well besides the essay portion which was hit or miss.

No, the cutoff was the same - they implemented the QEPs to cut down on OA invitees.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CronoGamer posted:

Can you elaborate a little more on what OTI does? I know their mission statement and all that but was curious about what a program manager might be doing on a regular basis.

So OTI implements short-fuse, quick-impact projects. I'm most familiar with what we did in Lebanon - after a massive twin bombing in an impoverished northern city in August 2013, OTI's local staff was there within 4 hours, replacing street vendors' carts that had been destroyed in the bombing and paying local unemployed youth to clean up the glass and rubble from the bombings. Our OTI program also worked over a few months to revamp the historic food market in the old part of the city after it had been ravaged by several CT operations (and I guess the T operations carried out by ISIL that prompted the CT ops).

OTI's work seems to be much more cutting edge and near the X in terms of getting stuff done quickly. USAID does great work, of course - but their projects tend to be longer in scope, like reforestation or training 100 women to raise bees sustainably or something.

Blooregard
Sep 7, 2012
Had our flag day on Tuesday, I will be moving to Guangzhou, China!

One funny thing was when they said the Vienna post, the whole room groaned, then applauded when the name was read. I think the guy that got it actually feels a bit guilty.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Blooregard posted:

One funny thing was when they said the Vienna post, the whole room groaned, then applauded when the name was read. I think the guy that got it actually feels a bit guilty.

Congratulations, man. I'm sort of hoping to work in China too once I graduate and go through the tests and all the procedures. Do you mind if I PM you questions and such?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Blooregard posted:

Either I know you IRL or you're going to be there with a friend of mine from grad school.

the_chavi posted:

So OTI implements short-fuse, quick-impact projects. I'm most familiar with what we did in Lebanon - after a massive twin bombing in an impoverished northern city in August 2013, OTI's local staff was there within 4 hours, replacing street vendors' carts that had been destroyed in the bombing and paying local unemployed youth to clean up the glass and rubble from the bombings. Our OTI program also worked over a few months to revamp the historic food market in the old part of the city after it had been ravaged by several CT operations (and I guess the T operations carried out by ISIL that prompted the CT ops).

OTI's work seems to be much more cutting edge and near the X in terms of getting stuff done quickly. USAID does great work, of course - but their projects tend to be longer in scope, like reforestation or training 100 women to raise bees sustainably or something.

This is really helpful, thanks. How much of OTI's work would you say takes place in DC vs in the field? Is DC stuff just boring admin work to support the people actually doing things, or is it more planning and coordinating when poo poo hits the fan?

CronoGamer fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 1, 2015

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
edit not quote

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Blooregard posted:

Congrats!

More importantly, were there any crocodile tears?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Blooregard posted:

If you already have Chinese, I'll see you soon! If you don't, enjoy FSI for the next 300 years!

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Coming in at the front end of PCS season is weird. People are pretty burnt out, social groups are solidified, and morale is pretty abysmal.

I'm definitely excited for new arrivals. I'm also tired of people telling me my enthusiasm will wear off. Bitch this is Africa light. Hotels and good food aplenty.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

The Mantis posted:

Coming in at the front end of PCS season is weird. People are pretty burnt out, social groups are solidified, and morale is pretty abysmal.

I'm definitely excited for new arrivals. I'm also tired of people telling me my enthusiasm will wear off. Bitch this is Africa light. Hotels and good food aplenty.

Yeah you'll kinda see that especially when existing people are short. I really don't make friends with new people when I have less than a few months at post. At the same time, I've made really good friends with folks who come in during the same transfer season.

Also I'm on the best TDY right now.

Blooregard
Sep 7, 2012

Zoots posted:

Congrats!

More importantly, were there any crocodile tears?

No tears at all. All in all it was pretty uneventful. We did have one guy walk up when another guy's name was read, they were very similar. That got a laugh out of everyone.

Blooregard
Sep 7, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

If you already have Chinese, I'll see you soon! If you don't, enjoy FSI for the next 300 years!

It'll be soon. I'm IMS, so no silly language training for me. So far I've got hello and thank you under my belt, I'm thinking that will be enough.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TCD posted:

Also I'm on the best TDY right now.

I beg to differ. Pretty sure I am on the best TDY. Though yours is certainly nicer surroundings.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

Tyro posted:

I beg to differ. Pretty sure I am on the best TDY. Though yours is certainly nicer surroundings.

I may be heading to Freetown soon on TDY. Do I get some kind of award for worst TDY?

Blooregard posted:

Congrats dude. I heard that's the place to be in China. I hadn't seen Guangzhou on the EL IMS list before. What other posts did you guys have?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

problematique posted:

I may be heading to Freetown soon on TDY. Do I get some kind of award for worst TDY?

Congrats dude. I heard that's the place to be in China. I hadn't seen Guangzhou on the EL IMS list before. What other posts did you guys have?

Pretty sure Tyro has you beat.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Tyro posted:

I didn't say lucrative but I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012
[quote="problematique" post="448465942"]

Dude, how did you get a TDY? I thought first and second tour IMS were exempt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TCD posted:

I didn't say lucrative but I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far.

Oh I'm enjoying mine too, just in a different way. The distance from the flagpole and amount of autonomy is really, really nice.