Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Blooregard posted:

It'll be soon. I'm IMS, so no silly language training for me. So far I've got hello and thank you under my belt, I'm thinking that will be enough.

Then you will be very busy because Guangzhou Consular's systems melt down every 18 minutes.

But we look forward to having you here because IMS definitely needs the extra help. I think I heard there has been zero growth in IMS positions even though the consulate's staff and workload have like doubled in the last three years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

SCRwM posted:

[quote="problematique" post="448465942"]
I may be heading to Freetown soon on TDY. Do I get some kind of award for worst TDY?

Dude, how did you get a TDY? I thought first and second tour IMS were exempt?

Nope. They usually put something like that in the volunteer requests, but I know other IMS that have done them first tour. I've wanted to, but haven't had the opportunity.

Problematique, I know an IMS in Freetown that is pretty cool. So, if you go there you'll have at least one good person. Unless maybe he medevaced out and that's why they need a TDYer. I'm on Home Leave, so haven't talked to him in like a month.

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

Then you will be very busy because Guangzhou Consular's systems melt down every 18 minutes.

But we look forward to having you here because IMS definitely needs the extra help. I think I heard there has been zero growth in IMS positions even though the consulate's staff and workload have like doubled in the last three years.

As people kept telling me when I went to Chengdu for my first post, "Well, on the bright side, wherever you go next will be a lot easier."

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

SCRwM posted:

I may be heading to Freetown soon on TDY. Do I get some kind of award for worst TDY?

"It depends"

GoodsMarch
Mar 11, 2013

the_chavi posted:

No, the cutoff was the same - they implemented the QEPs to cut down on OA invitees.

I've taken both versions. The pre-2007 test was much harder, and the cutoff was stricter. If I'm not mistaken, the cutoff for passing the FSOT is set just above the 50th percentile. I guarantee you that WAY less than 50% of the people were passing pre-2007.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
So I'm starting this FSO process, but already realized I probably screwed up my application. I checked the 5 point veteran's preference box, reasoning that I will be a veteran if/when I join the Foreign Service. Except I'm still currently active duty. Any way to fix this, or will this not matter much?

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
Pretty sure you committed a felony. Go AWOL and head for Mexico ASAP.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.
My State clearance finally went through.

I'm supposed to start at Main State on August 24.

Still haven't received the firm offer letter though.

Looking forward to transferring because even though I like my job for the most part, I've seen enough of the toxicity to know this is not a good place for me to be if I can help it.

Womacks-JP-23
May 15, 2013

AFStealth posted:

So I'm starting this FSO process, but already realized I probably screwed up my application. I checked the 5 point veteran's preference box, reasoning that I will be a veteran if/when I join the Foreign Service. Except I'm still currently active duty. Any way to fix this, or will this not matter much?

You can't change your application after submitting. I can't imagine this being a problem though. Veterans preference doesn't even count until after you submit your DD214 and only if you pass the OA and get on the register so it's not like this technicality is bringing you any benefit.

Womacks-JP-23
May 15, 2013

zzonkmiles posted:

My State clearance finally went through.

Congrats!

When did you start it? Just interested in comparing timelines.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Womacks-JP-23 posted:

Congrats!

When did you start it? Just interested in comparing timelines.

Note that this is for a Civil Service position at State, not the Foreign Service.

I submitted my initial paperwork in December of last year. My case was formally opened in February. I met with an investigator in April. I went into adjudications in July. And I received a call from HR to set up my entry date at the end of July. So I guess it took 5 months since the case was opened and about 8 months since receiving the actual job offer.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

That's great! Congratulations!

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

TCD posted:

"It depends"

There's no strict rule as far as I know. Maybe you're referring to the formal "request for volunteers" cables, which are longer term stuff (think month+, not short staffing gaps of a few days to week like I usually do). Those formal requests go out of their way to let you know you have to be tenured -- not sure why honestly, seems silly but I guess it serves as a baseline and the Department assumes you know nothing till you tenure. I also think it's also a bureau dependent thing, some bureaus are all about those requests for help, other places are more informal based on connections and bandwidth.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

problematique posted:

There's no strict rule as far as I know. Maybe you're referring to the formal "request for volunteers" cables, which are longer term stuff (think month+, not short staffing gaps of a few days to week like I usually do). Those formal requests go out of their way to let you know you have to be tenured -- not sure why honestly, seems silly but I guess it serves as a baseline and the Department assumes you know nothing till you tenure. I also think it's also a bureau dependent thing, some bureaus are all about those requests for help, other places are more informal based on connections and bandwidth.

What he said.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Womacks-JP-23 posted:

They are being very generous. Let's just ignore that the JLPT doesn't measure speaking at all. There is no way someone with just N2 level Japanese would be able to get a 3 in reading. R3 implies that you could read through the newspaper at a normal pace and N2 only covers half of the joyo kanji list and the reading passages in the JLPT are basically the 6th grade level.

Just looking at speaking, it would be very hard for many N1 passers to check off all the S3 requirements with a high level of confidence. To share some personal information, I passed N1 four years ago and would still struggle on a lot of the S3 checklist here, depending on the topic. I passed my phone test a few weeks ago but I was honestly expecting a S4 and ended up getting knocked down a notch.

http://www.govtilr.org/Skills/speakingassessment.pdf

I think BoF can provide more info what qualifies as a "3" in Japanese.

But for what it's worth, a JLPT 1, KK 1 and the business test will only qualify you as a two.

SCRwM posted:

I TDY'ed to Singapore :getin: First tour. Another TDYed to Nicosia for 6 months and it was a volunteer cable. Both of us weren't tenured at the time (got tenured right out of PCSing) Honestly, i think it depends on coverage and your IMO. The more coverage (bigger post) you get then the more likely you can get a TDY. It also depends on the IMO. Great IMO, they get development/growth and want you to learn as much as possible and spread your reputation. lovely IMO who religiously practices Crab Theory, then you're SOL.

There is quite a few of the latter in IRM i heard. It's hilarious when you get one of those bad IMO's. I counted and mine is up to (legitimately and verified by D.C. HR), twenty-six (26) EEO violations that someone could use to ruin his day. But, Progress!

edit: you can have a great IMO and coverage, but they may want you to focus on your own skillset first. "it depends" is wildly variable and FAM/FAH aren't always followed even when they should be, so it may have to do something with your personality or how you're perceived. You maybe asking to TDY to a post that has a hostile environment or negative morale. It's tough to pick up on things like that and you might not always be privvy to things. My last IMO (who was great), for example, would have the IMS added to IMO list, with the catch that he did not want us to respond to anything unless told. I found it helpful and good way to learn on what current problems we face at a high level and what to expect for the future. My current IMO strongly believes against that "as its not your job."

I'm trying to say don't take that personally but just keep trying your best and it can/will happen eventually. Then you realize its more of the same job just in a different place.

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 6, 2015

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

Skandiaavity posted:

I think BoF can provide more info what qualifies as a "3" in Japanese.

But for what it's worth, a JLPT 1, KK 1 and the business test will only qualify you as a two.

I TDY'ed to Singapore :getin: First tour. Another TDYed to Nicosia for 6 months and it was a volunteer cable. Both of us weren't tenured at the time (got tenured right out of PCSing) Honestly, i think it depends on coverage and your IMO. The more coverage (bigger post) you get then the more likely you can get a TDY. It also depends on the IMO. Great IMO, they get development/growth and want you to learn as much as possible and spread your reputation. lovely IMO who religiously practices Crab Theory, then you're SOL.

There is quite a few of the latter in IRM i heard. It's hilarious when you get one of those bad IMO's. I counted and mine is up to (legitimately and verified by D.C. HR), twenty-six (26) EEO violations that someone could use to ruin his day. But, Progress!

edit: you can have a great IMO and coverage, but they may want you to focus on your own skillset first. "it depends" is wildly variable and FAM/FAH aren't always followed even when they should be, so it may have to do something with your personality or how you're perceived. You maybe asking to TDY to a post that has a hostile environment or negative morale. It's tough to pick up on things like that and you might not always be privvy to things. My last IMO (who was great), for example, would have the IMS added to IMO list, with the catch that he did not want us to respond to anything unless told. I found it helpful and good way to learn on what current problems we face at a high level and what to expect for the future. My current IMO strongly believes against that "as its not your job."

I'm trying to say don't take that personally but just keep trying your best and it can/will happen eventually. Then you realize its more of the same job just in a different place.

It was just surprising to me thats all. We're waaaayyyy understaffed and just getting a few weeks off for R and R was a miracle in itself. 15 weeks until I PCS....

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
Sounds like you need a TDYer. I'll be there Monday.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

problematique posted:

Sounds like you need a TDYer. I'll be there Monday.

That would be epic.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Just found out that a friend failed his OA on Friday. And he had been participating in study sessions for 3 months. My heart breaks for him.

It's only anecdotal, but it seems that the BEX is being a lot more stringent not just with the QEP, but the OA participants in general.

Suuuuucks...

1of7
Jan 30, 2011
Well, I am in DC for consultations, but the only person I could think of to try and set an appointment with told me to email him closer to the date and then never responded to the later email.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

1of7 posted:

Well, I am in DC for consultations, but the only person I could think of to try and set an appointment with told me to email him closer to the date and then never responded to the later email.

Five days of AL then!

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

the_chavi posted:

Five days of AL then!

Yeah, maybe I'll see some of the sights I've never seen before. Need to check Atlas Obscura to see if there is anything cool around. After seeing the #1 result, maybe I should rethink this strategy.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Huh, neat, the public State Department mailing list sent this out today:

quote:

The Foreign Service Officer Test (FSOT) Registration Process Has Changed!

The U.S. Department of State has consolidated the FSOT registration process, allowing you to submit an application and select a seat during the same five-week period immediately prior to a specific testing window.

This new registration process begins on September 30, 2015 and will provide the opportunity to update your application during each registration period prior to the FSOT. You may decide to update your education, experience, and/or career track. Once you submit your application, you cannot change it. Your application is valid only for a specific test date and will expire when the testing window closes. You may register up to three days prior to the opening of the testing window. And please remember that you may only take the FSOT once a year!

Additionally, we will offer the October FSOT at specific Pearson Professional Centers abroad and in Embassies and consulates as resources permit.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

1of7 posted:

Yeah, maybe I'll see some of the sights I've never seen before. Need to check Atlas Obscura to see if there is anything cool around. After seeing the #1 result, maybe I should rethink this strategy.

My mother-in-law just bought me a copy of Secret Washington D.C. - it's super cool. I strongly recommend you check that out. No signs of menstruation museums thus far...

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Stay safe in Turkey, folks.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zzonkmiles posted:

Stay safe in Turkey, folks.

To quote one of my friends who's a local guard in IST, "We gave them a warm welcome!" There's a reason neither this attack nor the AQ 2008 attack didn't get anywhere close to Consulate employees... it's a loving fortress.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Liam Neeson couldn't even get in, and he drove a car through it.. they didn't have a chance.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

I just googled it out of curiosity.

It's literally a fortress. I'm surprised there's not a moat. Even by the high security standards these days for new stuff it's another level...

If I were Regional Lord Commander (RSO?) that rampart looking thing on the left is definitely where I would position my best archers.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Brb, ordering new business cards with title Regional Lord Commander

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Tyro posted:

Brb, ordering new business cards with title Regional Lord Commander

Considering your current gig I think that would totally be appropriate.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I wonder who comes up with the designs for these?

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

problematique posted:

A $2000 bribe to the CDO usually does it.

But seriously, when crafting the bid list remember that it's not just a list in order of where you want to go, which is a mistake a lot of people make. It's all in context of what other people bid. You have that play the game. Have everyone share your bids, try to deconflict #1s. Especially for an IMS class that's not that big this is easy. For example, is everyone bidding a certain place #1 and your #4 isn't getting any takers at #1? Consider moving that #4 to #1 and locking in a more sure choice rather then missing your #1 and sliding down uncontrollably. At the end of the day, that #1 probably isn't all that great and the #4 will be a better tour. I've managed to get two #1s in a row doing it this way.

It's not the place, it's the people that make a post (unless your going to N'djamena or Abuja or something, then it's the post).

As someone who served first tour in Abuja and made it awesome, I refute you, sir!

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Love it.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Bruxism posted:

Love it.

God dammit I need that.

Seasonal Candles
Aug 5, 2015

Metaprocesses bloom like cancer, and awaken, and call themselves I
So I'm a college sophomore international relations major and given the seeming lack of opportunities that degree affords I'm seeing if the foreign service has any opportunities after I graduate. I've read through about 150 pages of this thread and holy poo poo is it useful but is there any casual advice the old timers in this thread can give?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Seasonal Candles posted:

So I'm a college sophomore international relations major and given the seeming lack of opportunities that degree affords I'm seeing if the foreign service has any opportunities after I graduate. I've read through about 150 pages of this thread and holy poo poo is it useful but is there any casual advice the old timers in this thread can give?

Don't make this gig your primary plan. Make it an alternative and be real happy if it comes through.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
And in the meantime, in addition to getting excellent grades in and retaining all of the information from the international relations, economics, and political science courses you are taking, you should do as many extracurriculars as you can--join campus political or charity groups and try to get into leadership positions, attend campus lectures by visiting scholars, join whatever community group you are interested in. Broaden your experiences and meet as many people of different cultures and nationalities as you can. Just going to class and getting good grades is probably not enough.

Also don't go to law school for the love of god. Join the army or the Peace Corps or anything else, really.

Not an FSO, just know what has improved my applications and would have made me a better candidate, sooner. You should be able to pass the FSOT upon graduation but that is the easy part.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Seasonal Candles posted:

Try to do CLS or Boren for language experience abroad. When you finish that program, just stay in whatever country and work for two years - teach English, work for the UN, work at a local media outlet, whatever. Collect good stories and strange diseases.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Joining the military is a really good idea though. Especially if you are a moderately intelligent person who can be an intelligence analyst or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

So the September A-100 bids have gone out.

I've heard from someone on the register that even some 5.8s didn't get bids this time.

Looks like the almost impossible just got even more impossible. And with no November A-100 on the schedule, seems like there are going to be a lot of unhappy 5.5s and 5.6s.

That's not encouraging news.