Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.
I made the mistake of sending out a mass email without getting office clearance first. Let's just say I won't be making that mistake again. And I'm glad I decided not to CC the DAS after all. :cop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
Hah, well I found out this week the hard way that no, I don't actually have release authority, oops. #thingsELOIMSdo

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So I was talking to someone in the FSO earlier today and as people have said, life for couples is really loving hard. :( This makes me sad since this means my relationship and career plans run fairly counter to each other.

What sort of assistance can the State Department provide? Do you guys have any other general advice? My girlfriend studies Opera Singing so it's not like her field is easily shifted around...

Failing all that...is there someplace I can work domestically that also is at least tangentially similar to the FSO? I think I would enjoy the kind of work involved. Research or analysis? Who knows. I'm all ears since I might be taking a sharp turn in my career aspirations sometime in the near future.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Artificer posted:

So I was talking to someone in the FSO earlier today and as people have said, life for couples is really loving hard. :( This makes me sad since this means my relationship and career plans run fairly counter to each other.

What sort of assistance can the State Department provide? Do you guys have any other general advice? My girlfriend studies Opera Singing so it's not like her field is easily shifted around...

Failing all that...is there someplace I can work domestically that also is at least tangentially similar to the FSO? I think I would enjoy the kind of work involved. Research or analysis? Who knows. I'm all ears since I might be taking a sharp turn in my career aspirations sometime in the near future.

If your partner insists on having their own non USG career, yeah it's challenging. My wife and I just had this conversation the other day and we went over some of the things we've done. We've seen the great migration across the savannah along with the big 5. We've walked around the pyramids. We've been drenched by the mist from Iguazu Falls. We've stood at the base of Torres Del Paine. We've looked down at Machu Pichu from Huayna Pichu. We've been on wine tours in Bordeaux and Douro Valley. We've rafted the Nile through class 5 rapids which are now damed up. We're not even 35 yet but we have plans to see more.

Sure, if we were back in the States we'd be making a little more money and she'd have a career but we wouldn't be enjoying life like this... Now to plan our next trip.

All that said, she'd still found meaningful work in each of our posts. She helped open up the Kigali Public Library including getting some of the first books cleared through customs in her capacity as a Rotarian.

So yeah it's hard but there's some amazing opportunities. You just need to evaluate if it's worth it for one spouse to give up their career for the other.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

TCD posted:

If your partner insists on having their own non USG career, yeah it's challenging. My wife and I just had this conversation the other day and we went over some of the things we've done. We've seen the great migration across the savannah along with the big 5. We've walked around the pyramids. We've been drenched by the mist from Iguazu Falls. We've stood at the base of Torres Del Paine. We've looked down at Machu Pichu from Huayna Pichu. We've been on wine tours in Bordeaux and Douro Valley. We've rafted the Nile through class 5 rapids which are now damed up. We're not even 35 yet but we have plans to see more.

Sure, if we were back in the States we'd be making a little more money and she'd have a career but we wouldn't be enjoying life like this... Now to plan our next trip.

All that said, she'd still found meaningful work in each of our posts. She helped open up the Kigali Public Library including getting some of the first books cleared through customs in her capacity as a Rotarian.

So yeah it's hard but there's some amazing opportunities. You just need to evaluate if it's worth it for one spouse to give up their career for the other.

This is a great post.

I'll just add that life as an EFM definitely needs to be an active choice. Not just a "oh we'll figure it out," or "something will happen." His/her priorities/aspirations/happiness need just as much attention as your job, and that can mean being brave, trying tons of new things, and saying yes -- often while you're not around.

e: also, if you hate it, just leave!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

The Mantis posted:

This is a great post.

I'll just add that life as an EFM definitely needs to be an active choice. Not just a "oh we'll figure it out," or "something will happen." His/her priorities/aspirations/happiness need just as much attention as your job, and that can mean being brave, trying tons of new things, and saying yes -- often while you're not around.

e: also, if you hate it, just leave!

In those examples only one of them was part of a TDY (training in Cairo). When we talked about the trade offs of her not having a good career, we determined for us, a job in the States would just be a means to an end for international trips which is what we both really enjoy. Right now, we can be in most cities in Europe in less than 3 hours on tickets that cost less than 200 dollars.

If you're the type of couple that's enjoys staying at home, shopping at mega supermarkets and never trying to learn a foreign language, yeah this isn't the right career.

The regional travel opportunities that the FS provides is amazing. Depending on the cone and post, the job can be okay. But sometimes, even as an IMS, you can be part of or helped things happen that "made a difference" for the USG and our country. That's awesome. Being able to duck over to Paris for a romantic weekend for less than $500 is just a perk that makes this one of the best gigs in the USG :)

So yeah, as a couple this lifestyle can be challenging but it can be amazing if you take full advantage of all the possibilities. Just don't expect it to be easy.

TCD fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 9, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I have to say, reading over more of this thread before and after my question got answered, I get more and more excited about this possibility. I know it's a long-shot that takes time but man I hope I can get in. You guys have mentioned both the downsides and the upsides and the latter far outweighs the former for me. (She says, before her dreams come true and she gets stationed in Russia and regrets not having focused more on somewhere like, say, the Bahamas).

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

TCD posted:

Right now, we can be in most cities in Europe in less than 3 hours on tickets that cost less than 200 dollars.

This is what is so awesome. I'm trying to plan a last minute trip and there are just too many options.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Welp. I wonder what's the over/under on her being able to sing if I get assigned abroad somewhere?

Maybe it could be possible in China but probably not if I'm in Africa somewhere...

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tendai posted:

In terms of education, would people say coming in with a Masters is a good idea or if I just hold an undergraduate degree are there still opportunities? My next year or so is basically either doing the FSOT and trying my damnedest to get down a career path in that or getting into graduate school and going for some manner of international relations-relevant graduate work. Or both at the same time depending on things. Is it worth it for the edge to go deeper down the academic path or is it not going to be too noticeable?

You might consider applying for a Pickering or Rangell fellowship - those would get you an MA in IR of some variety, plus experience at State in internships.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Artificer posted:

Welp. I wonder what's the over/under on her being able to sing if I get assigned abroad somewhere?

Maybe it could be possible in China but probably not if I'm in Africa somewhere...

Our consulate has an a capella group that sings at all kinda of functions. You can always make your own fun if job opportunities aren't available.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
If local laws/post regulations permit it, she could freelance teach.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

the_chavi posted:

You might consider applying for a Pickering or Rangell fellowship - those would get you an MA in IR of some variety, plus experience at State in internships.
Oh sweet, thank you. I didn't even think about things like that, just slipped my mind entirely.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

Artificer posted:

I think it's all perspective and circumstance. Being a single dude in a distant African family post is one of the hardest thing I've ever done.

I don't think it's that hard for couples to be honest. Of course, I'm saying this as someone not in a relationship. But if your spouse is cool working at the mission in a clerical capacity or possibly getting a professional job through one of the family member programs at the mission then it's a sweet gig. Travel the world cheap, don't pay rent, make great money with two of you. Then when you have kids, get great medical care overseas on States dime, send them to the best schools, have tons of time off for paternity leave.

But if your spouse if a high flying type A career person and sacrificing that to join you, your relationship is probably screwed, sorry.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Artificer posted:

Working on the local economy is a "it depends" answer.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Massive bombing in Ankara this morning at a pro-peace rally, at least 86 dead. gently caress everything/one.

(COM accountability complete. But still.)

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

the_chavi posted:

Massive bombing in Ankara this morning at a pro-peace rally, at least 86 dead. gently caress everything/one.

Thanks for the reminder that this FS life is serious business. Thanks to all who serve.

QuackAttackAggie
Dec 16, 2014

the_chavi posted:

Apparently it was a pro-peace with the kurds, pro war on America rally. Not that it changes anything in the end. Speech and the ability to safely assemble are important, no matter the message.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

QuackAttackAggie posted:

Apparently it was a pro-peace with the kurds, pro war on America rally.

What are you talking about? There's only one party in Turkey that would remotely support the latter half of that statement, and they're the ones who would be happiest with arresting/bombing every Kurd in the country. The pro-Kurdish party that organized the rally - and if the reports I read yesterday are correct, at least one of their MPs was killed in the blasts - is absolutely not anti-American.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

the_chavi posted:

What are you talking about? There's only one party in Turkey that would remotely support the latter half of that statement, and they're the ones who would be happiest with arresting/bombing every Kurd in the country. The pro-Kurdish party that organized the rally - and if the reports I read yesterday are correct, at least one of their MPs was killed in the blasts - is absolutely not anti-American.
I was somewhat bewildered by that as well as I didn't think those two areas intersected all that much.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tendai posted:

I was somewhat bewildered by that as well as I didn't think those two areas intersected all that much.

They don't at all, at least in Turkey.

QuackAttackAggie
Dec 16, 2014

the_chavi posted:

I don't speak or read the language. Just going off tweets from reporters translating what the banners in the background said with the communist symbols. Wouldn't surprise me if they were wrong (and it'd probably be widely reported if they were right). It didn't seem like a hostile protest in any of the videos I saw.

QuackAttackAggie fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 11, 2015

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

QuackAttackAggie posted:

I don't speak or read the language. Just going off tweets from reporters translating what the banners in the background said with the communist symbols. Wouldn't surprise me if they were wrong (and it'd probably be widely reported if they were right). It didn't seem like a hostile protest in any of the videos I saw.

Er....

Nevermind.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

QuackAttackAggie posted:

The communists in Turkey - all three hundred of them - show up to pretty much every rally that is or is perceived to be anti-government. Gay pride parade? Gay communists! Armenian rights demonstrations? Communists discover their Armenian roots! Kurdish rights? Oh gently caress yeah the communists will be there. Judging what actually was and what has almost universally been reported as a pro-Kurdish rally by the signs held by communists is to be quite credulous.

TL;DR: don't believe everything you read in the media, especially in the immediate aftermath of a major terrorist attack.

the_chavi fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 11, 2015

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Edited to fix a duplicate post. I need a drink.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I don't suppose any of you fellas know what working as a Domestic Civil Service dude is like?

Edit: This is spurred by my continual interest in the field but the realization that I might not be able to reconcile a FSO career with my relationship, with which I'm rather attached to.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 12, 2015

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Artificer posted:

I don't suppose any of you fellas know what working as a Domestic Civil Service dude is like?

Edit: This is spurred by my continual interest in the field but the realization that I might not be able to reconcile a FSO career with my relationship, with which I'm rather attached to.

I'm a Civil Service employee with State. What do you want to know?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

zzonkmiles posted:

Well, for starters, what is it that you do? Why did you decide to go into that job? And how's job satisfaction? :v:

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

zzonkmiles posted:

foreign affairs officer - how likely is it to get a FAO job without employment preference or PMF?

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Happydayz posted:

foreign affairs officer - how likely is it to get a FAO job without employment preference or PMF?

Impossible, based on my husband's experience. =/

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

the_chavi posted:

Impossible, based on my husband's experience. =/

Welp. That...sucks. drat.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Job satisfaction, from everything that I hear with CS employees, is probably one of the bigger "It Depends." Mainly on who is the boss at the time and takes a very good reading of office dynamics.

Hope all our Embassy bros in Ankara are safe :|

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Artificer posted:

Well, for starters, what is it that you do? Why did you decide to go into that job? And how's job satisfaction? :v:

I have managed foreign assistance programs in Afghanistan (although based in DC) and done budget/strategic planning as a civil servant. The former job was probably sexier superficially, as it involved in a lot of travel and time in overseas and allowed me to be responsible for a big pot of money. I think I like the budget stuff better, although I can see myself bouncing back and forth between the two.

I took the first job as a PMF because that's where the offer came from, and I had some (very limited) background with South Asia and with the types of programs I was designing and implementing. I took the budget job because I wanted to do something different, and budget formulation/planning seemed pretty interesting and like a useful skill to have.

The bureau that I work in has a very high number of DC-based civil servants, so the culture is pretty conducive to understanding the career development of a civil servant and to moving up to mid-level leadership positions. Whenever I've done rotations or details outside it's been kind of hit or miss.

I don't know any foreign affairs officers in my bureau who were hired outside of the PMF or other career entry programs.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Bidding, a haiku.

What am I doing

looking now so far afield

that wasn't the plan

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Business of Ferrets posted:

Bidding, a haiku.

What am I doing

that wasn't the plan

Where did you get sent to?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Artificer posted:

Where did you get sent to?

Still unknown, though it looks like I'll probably get my top choice. When I went back and checked, that post wasn't on my initial list of desire assignments. Amazing how things develop!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Business of Ferrets posted:

Bidding, a haiku.

What am I doing

that wasn't the plan

This is pretty good

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Bloodnose posted:

How do you schedule a language test with your OA? When I did the LNA OA it was just included as part of the process but I know I can score substantially higher now so I want to do it again.

For anyone else who might need this, the answer is to search for FSI testing on OpenNet and then log in to a system that is broken and won't accept your login so you send an email to the office instead and then they ask you when you wanna take your test and then you tell them and they schedule it for you.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Oh bidding...

What a lovely game of diplomacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Artificer posted:

I'm a program analyst in ECA (Educational and Cultural Affairs). I monitor some of the exchange visitor programs, create and send visa documentation to our embassies abroad, and refer cases of misconduct involving exchange visitors and program sponsors. My job satisfaction is quite high, especially since my two previous federal jobs were summa cum lousy. I decided to go for this job (which involved a demotion) because I liked the idea of working with international students and visitors and could use my skills as a cross-cultural communicator and writer. I have the opportunity for domestic travel, but no foreign travel.

My boss is very fair and understanding. I have pleasant and intelligent coworkers. I rarely feel bored at work; there's always something to do.

Be warned that State is very difficult to get into. And the Civil Service route may be even more difficult to succeed in than the Foreign Service route because there are fewer openings and there's always the threat of an inside hire sabotaging your chances at an interview. Job announcements for State tend to fall into one of these four categories:

1. Short-term detail assignments for current State employees. (Think of these as TDY assignments that are not advertised to the general public.)
2. Open only to current State Department employees. (They usually have the required security clearance and already have the institutional knowledge.)
3. Open to all current and former federal employees. (I got my job at State from this kind of announcement.)
4. Open to all US citizens. (Good luck with this one.)

Most job announcements that I've seen tend to fall into category 2, followed by 3. Public announcements for all US citizens occasionally pop up, but you are then competing with A TON of people and it's quite hard to make the cert (shortlist for interviews).

Several people in my office got into State by taking demotions or by making lateral transfers. If you really want to work for State, you may have to be more flexible with what jobs you are willing to take or how much money you are willing to make. When you have more than 500 applicants for one job opening, you tend to be a bit less picky with what you're willing to work for.