Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007
I'm in Japan and I have been thinking about biting the bullet and working with State, so signed up for the test two days ago. The email said invitations would go out in early May, but I've yet to get anything more than the robo-mail I got upon registering. Now that I finally took the plunge and signed up, I'm really worried that I'm going to fall through the cracks, having waited so long to register and being in a foreign country. I know it says the deadline is May 25, but I kinda really want to get it now. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007

Skandiaavity posted:

It's been awhile, but I think you get a robo-mail that confirms the test date and time, then you show up there for the FSOT. Unless you mean you mean the OA, in which case :iiam:

It was just for the FSOT. It finally came through, though. Needing two forms of ID to take the test is kind of a pain in the rear end. I hope my drivers license hasn't expired yet...

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007
Whew, passed! I thought my essay was complete garbage, but w/e. I'm not complaining! I have a feeling I'm going to get dinged on the QEP, though.

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007
I'm actually looking at the QEP and seeing that you have to put references down for each of your stories. Do they contact everyone you put down, or is it more of a maybe they will, maybe they won't thing to keep you honest? I guess it's not a big deal, but should I be telling my references to expect a call from the federal gov't or just 'hey, don't be alarmed if you get a call' kinda thing?

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007

Business of Ferrets posted:

Heh, my reward for being "on track" is another year of full-time language study. At least I get to do this one in-country!

(Seriously, a 2 is nothing special, but it means I'm halfway to where I need to be.)

Congrats, but it's kind of odd that your speaking abilities are the same level as your reading. Isn't an R2 being able to read newspaper articles? Newspapers are crazy complicated here! I equate that level of reading ability with drat near native level speaking. Do I just not understand State language grading or something?

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007

Business of Ferrets posted:

I can do newspapers in general, though I still have real problems with editorials and other arts/opinion pieces. But I can knock out general articles with good comprehension. And for the test one has to read fast, so that is a skill I'm working on, too. The Interagency Language Roundtable scale defines skills at the 2 level (it is a 5-point scale) as limited professional proficiency. For comparison, 2 is usually the target level for newly minted military linguists. Next month I'll start a second year of study in Japan, with the goal of getting me to the 3 level.

We spent two hours a day on newspaper reading, and papers are all about exposure to kanji and vocab once you've got the grammar down. I would usually make a point of talking about the previous day's reading topics in conversation class, so that helped reinforce my retention. I had an advantage in already reading Chinese, so the characters weren't new to me, but plenty of folks hit the same proficiency levels without prior kanji knowledge.

Yeah, the kanji is a loving killer in editorials. I guess that makes the JLPT N2 near level 5, then. I feel a lot better at putting myself where I did on the application, now.

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007
I took it last minute after a friend talked me into doing it with him, so I didn't study at all. It's super easy if you paid attention in social studies/ gov't class in high school. Just make sure your writing doesn't suck.

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007
I took the test in Tokyo in June, and I brought my bag and cell phone. I had to leave the cell with the guard at reception in the embassy proper. It's like going into a secure highrise office. We all just left our bags at the back of the test room. They were about 20 feet away at all times and there were only 6 other test takers and 2 procters in the room, so it's not like anyone could just walk by and take them.

Jacobobb fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 4, 2012

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007
Edited out.

Jacobobb fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 4, 2012

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007
Man, washed out on QEP. It wouldn't be so depressing if there was some feedback to go with it.

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007
Do QEP questions/ topics stay pretty static, year to year? Since I got dinged on that this time around, I'm wondering if I should rewrite the ones I submitted this summer to make a few of them suck a bit less for the next time around or would that be a waste of time?

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007
Just take it. It costs nothing, and worst case scenario is you fail. So what? Best case is you pass.

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007

problematique posted:

the 2:1 attrition replacement rumor

I took the FSOT at the embassy in Japan 2 weeks ago and the head of HR came in before the test to answer any questions we had, and he straight up said they're only hiring at 50%. I really hope that changes soon.

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007
In an effort to not wash out on QEP for the second year in a row, any advice? Should we style these like the long essay from the FSOT? ie 5 paragraphs with a conclusion and avoid passive voice, or just type a long wall of text while cramming as much detail as possible into the 1300 character limit? I was really frustrated last year because there is literally zero feedback other than 'you failed, go screw'.

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007

DracoArgentum posted:

Waiting on the list of overseas locations offering tests is nerve wracking... I'm sure the wait for scheduling the test window itself will drive me even more crazy since I can only go on weekends...

Do they even do it on weekends? This year was my second time taking it and I never had a non-weekday choice to schedule.

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007
Man, this is the second year in a row that me and the QEP can't get along... Let's see if I can go three for three next year!

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007

d1rtbag posted:

Be prepared to make those examples SHORT. You need to compress as much info as possible into a small space.

I've taken it twice so far (drat qep), and each time all my bio answers were, "I did a thing. It was hard because..." My bio section score has been super high each time and I don't think my examples were that great, so I think the way you word it is key. Have a specific example for each of the dimensions.

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007
So, I have registered to take the fsot again. I know in the past we had to give them a cc number in case we didn't show for the test so they could charge us fifty bucks. This time around, it hasn't asked me for anything, yet the fine print clearly says they will charge you if you miss your appointment. I see nothing else to fill out, and my test is coming up in less than 2 weeks. Do they not actually care anymore, or did I miss something?

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007
I failed for the econ track. They were my strongest essays, yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007
I discovered that the boxes allow you to use bullet points (alt+7), but I'm almost positive that would be frowned upon.