Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Only took three weeks of procrastinating on papers at 4am reading to get through the whole thread. Sign me up as another undergrad with aspirations to join the FS!

I don't remember hearing an answer to this question:

I'm planning on doing a Master's International MPA degree (or an MPA in general). Does having a Master's boost your starting income, or anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

So, is anyone else applying for the Summer Internship Program? I'm hoping to get in between my Graduation and going on to get an MPA through the Peace Corps' Master's International Program.

http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.aspx?JobID=90717417

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

So I sent in my application for the summer internship program last night. Lets hope I didn't gently caress it up! I think I should more than enough work and international experience for them, and my Undergrad grades are excellent. But the written sections of the application was very vague, and I don't think I wrote well.

But lets hope I'll be in Japan/Singapore/Korea/China by June!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Good luck with that; I was a Boren scholar (Thai) with almost 3 years of undergrad overseas, was only good enough to make alternate for Bangkok. That was my second try, the first time I didn't even make alt.

I... I.... :smith:

Oh well, I'm 90% sure I'll get into the Master's International program, so a Masters plus Peace Corps service is bound to get me in, right? Right?

Right?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I applied to the Summer Internship program with the Foreign Service, and one of the requirements was that you had to pass a Secret/Top Secret security clearance. I haven't heard anything back about it yet (I don't think we will until about April), but I did have a couple questions on this part of it.

Do Security clearances travel with you to other departments, say from State to Interior, or even Public -> Private?

Does it need to be renewed occasionally?

Are you allowed to say you have Security Clearances?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

That is pretty much what I thought it was about. Thanks guys!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Management and Economics are pretty obvious for outside work, but Public Diplomacy? I'd think that would be different enough from normal PR to not have a close private business equivalent.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

^^ Me too

I had a question about other international programs from the State department, specifically USAID. USAID has its own long-term abroad program (though more centered around the third-world, I'm sure). Does USAID work separately from the various embassies that y'all work at. Is the hiring process the same, and are workers able to side-step into the diplomatic programs?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Vilerat posted:

Saw 'W' in his boxers at that summit because he forgot his curtains were open,

Hey, that is a State Secret mister! The Secret Service has been dispatched. Assume the submission position, as they will be with you shortly.

Seriously, they were Pink, weren't they?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

nm posted:

"Why do we need diplomacy when we have guns?" -- The right wing

Pressure despots to leave when their people are protesting and on the edge of violent revolution? It has never worked before! Except, you know, recently... and before

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Quodio Stotes posted:

Just read this

I still plan on taking the test in June however. Lets hope a lot of less than intelligent people are taking the exam!

Damnit, I'm going to sign up for that. You better not be taking my slot!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Vilerat posted:

I'd like the world to please consider only having major events during normal business hours.

Love,

IMS worldwide.

It is normal business hours somewhere! :eng101: Think globally man!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I've heard they serve Soylent Green in the 'zone

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

What is AIP? It will be good to know once I start taking the test this Fall.

And another question: Doing a Masters in Public Affairs starting this autumn. If I, somehow, get in immediately (which will probably take at least a year) you are allowed to defer the start time for up to 6 months, correct? Being able to finish school would be nice, especially with that sweet starting pay boost for a Masters.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Diplomaticus posted:

Reposting from the yahoogroup:

Damnit, ever week it seems that I kick myself for taking Japanese instead of Mandarin at college. :argh:

VVV Just graduated last week. And both the Chinese and Japanese professors quit this year because my school treats non-Spanish/French languages like poo poo.

Slaan fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 27, 2011

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I'm guessing there are huge parties on the 4th at every Embassy, that are required attendance?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

Goon diplomacy is the best diplomacy.

Goons truly are the best face of America :patriot:

Slaan fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 14, 2011

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

That last 3 posts have scared the poo poo out of me. Finally time to sign up for the October FSOT. I don't care if it happens around my Master's mid-semester testing. :staredog:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Its a puppy! :3:

Tortilla Maker posted:

Fountain of youth has been in present day Turkey all this time?!

What, you think Mediterraneans live healthier than us because of their diet?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Which language? Also, :argh:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I hope you like frustration and studying a single kanji for hours because it just won't stick in your head. :argh:

But hey, once you get to Japan its awesome! :japan:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Wow, great addition Wazoo. That or Econ is what I'm aiming at right now!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

^^^ Listen to this man. Oh god, listen to Kalman.

Chantilly Say posted:

I'm a college junior at the moment thinking of the Foreign Service as a career. The OP recommends a master's or equivalent experience--that's fine, I was already thinking of grad school. My question is, is there a strong preference of subject when it comes to grad school or experience? I'm polsci undergrad. Coming out of this, what would prepare me for foreign service, ideally Political track? A master's in polsci? Law school? Apologies if this is addressed somewhere between here and the first page.

It sounds to me like a Masters in just about any related field can get you in. I'm doing one in Public Affairs and could easily go into any of the tracks due to the broadness of the field; a polisci person would work well in Economics/Political tracks and a marketer might be able to get into Econ or Public Diplomacy.

Do what you want.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

1of7 posted:

Some would say a downside to learning Chinese would be that if you get the points then you'd have to serve in China. LOL

I guess you could technically serve in Taiwan as well. But good luck getting that on your first 2!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Barracuda Bang! posted:

I'm not an FSO or anything, but I would think an MPA would be more appropriate.

I'm doing an MPA right now. They are literally the same thing, except they reverse the titles. "Public Finance" v 'Finance' and 'Government Regulations' v 'Business Regulations,' etc. We even share a good 1/3 of our classes with the MBA program.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

The answer to just about every 'Why is America poo poo at/in X" is Congress is an rear end in a top hat.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

hitension posted:

That was my sneaking suspicion, but it doesn't explain a few things.
Other countries also have parliament/congress/etc systems where people vote on things. Some countries are even more conservative than the US in certain aspects or during certain times.
But the US is always the notable exception in ratifying international treaties.
Some countries can ratify treaties with reservations, why doesn't the US just do this?
There must be some more detailed legal explanation?

Two reasons:

1. Republicans are insane.
2. We da big dawg, we don't need no drat Uurpee-ans. :clint:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

So I'm in the middle of my Peace Corps service and about to finish training. I asked the charge d'affaires when she spoke to us if they offer the FSOT at the embassy and she said they did once a year. Great! But it will be a bit hard to study for it from the middle of the African savannah. Did anyone take the FSOT (and pass it?) during Peace Corps service here? I'm interested in what you think. I'll certainly try it both years I'm here in West Africa, but if there are any tips, I'd love to hear.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

So are y'all allowed to wear (appropriately professional) local clothing to work as well as your standard suit and tie? It would be pretty great to see FSOs rocking a bright pink-and-yellow West African behind the desk.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Saho posted:

http://www.peacecorps.gov/

It's like the foreign service but not as classy.

Hey! We are hella classy. We just class it up in local clothing while the FSOs are stuck in hot, sweaty suits and paperwork.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah, my Peace Corps close-mate took most of the portions here in Benin, but he has to fly over to New York to take the Oral exam, at his own expense. Ironically, its the same weekend he was supposed to be meeting with Peace Corps staff to pick his close-of-service date. :ironicat:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

A few years after finding this thread, I finally signed up for the October FSOT. :getin:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Same, just received mine.

E: Damnit, apparently the Embassy isn't offering the October test here in Benin even though they did it last year in October. Knew I should have grabbed the June test, because two of my friends took it. :argh:

Slaan fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 4, 2013

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

So I have ~5 months next fall (Aug-Dec) after I close my Peace Corps service before I get back to finish my Masters. I was thinking of applying for one of the State internships for that time period for the work experience and far smaller field of competition (thanks Colleges!).

Can anyone tell me what the generaal things interns at State work on? I am guessing doing basic paperwork, gophering and shadowing?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Good to hear that interns at State can actually do things. When I have interned for my university and a business it was very much :effort: stapling. I was planning to apply to a country in Africa since I am already in Benin.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Me too. I guess next test I'll put in for Management, my other favorite cone. :psyduck:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Hollerin posted:

Right, right.

After this last big grant I just lost, I have a new career path. I could go and apply for a middle of the road grad program that might be nothing special, or strong, and then try the job market again... or

USAid, PeaceCorps, volunteer abroad, get that experience of living abroad for an extended amount of time, understand what the pertinent local problems may be, take that, combine with abroad experience to get into a great masters program (with the connections you have just made doing this) and then set your career.

I think that's it...

USAID? Isn't that even harder to get into? I am pretty sure you need at least a Masters to get into it for the most part due to the high levels of program design and monitoring implicit in the positions; you don't really learn it until grad school.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

surrender posted:

How heavily does foreign work experience weigh on applications? I took the FSOT in 2011 and barely passed - destroyed the Job Knowledge and English Expression sections, but did very poorly on Biographic Information since I had no overseas experience and an uninspiring job history. I worked an office job after that, but since September, I've been working on a DoS-funded agricultural development project in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. I plan on staying here for at least one more year and then taking the FSOT after moving back to the US. Would this experience help my chances? I'm fluent in Spanish, and working on getting my French up to par right now.

Eh, take the FSOT again in the next two years. Worst case, you get more practice taking it. Check out the DoS website to see if your embassy offers it. If they don't maybe one of the nearby country's does.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Congratulations man.

Now if only they would offer the bloody FSOT here in Benin. They aren't offering it this June and offered it the last time in June 2013. More than a year between the tests here, and I'm not allowed to go to Ghana/Nigeria to take it. Peace Corps/Embassy Benin :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

The Mantis posted:

Woah.

My wife is a recent RPCV from Benin. We bussed over to Accra when I came and saw her (my god, Benin), and I remember her talking about people taking the same route for GRE tests. They really don't let you do it anymore?

No, they let you taxi/bus over to Ghana to take the GRE/FSOT, etc. But I am not allowed to because it will be during my last 3 months of service. We are supposed to spend the last three months sitting in our village doing nothing because... well, nobody is sure why. But I'm not allowed to leave to do it, because of that. :(

What village was she in? I'm up in the central north area. :smaug: