Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«316 »
SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Uncle Caveman posted:

e: i can also show you how to make an indian vest out of a paper grocery bag

you hold the paper grocery bag open and say "one indian vest, please" and hand them some smallpox, and then you get a vest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I WANT A PONY TOO

So, I just bought a round butt S&W Model 36 for ~$340 OTD.

The thing is pretty cool, and I have wanted one for a while. I thought I checked it out pretty good while I was there, but I think I may have messed up a little...

First, the mess-up: It locks up nice and tight in SA, very little cylinder play even when not cocked, and if I squeeze the trigger nice and smooth the cylinder locks up long before the hammer drops on every chamber. However, if I pull the trigger very slowly, it doesn't seem to lock until the hammer is dropping. If I hold the trigger down after the hammer drops, the cylinder is locked up tight. Is this going to kill me?

Second, and probably related: The gun has diamond grips on it that match the frame and the original box on it. Underneath the yoke is stamped MOD. 36. Serial is 4974xx. On the yoke though is a different number - 432xx. Also, there is a heart stamp, a "G" stamp, and some other stamp that looks like a question mark or 2. I assume I got shafted and found one with a mismatched cylinder/yoke, eh?

I didn't even realize that was a serial, and the whole thing is in such excellent condition that I didn't worry too much - it's probably 95%, has the original box, and the original owner's will executor sold it to the shop.

Edit: They also had a 2" Dan Wesson for $250.

With a fixed barrel.

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at May 26, 2012 around 02:54

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Oh, this gun I paid full market price for at an online auction visible to the entire internet?

Heh, I practically stole it.

I'm rather pleased indeed.

IuniusBrutus posted:

So, I just bought a round butt S&W Model 36 for ~$340 OTD.

The thing is pretty cool, and I have wanted one for a while. I thought I checked it out pretty good while I was there, but I think I may have messed up a little...

First, the mess-up: It locks up nice and tight in SA, very little cylinder play even when not cocked, and if I squeeze the trigger nice and smooth the cylinder locks up long before the hammer drops on every chamber. However, if I pull the trigger very slowly, it doesn't seem to lock until the hammer is dropping. If I hold the trigger down after the hammer drops, the cylinder is locked up tight. Is this going to kill me?

Second, and probably related: The gun has diamond grips on it that match the frame and the original box on it. Underneath the yoke is stamped MOD. 36. Serial is 4974xx. On the yoke though is a different number - 432xx. Also, there is a heart stamp, a "G" stamp, and some other stamp that looks like a question mark or 2. I assume I got shafted and found one with a mismatched cylinder/yoke, eh?

I didn't even realize that was a serial, and the whole thing is in such excellent condition that I didn't worry too much - it's probably 95%, has the original box, and the original owner's will executor sold it to the shop.

Edit: They also had a 2" Dan Wesson for $250.

With a fixed barrel.

The yoke and frame should have numbers on it that match, but they aren't the serial number. You did fine there.

The serial should be found under the barrel, on the cylinder face, under the extractor (which is nearly impossible to see on a j-frame) and on the butt of the gun.

Sounds like you might have a minor timing issue, if you cock the gun slowly until it is fully cocked can you move the cylinder either way at all, until it goes click maybe?

It may not be an issue, if pulling the trigger locks it into place that's part of what the safety is doing, as long as it is locked up tight and timed correctly when the trigger is depressed that's what matters.

Uncle Caveman posted:

Who makes those grips? That style is one of the few finger-grooves that actually works for me on a revolver.

No idea, I liked the look of them and they were all of $5 at a gun show. So I bought them. Turns out they are perfect for carry.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

It may not be an issue, if pulling the trigger locks it into place that's part of what the safety is doing, as long as it is locked up tight and timed correctly when the trigger is depressed that's what matters.
My understanding is that this generally means the gun is safe to fire, but also likely on its way toward working itself into not being quite so safe if something isn't done about it at some point. Am I wrong? Would love to be, as it would mean I don't need to worry about finding a smith for my beat to hell MR73.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I WANT A PONY TOO

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

The yoke and frame should have numbers on it that match, but they aren't the serial number. You did fine there.

The serial should be found under the barrel, on the cylinder face, under the extractor (which is nearly impossible to see on a j-frame) and on the butt of the gun.

Sounds like you might have a minor timing issue, if you cock the gun slowly until it is fully cocked can you move the cylinder either way at all, until it goes click maybe?

No idea, I liked the look of them and they were all of $5 at a gun show. So I bought them. Turns out they are perfect for carry.

There aren't any serials under the barrel, and none I can see on the cylinder. I'm glad about the yoke number not needing to match - the gun looks utterly unmolested, so I would have been just a bit surprised if it wasn't the original part.

If I cock the hammer back to the SA notch, it locks into place. If I slowly squeeze the trigger in DA, the cylinder doesn't lock into place before the hammer drops. With the trigger most of the way depressed, I can turn the cylinder a hair and it locks up. Good? Bad? Eh? FWIW, the reset on the trigger is pretty rough too, if that has anything to do with it.

In any case, I have a the revolver bug now, and I really need a N-frame to go with this and my Model 10.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Oh, this gun I paid full market price for at an online auction visible to the entire internet?

IuniusBrutus posted:

There aren't any serials under the barrel, and none I can see on the cylinder. I'm glad about the yoke number not needing to match - the gun looks utterly unmolested, so I would have been just a bit surprised if it wasn't the original part.

If I cock the hammer back to the SA notch, it locks into place. If I slowly squeeze the trigger in DA, the cylinder doesn't lock into place before the hammer drops. With the trigger most of the way depressed, I can turn the cylinder a hair and it locks up. Good? Bad? Eh? FWIW, the reset on the trigger is pretty rough too, if that has anything to do with it.

In any case, I have a the revolver bug now, and I really need a N-frame to go with this and my Model 10.

Sounds like you are on the edge of having a timing issue there. I would guess if you could take good close up pictures of the extractor star and the hand (which you can do by opening the cylinder, pushing the cylinder release thumb latch forward and cocking the gun) I could confirm that it's just wear.

When I have seen that problem in the past it is because the hand that locks in and to one of the notches on the star is worn down just a bit, or the star is worn down just a bit, or both, causing the issue. Replacing the hand might clear up the problem for you. However, if you have tight lockup on each chamber after pulling the trigger you should be just fine to shoot it.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I WANT A PONY TOO

I was having issues getting decent pictures of something so small - I need a camera with a macro setting. Pictures probably aren't clear enough, but I tried. Any markings on it are grease/oil - the thing really is immaculate, which is why I'm kinda bummed if it's mechanically wearing down.

(click for huge)

Is replacing the cylinder hand something I can do? Or does it need fitting? Are there any reasonable smiths I could have take care of that for me? S&W did a great job on my Grandpa's M10...for a large price.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

anyone want a project wheelgun?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=289323046

looks like it was in a fire?

CanAm
Jan 4, 2009

Eh.

Here, have some more wheelguns.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

IuniusBrutus posted:

I was having issues getting decent pictures of something so small - I need a camera with a macro setting. Pictures probably aren't clear enough, but I tried. Any markings on it are grease/oil - the thing really is immaculate, which is why I'm kinda bummed if it's mechanically wearing down.

(click for huge)

Is replacing the cylinder hand something I can do? Or does it need fitting? Are there any reasonable smiths I could have take care of that for me? S&W did a great job on my Grandpa's M10...for a large price.

I had a Model 19 with an extremely tight cylinder. For less than $100, they replaced the cylinder and crane, hand-fitting everything. It took them a while to do it, but the work was fantastic.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Apparently there was a polished-blue Ruger GP100 (a Lipsey's dealer exclusive):

Why didn't I ever know about this before, and why does gunblast.com have the only somewhat decent pictures?

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

SadWhaleFamily posted:

Why didn't I ever know about this before, and why does gunblast.com have the only somewhat decent pictures?

Cabelas had quite a few of them some time back. I manhandled one of them, they are really nice. I suspect they are among the only safe queen gp100s you will ever find.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Cabelas had quite a few of them some time back. I manhandled one of them, they are really nice. I suspect they are among the only safe queen gp100s you will ever find.

I only wish they came in 6" barrels, too. Although the 5" barrel lengths were pretty awesome too.

(I keep believing that the target grey models came in 5" lengths, but that was never true)

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Ha ha! Pain is hilarious!

SadWhaleFamily posted:

Holy poo poo that is awesome.

Also, anyone have a go-to source for wood SP101 grips that aren't on like 9 month backorder?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

DJExile posted:

Holy poo poo that is awesome.

Also, anyone have a go-to source for wood SP101 grips that aren't on like 9 month backorder?

The factory ones with the wood panels, or something like Eagle?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Bam, yes those Eagle ones. I was trying to remember them. Thanks

QuarkMartial
Sep 25, 2004

I've seen the future, and it has hooves.

My love/hate relationship with my Redhawk grips continues. The rubber Pachmayr grips are great and comfortable... but they're not wood. As we all know, wood is classy as gently caress. I tossed the Hogues that came with the gun back on there. Hopefully I can swing by the range this weekend and try them out. With Trail Boss they shouldn't be as painful as they are with regular magnum loads.

Old pic, but that's what all three look like at the moment. T-Grip love.

...And I'm pretty sure this was brought about by a rainy afternoon full of Dirty Harry movies. I definitely want a M29 now, though I think I want a snub instead.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

~good-bye cows~

Has anyone bought new T-grips recently? I was looking for info on them, or at least some used ones, and apparently the manufacturer briefly shut down?
http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-re...ping-again.html

There's only a handful on ebay at the moment and bids are up to almost $40, with buy it now for ~$55. Ugh.

I'm looking for a #1 and a #3R if anyone is aware of a current auction I may have missed. J-frame and round butt Model 10.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Today I picked up a 4" GP100 that I got off Gunbroker from my FFL. I put 100 rounds through it and the only thing I don't particularly care for is the Hogue finger groove rubber grips. Any suggestions? I'm not too particular about looks, I just don't want finger grooves.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Craptacular posted:

Today I picked up a 4" GP100 that I got off Gunbroker from my FFL. I put 100 rounds through it and the only thing I don't particularly care for is the Hogue finger groove rubber grips. Any suggestions? I'm not too particular about looks, I just don't want finger grooves.

You could always get the old factory Ruger rubber grips with rosewood inlay. They're usually under $40. I switched out the Hogue groove grips with them.

Here's an eBay Buy It Now listing for $33 shipped.

e: If you want to go super classy, Eagle Grips come well-recommended: http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/Rose...-Super-Red.html

SadWhaleFamily fucked around with this message at Jun 3, 2012 around 04:17

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

death to hogue rubber

speaking of ruger wheelgats i have been playing with the new 4.2" SP101 .357s with the fiber front sight and oh my goddddddddd they're adorable as poo poo son

QuarkMartial
Sep 25, 2004

Gtab posted:

death to hogue rubber

speaking of ruger wheelgats i have been playing with the new 4.2" SP101 .357s with the fiber front sight and oh my goddddddddd they're adorable as poo poo son

I really loved the SP101 I had, though it was a snubnose. I'd buy another one if S&W didn't have my heart

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

SadWhaleFamily posted:

You could always get the old factory Ruger rubber grips with rosewood inlay. They're usually under $40. I switched out the Hogue groove grips with them.

These'll do. Thanks!

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Gtab posted:

death to hogue rubber

I usually hate Hogue rubber grips, but on the SP101 and GP100 they actually fit my hand pretty well.

Yeah, those little SP101s are awesome.

In terms of Gp100 grips, just get some of the original wood paneled rubber grips. They look great and they feel surprisingly good.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

I bought a new wheelgun today

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Nice!

Only vaguely related:

QuarkMartial
Sep 25, 2004

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I'm jealous. That's my ideal pocket carry gun.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

QuarkMartial posted:

I'm jealous. That's my ideal pocket carry gun.

That's exactly why I bought it. I didn't want a hammerless though, and even though it looks a bit derpy with the hunchback, I like it.

There it is with its bigger Model 10 brother.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

That's exactly why I bought it. I didn't want a hammerless though, and even though it looks a bit derpy with the hunchback, I like it.

There it is with its bigger Model 10 brother.

It's a good example of function over form.

They do look better with T-Grips.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

I want T-Grips for both my S&Ws, but I just can't bring myself to mail a $60+ check off somewhere with no idea when I'll ever get the product.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

~good-bye cows~

Ran across this guy the other day while looking for T-grip substitutes or auctions.
http://www.bkgrips.com/

I think I'm going to give him a shot. He only has 2 models currently though.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Is that your 632? at first glance on my phone it looked like you managed to get another turtlehead squib

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

n0tqu1tesane posted:

That's exactly why I bought it.

Now you just need some Crimson Trace Lasergrips so you can own the night like me and Scott Wagner.

Uncle Caveman posted:

Is that your 632? at first glance on my phone it looked like you managed to get another turtlehead squib

Yup. To the first part, that is.

Ragitsu
Apr 12, 2010

How many of you folks Open Carry?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Ragitsu posted:

Short version: Nobody because it's silly, attracts unnecessary attention and

Longer version: There's really nothing OC does for you that CCW can't, ignoring people OCing at the range, or on duty or hunting.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Open carry is awful and it's probably best discussed in the general questions thread rather than here, so I won't get into every detail on why it's such a bad idea. Wheelguns!

I shot my 632 some more yesterday. The guy to the left of me actually jumped when I started firing it, and a guy 4 lanes over asked what the gently caress I was shooting. .327 is a rude surprise when you're not expecting it

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I open carry regularly!

when I'm working on the farm

where no one will a) see the gun or b) give a poo poo if they do

so, in conclusion, YAY WHEELGUNS

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

Dr. Pre-Med Student C. Bear knows a thing or two about medicine. Why, just the other day in lab, he learned

Ragitsu posted:

I only open carry when I am hiking in the woods or at a range full of other people with guns.

Have never/will never open carry in a regular people live here kind of place.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

DJExile posted:

Short version: Nobody because it's silly, attracts unnecessary attention and

Longer version: There's really nothing OC does for you that CCW can't, ignoring people OCing at the range, or on duty or hunting.

I'm a bit late to the party, but others have already noted when open carry is a fine idea: when you aren't around a lot of people.

I open carry every time I go hiking anywhere that hasn't turned into some sort of yuppie jogging trail. Also, every time I go shooting at any sort of open gravel pit type place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl128
Sep 16, 2010

This end up

I am furiously ing the tracking page for my incoming 6 inch, full underlug, first year of production, once fired beauty. Box thread incoming!

«316 »