Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«266 »
QuarkMartial
Sep 25, 2004

I've seen the future, and it has hooves.

stgdz posted:

What kind of clips are those? Also what sort of holster do you carry this with?

This kind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=461864

S&W 547, 9mm revolver that doesn't need moon clips

sza
May 30, 2003

Ron Mexico posted:

Yeah, and that is not necessarily a bad thing. It helps velocity some (less gap means less gas lost before the bullet leaves the barrel) and you won't run into trouble with crud gumming up the rotation in one cylinder's worth of ammo. As long as the cylinder turns freely and never contacts the forcing cone you are good.

I'm sure you already know this, but you should always check the barrel/cylinder gap with the cylinder pressed all the way to the rear. As revolvers develop endshake, the movement allows the cylinder to move towards the barrel.

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

sza posted:

I'm sure you already know this, but you should always check the barrel/cylinder gap with the cylinder pressed all the way to the rear. As revolvers develop endshake, the movement allows the cylinder to move towards the barrel.

Good point. Also, if I didn't, I should have included something in that first post about checking both rotational and back-and-forward movement during lockup.

For those who don't know, "endshake" refers to movement of the cylinder back and forth in the frame. In a perfect world you'd have none, but some is almost inevitable, especially in guns chambered for things like .44 Magnum and larger. The reason it's troublesome is that when the gun fires the cylinder is pushed back into the frame. If you have excessive endshake, the cylinder gets a running start and slams into the frame. The more endshake the more room it has to build up speed before it hits and the worse the problem becomes.

It's not un-fixable, though. A gunsmith can use bearings made specifically for this purpose to eliminate endshake.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Saturday football was cool, then it got mainstream. Tuesday football is where it's at now.

Ron Mexico posted:

I saw one of these at the Berea show and was really loving tempted, but I'm getting a condo soon and keeping really tight on my money. The only reason I got the Taurus was because I sold my Beretta Neos.

bunnielab
May 19, 2005

I guess my point is that even science is a matter of faith

Can anyone recommenced a revolver-smith to me?

I have an old (prelock, not sure the exact year) 686 that I am quite fond of. It has a small amount of end shake and there is something fussy about the cylinder yoke where it meets the frame, like there is grit in there or something.

I was just going to send it back to S&W for a checkup and rehab but was wondering if there was anyone else worth looking into. I was toying with the idea of getting it cut for moonclips while it is out but I don't really have a need for that.

Sjurygg
Nov 7, 2008

today i shook the hand of jerry miculek

i think im gonna go touch myself now

AirPhforce
Apr 4, 2009

stgdz posted:

What kind of clips are those? Also what sort of holster do you carry this with?

I use a safepacker. Pretty sure this is what clips I got. https://www.dillonprecision.com/#/c...627__Taurus_608

They are fast as hell but you have to break them in. I've never had the rounds come loose in the safepacker either.

Safepacker for life.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Just got this last week, finally had time to get some pictures of it:

Ruger GP100, stainless steel, 4" barrel, .357 Magnum. Not as fancy as some of the guns in here, but it's built like a tank and it's a lot of fun to shoot.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

dennyk posted:

Just got this last week, finally had time to get some pictures of it:

Ruger GP100, stainless steel, 4" barrel, .357 Magnum. Not as fancy as some of the guns in here, but it's built like a tank and it's a lot of fun to shoot.

I loving love these revolvers.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

bunnielab posted:

I have an old (prelock, not sure the exact year) 686 that I am quite fond of. It has a small amount of end shake and there is something fussy about the cylinder yoke where it meets the frame, like there is grit in there or something.

I was just going to send it back to S&W for a checkup and rehab but was wondering if there was anyone else worth looking into. I was toying with the idea of getting it cut for moonclips while it is out but I don't really have a need for that.
Send it back to smith, they will probably send you a like new revolver. Some one on THR sent their old beat 19 and came back to him basically brand new.

bunnielab
May 19, 2005

I guess my point is that even science is a matter of faith

stgdz posted:

Send it back to smith, they will probably send you a like new revolver. Some one on THR sent their old beat 19 and came back to him basically brand new.

I remember that. The guy who briefly wondered if they had somehow renumbered and sent him a different gun?

That was amazing. Didn't someone here have a awful turnaround issue with Smith at some point?

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Try to Catch Me Ridin' Dirty

MEGA MISO REPOSTO

Robot Battalion
May 26, 2001

These are some nice guns but I am holding out for that sweet Zebra pistol.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Ron Mexico posted:

Charter Arms is making a small framed revolver in 9mm, .40 and .45 that roughly uses this system. I wonder how they will do. They've been taking forever to come out, though, but the msrp is pretty cheap.

http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/CARR.html

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

UNBEARABLE AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

I hate wheelguns. Now what?

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

I hate wheelguns. Now what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR2bhQCFgGk

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

Very well. Impressive.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Oh, come on Balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0

I know you like to make a silent takedown.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

the Nagant gun takedown is always the most silent way to eliminate Trotsky

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

bunnielab posted:

With the exception of cutting the cylinder for moon clips I'd think pretty much any local smith should be able to take care of it. If you want to go all out I'd recommend Bachelder in Grand Rapids. Reviews

Great thread Mexico! Thanks.

I have a thing for 3" birds head grips. Here's an affordable one.

Headache inducing!

A not so crappy shot of my 85.

DJ, nice .22 Mag, I love the service grips. Did they come standard? The used one we've got has a pleasant DA pull; it's kind of short & would benefit from a set of Wolf springs, but it's smooth. The SA is crisp, just like my 85.

PPD6576
Dec 21, 2008

DrakeriderCa posted:

Ron Mexico

I'm looking for a Ruger Redhawk. Apparently they did them in a 4.something" barrel length this year, and that sounds sexy to me.

I have one of these. A Redhawk .45 Colt 4-inch barrel. It will make all of your wildest dreams come true.

The .45 Colt is often disparaged as underpowered and antiquated. That's probably true of some older ammo and the cowboy action stuff. Modern loads are a different story.

Pictured below at left (for comparison) is a 230 grain .45 ACP +P hollowpoint from Black Hills Ammunition. I clocked thirteen of these from a Glock 21 at the range and came up with an average of 964 fps.

At right is a Buffalo Bore 325 grain LFN +P. I clocked twelve of these from the Redhawk and they averaged 1328 fps.

I also have some handloads using Cast Performance 335 grain LFN hard cast gas checked bullets that I made up last summer for my elk scouting trips to eastern Oregon. I loaded them with 21gr of WW296 powder and I'm averaging 1312 fps. That's 335 grains of sit the gently caress down. It will easily handle anything in Oregon that bleeds, including Sasquatch. Recoil is completely manageable and, in my opinion, better than my old S&W 629 44. Magnum 4-inch. Underpowered? B.S.

PPD6576 fucked around with this message at Jul 14, 2009 around 01:56

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

devilsbite posted:

A not so crappy shot of my 85.

That is one seriously cool photo, man.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

PPD6576 posted:

I have one of these. A Redhawk .45 Colt 4-inch barrel. It will make all of your wildest dreams come true.

hell yes I'm cleanin' the floor my beat is correct

SixthFloorFreak
Jun 18, 2005

I'd like to take this opportunity to say...holy gently caress I love S&W wheelguns. such great childhood memories associated with them and my father

and now, for content...a crappy iPhone pic of my carry alternative to my Glock 36 - S&W 442

SixthFloorFreak fucked around with this message at Jul 14, 2009 around 03:21

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

hangedman posted:

Oh, come on Balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0

I know you like to make a silent takedown.

Yeah

Here's my cool razor

PPD6576
Dec 21, 2008

SixthFloorFreak posted:

I'd like to take this opportunity to say...holy gently caress I love S&W wheelguns. such great childhood memories associated with them and my father

and now, for content...a crappy iPhone pic of my carry alternative to my Glock 36

At my former agency we referred to these beauties as throat guns. Stick it against some street urchin's throat and pull the trigger until it gets quiet. No "out of battery" issues there.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Miso Beno posted:

MEGA MISO REPOSTO

Marspat?

PPD6576 posted:

At my former agency we referred to these beauties as throat guns. Stick it against some street urchin's throat and pull the trigger until it gets quiet. No "out of battery" issues there.

Congratulations on being a sociopath

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Saturday football was cool, then it got mainstream. Tuesday football is where it's at now.

devilsbite posted:

DJ, nice .22 Mag, I love the service grips. Did they come standard? The used one we've got has a pleasant DA pull; it's kind of short & would benefit from a set of Wolf springs, but it's smooth. The SA is crisp, just like my 85.

Yeah, which was a nice touch. The DA on this is pretty rough, but I expected that. SA is fantastic. I should be getting out today or tomorrow to put some rounds downrange.

PPD6576
Dec 21, 2008

Armacham posted:

Congratulations on being a sociopath

Ever worked an undercover detail and been stabbed by a real sociopath? You might find a throat gun surprisingly necessary and effective.

King Carnivore
Dec 16, 2007

VAT?!? Do you not like the new look?

PPD6576 posted:

Ever worked an undercover detail and been stabbed by a real sociopath? You might find a throat gun surprisingly necessary and effective.

Where's Shaved Ball's giant when you need it.

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

devilsbite posted:

I have a thing for 3" birds head grips. Here's an affordable one.

For the low low cost it is a good buy. The grips that came on mine are even better than in the product photos, however I've read reviews stating that other peoples' factory grips were pretty lame. Either way, Heritage sells replacement grips to the tune of around $25

Also comes with a .22mag cylinder. Seriously a really really solid 'fun' buy

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

GAY FOR GUNS, GAY FOR
GUNDAMS

PPD6576 posted:

okay goodbye forever

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

PPD6576 posted:

gently caress yeah! At my agency we referred to water boarding as "The Kiddie Pool." One time, some street urchin didn't come back up and I said "He should have had water wings!" Then my partner and I exchanged high-fives across his corpse.

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

Is a throat gun like Sex Machine's crotch gun in TF's visionary film From Dusk Till Dawn?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

PPD6576 posted:

Well, good thing you don't let human decency drag you down on and off the job.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm more confused by the use of "street urchin." Is/was there a time-travelling force responsible for policing Victorian London?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

GAY FOR GUNS, GAY FOR
GUNDAMS

Ron Mexico posted:

Is a throat gun like Sex Machine's crotch gun in TF's visionary film From Dusk Till Dawn?
ground-breaking cinematic masterpiece

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

PPD6576 posted:

I was stabbed through the hand by Father Christmas. Beat that, buster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Can he be kissed without a massive erection?

Crotchgun ahoy

«266 »