Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«321 »
Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

If I was a crazy millionaire, I'd buy this thing so quick.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt...?Item=134643127

Except that there's no way I'd fire it, so maybe it's just nice to look at from afar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

No good ever came from a piece of cherry pie.

infrared35 posted:

infrared is the only fed for me

Click here for the full 1280x528 image.

Chantilly Say
Apr 18, 2008

Coup.

Fremry posted:

If I was a crazy millionaire, I'd buy this thing so quick.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt...?Item=134643127

Except that there's no way I'd fire it, so maybe it's just nice to look at from afar.

I would shoot this every day if I owned it.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

what is a man?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Pitch posted:

A buddy of mine is a stinkyhole hair away from getting one of these.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

what is a man?

Tell him I hate him.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Pitch posted:

Tell him I hate him.

I tell him that already every time I see him. It'll go in the safe beside his all-matching No.4 Mk.1*(T) sniper.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Will he at least wear a red diaper & bandoleers the first time he cocks it?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Uncle Caveman posted:

Will he at least wear a red diaper & bandoleers the first time he cocks it?

No promises, but I'll do my best.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

MOSFET posted:

You can't fit an ejector rod on a short barreled single action revolver. The empty cases must be pushed out with a rod of some sort. The base pin can be utilized for this task if the entire cylinder is removed.

You can dig 'em out with your fingernails if you have to. It's not the best solution, but it works. Don't ask me how I know this.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Oh, this gun I paid full market price for at an online auction visible to the entire internet?

Heh, I practically stole it.

I'm rather pleased indeed.

Picked up a Single Six at the gunshow Saturday, I have been wanting one for a while but I am just unwilling to buy one $350, so I jumped at one at $200 in good shape (well mostly this gun's bluing is a thing of the past, everything else is great though, and Ill be damned if I don't like the worn look). I'll put up a picture if anyone cares.

The only issue I have is that it only came with the .22WMR cylinder. When I got it home and compared it to my stepfather's single six (which he has had since he was 14 and with which he shot himself in the leg quick drawing, to my dying day I will be amazed his parents didn't take the gun away after he did that) it turned out that my cylinder wouldn't quite fit into his gun. I was planning on buying a .22LR cylinder before that point, now I am wondering if there is more to it then just picking up any old Single Six cylinder.

If I get any old cylinder am I going to be pissed off because it doesn't work right? Anything specific to watch for?

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

If I get any old cylinder am I going to be pissed off because it doesn't work right? Anything specific to watch for?

Does your serial # appear on here? http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firea...-RE-SSixMM.html

I am no kind of Ruger collector but there's been quite a few iterations of the Single Six. I'm sure there's some Ruger forums out there if you want a better answer than that.

ps. http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_MagnumOnly_SingleSix.htm

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

I'll put up a picture if anyone cares.

I'd be interested in seeing a picture.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Oh, this gun I paid full market price for at an online auction visible to the entire internet?

Ok, I will get a picture of it up.

No, it is a new model single six, from what I can find the serial number is either 1979 or 1980 (my SN falls between the 2).

BizzaroprOn
Jan 19, 2005

2 in the chest followed by one in the head

I just picked up a Ruger sp101.
Question - I've been reloading .38 special with my Lee .38 die sets - can I load .357 magnum using the .38 set?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

BizzaroprOn posted:

I just picked up a Ruger sp101.
Question - I've been reloading .38 special with my Lee .38 die sets - can I load .357 magnum using the .38 set?

It's theoretically possible; some die sets are billed as both, though they usually come with a collar that lets you easily adjust the dies for the two different case lengths. Without that collar, it would take some experimentation to get the dies set just right, and you might not get a true full-length resize on a .357 Mag case.

bunnielab
May 19, 2005

I guess my point is that even science is a matter of faith

infrared35 posted:

It's theoretically possible; some die sets are billed as both, though they usually come with a collar that lets you easily adjust the dies for the two different case lengths. Without that collar, it would take some experimentation to get the dies set just right, and you might not get a true full-length resize on a .357 Mag case.

I use lee .38 dies to load .357 and I have noticed that I don't get a full resize. But in the 3-4 revolvers and one rifle I have shot my load in I have never noticed it making a difference. Even with hotter loads everything chamber and extracts just fine.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

bunnielab posted:

...the 3-4 revolvers and one rifle I have shot my load in...
Note to self: Clean guns immediately after letting Bunnielab use them.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nothing major, just a .32 that came down to me from my grandfather.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

UNBEARABLE AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Uncle Caveman posted:

Have a Russian Schofield you pinko honky dreamcake

Thanks I like it.

But schofields are single action right?

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

oh god yes

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

Never shoulda been let out the penitentiary

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

Thanks I like it.

But schofields are single action right?
either that is a 50lb trigger or it is SAO

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

Oh I didn't look at the trigger. MY BAD.

For nerds, you guys have pretty good eyes.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Dear Ron Mexico and other revolver loving TFR peoples,

I have in my possession (well access) two revolvers and I was wanting to know a bit about them, just general info and opinions on them as I know next to nothing about wheelguns.

First is a S&W Model 19-2 if I'm reading it correctly and is one of my grandfather's old service revolvers.

The other is a S&W Model 65-1 (again if I'm looking at it right). He purchased it but never used it as a carry gun and then gave it to my parents along with the other one where they languished for years neglected.

I keep meaning to ask him about them and intend to the next time I see him, but it's late and he's asleep so I can't call him up. So I come to the net to have you guys fulfill my desires for instant gratification.

I could take some pics for research / masturbatorial purposes if desired.

Also any tips on cleaning them? The 19 has a bit of rust, other than that just a shitload of powder residue in the barrels / cylinders. Just treat em like any semi-auto?

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

lilspooky posted:

Dear Ron Mexico and other revolver loving TFR peoples,

I have in my possession (well access) two revolvers and I was wanting to know a bit about them, just general info and opinions on them as I know next to nothing about wheelguns.

First is a S&W Model 19-2 if I'm reading it correctly and is one of my grandfather's old service revolvers.

The other is a S&W Model 65-1 (again if I'm looking at it right). He purchased it but never used it as a carry gun and then gave it to my parents along with the other one where they languished for years neglected.

I keep meaning to ask him about them and intend to the next time I see him, but it's late and he's asleep so I can't call him up. So I come to the net to have you guys fulfill my desires for instant gratification.

I could take some pics for research / masturbatorial purposes if desired.

Also any tips on cleaning them? The 19 has a bit of rust, other than that just a shitload of powder residue in the barrels / cylinders. Just treat em like any semi-auto?

yeah might want to scrub the cylinders and barrel with a brass brush after putting a bunch of solvent in them and letting it sit for a few minutes.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

lilspooky posted:

Is the 19 Nickel plated? (I don't believe the 65 would be unless someone did it after the factory, but I could be mistaken there)

Buford T. Justice
Apr 20, 2005

I'm gonna barbecue your ass in molasses.

I finally got around to taking some pictures of two of quite a few wheelguns I have. Beware Crappy photos and pesky date stamp.

;edited for thumbnailification

The Smith & Wesson .44 Mountain Gun.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

And here is the S&W .357 Highway Patrolman Model

Buford T. Justice fucked around with this message at Jul 23, 2009 around 19:33

King Carnivore
Dec 16, 2007

VAT?!? Do you not like the new look?

You better put some goddamn wood on that highway patrolman. That ain't right.

Buford T. Justice
Apr 20, 2005

I'm gonna barbecue your ass in molasses.

King Carnivore posted:

You better put some goddamn wood on that highway patrolman. That ain't right.

Roger that, I just put the original grips back on it now I just have to take another picture...

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Buford T. Justice posted:

The Smith & Wesson .44 Mountain Gun.
Nice... Were the .44s less common? I've only seen the .45 Colt models.

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

Uncle Caveman posted:

Nice... Were the .44s less common? I've only seen the .45 Colt models.

Really? I don't think I've ever seen a .45 Colt one. I had a .44 Mag Mountain Gun for a while and holy god did that ever kick. .45 Colt would probably be a lot nicer.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

Ron Mexico posted:

Really? I don't think I've ever seen a .45 Colt one. I had a .44 Mag Mountain Gun for a while and holy god did that ever kick. .45 Colt would probably be a lot nicer.

You could have loaded it with .44 Specials.

sza
May 30, 2003

Ron Mexico posted:

My 629 Mountain Revolver is the heaviest recoiling handgun I own. Worse than my 3" 629, worse than my .460. It's also one of the sexiest.

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

infrared35 posted:

You could have loaded it with .44 Specials.

That would be cheating.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

sza/Ron, did your Mountain Guns have wood or rubber grips?

The first stuff I put through my Redhawk was some very light Magtech Cowboy Action .44spl... I knew the recoil would be less than .44mag, but it was like the difference between .22lr & .40S&W.

sza
May 30, 2003

Uncle Caveman posted:

sza/Ron, did your Mountain Guns have wood or rubber grips?

Mine came with a lovely set of Pachmayrs that ripped my hand open the first time I shot it. I put a Hogue monogrip on it, which was good at eating up the recoil, but now it has a set of wood Nill grips on it.

At Fang's advice I bought a pair that covers the backstrap. It does seem to help--I guess being hit with wood is less painful than being hit with metal.

Here's a picture of it with the Pachmayrs the day I bought it:

Notice how mine has the front edge of the cylinder chamfered. It's one of the original 1989 series called a "Mountain Revolver" instead of a "Mountain Gun".

Edit: Top left of this photo is the current pair of Nills:

HotCanadianChick
Oct 3, 2002

I AM AGGRESSIVELY SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD. MY CAR / SYNTH / CAT IS THE FUCKING BEST AND YOURS IS COMPLETE CRAP. MY OPINION IS THE ONLY OPINION YOU FUCKING IGNORANT POOR

testing out my new lightbox on a couple 'o wheelguns

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Tell me more about the Dan Wesson, HCC. Looks pretty solid and I've always wanted to shoot one. How would you rank it against Rugers, Colts, or S&Ws?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Ha ha! Pain is hilarious!

I finally got to take the .22Mag wheelie out and it was a lot of fun. The red/orange front sight makes life pretty easy, and picking off targets from 50' didn't prove too hard. This was a buddy taking care of an old Budweiser can we'd hit a few other times.

Yeah, we made a smiley out of target stickers. Big whoop, wanna fight about it?

The grip is very comfortable, and fit even some big sets of hands without a problem.

Far as ammo goes, there wasn't much of a noticeable difference between .22WMR and the old school .22WRF, which is nice because WRF is cheap as poo poo when you can find it.

Overall, very fun gun, locks up well, and while the DA is rough as hell right now, I'm not really concerned with firing it in DA so it all works out.

DJExile fucked around with this message at Jul 26, 2009 around 14:17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

Very nice photos, and glad you're happy with the little Taurus.

«321 »