Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«246 »
CloFan
Nov 5, 2004

Khaleesi..

cuntrageous posted:

I am building an M4 stubby. The last piece I need is an outer barrel that is about that long. Where did you get it, and if you made it, can I buy one? Needs to be threaded on the tip for a mock silencer, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forti
May 5, 2009

Wanna meet dat patriot.

E: Totally just pre-ordered an ACR

Forti fucked around with this message at Jun 9, 2010 around 16:06

Android Bicyclist
Apr 28, 2009

Leave no chalupa behind...
Yes, I shoot just like this.

CloFan posted:

I am building an M4 stubby. The last piece I need is an outer barrel that is about that long. Where did you get it, and if you made it, can I buy one? Needs to be threaded on the tip for a mock silencer, as well.
I can't tell the actual size from the pic, but you could order this to get yourself an ultra-stubby M4. Alas, it doesn't come with a gas block, which looks weird to me.

Forti, I expect a full report when you get your ACR.

Aliginge
Dec 16, 2004

Game Artist, Airsofter, Pepsi Max addict, not good with computers.

Regarding the CQB weapon, I've just taken the stock and tube off my M4 again, should do me for any impromptu CQB trips, seeing as it's light to begin with and laugh-tastically easy to point now. Although that said, I think one or two of our guys have CYMA Mp5ks, so I might just get one of those later in the year, seeing as the m14 doesn't need upgrading at all

Forti posted:

E: Totally just pre-ordered an ACR

Gratz brah. Any idea when it's actually out?

Aliginge fucked around with this message at Jun 10, 2010 around 03:45

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I've ordered my Scorpion, totally rocking some CQB as soon as it gets here

Forti
May 5, 2009

Ninja Bicyclist posted:

Forti, I expect a full report when you get your ACR.

Aliginge posted:

Gratz brah. Any idea when it's actually out?

I may do the dreaded unboxing report when I get it :P

The guy I ordered it from is getting his delivery at the end of July (sigh), so I just have to scrape together half a grand before then. I'm still trying to mentally justify this to myself, but at least there'll be one for me when the time comes

I really don't like the default stock though. So it looks like I'm shelling out another 50 or so for a decent stock. SIGH.

Still, for a really well made, well performing gun which will last forever, I think it's worth it. And since my four-year-old second hand JG G36 has pretty much given up the ghost, I could do with a new, working gun.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Valyrian, motherfucker! Do you speak it?!

Have any of you ever heard of S&Y (Shung Yang)? I'm looking to purchase a SIG P226 for my loadout since a friend gave me a 226 serpa holster + molle adapter, but I don't have much to spend. After searching for a few hours, I came across an S&Y 226 full metal body/barrel gbb model for $70 shipped. That seems like a loving steal for a full metal gbb pistol to me, but I can't find any decent or in-depth reviews on it to see if there's a catch. Though, the several youtube videos I've seen (the ABS version though) seem like it's pretty good.

Aliginge
Dec 16, 2004

Railoc posted:

I've ordered my Scorpion, totally rocking some CQB as soon as it gets here

As well as Forti's ACR, can I ask for a first-impression of a sort on the Skorpion? JG, right?

Those things look fun as gently caress.

EDIT: Oh and this is the most balla thing I've seen all day.

I would drum mag it so hard.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

"Watch your six Devil Dog!"

Aliginge posted:

As well as Forti's ACR, can I ask for a first-impression of a sort on the Skorpion? JG, right?

Those things look fun as gently caress.

EDIT: Oh and this is the most balla thing I've seen all day.

I would drum mag it so hard.

Drum mag, forward grip, bi-pod, ACOG, green dazzler, Surefire, and PEQ box for ultimate awesomeness.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Aliginge posted:

No, it's a TM. I will give you a first impression though, as it's supposed to be delivered today, if UPS actually leaves it - I've had them leave a "could not deliver" note and run away without ringing my doorbell over and over in the past.

Edit: This one: http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store...roducts_id=3238

Don't order it from AEX though, even though they say it's in stock. I asked (I'm near their Santa Clara store) and it seems they have ONE at their Sacremento store, and it's the display model. Yuck. The only place I could reliably find it was at HK stores (I went with Dentrinity).

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at Jun 10, 2010 around 17:24

Morham
Jun 4, 2007

Aliginge posted:

If I do go to Reading, it'll be with the Teesside Uni Airsoft soc, which probably won't be until later in the year.

Well its a small loving world, I just graduated from Teesside Uni!

CloFan
Nov 5, 2004

Khaleesi..

Ninja Bicyclist posted:

I can't tell the actual size from the pic, but you could order this to get yourself an ultra-stubby M4. Alas, it doesn't come with a gas block, which looks weird to me.

Kickass, thanks. I won't need a gas block, as the outer barrel will be covered by a RIS unit and only an inch or so of the silencer on the end will be showing. Can't wait to get it.

Comrade Pigeon
Nov 25, 2005

I really do

Morham posted:

Reading goonsquad? Let's do it.

Forti
May 5, 2009

Was always tempted by a goonfleet patch.

Aliginge
Dec 16, 2004

Railoc posted:

No, it's a TM.
Dang. Way out of my price range already for a gun that'll only see a small amount of use compared to my other gun.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Heh, it arrived just as I was typing a response, and then I had to go for a job interview.

Aliginge posted:

Dang. Way out of my price range already for a gun that'll only see a small amount of use compared to my other gun.
I looked at that one, it got some bad reviews. I'd rather spend the money on one with assured quality than waste money on one with questionable quality.

Anyway, it is bad rear end. It's a bit heavier than a pistol when using it without the stock, but it's easily remedied by using the mag as a foregrip. That said, you can easily aim and fire it one-handed with the stock folded, but I probably wouldn't want to hold it in that position all day.

I'll totally be using it in the game next week. They have a strict pistols-only policy for the indoor areas, which probably includes AEPs, so my USP and M9 will probably still see some use, but it will be so much easier (and fun!) to run around outside and flank guys wielding this thing.

10 minute drum solo
Mar 31, 2007

I do enjoy broadway musicals.

Speaking of that place, what team do the bay area goons plan on playing on for the next Ord game?

Aliginge
Dec 16, 2004

Railoc posted:

I looked at that one, it got some bad reviews. I'd rather spend the money on one with assured quality than waste money on one with questionable quality.
I get you, but I really am just looking for a bit of cheap fun. Dropping 200 on a G&G was enough of an effort, so I can't really justify more than 100 or so on a gun for running around shooting while madly giving off a zoidberg-esque WOOPWOOPWOOPwoopwoop

Still, they have metal CYMA MP5Ks going here and there, full-size AEG battery life, ROF and performance in a gun barely bigger than my head.

Thanks for the impression though Even if it does make me slightly jealous

Morham posted:

Are you hanging around Boro come september-time? We've got some awesome trips lined up and I've been poking the management towards an overnight Reading Mall trip. After Ground Zero of course (which I can't go to now jesus gently caress my life)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

10 minute drum solo posted:

Speaking of that place, what team do the bay area goons plan on playing on for the next Ord game?
TF141. A lot of us have multicam so we usually end up on whichever side is using it.

Forti
May 5, 2009

Aliginge posted:

I get you, but I really am just looking for a bit of cheap fun. Dropping 200 on a G&G was enough of an effort, so I can't really justify more than 100 or so on a gun for running around shooting while madly giving off a zoidberg-esque WOOPWOOPWOOPwoopwoop

You got a short M14, just use that.

Aliginge posted:

After Ground Zero of course (which I can't go to now jesus gently caress my life)

FIX THIS

Aliginge
Dec 16, 2004

Forti posted:

You got a short M14, just use that.
"Short" is only relative to the full size m14, seeing as even the short version is as long as my old M16, minus 5cm.

Forti
May 5, 2009

Aliginge posted:

"Short" is only relative to the full size m14, seeing as even the short version is as long as my old M16, minus 5cm.

Well...man up. :V

I guess what I'm trying to say is stop buying guns

Android Bicyclist
Apr 28, 2009

Forti posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is buy guns and give them to me.

Fixed.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Forti posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is stop buying guns
I'm afraid I can't comprehend this statement

Forti
May 5, 2009

Railoc posted:

I'm afraid I can't comprehend this statement

His MO is to buy a gun, hold it for a while, declare it too heavy and then sell it for 10% of what he bought it for and buy the exact same thing.

This strikes me as wasteful

Aliginge
Dec 16, 2004

Be fair now, the 416 went to fund a sniper, the sniper died so I bought a G3, I sold that because it was poo poo and got an olde JG Plastic M4 which hates any and all mags and was therefore not very good and so I got an AGM m16 which also hates aftermarket mags, is the longest gun the soc has seen yet could be outranged by an MP5k so I sold that (for a mere 30 less i'll have you know.) to get my first high-end gun.

My G&G m14 socom is pretty boss, I just need a similarly boss sidearm/cqbthing

10 minute drum solo
Mar 31, 2007

I do enjoy broadway musicals.

Aliginge posted:

Be fair now, the 416 went to fund a sniper, the sniper died so I bought a G3, I sold that because it was poo poo and got an olde JG Plastic M4 which hates any and all mags and was therefore not very good and so I got an AGM m16 which also hates aftermarket mags, is the longest gun the soc has seen yet could be outranged by an MP5k so I sold that (for a mere 30 less i'll have you know.) to get my first high-end gun.

My G&G m14 socom is pretty boss, I just need a similarly boss sidearm/cqbthing

If I didn't already own a pistol, I'd get this . It fits into pistol holsters and mag pouches easily, and shoots at like 24 rps. The mags hold around 50 rounds (but cost $40 each). Seems like a great room broom, and you can always just put it on semi if you want to conserve ammo. I don't have one, but some of my teammates do and they seem pretty awesome.

Squirrelomancer
Jan 28, 2009

Hey guys,

Bit new to the whole airsoft thing. I have played paintball for a few years and am kinda getting out of that in favor of target shooting and things like that. Currently I have a Beretta PX4 pistol and that has been working fine for me so far. I now am looking into buying a pellet rifle but there are so many brands that I just don't know which is good for my price range. I also would like to know a good canadian retailer if you can recommend any to me. My price range isn't very high so please keep that in mind (200 bucks +- 50).

Thanks

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

A pellet rifle? You mean for target shooting, not for airsoft, right?

Not saying that there won't be anyone able to help you in this thread, but they're pretty different.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

If I'm looking for an AEG for around ~$150 and preferably not a M4/M16/M14, what can you recommend?

Aliginge
Dec 16, 2004

One of these: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_in...roducts_id=3310

EDIT: Oh poo poo, out of stock. :/ Still, I've heard they are very good for the price. Steel body, VFC-clone internals, was looking at one myself.

EDIT2: Here we go: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_in...roducts_id=3980
http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_in...roducts_id=6726

Aliginge fucked around with this message at Jun 13, 2010 around 10:11

Fancy Salad
Jun 10, 2003

The first is the most fabulous...

Antonymous posted:

If I'm looking for an AEG for around ~$150 and preferably not a M4/M16/M14, what can you recommend?

Whats with the anti M4/AK hate that seems to go on with new players? I'll admit myself to starting out with a WE SCAR GBB, (Got it from an ex for cheap) but once I saw the light that was a KWA M4, I felt like I'd been totally screwing myself over in terms of upgrade/fix options. That's one of the great things about an M4, if you break it on the field, odds are that someone around you might have a spare part. Or is more adept than you are are shredding the thing down and fixing it in two minutes, while it's raining, and you're getting shot at. ;-)

Right now I'm battling (nicely) with my BF over his current lust for a G36K or G36C, Which seems to be in stock almost nowhere at all for any brand. And his backup choice is a Steyer Aug, which also seems to be out of stock everywhere. Or he wants a P90, but he's pissed that the extended mag ( http://j.mp/AUfjo ) might make it awkward to fire, since he's a Lefty like me. I keep telling him that AK's/SCAR's (Non gas) and M4's are in stock all over the drat place.. But he just won't seem to have any part of it.

It's frustrating.. I want him (and he wants to) to get into the hobby a bit, and more than just shooting my guns in his backyard, but I don't want to flat out call him out for wanting guns that are harder to get/maintain/find parts for. I respect his need to be an individual, but on the other hand, I just want to shove a KWA/ARES/Echo1 M4 in his hand, tell him to try it out, and hope that he sees the light. Am I wrong for wanting this for him? Am I treading into naggy bitch GF territory?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fancy Salad posted:

Right now I'm battling (nicely) with my BF over his current lust for a G36K or G36C, Which seems to be in stock almost nowhere at all for any brand. And his backup choice is a Steyer Aug, which also seems to be out of stock everywhere. Or he wants a P90, but he's pissed that the extended mag ( http://j.mp/AUfjo ) might make it awkward to fire, since he's a Lefty like me. I keep telling him that AK's/SCAR's (Non gas) and M4's are in stock all over the drat place.. But he just won't seem to have any part of it.

It's frustrating.. I want him (and he wants to) to get into the hobby a bit, and more than just shooting my guns in his backyard, but I don't want to flat out call him out for wanting guns that are harder to get/maintain/find parts for. I respect his need to be an individual, but on the other hand, I just want to shove a KWA/ARES/Echo1 M4 in his hand, tell him to try it out, and hope that he sees the light. Am I wrong for wanting this for him? Am I treading into naggy bitch GF territory?
Hey, your choices of guns are all about personal taste and choice. I really REALLY wanted a Skorpion and ended up having to order from a Hong Kong site. When you like a gun, it gets stuck in your head, and nothing else will do until you get THAT gun.

Nothing wrong with M4s, but it seems like since EVERYONE has one, some people may want something more personal and unique. I bet if he finally gets that G36, he'll feel so cool holding that gun that he'll enjoy the game that much more. And if he doesn't end up liking it because of the drawbacks that it does have (less replacement parts than M4s, mags are huge and annoying) then he'll come to the M4 on his own terms.

Like, I love my used G36C right now, and I plan to continue using it until it's inoperable. When it breaks, I'll happily transition to a shorty M4 or LWRC now that I know the advantages and drawbacks, on my own terms.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at Jun 14, 2010 around 19:14

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY FOR 40 GAY

^^^
I try to avoid dating and airsoft. It sucks rear end when you break up and then go to events (see: go have fun doing one of your favorite things). Are you sure you want that drama on the field if he gets into it?

On the topic of M4/AK hate. How else can I put it except 'everyone else has one and I want to be different.' The AK hate is recent, because for years it has mostly always been just colt variants dominating the field. Honestly, bedsides magazines, most V2 parts can be interchanged with V3 parts, so you never exactly shaft yourself. Sure, there are less external options, but you don't tend to care when you are getting the AEG to be different.

Also, gently caress V2 gearboxes. They are terrible, terrible, terrible. I would never buy a colt variant with one of these, and until recently, ICS spit gearboxes were the only alternative. Older AK designs were hard to open up because they were basically just SCREWS, but at least a V3 is easy to work with.

tldr: gently caress v2 gearboxes

INTERNETRACECAR
May 25, 2005
Rabbit Injected!

BULBASAUR posted:

gently caress v2 gearboxes

Never truer words spoken, they are pure rear end. That, and they're not all the same, whereas a V3 is pretty much just a V3 with a different motor housing. Not only that, they're a pain in the rear end to get at, whereas just about every other gun out there requires a few screws and a table to bang it on (the AUG, for example). And once again, no matter how much you tweak out and accessorize an AR, they almost all still look the same and EVERYONE has one.

And by and large they're loose, wobbly, unrewarding, fragile pieces of crap that aren't terribly comfortable to hold, AND you have to treat them gently or the front of the gearbox and the back will part ways in short order, and then you have to spend an inordinate amount of time popping pins and fighting motor connectors and stripping screws just to get in there.

They're fun to use, and the benefit of having easy access to zillions of parts and mags at a game is nice, but they're still not going to be as tough to kill as a V3 based gun.

Also, that poo poo-rear end mag shouldn't keep him from getting a P90, midcaps are cheap and good and most of the newer P90 hicaps are vastly improved. I know it sounds like sacrilege, but if he wants a P90, get an Echo1, and simply toss a lighter spring in it. I picked mine over a CA on the simple fact that the Echo1 was built like a brick shithouse and felt far, far sturdier externally.

I also may have a CA AUG for sale, too. With 8 brand new hicaps. PM me for the sordid details.

Aliginge
Dec 16, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

The AK hate is recent

Probably due to the fact that people put stuff on them as if they were any other rifle and then people who don't own one complain that they should keep them looking bone stock.

Android Bicyclist
Apr 28, 2009

Aliginge posted:

Probably due to the fact that people put stuff on them as if they were any other rifle and then people who don't own one complain that they should keep them looking bone stock.
It's funny how it goes here too. If you TactiLOL up your AK the "purists" get angry at you for making an AK do what it's not supposed to do.

Admittedly I sometimes fall into that thinking. I have my AK for when I want to roll old-school or as OPFOR, and if I ever get off my rear end to try a Vietnam-inspired loadout I want my AK to be realistic. In the end it's your gun and if you want optics & other stuff, knock yourself out.

cuntrageous
Jun 6, 2008

So I built another airsoft gun today.

booyah, grandma

Android Bicyclist
Apr 28, 2009

cuntrageous posted:

So I built another airsoft gun today.

booyah, grandma
The only thing I find weird about it is having both back-up iron sights and the carry handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntrageous
Jun 6, 2008

Fancy Salad posted:

Whats with the anti M4/AK hate that seems to go on with new players? I'll admit myself to starting out with a WE SCAR GBB, (Got it from an ex for cheap) but once I saw the light that was a KWA M4, I felt like I'd been totally screwing myself over in terms of upgrade/fix options. That's one of the great things about an M4, if you break it on the field, odds are that someone around you might have a spare part. Or is more adept than you are are shredding the thing down and fixing it in two minutes, while it's raining, and you're getting shot at. ;-)

The problem with G36s isn't that they're more prone to breaking it's that the stuff that gets broke on them is generally unfixable without an entirely new part (the barrel assembly immediately comes to mind). The tradeoff is that they're lighter and more ergonomic than their metal cousins which is an enormous advantage. You can build a G36 with comparable performance to any metal gun for half the weight. My 5-foot-long G36 sniper rifle weighs about the same as an M4, for example.

Be wary though; they're not importing anymore G36s due to HK being a bunch of big babies about their trademarks in this country, which means the price of replacement external parts and especially G36 guns is going to go up. The thing I'm most worred about breaking are hopups, since G36 hopups are notoriously easy to smash into pieces when you're taking the barrel out for any reason.

BULBASAUR posted:

tldr: gently caress v2 gearboxes

Don't get me started. The lower AR-assembly on the above gun took three and a half hours of futzing that culminated in taking out one unnecessary screw that was preventing the upper from joining the lower. Some of the design decisions on ARs are so incredibly stupid it blows my mind.

Ninja Bicyclist posted:

The only thing I find weird about it is having both back-up iron sights and the carry handle.

They line up perfectly if that's what you mean. The carry-handle is absolutely necessary in the place that it is because the entire gun is very front-heavy and if you carry it from in back the gun just wants to nose-dive. It's ugly and I'm eventually going to experiment using a battery bag and taping the wire close to the gun and just running it back.

«246 »