Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Got Hope back from the vet earlier today. She's looking and acting much healthier, yay. Still not eating a whole lot--maybe a quarter of a can o' wet twice a day, looks like. I'll have to play that by ear.

Got some liquid medicine to give her twice daily, some antibiotic, and she just got her first dose. That was... quite an adventure, getting that pipette syringe or whatever into her mouth, eesh. :stare:

Have you tried offering meat? My cat likes tuna, but goes NUTS for chicken and pork chops. He's 14 and has trouble eating (no teeth, swollen gums, failing kidneys, possible inner ear infection), but he will do his damndest to eat a nugget of chicken. Just a couple days ago he was a holy terror when Spaceguns brought home KFC, in spite of the fact that we'd had to force feed him for the previous three days. It wouldn't help with the medicine (YouTube might, though), but it could help her want to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I can try but she eats so friggin little at any given meal so far that I can't guarantee she'd even get the full dose. I'll see how cooperative and/or hungry she is over the next few days.

She's so much more active and exploring now, it makes me happy to watch her :shobon:

From everything i have read I wouldn't put her meds into food as it may further discourage her from eating. There are some pill packet things you can buy which might help.

Have you tried burrito rolling her to give her the meds.

i find using a large ti shirt the best way to burrito mine little one (most people use a towel). Put ti shirt over her head and start wrapping both sides of the ti shirt around her body.

when finished it should look like this (this is the first time i used the ti-shirt, she does fight a little now growls and does bites moves like she is a bird)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

LogisticEarth posted:

As we had our recent scare with our cat, I was researching euthanasia options just in case. There are apparently many at-home services now, which is something I always kind of wished was available. It's obviously more expensive ($300-700 from what I've seen) but I always hated their last experience being put in a carrier and taken to the place they usually hated the most: the vet. Has anyone ever used an at-home euthanasia service?

I've done a few house call euthanasias. The ones where people just want to have them at home but they're otherwise a good animal are fine. The one's where the animal is defensive/territorial/handling aggressive are terrible and should be done at the vet so there's additional hands and medications in case things go awry.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.
Going to be moving from LA to Houston soon, and will need to bring my cats along with me in the car.

Is there any recommended way to do this aside from keeping them in carriers? Mostly concerned with how they'll go to the bathroom.

Can I bring a small box to fill with litter, like the lid of a paper carton, and let them out periodically to see if they need to relieve themselves?

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

weinus posted:

Going to be moving from LA to Houston soon, and will need to bring my cats along with me in the car.

Is there any recommended way to do this aside from keeping them in carriers? Mostly concerned with how they'll go to the bathroom.

Can I bring a small box to fill with litter, like the lid of a paper carton, and let them out periodically to see if they need to relieve themselves?

Similar question, we have a couple of bedbugs and while we're super lucky on the having bedbugs scale, they still want to do 3 treatments so we're stuck taking Tali out of the apartment for 4 hours thrice in the month of September, the first time being this Tuesday.

I have a carrier for her and will be able to hang out on the terrace of our apartment building, but I'm wondering how I should handle her not having access to her litter box for that amount of time. The super offered to let her run around his apartment when they were testing, I'm not sure if that offer still stands but if it does, should I leave her there with her little box and a water bowl rather than keep her with me, most likely outside, in her carrier?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

LogisticEarth posted:

As we had our recent scare with our cat, I was researching euthanasia options just in case. There are apparently many at-home services now, which is something I always kind of wished was available. It's obviously more expensive ($300-700 from what I've seen) but I always hated their last experience being put in a carrier and taken to the place they usually hated the most: the vet. Has anyone ever used an at-home euthanasia service?

LogisticEarth, sorry about your cat but this is sadly an inevitable part of pet ownership.

As to the home service, my family uses it a fair bit. My mother runs a rescue and we end up keeping the misfits who people won't take - they tend to be older or have a condition and so generally only have a few years left. Our local vet does house calls as it's easier on the animal and means we don't have a teary driver doing a lone trip home. They charge us about £60 to £80 I think, quite reasonable considering.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
My cat finally did that "slow blink" thing that is apparently the cat-to-owner equivalent of "I love you" at me, but the romance of the moment was slightly ruined by the fact that I was in the middle of cleaning up my own nosebleed. Excellent.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Ratzap posted:

LogisticEarth, sorry about your cat but this is sadly an inevitable part of pet ownership.

As to the home service, my family uses it a fair bit. My mother runs a rescue and we end up keeping the misfits who people won't take - they tend to be older or have a condition and so generally only have a few years left. Our local vet does house calls as it's easier on the animal and means we don't have a teary driver doing a lone trip home. They charge us about £60 to £80 I think, quite reasonable considering.

Thanks for the kind words, he's still around and getting better actually. So far, as I said, just a scare. However we have to spend like 3 hours a day tube feeding him. I had a feeling that if you have a good relationship with an independent vet, it wouldn't be too much of an imposition to ask.

EDIT: Also, aside from his general improvement, thankfully his bowls are getting used to liquefied food. A cat with diarrhea is a special kind of experience, ha.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 31, 2014

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

bubblelubble posted:

My cat finally did that "slow blink" thing that is apparently the cat-to-owner equivalent of "I love you" at me, but the romance of the moment was slightly ruined by the fact that I was in the middle of cleaning up my own nosebleed. Excellent.

"I see you are bleeding, human, but as you feed me I shall not attack you in your weakened state."

ilysespieces posted:

Similar question, we have a couple of bedbugs and while we're super lucky on the having bedbugs scale, they still want to do 3 treatments so we're stuck taking Tali out of the apartment for 4 hours thrice in the month of September, the first time being this Tuesday.

I have a carrier for her and will be able to hang out on the terrace of our apartment building, but I'm wondering how I should handle her not having access to her litter box for that amount of time. The super offered to let her run around his apartment when they were testing, I'm not sure if that offer still stands but if it does, should I leave her there with her little box and a water bowl rather than keep her with me, most likely outside, in her carrier?

4 hours is probably OK to go without access to the box, but you know your cat best. You might also consider getting a larger crate so you can have enough room for a little litter box and other supplies.

LogisticEarth posted:

EDIT: Also, aside from his general improvement, thankfully his bowls are getting used to liquefied food. A cat with diarrhea is a special kind of experience, ha.

Poor guy. At least there's that! Our cat would get scared of her diarrhea and run from it, which was not an ideal reaction.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

effika posted:

4 hours is probably OK to go without access to the box, but you know your cat best. You might also consider getting a larger crate so you can have enough room for a little litter box and other supplies.

I will definitely look into that, we're still new to this whole cat-ownership lifelong commitment thing, I'll add large crate and little litter box to my list of stuff to buy with Amazon Prime.

I think she should be alright. I've discovered the best trick to get her to use her litter box when I want (or rather don't want) her to is to scoop it. She stands next to me while I scoop and pushes my hand aside so she can use it, either midscoop or before I can get the lid back on. Every day she does this, I'll just scoop it early/right before they come and hope that gets her to go.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Adopted our own pair of idiots yesterday!

They were both fairly shy at the shelter and had both been stuck there for a while, but they both were charming in the visiting room so we decided to take them with us.

Pickwick (on the left) is 9 months and already had a litter of kittens (she's now spayed, of course). All of her kittens had been adopted already, but no one took poor mama. We found her sleeping in her litterbox like a moron, but she chirped whenever anyone came to pet her and is incredibly friendly, if a bit skittish. Now that she has the bottom half of a carrier with a nice fluffy towel to sleep in, she just uses the poopbox for its intended purpose. Even though she is incredibly petite, she is a brave mamacat, and is constantly torn between trying to beat on and/or take care of her new brother/son/friend.

Toby (on the right) is 5 months old and a big ol' scardy cat, but he has a purr like a diesel truck. He's been hanging pretty tight to the bathroom they stayed in for the first night, unless Pickwick is around to show him that the big bad apartment isn't so horrible. He was in a cage with a few siblings at the shelter, but it seems he's had pretty limited contact with humans. Toby and Pickwick hit it off like gangbusters (immediate kitten piles), but he's been a little less on board with the whole people thing. That being said, after being bribed with treats and toys, if you come up to him very slowly and softly and start scratching his side, he starts purring up a storm and rolls over so you can scratch his tum. :3: I have hopes that he'll adjust well in a few weeks with us being around. Also, if the size of his paws are any indication, he is gonna be a BEAST.

They will be headed to the vet on Tuesday, but it seems Toby came home with a bit of a cold and had been treated up the wazoo for worms while he was at the shelter (according to his records). From the poop examining I've done so far, it looks to be clear, but I'll still be glad to have a vet check over my new lovies to make sure everything is on the up and up.

They both went to town in the litterbox last night while we slept (CAT POOPS AHOY), but I haven't seen Pickwick use it yet today, and Toby just peed this morning and hasn't used it again, even though they've both been eating and drinking. I'm trying not to worry too much and just am watching them for any sneaky non-box relieving. But I'm pretty sure I'm just being a crazy new cat owner.

CAT ADVENTURES

marchantia fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 1, 2014

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Is my cat an aspiring archaeologist, or is there a more serious reason she likes to spend her time scratching around in the litter box? She's acting like her usual bright-eyed, creaky-meowed self and is peeing and pooping like normal, but she has been spending quite a lot of time in the box scratching around in the litter and pawing at the sides. I swear she was in there for at least half an hour last night, but that might be because I was trying to get to sleep at the time and the *scratch scratch* *paw paw paw paw* *scraaaatch paw paw paw paw paw* was keeping me awake.

I scoop out the litter every morning and the boxes are reasonably fresh, what gives? Is she just being a cat?

Is she deliberately keeping me awake because I was away all last week and she knows I enjoyed a few nights of peace and quiet?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
So I was petting one of my cats and felt a bit of a bump on her ear, sort of like a pimple. It's not visible through her fur. Is there anything I need to do about it?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

floofyscorp posted:

Is my cat an aspiring archaeologist, or is there a more serious reason she likes to spend her time scratching around in the litter box? She's acting like her usual bright-eyed, creaky-meowed self and is peeing and pooping like normal, but she has been spending quite a lot of time in the box scratching around in the litter and pawing at the sides. I swear she was in there for at least half an hour last night, but that might be because I was trying to get to sleep at the time and the *scratch scratch* *paw paw paw paw* *scraaaatch paw paw paw paw paw* was keeping me awake.

I scoop out the litter every morning and the boxes are reasonably fresh, what gives? Is she just being a cat?

Is she deliberately keeping me awake because I was away all last week and she knows I enjoyed a few nights of peace and quiet?

Maybe she's trying to get litter off her paws? I hear they make litter mats that help with that.

neongrey posted:

So I was petting one of my cats and felt a bit of a bump on her ear, sort of like a pimple. It's not visible through her fur. Is there anything I need to do about it?

I'd monitor it and if it gets noticeably bigger or if more show up or if the cat's behavior changes, if call the vet.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Huntersoninski posted:

I'd monitor it and if it gets noticeably bigger or if more show up or if the cat's behavior changes, if call the vet.

One of our cats had a cancerous tumor there, but it was mast cell and both out current vet and former vet (in another city, we still play vidyagames together) said after confirming what it is with a biopsy they usually don't do anything unless it 1) comes back AND 2) gets bigger. Little tumors like that on the ear are apparently somewhat common.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Huntersoninski posted:

Also get it checked out if a scab forms on it or hair falls off around it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Okay, I'll keep an eye on it. She loves to headbutt so that should be easy.

A few weeks ago she had some redness on her chin (which went away after a couple days) that Google tells me was probably feline acne, so maybe she just has oily skin?

Dr. Derek
Jan 1, 2010

Faster than a dead horse falling through orbit

So a few weeks ago I posted that I found a dying kitten in the parking lot of my workplace and ended up taking it to home with me.
When I found her, the vet said she had multiple infections, a broken pelvis and ankle, bite wounds and was going into shock due to starvation and dehydration.

Minus her walking a bit funny, she's more or less healthy now. Very affectionate and playful now.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Derek posted:

So a few weeks ago I posted that I found a dying kitten in the parking lot of my workplace and ended up taking it to home with me.
When I found her, the vet said she had multiple infections, a broken pelvis and ankle, bite wounds and was going into shock due to starvation and dehydration.

Minus her walking a bit funny, she's more or less healthy now. Very affectionate and playful now.

Look at that wonky leg! I bet she's adorable when she walks. Cat's give no fucks about that sort of thing. Mine has her knees (usually one at a time) go out of place when it gets colder out. Doesn't stop her from running three-legged as fast as she can after a squirrel when she's out on her lead.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
Dear stray kitty,

For the past three years I tried to get you to warm up to me. I fed you every morning. I sat outside, a safe distance away, while you ate. Eventually you started greeting me at the door. Then you started waiting for me at the end of the driveway in the evenings, following me back to my apartment in the hopes of getting dinner too. (But I didn't give you dinner, because I felt you needed to retain some hunting skills. You lived outside, after all.) At some point you got self-entitled, because you are a cat, and started meowing loudly at my door if breakfast wasn't prompt enough to your liking.

You spent most of your time around my apartment, sunning on the steps or lying under my window. You made friends with my cat and you'd meow or paw at each other through the window. Sometimes I'd take her outside on her leash and you'd follow her around, desperately trying to get her to play with you while she chewed on the grass. You liked to jump on the outside windowsill and look in. A few times, I left my door open and you ventured a little bit inside, but only for a moment or two.

I wish I could have taken better care of you, but there's no room in this tiny studio for two cats (nor is there room on my lease). Things would not go well for a basically-feral cat like you in the overcrowded animal shelter. At least someone had fixed you, at some point. I figured you had it pretty good, especially when I found out you were scamming double portions from my upstairs neighbor too. One morning I came out with your food to find her standing in the yard with her bag of cat food. She felt so bad for the poor crying kitty, she said.

You had a lot of names. I just called you kitty, or scaredy cat. My next-door neighbor called you Boos-Boos. My cat-sitting friend nicknamed you LemonJello. I'm guessing you had other names, in other places, from other people. Everyone who watched my cat for me took care of you too. I'd get excited reports that they spotted you, or that you actually came out for your breakfast. "But then it ran away when I got too close", they'd always say. You were so cautious around people, yet everyone was enamored of you.

You didn't show up for breakfast a few days ago, which was atypical but had happened once or twice before. I saw you lying out in the sun and you looked up at me; I chided you for not eating your breakfast. I came home that evening and the food was still out. It was still there the next morning, and you were nowhere to be seen. That afternoon I looked everywhere for you. The day after that, someone had eaten most of the food. I hoped it was you and not a raccoon. This morning, I looked out at your breakfast spot below my window and saw the food was all gone. I thought you were back.

I found you this evening, when I took out the trash. I thought you were asleep, in one of your favorite sunning spots in the grass between my apartment complex and the houses next door. But when I called to you, and you didn't look up and meow at me like you always did, I knew.

I'm going to miss you, little stray cat. We all are.

Edit: Some other posts/pictures about Scaredy: [1] [2]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 2, 2014

axe
Jul 28, 2006
Student of the John Zoidberg School of Medicine

Dr. Derek posted:

I think my new kitten is your kitten's doppelganger. I adopted her from a local humane society about a week ago and she's the most well-behaved, affectionate and playful thing.

Navigating my bed

Really likes my fleece blanket

And sleeping in my lap in very uncomfortable looking positions

Bonus: She's also mesmerized by my mouse cursor

Edit re: the above post. Man, that's rough. Hopefully you can at least take solace in the fact that she had a better quality of life than most strays, with the regular meals and such.

axe fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 2, 2014

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009

Robo Kitty posted:

Dear stray kitty,......
I'm going to miss you, little stray cat. We all are.....

Sorry for your loss. (Also, screw you for making my sob like a blubbering idiot just before bedtime). I think that any of us who have cared for and/or taken in a stray feels your pain. (My current baby started out similar, until she eventually became in indoor only several years ago).

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bless you for doing a wonderful thing for that stray.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
In regards to the World Best Cat Litter, while I like the idea of flushing the clumps down the toilet, what is the practical outcome? Has anyone tried it for an extended period of time with their septic system?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Haven't used that one, but have used Swheat Scoop and Feline Pine for years. Scooping every day or two: no troubles. Scooping infrequently: extra time spent breaking up clumps and dealing with the overall volume, possible plunger adventures.

Not recommended if you have one of those rural septic tanks you have to have professionally emptied though, if that's what you mean.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cheesus posted:

In regards to the World Best Cat Litter, while I like the idea of flushing the clumps down the toilet, what is the practical outcome? Has anyone tried it for an extended period of time with their septic system?

When I was on a septic system, I was very nervous about putting anything extra down the toilet or other drains. Septic tanks are expensive to fix if they have problems. Thus I'd recommend against it. Throw stuff in the trash - it's safer in the long run.

Now that we're on the city sewer, I'm much less worried about that sort of thing. The treatment plant is designed to handle all sorts of poo poo.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Deteriorata posted:

Now that we're on the city sewer, I'm much less worried about that sort of thing. The treatment plant is designed to handle all sorts of poo poo.

:rimshot:

As for Worlds Best Cat Litter in septic tanks, its mostly corn. Not the worst thing for septic, but throw it out to be safe anyway. Don't need to be adding extra solids if you don't have to.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

In other litter questions, I'm looking for some different litter.

I'm living on the third floor up three flights of steps, so weight is an issue. I've been buying the Tiny Cat Light Weight, but it's like $5 more a container and it seems to get kinda sludgey when it gets wet. I know, clumping litter sometimes does that but it's making my litter box gross.

So, I'm looking for a litter that:

-Is priced okay
-Isn't super heavy
-Clumping
-Multiple cats
-A bonus if it doesn't track a whole lot

I'm afraid to just start trying different litters without recommendations, so toss them at me.

Oh, in other shitbox news, my kitten Mulder gets up in my lap last night and he loving reeked. He somehow had gotten poop on his ears and nowhere else on his body. There was no errant poop anywhere in my apartment and his momma was completely clean as well. I have no idea what sort of Houdini poop maneuver he pulled off. He got an emergency bath, the little shithead.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

In other litter questions, I'm looking for some different litter.

I'm living on the third floor up three flights of steps, so weight is an issue. I've been buying the Tiny Cat Light Weight, but it's like $5 more a container and it seems to get kinda sludgey when it gets wet. I know, clumping litter sometimes does that but it's making my litter box gross.

So, I'm looking for a litter that:

-Is priced okay
-Isn't super heavy
-Clumping
-Multiple cats
-A bonus if it doesn't track a whole lot

I'm afraid to just start trying different litters without recommendations, so toss them at me.

World's best is my favorite. It is more expensive, but it lasts waaay longer and doesn't get that awful sludgey way clay litters do.

HOWEVER, for $10 less per bag, you can get Swheat scoop, which is kind of the same as World's Best but with wheat instead of corn. It lasts slightly less long before getting bad IMO and is a bit dustier, but it is definitely better than typical cheap brands and so a good alternative.

candywife
Mar 3, 2011
I have two cats. One lives with me, and is strictly an indoor cat and the other (Ariel) lives with my Mom and was indoor/outdoor.
I never really had an issue with Ariel being indoor/outdoor because my Mom lives in a really quiet neighborhood where the most dangerous thing I worried about was her eating a bird or mouse infected with something. She's an old cat and basically just slept in a flowerpot on the front porch during summer when it got too hot to sleep inside, and during the day, she'd lounge around in my Mom's garden in the backyard.

Last Sunday, while she was sleeping in her flowerpot around 4am, a coyote snuck up and grabbed her by the neck and dragged her across the driveway.
She got free and tried to climb under the neighbors's fence she tried to get under were woken up by their two dogs going crazy barking and growling. When the neighbors went to see what the dogs were barking at, they saw coyotes circling the car across the street and trying to get at something underneath it.
They chased off the coyotes, and grabbed Ariel and wrapped her up in a towel and brought her to my Mom who took her to the emergency vet.

I've seen coyotes on the outskirts of my county, way back in the mountains during past dry seasons, but never EVER in the city we live in. I guess due to the drought we're going through, they're venturing really far into residential areas in search of food and water. It's literally the last thing I would've expected to attack my cat. I would probably be more worried about a shark growing legs and walking up the beach and eating her, that's how rare coyotes are where I live.

Anyways, she came home a few days ago with a punctured trachea, broken shoulder, and a sprained leg, as well as lacerations everywhere.
Due to her injuries, she has to be confined to a tiny crate for at least 8 weeks so that she doesn't tear her throat open or make her shoulder worse by running or jumping. I feel so awful and heartbroken for her, but amazed that she was able to live through it seeing as after my Mom spoke to the neighbors, it turned out that several other cats had been attacked and eaten and there were a few missing small breed dogs as well.

Is there anything I can do to enhance the time she spends in her crate so she's not so bored and miserable? Has anyone else had to put their kitty in solitary confinement?

(By the way, I brought a bag of treats and a thank you card to the neighbors to give to their dogs for alerting everyone. I am so thankful because without them, Ariel probably wouldn't have made it. Good dogs :) )

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Is the crate near a window? Or can you put a little screen next to her and play some cat-friendly video? I know my cat Ozma kind of goes into a trance at the sight of deep sea/fish/aquarium footage. I know that one of the boarding places in town also plays bird/fish footage on TVs in the rooms with cages for cats to watch - i had her boarded there after a surgery for similar reasons.

Might keep her mind busy while she can't move around much. Sorry to hear about the coyote problems, and the poor lost pets.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Thinking of getting a Bengal cat, does this CL post look legit or no, and what are some questions I should ask:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pet/4644941183.html

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

I'm currently staying in an apartment through airbnb for a week and there's a really cute cat that lives here. I've never lived with a cat before, so I have a behavior question. During the day when I try to pet the cat it'll lightly bite me or paw at me, but at night when I'm trying to go to sleep it'll start purring loudly and won't stop trying to lick me no matter what. Is this normal?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

regularizer posted:

I'm currently staying in an apartment through airbnb for a week and there's a really cute cat that lives here. I've never lived with a cat before, so I have a behavior question. During the day when I try to pet the cat it'll lightly bite me or paw at me, but at night when I'm trying to go to sleep it'll start purring loudly and won't stop trying to lick me no matter what. Is this normal?

Yes, this is completely normal. Cats only want your attention when you're incapable of giving it to them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Deteriorata posted:

Yes, this is completely normal. Cats only want your attention when you're incapable of giving it to them.

Hope does something like this with food. I'll feed her, then five minutes later she'll come a meowing in desperation at me. She'll head toward the room with the bowl when I turn to look, keep staring at me until I'm next to the bowl... then resume eating.

Cats are weird. :psyduck:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

Hope does something like this with food. I'll feed her, then five minutes later she'll come a meowing in desperation at me. She'll head toward the room with the bowl when I turn to look, keep staring at me until I'm next to the bowl... then resume eating.

Cats are weird. :psyduck:

Buffy does much the same with me. She comes in, past the fresh food and jumps in front of me till I take her back downstairs to the kitchen and show her the food. She will then happily munch it.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

My cats meow at me like they're starving to death and try to hop up on the counter while I'm filling their bowls, nearly fall over themselves in their hurry to run to the spot where I put them down... then sniff the food and walk off.

Jerks.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
If I walk into the kitchen while my cat is eating, she'll look up and instinctively start meowing for food, at which point the food she was eating at that exact instant falls out of her mouth and onto the floor, which causes her to look down, notice her food, and resume eating.

She does not eat the piece that fell on the floor. I have to clean that up.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Finally got around to putting up some anti-bird netting to stop my murder-cat from killing every bird in the complex. Got her a new tree as an apology for ruining her favorite pastime, she seems to be enjoying it.

Another question while I'm here. She stopped eating wet food entirely a few (6-12) months back. Occasionally she would take a bite or two of another cat's dinner when we were living with other cats but now that she's the only cat in the house I can't really afford to buy her cans of wet food if she's never going to touch them. Is there any concern for nutrition here for a cat that only eats dry food, are there specific brands of food she should get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

axe, Madbullogna, and Alteisen posted:

:sympathy:

Thanks. :unsmith: I keep catching myself looking out the window for her...

On a completely different note, I usually abhor Buzzfeed listicles but I thought this list of "cat hacks" (a lot of them involve IKEA furniture) was really cute. I think I'm going to make the t-shirt cat tent for Indy this weekend.